‹‹ Back to the Metal arena Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Users visited: 232  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by Nigel Peppercock on 28.04.2011 at 23:27
After seeing a similar post asking which people thought was the best death metal band, almost everyone responded "Death" So I'm wondering if Death was excluded, what would people pick instead.

Page 5 of 5

deadone
Mainstream Poser

17.12.2014 at 05:46
Written by Ganondox on 17.12.2014 at 05:35

This is way off topic and I'm so done with this conversation, genre wars are so freaking pointless.

Yet you always indulge in them and start them (not saying I don't).

Quote:
As for bands like Watchtower without an overt death metal influence, they are used called progressive metal or thrash metal.

Tech thrash predates tech death.

Quote:
The only reason I moved to Bolt Thrower is because people like you insist various death metal subgenres aren't proper death metal.

In case you hadn't noticed we've all been throwing "genre bender" bands ala Carcass, Edge of Sanity, Aborted and tech dceath ala Psycroptic and Cryptopsy.

The key is they're retained DM for most part.

EDY: You also never answered my question: do you actually listen to Death Metal?
Ganondox

17.12.2014 at 06:24
Written by deadone on 17.12.2014 at 05:46

Written by Ganondox on 17.12.2014 at 05:35

This is way off topic and I'm so done with this conversation, genre wars are so freaking pointless.

Yet you always indulge in them and start them (not saying I don't).

Quote:
As for bands like Watchtower without an overt death metal influence, they are used called progressive metal or thrash metal.

Tech thrash predates tech death.

Quote:
The only reason I moved to Bolt Thrower is because people like you insist various death metal subgenres aren't proper death metal.

In case you hadn't noticed we've all been throwing "genre bender" bands ala Carcass, Edge of Sanity, Aborted and tech dceath ala Psycroptic and Cryptopsy.

The key is they're retained DM for most part.

EDY: You also never answered my question: do you actually listen to Death Metal?

Marcel started this one with the snide about Death.

"Tech thrash predates tech death." In the fact that bands mixed progressive and thrash metal, yes, the term technical thrash might as be older as used as an adjective, but in the widespread recognition as a distinctive genre, no, as techthrash still doesn't have widespread recognition as a distinctive.

Fine I'll go back to Cattle Decapitation, Bolt Thrower is still good though. Again, not a fan of death metal, so most the bands I like are genre bender and usually further away from death metal. Plenty of techdeath and melodeath I like more than Cattle Decap, but I'm not sure if I can pick a single one which would still qualify as death metal.

"EDY: You also never answered my question: do you actually listen to Death Metal?" Of course I listen to death metal, otherwise how would I be able to listen any favorite death metal bands? Do I listen to it regularly? Well, I probably at least incidentally listen to at least one death metal song a day, but I don't actively seek it out or otherwise actively listen to much of it. Unless you count melodeath as death metal, then I listen to plenty of it.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

17.12.2014 at 06:26
Written by Ganondox on 17.12.2014 at 06:24

Marcel started this one with the snide about Death.

Snide but I agree with him!

Again, not a fan of death metal,

Why vote then and make a big deal about Death? I wouldn't vote on "best post/sludge/atmospheric metal" precisely cause I'm not a fan.

As for tech thrash, you're wrong. And everyone's been disagreeing with you. Again not sure what horse you have in that race as you don't listen to thrash...
Ganondox

17.12.2014 at 06:28
Written by deadone on 17.12.2014 at 06:26

Again, not a fan of death metal,

Why vote then? I wouldn't vote on "best post/sludge/atmospheric metal" precisely cause I'm not a fan.

Why vote? Why not? Are only death metal fans allowed to have favorite death metal bands? No one said only people are general fans of the genre are allowed to vote? Just because I'm not a fan of genre in general doesn't mean I can't like some stuff in it.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

17.12.2014 at 06:34
Written by Ganondox on 17.12.2014 at 06:28

Why vote? Why not? Are only death metal fans allowed to have favorite death metal bands? No one said only people are general fans of the genre are allowed to vote? Just because I'm not a fan of genre in general doesn't mean I can't like some stuff in it.

Sure. But I really get the feeling you don't really even listen to the stuff you claim ala Bolt Thrower. Your main interest seems to be genre definition - you do it with death and you're doing it with tech thrash.

