06. The Egoism
07. The Betrayal
08. The Forsaking
09. The Oppression
10. Agony
11. Heartwork [Carcass cover] [iTunes bonus]

The best Death Metal album of 2011

Additional info
Produced by Fleshgod Apocalypse and Stefano 'Saul' Morabito.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Ever wondered what would happen if you crossed the symphonies of Nightwish with a brutal death metal style? Well here's your answer; Fleshgod Apocalypse have gone from being one of the best underground death metal bands to one of the most over the top, symphonic and flamboyant death metal bands there are.

Now under the wing of Nuclear Blast, these Italian connoisseurs of classically influenced death metal have taken their previously crafted brand of brutal death metal and cranked every element up to eleven. Much more symphonic than the band's previous offerings, Agony is a brutal blend of death metal mashed together with the symphonies you would expect to hear from bands like Dimmu Borgir. The band are still technically phenomenal, the drums especially are lightning-fast and precise. The violent death metal outbursts have not been compromised here, but they have been coupled together with vast, bombastic symphonic passages that at times are face-meltingly colourful and exquisite, see "The Betrayal" and "The Violation".

Read more ››
published 09.08.2011 | Comments (41)

It's pretty simple: If you like Fleshgod Apocalypse, you'll love Agony. Hop to it, bitches.

Troy Gallant's picks | More picks ››

Found in 74 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 128   Visited by: 1473 users
31.07.2011 - 14:19
Rating: 9
AXA
AWESOME ALBUM
I HEAR IT ALL ... VERY EVIL
31.07.2011 - 14:21
AXA
I WILL VOTE THIS ALBUM : 9
31.07.2011 - 14:22
AXA
AWESOME ALBUM
The Hypocrisy VERY cool soong
31.07.2011 - 14:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by AXA on 31.07.2011 at 14:22

AWESOME ALBUM

switch off the bleeding caps-lock. and next time combine the posts into one.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2011 - 14:44
AXA
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2011 at 14:37

Written by AXA on 31.07.2011 at 14:22

AWESOME ALBUM

switch off the bleeding caps-lock. and next time combine the posts into one.

hay what ever ... i have problem in my hand now i com from hospital I have a pole in my hand so thnx for this kind \../
02.08.2011 - 11:14
Rating: 10
Written by Deadmeat on 06.04.2011 at 11:14

I dont believe it'll be out so soon!
its already leaked been listening to it for 5 days now and i must say fukin epic album
06.08.2011 - 22:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
They finally learned to incorporate the symphonic elements into their high-octane brutal death metal.

Love the bass. This album shakes my entire apartment building.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.08.2011 - 03:23
Pyramid God
I have a feeling this will be in my top 5 albums of all time once I finally get my grubby mits on it. I've been listening on youtube and I can't get enough.
08.08.2011 - 14:16
SexyCat_1113
2011 TOP1,so FUCKING GREAT album !!!
The entire album has technical death sound with classic symphony automsphere !!!
09.08.2011 - 02:26
Rating: 5
Absak
I only gave this crap a 5 because the piano outro track was pretty solid. This really pales in comparison to their previous works in every possible way.
09.08.2011 - 04:05
Tanorlith
Account deleted
Written by Absak on 09.08.2011 at 02:26

I only gave this crap a 5 because the piano outro track was pretty solid. This really pales in comparison to their previous works in every possible way.

Clearly you've been listening to a different band, how is this that different from their first two records?
It's the same recipe only with some more spice - their style has reached a climax on this record... if you call this a piece of crap I can't see how you liked
their other records.
09.08.2011 - 04:13
Tanorlith
Account deleted
Written by MIXHELL on 27.07.2011 at 23:31

Oracles >>> Agony

Very weak clean vocals in Agony..

I doubt he was going for technically sound clean singing, in my opinion the sounding of his clean vocals, fit perfectly with their theme
and especially with the album title; 'Agony'.

The clean vocals done in this manner go well with the growls... giving it an overall theme of desperation and pain.
09.08.2011 - 05:37
Metal_4Ever
I really loved this album and loved the symphonic parts the most
09.08.2011 - 10:56
Rating: 7
MIXHELL
Written by Guest on 09.08.2011 at 04:13

Written by MIXHELL on 27.07.2011 at 23:31

Oracles >>> Agony

Very weak clean vocals in Agony..

I doubt he was going for technically sound clean singing, in my opinion the sounding of his clean vocals, fit perfectly with their theme
and especially with the album title; 'Agony'.

The clean vocals done in this manner go well with the growls... giving it an overall theme of desperation and pain.

For my opinion the clean singing sounds like teen kid singing.
The style like Oracle is better 'cause small symphonic parts. The drums, vocals, guitars sounds are more appreciable unlike Agony.

Agony is too loud and noisy. If they don't have symphonic programmed background music, Agony will be kicks ass more than ever.
09.08.2011 - 12:55
Qube
This album is growing on me with every spin.

I made two mistakes before my first listen:
- Expecting "Mafia the LP"
- Using my shitty headphones with a shitty music player

The result was a disappointment and a phonic mess. I was angry at the whole universe. I wanted to get my ass kicked, and I got my ears raped

Anyway, I revised my expectations, made peace with the fact that this was not the theoretical awesome blend of brutality/technicality/melody I thought it would be, got home to my decent sound system.

Verdict: this is a great piece of music a few bits short of being a masterpiece.

The guitars could have been a little more present. Paolo Rossi's clean vocals get weird at times.

