Metal Storm logo
Kamelot - Roy Khan Leaves The Band, Seek Replacement (UPDATED)

Original news, published on 22.04.2011

Despite Kamelot themselves not announcing it, Roy Khan has issued a statement on his Myspace confirming the rumors of him leaving the band:

"Dear fans & friends,

There have been a lot of speculations around why I am not touring with Kamelot and I want to make a statement although it may not prevent further guessing as to what's actually going on. It is a fact however that I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band. Naturally enough they were shocked (as was the label and everyone else working with Kamelot). In addition to risk of dropping ticket sales they wanted to give me time to think things over, and so I did. My decision still stands; It is finished.

I am currently spending time with my family in Norway taking it easy and wondering profoundly what the future is going to bring. Communication with the outer world has been so and so, but I have had several talks with Thomas along the way although I am still called in sick. I am terribly sorry that my decision is affecting so many others and I want you to know I wish the band & associates all the best for the future and that I enjoyed every second in the spotlight. How could I not...they were nourished by the best fans in the world! I am eternally thankful for everything you and Kamelot have given me and equally sorry that it has to end here. The good news is; God was there after all...

Love you to death!

All the best & so long,
Roy Khan"

UPDATED, on 22.04.2011 (Thanks to Zhao)

The remaining members of Kamelot have released the following statement regarding the departure of the band's frontman, Roy Khan:

"With a heavy heart we can now announce that Roy Khan has chosen to leave the band. We wanted to give him ample time for this kind of decision, due to his recent burnout and also the amount of amazing times we have shared with him in Kamelot. We respectfully accept his resignation from the band and wish him the best in his future endeavors. The timing is actually good since we feel the uncertainty the fans have had can now be laid to rest and the band can move on to finding a new singer.

"The tour is going great so far and the fans have been amazing throughout this entire process" - adds keyboardist Oliver Palotai. With the new tour already in progress, Kamelot has already begun the search for a new vocalist. "I have a few guys in mind", said band founder Thomas Youngblood. "And as you can imagine, it is a very important decision. There are some amazing singers that have already contacted us on this but we will take our time to find the right person". Due to the overwhelming success of the recent shows in South America, we are pleased to announce new shows in November/December for Europe (stay tuned).

* The band headlines the Print de Temps Festival tonight and will play a Amsterdam (nearing sold-out) concert tomorrow followed by a full headliner tour with special guests Evergrey, Amaranthe and Sons of Seasons. (* Guest vocalists Fabio Lione and Tommy Karevik). Thank you for your support and see you on tour!

Thomas, Casey, Oliver and Sean"

Source: kamelot.com
Band profile: Kamelot
Posted: 22.04.2011 by Zhao

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 95   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 724 users
23.04.2011 - 02:28
Danyael
Written by 4look4rd on 23.04.2011 at 02:19

This news caught me by surprise. Khan gave everything he had on Karma, Epica, and The Black Halo; his legacy will live for forever. Now lets hope that the replacement is up to his standards.

I have Andre Matos in mind, but I highly doubt it will happen, or if he would even fit well with the band.

Lets be a little more creative! Just for funzies, howbout the multi metal band/projects whore, Jorn Lande haha
23.04.2011 - 02:32
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Danyael on 23.04.2011 at 02:28

Written by 4look4rd on 23.04.2011 at 02:19

This news caught me by surprise. Khan gave everything he had on Karma, Epica, and The Black Halo; his legacy will live for forever. Now lets hope that the replacement is up to his standards.

I have Andre Matos in mind, but I highly doubt it will happen, or if he would even fit well with the band.

Lets be a little more creative! Just for funzies, howbout the multi metal band/projects whore, Jorn Lande haha

Jorn Lande and Kamelot =O That would simply be way too awesome to happen. I actually think he would fit very well with Kamelot; hell he could replace even replace Lady Gaga for all that I care.
----
23.04.2011 - 03:41
I saw this one comming since the beggining of the tour. Tommy Karevik and michael Eriksen would be great perfect replacement, but we should wait who they really choose...
23.04.2011 - 04:02
Papa_Ray
Shit. Just shit.
23.04.2011 - 04:59
Thrashette
More disappointment...
I'm with everyone asking what the hell is with all these people leaving bands that I actually love
23.04.2011 - 05:34
Pazu
Im with Thrashette, it was sad enough to hear Ilja Jalkanen leave Kiuas and Mike Portnoy leave Dream Theater, but this is a whole other thing. Next thing you'll tell me Hansi will leave B... I don't even want to go there. But man, I already got a little scared after the news that Khan won't be touring due to both personal and health issues, but I just wasn't able to believe that it could actually come this far.

At this point, let's just hope that Khan will stay in metal business and that Kamelot will find a worthy replacement, which is going to be hard, very hard.
23.04.2011 - 06:06
EpicMayhem
This sucks so bad... one of my favorite bands. I honestly don't think they will be able to find a singer as talented and unique sounding as Roy Khan. Guess this is the end of Kamelot.
23.04.2011 - 06:10
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Tommorow's headline-Tony Iommi leaves Black Sabbath!
23.04.2011 - 07:45
Destructo
Woke up to the worst news possible. It was KK Downing 2 days back.....Loomis yesterday and now THIS !!!! Filled with sadness.
23.04.2011 - 08:15
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
HOLY TITS another big one. This is fucking heavy even though i stopped caring about Kamelot when Black Halo came out.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
23.04.2011 - 09:43
Glabrezu
Written by EpicMayhem on 23.04.2011 at 06:06

This sucks so bad... one of my favorite bands. I honestly don't think they will be able to find a singer as talented and unique sounding as Roy Khan. Guess this is the end of Kamelot.