It's not like "hey I really enjoy those massive riffs on Realms of Chaos". It's more "I think it's death/grind/ <insert genre> metal."

And it's your main point of discussion on extreme metal. Yet on alternative stuff (which is clearly your true love) you post a lot more about how much you enjoy the music (though genre definition creeps in).

EDIT: Oh and and if you're into Death Metal at any level, you're a Death Metal fan. How can you like a death metal band and then not be a fan by default?
deadone
Mainstream Poser

17.12.2014 at 06:46
And the best Death Metal song ever written - Malevolent Creation's Slaughter of Innocence!

DIE MOTHERFUCKER!!!!
Ganondox

17.12.2014 at 07:05
Written by deadone on 17.12.2014 at 06:34

Written by Ganondox on 17.12.2014 at 06:28

Sure. But I really get the feeling you don't really even listen to the stuff you claim ala Bolt Thrower. Your main interest seems to be genre definition - you do it with death and you're doing it with tech thrash.

It's not like "hey I really enjoy those massive riffs on Realms of Chaos". It's more "I think it's death/grind/ <insert genre> metal."

And it's your main point of discussion on extreme metal. Yet on alternative stuff (which is clearly your true love) you post a lot more about how much you enjoy the music (though genre definition creeps in).

EDIT: Oh and and if you're into Death Metal at any level, you're a Death Metal fan. How can you like a death metal band and then not be a fan by default?

Okay, fine, I like Bolt Thrower, but I'm not an active fan of them or anything, I've just heard some songs by them and thought "hey, this sounds good". I don't frequently seek out their songs, but I like what I hear. I legitimately like the music, while I like categorizing things (categorizing is fun, arguing to death about categorizations is dumb), I'm not saying I like the bands because I like slapping labels onto them, it's because I like the music. Anyway, would you say someone is a metal fan even if the like The Final Countdown, but nothing else really? I'm an active fan of In Flames and to a lesser degree some progdeath like Gojira, but I don't believe either would really count as death metal in a strict sense, so I didn't mention them.

Going to listen to the Malevolent Creation song now.

EDIT: Listening to it now, liking the massive riffs in it. The basslick at the end of the solo is sick. Not liking the monotonous chugging in the verses as much though, but it's only part of the song. I think what I like the most might be the cover art though, like really, what is the cool thing?
deadone
Mainstream Poser

17.12.2014 at 07:09
Written by Ganondox on 17.12.2014 at 07:05

Okay, fine, I like Bolt Thrower, but I'm not an active fan of them or anything, I've just heard some songs by them and thought "hey, this sounds good". ./..Anyway, would you say someone is a metal fan even if the like The Final Countdown, but nothing else really?

When you say it like that, then I can see how someone can not be a fan of something whilst still casually liking it.

No idea about Gojira as to what subgenre they really are but there's definite death metal in there.

Quote:

I'll be amazed if you like it. Early 1990s Florida Death Metal with a typical Scott Burns production job.
Ganondox

17.12.2014 at 07:15
Written by deadone on 17.12.2014 at 07:09

Written by Ganondox on 17.12.2014 at 07:05

Okay, fine, I like Bolt Thrower, but I'm not an active fan of them or anything, I've just heard some songs by them and thought "hey, this sounds good". ./..Anyway, would you say someone is a metal fan even if the like The Final Countdown, but nothing else really?

When you say it like that, then I can see how someone can not be a fan of something whilst still casually liking it.

No idea about Gojira as to what subgenre they really are but there's definite death metal in there.

Quote:

I'll be amazed if you like it. Early 1990s Florida Death Metal with a typical Scott Burns production job.

I really don't care that much about production either way (at least in riff oriented songs like this, I care more when say the vocals clash with the guitars or something like that), and considering I like Death's first two albums more than most death metal, I don't see why I would hate early 1990s Florida Death Metal.
Xnoybis
Duke Nukem

17.12.2014 at 22:32
At one point i was interested in this topic...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

18.12.2014 at 00:59
Written by Xnoybis on 17.12.2014 at 22:32

At one point i was interested in this topic...

Does this help you get back into it?

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Login or register to post here.