But there is an energy coming from the symphonic parts that enhances the great mix of qualities that blessed their two previous discs. And each song blend into each other (with one pause at the end of the Egoism) which makes each track more like a "movement" rather than a separate song which I find makes the complete album greater than the sum of its parts.

So, no, this album is not going to make me headbang while growling "die die you deserve to die" in the "open space" (true story) but this is going to put severe stress on my cervical vertebrae anyway.
09.08.2011 - 13:38
Mad Architect
This album is something else. If you're a fan of symphonic metal this is pushing "ultimate album". I agree pretty much with what's already been said...maybe they could have incorporated a little more on the guitar work, but with the current intensity of everything else it might be too much. Maybe dial down the clean vocals a tad as well. I think they fit with the songs as a whole just maybe a little too much of them. I get the impression that the limit is being severely pushed while still retaining a very balanced product- which is what Fleshgod Apocalypse has become known for. While I don't feel it deserves a perfect score, a 9.5 is fitting, which is rounded to 10.
09.08.2011 - 15:00
Absak
Written by Guest on 09.08.2011 at 04:05

Clearly you've been listening to a different band, how is this that different from their first two records?
It's the same recipe only with some more spice - their style has reached a climax on this record... if you call this a piece of crap I can't see how you liked
their other records.

Better songwriting doesn't count for anything if the shitty parts (keyboards) make it unlistenable. How it's different from the first two? Those two records actually have riffs to start with, and it's not covered in candy. Mafia also had really bad quality even in lossless format for some reason, and I think the mix on there is still a lot better than here.
09.08.2011 - 15:10
Rulatore
Haters gonna hate
09.08.2011 - 15:46
CyberSymphony
Ollie
This so so damn awesome. Excellent EXCELLENT album.
09.08.2011 - 16:48
Pyramid God
This will be album of the year pretty handily IMO.
09.08.2011 - 17:52
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Just gave it a second listen today and confirmed this album is totally kickass.

I've given my reasons on the comments of the review by Baz, so I won't put them here again.

I'll give a 9 just for the lack of "lead riffs", the guitars are just a backup for the orchestra.
Everything else is pretty damn cool.
10.08.2011 - 01:22
Evilquince
I expected more from this album, they had a nice idea, but I don't like the way they put it all together.
Orchestral parts are amazing at some parts, I must admit, but... the clean vocals are terrible, is somebody torturing him or what :S
I really wanted to give it a higher mark, since I can't wait for more orchestral death albums. It's still fine, but they should learn a few things from Septic Flesh. The Great Mass slays this big time.
----
Some suffer to the point when they grow numb.
Others are so numb they deserve to suffer.
10.08.2011 - 04:39
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Not as good as Oracles or Mafia, but still an awesome record. I'm going to see them Thursday, and I'm ready to see a great show.
11.08.2011 - 04:46
Rulatore
Better with lyrics
11.08.2011 - 04:59
Mad Architect
Even if you don't like this band or genre AT ALL, I don't see how one could justify rating this below a 7. The execution, songwriting, and skill is far above a 7 from a standpoint that is the closest thing to objective as possible.

Isn't it a little unfair to rate an album by pitting it against other albums? If the band had never released so much as an EP and came out with this as a debut album, what would you rate this album as? And do you really think this album deserves a failing grade (50% = F)?
11.08.2011 - 05:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Mad Architect on 11.08.2011 at 04:59
Isn't it a little unfair to rate an album by pitting it against other albums?

While I definitely think this is an excellent album, a band's fan base can't help but compare a new release to previous material. I loved the debut and the EP, and I kept both in mind when giving this a spin for the first time. If anything, it actually helped me appreciate Agony even more.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.08.2011 - 10:50
Rating: 4
Tatras
Album overcrowded, too soft and melodious. "Oracles" were also melodic, symphonic but insertions were more subtle. Where is this power and brutality, which I expected. The only advantage is impressive speed. Rather weak album.
11.08.2011 - 14:07
Absak

Even if you don't like this band or genre AT ALL, I don't see how one could justify rating this below a 7. The execution, songwriting, and skill is far above a 7 from a standpoint that is the closest thing to objective as possible.

Isn't it a little unfair to rate an album by pitting it against other albums? If the band had never released so much as an EP and came out with this as a debut album, what would you rate this album as? And do you really think this album deserves a failing grade (50% = F)?

They could have songwriting skills of 100% perfection for all I care, it does no good if you can't hear it when it's being drowned out by drums and abysmal synths. Seriously I can't hear guitar at all apart from a few chords here and there, let alone bass.
11.08.2011 - 21:58
Mad Architect
Written by Absak on 11.08.2011 at 14:07

They could have songwriting skills of 100% perfection for all I care, it does no good if you can't hear it when it's being drowned out by drums and abysmal synths. Seriously I can't hear guitar at all apart from a few chords here and there, let alone bass.

I suggest getting some better speakers or EQ'ing the ones you have, I can hear every single guitar part well enough to play along with them. I'll agree with you on the bass. Oh well, I suppose I should have known this would upset the purists.
12.08.2011 - 01:12
Tanorlith
Account deleted
Written by Mad Architect on 11.08.2011 at 21:58

Written by Absak on 11.08.2011 at 14:07

I suggest getting some better speakers or EQ'ing the ones you have, I can hear every single guitar part well enough to play along with them. I'll agree with you on the bass. Oh well, I suppose I should have known this would upset the purists.

We think alike.

Hits total: 31424 | This month: 68