Metal Storm logo
Do you still feel like listening to metal when you're sick?

Original post

Posted by caimanjosh, 13.04.2011 - 00:13
I find that when I'm feeling sick (I guess sick = anything worse than typical cold...so bad cold, flu, anything else that makes me feel tired and crappy), I seem to lose my desire to listen to metal. I just feel too run down, like I don't have the energy to enjoy it. Generally I know I'm getting better when I start feeling the urge to throw on some Hibria (or whatever my latest interest is) again. Does it work the same way for most people? I'd guess yes, but no way to find out without asking, so cast your vote and add your comments.

Poll

Do you still feel like listening to metal when you're sick?

Hell yeah, headbanging helps me recover!
Not as much, gotta tone it down a bit
Not much, just don't feel it then
No way, Blackmore's Night til I'm better

Total votes: 153
09.06.2011 - 10:43
Dööm

Actually I relax very well to metal music. I think I have just gotten used to it an associate it with pleasantness.
Put on you big headphones, pick a Nile, Behemoth or The Ocean album and just lie back and listen to it in its entirety - that's pure wellnes brought to you from the abyss. At least I find that very relaxing. Even though the music is pretty wild, its comforting to keep out all the sounds that you cannot choose yourself. Of course, if I have a thundering headache I think I'll go with something less explosive like good ol' Sabbath.
09.06.2011 - 17:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I listen to metal in pretty much all occasions, so that would be yes.

But different everytime because of what I might need.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.06.2011 - 05:07
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Not really. I don't think that listening to metal in sickness would help you resting your head. Regardless of how much you'd enjoy it, it would inevitably refrain your body from making a quick recovery. But I'm going to say this though, metal helps me fall asleep all the time, which is pretty much absurd because the heavier the music i'm listening to is, the easier it becomes for me to fall asleep . For instance, last night my lullaby was The Crown's song "Candles". All I have to do is simply to put on my headphones and death metal does the rest for me .
10.06.2011 - 08:13
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 09.06.2011 at 17:41

I listen to metal in pretty much all occasions, so that would be yes.

But different everytime because of what I might need.

I'm the same way.

When I was in the military all my fellow buddys would always ask how I fell asleep with crazy metal playing.
15.09.2011 - 04:21
xxVal

No matter how sick i get i have metal or whatever i am in the mood for playing.
It makes me feel better and it brings my spirit up. gives me energy to actually move, even if its just a finger.
----
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction..
15.09.2011 - 06:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by xxVal on 15.09.2011 at 04:21

gives me energy to actually move,

Try Red Bull from the next time!!
15.09.2011 - 06:19
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I prefer Heavy Metal tbh but egregious Rap is like a cherry on a cake..!! (:
15.09.2011 - 12:46
RockeRoy

When your sick it's a great time to listen to music becasue you got nothing but time:) and some Metal is good when sick, it scare the virus out of your boddy
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
16.09.2011 - 04:25
Silent_wolfer

Even thou i haven't tired it YET, i most definetly will the next time i'm feeling under the weather.
16.09.2011 - 05:35
Richard

It depends how poorly I'm feeling, of course sometimes listening to any sort of music is the last thing you want to do if you're feeling really grotty. But mild ailments can be eased by listening to Metal, by getting the juices flowing (not in a pants staining kind of way!) and making one feel more upbeat and energised.
----
16.09.2011 - 10:29
whatsacow

I still listen to metal, but generally post metal, or depressive black metal... or even alternative metal. Although when I'm sick I tend to listen to a lot of post rock and indy.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
17.09.2011 - 03:37
xxVal

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 15.09.2011 at 06:17

Written by xxVal on 15.09.2011 at 04:21

gives me energy to actually move,

Try Red Bull from the next time!!

I prefer Monster Thank you!!
----
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction..
18.09.2011 - 01:19
listmor

It all depends on the sickness. If a headache is involved then the volume certainly goes down in proportion to the severity of the headache. In any other sickness then the metal is still going hell bent for leather.
18.09.2011 - 01:24
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I'd listen to metal when I'm sick, but not tech-death metal!
18.09.2011 - 01:39
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 08.06.2011 at 21:55

Well actually when im sick I must admit that I gotta tone it down alot. Not that I don't wanna listen to it but when I got those crappy headaches I just can't ... usually it pisses me off even more, like being sick ain't enough.

