07. Remaining
08. Moonlight Lady
09. Annihilation
10. Fly Arrow Fly (Crécy 1346)
11. Mona Lisa
12. Hold Your Ground
13. Born To Play Metal
14. Metal Rages On

Well, it's comforting to know that at least some people are making an effort to keep the "metal" in power metal. To be fair, this isn't much of a mind-blower in terms of originality or ingenuity, it's just a satisfying melodic metal release.

What makes this album so "metal" in comparison to so much out there is the strong emphasis put on the rhythm section. For better or worse, it seems power metal has become an entirely melody based form of music, a good, heavy rhythm seems secondary, if not completely ignored nowadays. Fireforce on the other hand have seemed to build things from the bottom up - give you something to bang your head to, then lay the melodies on top. The result is a much heavier sound than your typical method of creating some melodic leads then slapping a completely forgettable rhythm section underneath. The vocals match the music very well. The vocalist is far from what you'd consider a virtuoso, yet doesn't soften the delivery of the riffs - he's caught somewhere between Rolf of Running Wild fame and Sodom's Tom Angelripper.

Heaviness is nice, not going overboard on cheesy melodies is nice, so what's wrong with this album? Well, aside from being a fairly unexciting middle-of-the-road heavy power metal album (despite the avoidance of horrible cliches - instrument wise), the lyrics are utterly embarrassing. Yes, yes, metal is music, first and foremost, not poetry. Overlooking horrid lyrics has it's limits though, if lines like "Metal headbangers/Raise your fists/make sure we exist" don't make you cringe, then you'll probably enjoy this a lot more thoroughly than I have. This is just one example, judging by the thick accent, I doubt this guy has any idea how god-awful his lyrics actually are. No human with a halfway decent grasp on English would write anything nearly as bad as what's found on this album.

Worth checking out for those who walk on the heavy side of the heavy/power hybrid fence. Enjoyable, but altogether just another "ok" album to add to the pile.

Written on 19.04.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 255 users
19.04.2011 - 14:25
RavenKing

I guess I know what you're coming from with your criticism at the lyrics. I haven't read them but I get the picture. Personnally, I hate "hail metal" lyrics.

By the way, the album cover could as well belong to an Iron Fire album.
Visually, it's a rip-off in every conceivable way.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
19.04.2011 - 17:21
Mikrokosmos
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 19.04.2011 at 14:25

By the way, the album cover could as well belong to an Iron Fire album.
Visually, it's a rip-off in every conceivable way.

agreed lol

"No human with a halfway decent grasp on English would write anything nearly as bad as what's found on this album."

Remember Manowar, the kings of cheesy metal?
19.04.2011 - 19:27
Valentin B
Iconoclast
The cover reminds me more of 3 Inches of Blood more than anything else, another "revival" band. the song titles sound nice though "metal rages on", as awesome as it sounds, could have been the brainchild of Jack Black or something lol. anyway my own music is pretty much something like that, so i could check this out.
20.04.2011 - 05:42
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
"Raise your fists, make sure we exist!"

I actually find that so cheesy it's awesome!
20.04.2011 - 16:33
Joker

FireForce!!!!
DragonWind...lol
24.04.2011 - 12:18
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Nicely accurate review, particularly the vocal point... I rarely enjoy stuff in this style but I just checked the Myspace music and it's not bad at all. Certainly heavy enough. Air-drumming "Born to Play Metal" quite enjoyable indeed
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays

Hits total: 5917 | This month: 5