I'm afraid you're right, Khan can't be replaced. I wish the best for him and his family.
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
23.04.2011 - 09:58
Lachy
Account deleted
Is metal from the 90's dying off or something? Nevermore losing 2 members, and now kamelot losing khan. I think khan has one of the most distinctive voices in metal. Very hard to replace :\
23.04.2011 - 11:46
Justice
K.k. downing
jeff loomis
van williams
roy khan

what the fuck is going on metal music
they can form a band
23.04.2011 - 12:38
atkmetal123
There'll be no more Kamelot, without Roy. He's the soul of the band, that's the truth that no one can deny.

Hope all the best for Kamelot, although the chance to make such great albums like the time Roy still there is nearly impossible!
23.04.2011 - 13:13
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Written by Irritable Ted on 23.04.2011 at 12:11

Written by Guest on 22.04.2011 at 22:47

I'm hoping for a possible reunion of Conception, but who knows?

If this happens it will be worth the pain.

Wont happen as Tore is busy with ARK.
23.04.2011 - 19:20
EpicMayhem
Written by Justice on 23.04.2011 at 11:46

K.k. downing
jeff loomis
van williams
roy khan

they can form a band

don't forget Per Wiberg also left Opeth.
23.04.2011 - 19:51
YvesBelanger
Having a ticket for the show, i hope the new singer has a voice as beautiful as Roy
23.04.2011 - 22:23
morsus
Tomorrow's news: Mikael Akerfeldt leaves Opeth, Iron Maiden's plane crashes and they all die, Justin Bieber replaces Roy Khan
23.04.2011 - 23:15
Donnie Darko
Written by Guest on 22.04.2011 at 22:47

Yes, this is probably the worst news for Kamelot (who happens to be my favorite band); they lost the soul of their sound., and I'm devastated. But on the bright side, since he's done with Kamelot he might do other things. I'm hoping for a possible reunion of Conception, but who knows?

I hope so I want another "Parallel Minds"
24.04.2011 - 01:22
Well there you go, the MS drama award of 2011
24.04.2011 - 09:35
Justice
Written by EpicMayhem on 23.04.2011 at 19:20

Written by Justice on 23.04.2011 at 11:46

K.k. downing
jeff loomis
van williams
roy khan

they can form a band

don't forget Per Wiberg also left Opeth.

yes you're right
they need a bassist to form a great band
24.04.2011 - 12:19
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
First of all, Kamelot's creative abilities peaked on The Black Halo, they've already created their album of a lifetime, a true metal classic and everything after that has been a disappointment, especially Poetry From Boyzone.

Second, I love Khan, but to say he WAS Kamelot is stupid. Thomas Youngblood has always been the creative core and even though Khan co-wrote a lot of the material (unlike a certain Tarja, whom deluded fans also claimed to have been the entire band), Kamelot was indeed not his stage name.

Third, TBH was a CONCEPT ALBUM about a man who made a deal with Mephisto (who is not the devil btw). This in no way makes Kamleot a satanic band of silliness and satanism and satanic silliness.
24.04.2011 - 15:52
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Ok.. I just read the news now, and I thought this was a joke... What in the hell?... Terrible news
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
24.04.2011 - 17:37
Amonisis
Okay, now i'm officially depressed :'(
25.04.2011 - 04:20
Symmachus
It makes sense that he left, and that probably has to do with his abscence from touring. However, it is pretty unfortunate, especially with timing like this, where other key members have left their respective bands.
27.04.2011 - 13:21
I am devastated. Anyone who has seen them live knows that Roy was the magic of Kamelot. He doesn't sing the songs. He LIVES them. Whenever I try to imagine them without Roy I think of them like an average band, it was him who made the difference, at least for me. I still have some faith because Thomas is the creative core of the band but this is a hard blow. My full support to Mr. Roy Khan, one of the people that has marked me the most in metal and music in general. And even more to the band, they deserve better.

btw Black Halo anti-christian??? Do you guys know the storyline behind Epica and Black Halo? Please, pass the joint!
28.04.2011 - 13:25
grimm
I'm so upset!! So, it has to do with some finding god thing...way to push me a little closer to atheism D:

I'm so so sad :'(
28.04.2011 - 23:17
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Well, first of all, I must say that I am a huge fan of Roy Khan, I consider him favorite and best male vocal in metal music. So when it became official that he left the band, although it was kinda expected all the previous months, with rumors, sitting out tours and stuff ... I just thought OK that's it...
Someone will remember, that last year one one occasion Michael Eriksen from Circus Maximus, whom as it happens I rate among the top metal vocalist, did a gig with Kamelot on ProgPower USA .. there's a youtube video of "Center of the Universe", and it kinda kicks-asses ... he's fantastic.
Well, I sumbled upon some more videos, with Fabio Leone, and Tommy Karevik .. and I must say, holy fuckin shit, Karevik is just awesome. I knew the guy from Seventh Wonder albums, but .. he is just at ease with all the Kamelot songs, so natural. So the only guy I really really dislike is Fabio Leone, because he likes to scream to much form my taste and has that horrible italian accent ...

I must admit, few of these clips have given me faith that Kamelot is acutally still gona be fantastic...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
30.04.2011 - 08:45
Crème fraiche
Written by morsus on 23.04.2011 at 22:23

Tomorrow's news: Mikael Akerfeldt leaves Opeth, Iron Maiden's plane crashes and they all die, Justin Bieber replaces Roy Khan

DON"T JINX IT BRO!

Seriously, not funny ;(
02.05.2011 - 23:48
evoola
One of the great GREAT singers in progressive metal. His range was legendary. This is a massive blow

Hits total: 33111 | This month: 29