Metal Storm logo
Kamelot - Roy Khan Leaves The Band, Seek Replacement (UPDATED)

Original news, published on 22.04.2011

Despite Kamelot themselves not announcing it, Roy Khan has issued a statement on his Myspace confirming the rumors of him leaving the band:

"Dear fans & friends,

There have been a lot of speculations around why I am not touring with Kamelot and I want to make a statement although it may not prevent further guessing as to what's actually going on. It is a fact however that I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band. Naturally enough they were shocked (as was the label and everyone else working with Kamelot). In addition to risk of dropping ticket sales they wanted to give me time to think things over, and so I did. My decision still stands; It is finished.

I am currently spending time with my family in Norway taking it easy and wondering profoundly what the future is going to bring. Communication with the outer world has been so and so, but I have had several talks with Thomas along the way although I am still called in sick. I am terribly sorry that my decision is affecting so many others and I want you to know I wish the band & associates all the best for the future and that I enjoyed every second in the spotlight. How could I not...they were nourished by the best fans in the world! I am eternally thankful for everything you and Kamelot have given me and equally sorry that it has to end here. The good news is; God was there after all...

Love you to death!

All the best & so long,
Roy Khan"

UPDATED, on 22.04.2011 (Thanks to Zhao)

The remaining members of Kamelot have released the following statement regarding the departure of the band's frontman, Roy Khan:

"With a heavy heart we can now announce that Roy Khan has chosen to leave the band. We wanted to give him ample time for this kind of decision, due to his recent burnout and also the amount of amazing times we have shared with him in Kamelot. We respectfully accept his resignation from the band and wish him the best in his future endeavors. The timing is actually good since we feel the uncertainty the fans have had can now be laid to rest and the band can move on to finding a new singer.

"The tour is going great so far and the fans have been amazing throughout this entire process" - adds keyboardist Oliver Palotai. With the new tour already in progress, Kamelot has already begun the search for a new vocalist. "I have a few guys in mind", said band founder Thomas Youngblood. "And as you can imagine, it is a very important decision. There are some amazing singers that have already contacted us on this but we will take our time to find the right person". Due to the overwhelming success of the recent shows in South America, we are pleased to announce new shows in November/December for Europe (stay tuned).

* The band headlines the Print de Temps Festival tonight and will play a Amsterdam (nearing sold-out) concert tomorrow followed by a full headliner tour with special guests Evergrey, Amaranthe and Sons of Seasons. (* Guest vocalists Fabio Lione and Tommy Karevik). Thank you for your support and see you on tour!

Thomas, Casey, Oliver and Sean"

Source: kamelot.com
Band profile: Kamelot
Posted: 22.04.2011 by Zhao

Comments page 2 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 95   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 724 users
22.04.2011 - 18:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
This seems to be another really bad spring for metal.
22.04.2011 - 18:55
wty789

WTF,"Kamlot=Khan"is always in my mind.............
22.04.2011 - 19:01
MetalSpider

What the hell!!! First Jeff and Van leave Nevermore!!!! and now Roy Khan leaving Kamelot!?!?

Kamelot won't be the same without him thats for sure! At least I got to see them live. But this truly sucks.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
22.04.2011 - 19:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Valentin B on 22.04.2011 at 18:51

At least the guys are still alive though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.04.2011 - 19:05
Zenzero
Zenzero
It will be better from now on! Change singer and go with something new!
22.04.2011 - 19:25
Timmeh
Dudeman
Seriously? What the hell is going on...?
22.04.2011 - 19:30
Trojanman190

Wow, just... wow. This is just pure suck =(
22.04.2011 - 19:41
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Wow, this sucks. Roy was one of my favorite singers and I refused to see the band live without him when they came to the USA...

The only bright side I can see in this, is that the last album sucked so maybe with a new singer, they will bring something fresh to the table. Then again, the last album sucking was due to songwriting which I don't actually think Roy was part of... : /
22.04.2011 - 19:43
mikeprado30

Truly bad news, now let's see how it will be without Khan, but I agree that it will NEVER be the same, not matters who would be the new singer (Fabio? I doubt it, he has now much business with Rhapsody and Vision Divine). MAYBE the best replacement would be Alfred Romero from Dark Moor (their vocals are too similar, and the same Alfred has stated as himself very influenciated by Khan).
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
22.04.2011 - 19:47
bazinko

Aww man... okay. This is sad. I did NOT see this coming. And it sucks... I love Roy. As for a replacement... I VOTE JORN! Haha, that'd be so great. I've always liked their original singer too though... but I'm one among few, that's for sure. But Roy fits Kamelot so well, it'd be a shame to see them try something new and fuck it all up. Oh well, I'm prepared for anything now!
22.04.2011 - 19:52
opeth771

Wow... I am shocked... I never had a chance to see them live... RIP Kamelot
22.04.2011 - 19:56
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Such bad news, one of the best vocals in Power metal and favourite male vocalist. They need to find a very VERY replacement for him.
22.04.2011 - 20:00
Justicelust

What?! really?!!!!!! please someone tell me that I'm dreaming
22.04.2011 - 20:21
Sati

Damn, I wish I could have seen them with Roy. Although, Fabio was a more than brilliant choice for this tour.

