06. The Egoism
07. The Betrayal
08. The Forsaking
09. The Oppression
10. Agony
11. Heartwork [Carcass cover] [iTunes bonus]

The best Death Metal album of 2011

Additional info
Produced by Fleshgod Apocalypse and Stefano 'Saul' Morabito.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Ever wondered what would happen if you crossed the symphonies of Nightwish with a brutal death metal style? Well here's your answer; Fleshgod Apocalypse have gone from being one of the best underground death metal bands to one of the most over the top, symphonic and flamboyant death metal bands there are.

Now under the wing of Nuclear Blast, these Italian connoisseurs of classically influenced death metal have taken their previously crafted brand of brutal death metal and cranked every element up to eleven. Much more symphonic than the band's previous offerings, Agony is a brutal blend of death metal mashed together with the symphonies you would expect to hear from bands like Dimmu Borgir. The band are still technically phenomenal, the drums especially are lightning-fast and precise. The violent death metal outbursts have not been compromised here, but they have been coupled together with vast, bombastic symphonic passages that at times are face-meltingly colourful and exquisite, see "The Betrayal" and "The Violation".

Read more ››
published 09.08.2011 | Comments (41)

It's pretty simple: If you like Fleshgod Apocalypse, you'll love Agony. Hop to it, bitches.

Troy Gallant's picks | More picks ››

Found in 74 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 128   Visited by: 1470 users
23.09.2011 - 20:34
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Dangerboner on 23.09.2011 at 19:43

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 20:01

I recently got this album for my birthday, and I must say it's like potato chips. I can't stop listening to it.

The singing doesn't bother you? Do you like it more than Oracles? I might have to listen to this again.

it doesnt bother me (at least). just concentrate to the death metal parts!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
23.09.2011 - 21:01
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 23.09.2011 at 19:43

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 20:01

I recently got this album for my birthday, and I must say it's like potato chips. I can't stop listening to it.

The singing doesn't bother you? Do you like it more than Oracles? I might have to listen to this again.

To be honest, the clean singing shouldn't have been so high - if you ask me, it sounds like the poor guy is getting castrated - but it doesn't completely ruin the experience for me. I've heard worse. Much, much worse. Also, I am quite amused by all the fanboys who keeps screaming negative comments that are basically tantamount to "THEY CHANGED IT, NOW IT SUCKS!"
24.09.2011 - 06:27
Rating: 10
rps

Written by M C Vice on 17.09.2011 at 04:57

Written by Qube on 16.09.2011 at 10:08

Written by M C Vice on 27.08.2011 at 08:50

And which member does the high singing? Sounds a bit like someone's standing on his balls.

Paolo Rossi, the bassist:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2787/4535337245_cfe46e4ab2.jpg

Thanks. So he's basicaly an Italian ICS Vortex (same role vortex had in Dimmu Borgir).

Yeah, and FA is taking the DB stlye to a new level.................
28.09.2011 - 05:36
Rating: 9
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Hey, whith orchestra do they use here? The album booklet doesn't say.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.10.2011 - 21:58
Rating: 5
Absak

Written by M C Vice on 28.09.2011 at 05:36

Hey, whith orchestra do they use here? The album booklet doesn't say.

They didn't use any orchestra here, that should be obvious from the sound. They just used shitty sounding synths.
19.11.2011 - 17:40
Fredd
Account deleted
After several relistens, I'd say this is a very good album, buuut, the vocals are a bit annoying and songs feel repetitive; I still can't tell some songs apart.
15.12.2011 - 00:46
Rating: 4
boo-boo

A wannabe-symphonic bullshit with absolutely no idea of how an orchestra works. Total mess. They should have stayed a brutal death band...
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
15.12.2011 - 00:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by boo-boo on 15.12.2011 at 00:46
A wannabe-symphonic bullshit with absolutely no idea of how an orchestra works. Total mess. They should have stayed a brutal death band...

Still better than Septicflesh.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.12.2011 - 00:57
boo-boo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 00:48

Written by boo-boo on 15.12.2011 at 00:46

Still better than Septicflesh.

I could desagree with ya on this one...septicflesh at least do know, what an orchestra is and can actually INCLUDE it into the music. Unlike these amateurs who simply push the piano notes when they feel bored at times.
----
15.12.2011 - 01:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by boo-boo on 15.12.2011 at 00:57
I could desagree with ya on this one...septicflesh at least do know, what an orchestra is and can actually INCLUDE it into the music. Unlike these amateurs who simply push the piano notes when they feel bored at times.

The difference being that Septicflesh focus more on being a symphonic metal band than anything else, whereas Fleshgod Apocalypse have maintained their BDM ways while incorporating orchestral elements into their music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.12.2011 - 01:10
boo-boo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 01:05

Written by boo-boo on 15.12.2011 at 00:57

The difference being that Septicflesh focus more on being a symphonic metal band than anything else, whereas Fleshgod Apocalypse have maintained their BDM ways while incorporating orchestral elements into their music.

Cannot argue with you on this, but I think that when a band decides to incorporate orchestral sound into their music, they should pay more attention to it. I admit septicflesh have grown "softer" on their last albums, but the symphonic part is almost flawless. Fleshgod apocalypse did not change their style, just added some elements which I did not find interesting or enriching at all.
----
15.12.2011 - 01:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by boo-boo on 15.12.2011 at 01:10
Fleshgod apocalypse did not change their style, just added some elements which I did not find interesting or enriching at all.

