04. The Levitated
05. Secret Earth
06. Gallows
07. Origin Of Species
08. Alpenglow
09. Black Hills
10. Balkan
11. Drifting Figures

Instrumental Progressive Metal is one of the sub-sub-genres that's restricted to a small niche only, largely because for most bands they place a lot of emphasis on musicianship while the song writing is seldom ground breaking. Most of the time, it just sounds like some lengthy jam session with plenty of technicality and that's about it. Obviously, there's no vocals which makes the music lacking in the timbre department. Scale The Summit also play instrumental prog, but their latest album The Collective certainly differentiates them from the average instrumental wankery bands.

A brief scan of the album title and tracklist certainly screams "pretentious stuff", but as long as you have a rather imaginative mind and are the type that can appreciate the wonders of nature, this album might just appeal to you, whether you are into this niche (sub-sub-) genre or not. One does not have to be extremely artistic, but as I took note of the song title, I would just let the music carry my mind away, wherever it leads to. All this must sounds rather ambiguous at this point, so I'll try and elaborate. When listening to "Colossal", my mind shifts with the music, from the more mighty volcanic eruptions, to the relative calm of the ocean, then somehow I find myself staring at the infinities of the skies. On the other hand, "Whales" invokes memories of a heatrun from start to beginning with the initial calm, jockeying of positions, the buildup to the grand finale and the aftermath has somehow been captured within the music.

I am certain that everyone would see it differently, and some would even think I've been smoking too much, but if you are willing to stretch your creativity a bit and "see" the music with your mind's eye, it might invoke the similar feeling of awe in you just like when you see a fast forward version of the earth morphing with the four seasons or even the gathering of random molecules that lead to the formation of life itself.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 22.04.2011 by Ag Fox loves listening to music but is far from being a prolific writer. This corner just shows how territorial he is.

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 196 users
22.04.2011 - 22:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
So... if you recommend this, I would like to listen to this album. It is instrumental, and I might quite possibly like it. Also I shouldn't forget to see the music my mind's eye.

Good job with the reivew. Thanks!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.04.2011 - 22:51
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by K✞ulu on 22.04.2011 at 22:15

So... if you recommend this, I would like to listen to this album. It is instrumental, and I might quite possibly like it. Also I shouldn't forget to see the music my mind's eye.

Good job with the reivew. Thanks!
I'm glad it made you motivated enough to check out the music
----
loves 小巫
23.04.2011 - 05:53
Rating: 7
MeloDeathViking

I keep meaning to check out this album and haven't done it yet. Hell, I'm the one that added them to the suggestions list for this site, I should have been all over this album haha.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
23.04.2011 - 06:27
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by MeloDeathViking on 23.04.2011 at 05:53

I keep meaning to check out this album and haven't done it yet. Hell, I'm the one that added them to the suggestions list for this site, I should have been all over this album haha.
yes... it was you who recommended them to me in the first place o.o
----
loves 小巫
23.04.2011 - 10:07
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I like instrumental albums. I'm curious about this one as well although I never listened to a full album from these guys. Maybe now it's the time.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.04.2011 - 20:30
MeloDeathViking

Written by BloodTears on 23.04.2011 at 10:07

I like instrumental albums. I'm curious about this one as well although I never listened to a full album from these guys. Maybe now it's the time.

I really enjoyed their last album Carving Desert Canyons, I would also suggest that one. It's pretty diverese for being instrumental. I can't compare it to the new one yet tho.
----
24.04.2011 - 22:17
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
I saw those guys live a year ago, definitely great progressive metal with an edge.
24.04.2011 - 23:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by MeloDeathViking on 23.04.2011 at 20:30

I really enjoyed their last album Carving Desert Canyons, I would also suggest that one. It's pretty diverese for being instrumental. I can't compare it to the new one yet tho.

I will give it a try definitely. Thanks for your suggestion. Why can't you compare it though?
----

My Instagram
25.04.2011 - 01:06
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I really enjoyed this album the first three times that I listened to it. After that it started to feel like all the songs we formed into one. Was impressed at first but the more that it played, the more I realized its pretty repetitive. Still a great album, but I won't be going back to it for a while.
25.04.2011 - 01:58
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by BloodTears on 24.04.2011 at 23:24

I will give it a try definitely. Thanks for your suggestion. Why can't you compare it though?
because he has yet to listen to the new one lol

Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 01:06

I really enjoyed this album the first three times that I listened to it. After that it started to feel like all the songs we formed into one. Was impressed at first but the more that it played, the more I realized its pretty repetitive. Still a great album, but I won't be going back to it for a while.
forming into one is not necessarily a bad thing. it is called the collective after all.
----
loves 小巫
25.04.2011 - 04:41
MeloDeathViking

Because I haven't heard the new one yet (shame on me haha). It's at the top of my to do list tho.
----
13.05.2011 - 17:27
MeloDeathViking

I really enjoyed their last album Carving Desert Canyons, I would also suggest that one. It's pretty diverse for being instrumental. I can't compare it to the new one yet tho.

So after a few listens, my initial impression is I'm a disappointed. Just not as good as Carving Desert Canyons. A lot less diversity between songs, I feel like it all kinda runs together, and not in a good way. The only real stand out track to me so far is Gallows. The songs seem a lot more repetitive than on CDC. I still enjoyed the album, but it was definitely not what I was hoping for. I could listen to CDC multiple times in a row and not get bored, the same can not be said for The Collective sadly.
----
06.06.2011 - 20:48
BloodTears
ANA-thema
So, now I have had a few more time to listen to this one. I really like it, maybe it pales in comparison with some of their previous work, but since I have no knowledge of any of their other records, I'm pleased with this one as an independent force.

It's just a good instrumental album, you know.

I also see myself fleeting with the motion of the music and I like those sensations.
----

My Instagram
07.06.2011 - 00:28
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by BloodTears on 06.06.2011 at 20:48

So, now I have had a few more time to listen to this one. I really like it, maybe it pales in comparison with some of their previous work, but since I have no knowledge of any of their other records, I'm pleased with this one as an independent force.

It's just a good instrumental album, you know.

I also see myself fleeting with the motion of the music and I like those sensations.
Glad you enjoyed it!
----
loves 小巫
31.08.2012 - 23:24
Panterica

Good album indeed, but I have to agree that the songs might sound too similar.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 5989 | This month: 9