They will sure have tough time finding a singer as Roy Khan undoubtedly has one of the most amazing and powerful voices in metal music, furthermore, and I think this is even more important, he does know how to use it. Amazing singer and artist.
22.04.2011 - 20:25
Yasmine

Written by kaos666 on 22.04.2011 at 16:58

I think we all saw this one coming more than Loomis and Williams, but I am still so sad about it...

That's exactly what I was thinking, I understand this one too. Loomis and Willams one makes little sense really, but I know "Shit happens" lol.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
22.04.2011 - 20:36
kefa

Fuck:(
22.04.2011 - 20:48
Byners

Gosh! The difference between Kamelot and the rest was Roy Khan T_T
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
22.04.2011 - 20:52
In Bone Factory

This year is the year of "leaving bands". what da fuck!!!
----
The End Is Nigh ...
22.04.2011 - 20:53
farfaramir

This was my reaction when I saw this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54
22.04.2011 - 21:01
Dargor

Written by farfaramir on 22.04.2011 at 20:53

This was my reaction when I saw this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54

Currently, I have mixed feeling between: "HAHAHA Hilarious!" and "...Not funny..."
22.04.2011 - 21:17
Danyael

Written by Enissa on 22.04.2011 at 16:53

Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 22.04.2011 at 16:13

Written by Danyael on 22.04.2011 at 16:06

The real question is: WHY?

Rumor is that "he has found religion" or something the like.

I dont think so, coz he used to put a large cross around his neck (I saw that in the booklets)...

Maybe its the "Michael Kiske complex" again lol. Maybe he somehow figured that metal is satanic and evil and now being a religious freak doesn't want to have anything with it.

Then again, Black Halo was already quite anti-christian, and its been 6 years since it came out, so If that were really the case, he probably would have left the band much sooner. Who knows.
22.04.2011 - 22:08
Enissa

Written by Danyael on 22.04.2011 at 21:17

Written by Enissa on 22.04.2011 at 16:53

Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 22.04.2011 at 16:13

Written by Danyael on 22.04.2011 at 16:06

The real question is: WHY?

Rumor is that "he has found religion" or something the like.

I dont think so, coz he used to put a large cross around his neck (I saw that in the booklets)...

Maybe its the "Michael Kiske complex" again lol. Maybe he somehow figured that metal is satanic and evil and now being a religious freak doesn't want to have anything with it.

Then again, Black Halo was already quite anti-christian, and its been 6 years since it came out, so If that were really the case, he probably would have left the band much sooner. Who knows.

yeah, that too...!!!
22.04.2011 - 22:20
Radwolf

"Why, oh why, my god
Have you abandoned me..."

For me Khan is the Kamelot's soul, like the 'K' of 'Kamelot. Now, they are 'amelot'...
22.04.2011 - 22:28
BlankFile

"Ghost Ópera" and "Poetry for the Poisoned" were letdowns for me and some of the passion i had for this band dissapeared with time, altough i remain a fan of the band. For that matter i think the departure of Khan from Kamelot is kind of shocking in a way, but at the same time predictable due to the latest events surrounding the band, more specifically Roy Khan´s personal problems. Well im curious to see what kind of sound will Kamelot be playing from now on, without Khan´s voice.
22.04.2011 - 22:29
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Does anyone actualy knows if the god that Roy had found, is actualy Christianity at all... I'm kinda suspicious, I have some feeling it's something else ...

And I'm devasted, since they announced that he will sit out tour, I expected that he's done with Kamelot, and had hoped against hope that this is temporary ... now that it's official ... I'm wrecked...

It may not be nice thing to say, but... who gives a fuck about god or gods anyway. It's personal, what the hell on earth it has to do with metal, or being a singer...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
22.04.2011 - 22:47
benjamink19
Account deleted
Yes, this is probably the worst news for Kamelot (who happens to be my favorite band); they lost the soul of their sound., and I'm devastated. But on the bright side, since he's done with Kamelot he might do other things. I'm hoping for a possible reunion of Conception, but who knows?
22.04.2011 - 23:12
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Irritable Ted on 22.04.2011 at 17:04

Absolutely gutted. But not at all surprised.

Don't know now if I want them to carry on. Who has the character in their voice to pull it off? Not Fabio, he is not good enough.

DC Cooper, Tony Kakko, Andi Kuntz, Titta Tani?

Don't touch Tony, he has his own bussiness to run

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.04.2011 at 19:04

Written by Valentin B on 22.04.2011 at 18:51

At least the guys are still alive though.

Yeah, remember Dio.
The worst part from me is that I've missed a chance to see them with Roy. But it's not just about us, it's about the guys. If Roy was in such a state that he would leave Kamelot 'cos of it, it's quite sad, he's a great man and artist, he doesn't deserve to suffer from burnouts. And having a band is a bit like having a family, you can't simply replace someone without a huge risk of it not turning out right.
----
7.0 means the album is good
23.04.2011 - 00:15
Saeed_p

It seems that these days are ... days for metal !!! the last bad news was about loomis and today is a bout roy . so what is next? (maybe dave from megadeth!!)
23.04.2011 - 01:43
Sasha Batrakov
Account deleted
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
23.04.2011 - 02:19
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
This news caught me by surprise. Khan gave everything he had on Karma, Epica, and The Black Halo; his legacy will live for forever. Now lets hope that the replacement is up to his standards.

I have Andre Matos in mind, but I highly doubt it will happen, or if he would even fit well with the band.
----

Hits total: 33104 | This month: 22