15. Ragtime Dandies [iTunes bonus]

Found in 15 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 26   Visited by: 597 users
18.04.2011 - 03:22
Rating: 9
Doom Trooper

So Periphery takes Metalcore, Djent, Groove, and some elctronic influences, throws them in a blender and creates this masterpeice. The guitar work is phenomenal. The vocalist is insane. His screaming range and singing range ratio is evenly great. The solo section in The Walk makes my hair stand on end every time. Anyone else as addicted as I am?
18.04.2011 - 03:25
Rating: 6
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Terrible, overrated album. emo kids need to stay away from metal

When did Justin Bieber join After the Burial?
18.04.2011 - 03:34
Doom Trooper

This album is way out of my comfort zone. I am not normally a fan of his clean singing style but this album is an exception for me. Im normally more of a death metal freak. I feel like they are doing something really original, especially with the whole djent thing.
07.07.2011 - 03:39
Thrasher Hungary

What the hell is this...?!
At first listening, i couldn't trust my ears...
Metalcore with some us power or maybe groove metal feeling riffs and strange screaming?
Till now, maybe a weak 7 points (it's not good at me, it only means that technically the music is not amateur or bad).
Someone knows which kind of "prog" metal is this - and which influences has got thisn album? Thanks.
07.07.2011 - 05:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Thrasher Hungary on 07.07.2011 at 03:39

Someone knows which kind of "prog" metal is this - and which influences has got thisn album? Thanks.

Uh, I think these guys are part of that "djent" thing some people are talking about.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.07.2011 - 20:52
Void Eater
Account deleted
I'm gonna go against my inner elitist metal nerd and say that I quite like this album. The vocals, both clean and harsh, are somewhat irritating, as is the metalcore chugging, but when they go into those pointlessley technical riffs, it becomes a very good album.
12.08.2011 - 22:05
sasquatch

It's good, part of the collection of mildly metalcore bands that don't really play very metalcore-ish stufff and are really good. btbam, pth, human abstract, these guys.
27.08.2011 - 05:04
The Benighted

Written by sasquatch on 12.08.2011 at 22:05

It's good, part of the collection of mildly metalcore bands that don't really play very metalcore-ish stufff and are really good. btbam, pth, human abstract, these guys.

Tesseract and The Contortionist are pretty similar as well. Same subgenre or whatever. They're both of about the same quality. Definitely check them out sometime.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
28.08.2011 - 07:29
sasquatch

I know tesseract is good. When the contortionist isn't in breakdown mode i like them. too much breakdownage for me though
30.08.2011 - 13:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Curious about this one of late.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.09.2011 - 20:09
Rating: 7
Regolith

This band/album is an example of the ever increasing scene of surfacing closet musicians where, technically speaking, they are very, very good, but on a soulful, 'grab-you' level they just don't do it. There were some very catchy, head-bangy parts, but there were also a lot of guitar parts that sounded like a practice session with a drum beat to it...

"Hey guys, I'm going to pratice this huge arpeggio that I've played a thousand times in a room...think you could put a beat to it?"
03.12.2011 - 20:38
Regolith

Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.07.2011 at 05:04

Written by Thrasher Hungary on 07.07.2011 at 03:39

Uh, I think these guys are part of that "djent" thing some people are talking about.

Indeed, the 'Djentlemen's Club'.
20.02.2012 - 08:10
Rating: 10
Gelati

A masterpiece in recording, writing (from a theory standpoint), and a fresh sound. Yea Spencer's vocals are sometimes a little emo sounding but he is ever improving (if you've heard their newer releases or seen them live). The range he covers is absurd. This is simply one of the most unique albums I've ever heard and it is personally one of my all time favorites.
08.07.2012 - 19:14
Rating: 8
Coolingsrock

Written by Dangerboner on 18.04.2011 at 03:25

Terrible, overrated album. emo kids need to stay away from metal

When did Justin Bieber join After the Burial?

shows how much you know about metal. NOTHING!
There is good and bad in all genres.
11.07.2012 - 00:46
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I looked at your album collection and laughed
24.08.2012 - 18:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
So much potential ruined with godawful pop cleans.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.11.2012 - 20:00
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
They need to re-record the vocals for this album considering how much the vocalist has improved.
11.04.2013 - 22:15
Gelati

Written by LeKiwi on 11.11.2012 at 20:00

They need to re-record the vocals for this album considering how much the vocalist has improved.

