Reviewer:

262 users:
Band: Quo Vadis
Album: Defiant Imagination
Release date: 2004

01. Silence Calls The Storm
02. In Contempt
03. Break The Cycle
04. Tunnel Effect (Element Of The Ensemble IV)
05. To The Bitter End
06. In Articulo Mortis
07. Fate's Descent
08. Dead Man's Diary
09. Ego Intuo Et Servo Te

Four years without a Quo Vadis album is rather a long time to wait if you ask me?
For those that doesn't know the Canadian outfit, let me enlighten you, Quo Vadis are a Death Metal band, much like their compatriots Kataklysm and Cryptosity they're playing Progressive, raw but thrashy Death Metal, this is their third studio album, and also the debut of new vocalist Stéphane Paré.

I just can say one thing about the new line up: it really works. For those of you afraid that the line up changes messed up the musical direction of the band, sleep tight now, Quo Vadis is here better than ever.

The album starts with the amazing "Silence Calls The Storm" the perfect opener for the album, amazing bass lines and great melodies combined with aggressive parts, Stéphane Paré does a excellent work in the vocal department, growly but not undecipherable. "Tunnel Effect" is another memorable track, the addition of some clean vocals gives the song a great touch, besides that this is one the catchiest songs in the album.

"Break The Cycle" is another masterpiece of the album, perfectly crafted into one gem of songwriting. Some symphonic arrangements and choirs as well can be found in "In Articulo Mortis" instrumental piece before "Fate's Decent". You have songs for all tastes, fast songs, melodic songs, experimental ones, tempo breaks, excellent musicianship and superb songwriting. Hardcore Death Metal fans and Melodic Death Metal fans will like this release for sure.

My only complain is that the drums sounded way much better in heir previous album "Day Into Night" I feel the drum patterns are more simple this time. Besides that this is quite a fantastic album and I hope that this also means that Quo Vadis is going to be more known to wider audiences, because although they have 3 albums under their sleeve, they're still quite unknown around the globe.

Written by Undercraft | 19.04.2005

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
This band is, first of all, the best technical death metal band ever!

This is Quo Vadis' first release with their new singer, Stéphane Paré. Having seen them live twice I can honestly say that he has the most energy live that I have ever seen someone have. The thing I love about this album is how he managed to capture this insane amount of energy and just make you want to headbang the whole way through this album. For this album they also had Steve DiGiorgio as their bass player.

Read more ››
published 09.06.2005 | Comments (10)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 58 users
04.04.2011 - 08:05
Rating: 9
Guib
Thrash Talker
Man I can't agree more...

This band deserves way more attention
Defiant Imagination is another proof that Quo Vadis can do anything and in a brilliant way that is.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.06.2016 - 20:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
A bit error two other bands you mentioned are much worst as this one,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.07.2018 - 15:56
Rating: 10
metalriff

*Cryptopsy
----
1001 Metal albums to hear before you die
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6531

Hits total: 5839 | This month: 11