And I can't argue with that, since it's your opinion.
----
15.12.2011 - 01:14
boo-boo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 01:11

Written by boo-boo on 15.12.2011 at 01:10
Fleshgod apocalypse did not change their style, just added some elements which I did not find interesting or enriching at all.

And I can't argue with that, since it's your opinion.

Seems legit
----
14.01.2012 - 22:37
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Ah.. there is a gawd. Or is there just Francesco Paoli and FA.
24.02.2012 - 03:05
Rating: 7
*!*

The problem with this one is the mixing imo because the orchestra had taken the role of the lead guitars but its somehow buried under the drums vocals, and the rhythm guitar is also droned so there's nothing really taking the lead. you can hear the symphonic sound but its not "out there" enough to take the lead and you can hear the rhythm guitar but its also droned with no real riffs.
01.03.2012 - 23:52
Rating: 6
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by *!* on 24.02.2012 at 03:05

The problem with this one is the mixing imo because the orchestra had taken the role of the lead guitars but its somehow buried under the drums vocals, and the rhythm guitar is also droned so there's nothing really taking the lead. you can hear the symphonic sound but its not "out there" enough to take the lead and you can hear the rhythm guitar but its also droned with no real riffs.

Yea i agree. Its hard to decipher whats really going on in the songs at times, prolly cuz theres too many tracks with differing melodies and like you said the mixing. That is the biggest flaw of this album and what holds it back from being exceptional IMO, though im not a exactly a fan of Brootal DM so maybe this band just isnt for me.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
02.03.2012 - 02:21
Rating: 7
*!*

Written by AngelofDeth on 01.03.2012 at 23:52

Written by *!* on 24.02.2012 at 03:05

Yea i agree. Its hard to decipher whats really going on in the songs at times, prolly cuz theres too many tracks with differing melodies and like you said the mixing. That is the biggest flaw of this album and what holds it back from being exceptional IMO, though im not a exactly a fan of Brootal DM so maybe this band just isnt for me.

im no expert in brutal DM as well but i think riffs/lead guitars "or in this case symphonies" should take the lead so you could actually hear them and understand whats going on
03.05.2012 - 00:23
Metal Addiction

I don't understand why some guys don't like this album. I admit that this album is full of likes and dislikes. I'm the one who thinks this album has more progressive harmony between orchestra and death 'Brutality.' The position of clean vox is the main problem on this album, but the possibility to combine the two different musical elements makes me expect their next album. They will be closer to the perfection next album . I bet
07.06.2012 - 01:03
Rating: 10
Xytraguptor

Absolute symphonic annihilation.
08.06.2012 - 06:55
Sonic MrSumo

I'm perplexed as to how this album did not make (or has not made) the Top 20 of 2011...it gets better with each listen!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
08.06.2012 - 18:51
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 08.06.2012 at 06:55

I'm perplexed as to how this album did not make (or has not made) the Top 20 of 2011...it gets better with each listen!

I think it's just too much to swallow for a lot of people, too complex/too harsh etc. Hence they vote low, thus not reaching top 20.
08.06.2012 - 20:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Timmeh on 08.06.2012 at 18:51

Written by Sonic MrSumo on 08.06.2012 at 06:55

I think it's just too much to swallow for a lot of people, too complex/too harsh etc. Hence they vote low, thus not reaching top 20.

Or people simply don't like it. Sometimes the simplest reason is the correct one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.06.2012 - 02:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.06.2012 at 20:43
Or people simply don't like it.

Normally I'd agree with this, but in this album's case I'd venture so far as to say some Septciflesh fanboys got upset with seeing another symphonic death metal album creeping up on their fave release of the year...
----
09.06.2012 - 02:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.06.2012 at 02:06

Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.06.2012 at 20:43
Or people simply don't like it.

Normally I'd agree with this, but in this album's case I'd venture so far as to say some Septciflesh fanboys got upset with seeing another symphonic death metal album creeping up on their fave release of the year...

Hah, I forgot about that option. Sounds correct.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.06.2012 - 03:05
Sonic MrSumo

Well, I think the album is a masterpiece, and a near perfect balance of brutal death and well placed orchestral wonderment!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
15.06.2012 - 15:08
Illog1cal
Account deleted
The ideas they have are good and you can hear that the orchestra does sometimes compliment the chunky guitar sounds, its clear they want to have a strong symphonic sound. The problem is that it is not executed as well as it should have been.
15.06.2012 - 18:00
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I have the SAME feeling after listening to any song of this album. so, i think that it lacks in variety. i hope the next one will be better cause these guys seem to be really talented...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
13.10.2012 - 18:21
musicalkaratekid

This band are really becoming a favourite in my DM band list, they never fail to impress. I don't think they're any good live, but on record they seem to get everything just right, and although there isn't a lot of variety, the atmosphere created by classical influences and brutal sounds are superb. The only thing that annoys me slightly is the harsh vocals, which don't seem to be as consistent as the cleaner ones.
28.10.2012 - 03:57
PowerThrash

Bruti-ful

07.08.2013 - 01:06
Stunning Cactus

Wow. This is like Wintersun if they doubled the speed of their songs. And I actually really like it.

Hits total: 31350 | This month: 71