I'd kill for them to rerecord the entire thing in this fashion. The production on "II" was top notch.
09.05.2013 - 00:44
Erik M.

Written by Dangerboner on 11.07.2012 at 00:46

I looked at your album collection and laughed

I might know why: 2nd favourite subgenre = metalcore.
21.02.2015 - 11:26
Kuroboshi

Written by Gelati on 20.02.2012 at 08:10

A masterpiece in recording, writing (from a theory standpoint), and a fresh sound. Yea Spencer's vocals are sometimes a little emo sounding but he is ever improving (if you've heard their newer releases or seen them live). The range he covers is absurd. This is simply one of the most unique albums I've ever heard and it is personally one of my all time favorites.

Sure, I totally agree that this is a technical masterpiece, and the vocalist's range is amazing. However, (for me at least) the album feels really soulless, and thus, uninteresting. When I listen to music I want to feel emotionally engaged, but when listening to this, I feel like a bystander, just admiring how technically proficient they are.
24.02.2015 - 01:20
Gelati

Written by Kuroboshi on 21.02.2015 at 11:26

Sure, I totally agree that this is a technical masterpiece, and the vocalist's range is amazing. However, (for me at least) the album feels really soulless, and thus, uninteresting. When I listen to music I want to feel emotionally engaged, but when listening to this, I feel like a bystander, just admiring how technically proficient they are.

Your points are perfectly valid and justified. To me it's not about technicality showing. I just love heavily layered chord textures which is the main reason I love a lot of the new school metalcore and djent. It's not as emotionally engaging as 'Still Life' or 'Dead End Kings' or anything like that but that's not what I come to Periphery for. Nothing wrong with your feelings about it at all though. Just providing a bit of an explanation for why I rate it so highly.
25.02.2015 - 00:56
Kuroboshi

Written by Gelati on 24.02.2015 at 01:20

Written by Kuroboshi on 21.02.2015 at 11:26

Your points are perfectly valid and justified. To me it's not about technicality showing. I just love heavily layered chord textures which is the main reason I love a lot of the new school metalcore and djent. It's not as emotionally engaging as 'Still Life' or 'Dead End Kings' or anything like that but that's not what I come to Periphery for. Nothing wrong with your feelings about it at all though. Just providing a bit of an explanation for why I rate it so highly.

Same for me. I'm not criticizing you, just providing my point of view.
05.04.2018 - 01:45
TreyWeddle

Musically, this album is amazing. I have a very hard time dealing with as I call "scream and sing," ya know where the verses are growled and the chourses sound like a pop song? Well, as I've said before, this album is amazing musically. Vocally, however, that is a whole different story. I can stand his screams because they sound ok. His clean vocals just kinda irritate me in all honesty. This album had so much potential, but it fails to deliver with vocals. I would like to hear an instrumental version of this album.
26.10.2021 - 08:28
Rating: 8
Mehrad

Yeah vocals could be on your nerves, but the riffing is fire.
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
26.10.2021 - 11:41
musclassia

Since I got into Periphery, I've definitely preferred the albums that followed this one, although maybe I need to give it a more thorough revisit. However, The Walk and Racecar are killer songs, particularly the latter
04.06.2022 - 07:11
Rating: 5
24emd
Theory Snob
Honestly, all I can say is I think this album sucks. Some good moments, but it's all drowned out by the many things I can't stand about this album. Vocals are terrible, they improve so much on the other albums. Guitar work is cool, and I like it from a musical perspective, but the actual sound of the guitars is pretty disgusting. Electronic sections were cool, for example at the end of All New Materials, but overall I can say the best part of this album was "Last but not least is Tom Murphy, providing the rumble from down under, and is the only member of Periphery decent enough for the institution of marriage!"

P3 and 4 are amazing though.

Edit: Sheesh that was harsh. I still feel the same way, but 'sucks' is probably a little extreme.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums

Hits total: 11162 | This month: 21