Me too, but I prefer listening to rock or slowest metal songs. Actually the guitar solos and riffs, pisses me off the most in this situation.
18.09.2011 - 06:04
Gelare

I faced a bad disease last summer. I spent terrible time 'n i couldn't sleep during nights; therefore, I used to listen to music all day long. honestly, I didn't listen to extreme stuffs during that time ( what I mostly listen to ), but still I remember some of Agalloch musics were like strong painkillers to me that I could never stop listening to.
oh I remember I used to listen to Ihasan and Shining ( the Swedish one ) a lot, too. well, those are extreme now!
so Hell yeah, I DO listen to metal even if I feel like I'm dying!!
06.11.2011 - 11:28
ToMegaTherion

Depends on what kind of sick, but most of the time hell yeah. If its a headache or migraine im inclined to go for slightly less heavy stuff, but still metal.
08.11.2011 - 06:07
Mattybu

Interesting question, never really thought of it much. I listen to less I would say, I just feel like music isn't enough to keep my mind off being sick whereas like gamin' so hard keeps me occupied and it's less bad.
09.11.2011 - 23:09
NecroCorpSlayer

When I'm sick, I sometimes like to listen to some goregrind(Carcass-style medigore). I don't know why, but it seems to fit the theme.
11.11.2011 - 16:27
GT
Coffee!!
It depends on how sick I am. If not "near death"-sick I'll listen to metal all day. Otherwise I won't be listening to anything at all
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
11.11.2011 - 22:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
When I'm sick, I like to keep myself occupied. Although you're usually advised to rest/stay in bed when you're ill, doing that just makes me feel worse. Because I can't get to sleep, and then the sickness feels even worse, because I'm totally focussed on it. So if I've got a bad flu or something, I'll play a video game, or watch a DVD. Or play some metal.
12.11.2011 - 01:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.11.2011 at 22:27

When I'm sick, I like to keep myself occupied. Although you're usually advised to rest/stay in bed when you're ill, doing that just makes me feel worse.

I fully agree with this... By "ignoring" the sickness I usually get healthy faster That doesn't mean I would do stupid things like running around naked during winter but you get the point.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.11.2011 - 13:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.11.2011 at 01:07
I fully agree with this... By "ignoring" the sickness I usually get healthy faster That doesn't mean I would do stupid things like running around naked during winter but you get the point.

If I've got a bad flu or something similar, just walking a few steps is quite a task, let alone running. I dunno if it helps my illness pass faster, but I feel that trying to focus some of my attention away from feeling very sick helps a bit. Lying in bed with a flu is like torture, cos I can't sleep, and I'm just lying there suffering. So I never actually try and sleep when I'm sick, I just try and do stuff to occupy me till I fall asleep from exhaustion. hehe
18.11.2011 - 19:00
Night Sight

Yes,surly ,music helps me forget my sickness.specially when i listen to my favorite song by my favorite band then i don't feel sickness any more.i like listening to ihsahn,immortal and mostly my dying bride at that time
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
23.11.2011 - 21:18
HeavyMetalBullet

For me gotta tone it down a little if a headache is involved but other than that it's metal music constantly, my house seems like something is missing if music isn't playing... Though there is nothing worse than bad music if you are ill so think you gotta stick to the ones you know and love to get you through it, might not be the time for experimenting with new bands!
----
Heavy Metal Bullet
Blog for New Metal Bands and Album/Gig Reviews
http://heavymetalbullet.blogspot.com/
02.12.2011 - 03:08
Hylia

Of course, im listening to Primordial right now and im super sick, stayed home from work today
02.12.2011 - 03:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Hylia on 02.12.2011 at 03:08
Of course, im listening to Primordial right now and im super sick, stayed home from work today

Get better soon!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.12.2011 - 04:03
psykometal
A staff guy...
I have to back Richard on this one. It depends on how sick I am, but in general the answer is yes. And Gonzo I have been asked the same question regarding sleep/concentration while listening to metal. \m/
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

02.12.2011 - 05:34
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
When im sick its 2 hour rotations of MC Hammer and The Beastie Boys.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.12.2011 - 16:51
Don Martin
le fu-
I have the most terrible cold in years. Just received my Dr. Living Dead LP in the mail and yesterday I've been listening the Swedish Death Metal compilation which Daniel Ekeroth released a couple of years ago. I must say, I think I've headbanged all the snot out of mah brains
----
What a tackastrophe!