11. Bamboleo [Gipsy Kings cover] [deluxe edition bonus]

Disc II [DVD] [deluxe edition bonus]
+ From Symbols To Passion: The Making Of Unsung Heroes
+ Studio Diary: Week 1-7

The biggest letdown of 2012

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
It looks like Ensiferum, it sounds like Ensiferum, but is this actually Ensiferum?

Read more ››
published 27.08.2012 | Comments (65)

Guest review by
bloodyrenn
Rating:
I, like most Ensiferum fans, was rather disappointed upon initially hearing the band's 2012 effort Unsung Heroes. The album's pacing was much slower than the much-heralded From Afar, the atmosphere rather mellow in comparison to their other works and the sense of composition more subdued and subtle. As most metal listeners know, the first few listens of an album can be deceiving; I mean, after all, how many of us truly wrapped our heads around Opeth's Blackwater Park the first time we listened to it? I don't mind spending some time with the albums I have at my disposal and giving Unsung Heroes a number of listens has proven to be one of the greatest rewards this habit has given me as of late. Unsung Heroes is, for all intents and purposes, quite unsung (no pun intended, of course).

Read more ››
published 09.08.2013 | Comments (8)

Found in 19 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 124   Visited by: 1492 users
24.08.2012 - 16:16
Rating: 7
JÄY
Metal slave
That bonus track kicks ass though!
24.08.2012 - 16:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Just...NO
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

24.08.2012 - 18:59
Death

Hell of an album!

Hope everyone else likes it too.
24.08.2012 - 19:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Death on 24.08.2012 at 18:59

Hell of an album!

nice try, Petri
----

24.08.2012 - 19:02
Rating: 5
Aw Yiss

Very boring album. Except "Passion, Proof, Power" which is a decent prog attempt imo, and maybe "In My Sword I Trust".
I can't understand how someone could give this album a 10, even one is a fanboy. When compared to their early works (with or without Jari) this album really falls short.
24.08.2012 - 19:04
Death

Written by Ellrohir on 24.08.2012 at 19:02

Hell of an album!

nice try, Petri

Well yes, apparently Ensiferum has lost their power but still the album is really nice.

It's sad to hear so many people disappointed. Now people will probably have high expectations of Wintersun's Time. I hope you guys won't get disappointed again.
24.08.2012 - 19:09
Aw Yiss

Written by Death on 24.08.2012 at 19:04

Well yes, apparently Ensiferum has lost their power but still the album is really nice.

It's sad to hear so many people disappointed. Now people will probably have high expectations of Wintersun's Time. I hope you guys won't get disappointed again.

There's a little preview of Time I here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9XDXvqTcCY
"Time" sounds awesome, that part was also played in Heidenfest 2011. And "Sons of Winter and Stars" reminds me "Starchild" a bit. I'm sure Jari won't disappoint me
24.08.2012 - 22:17
Rating: 10
Ukko

Written by Ellrohir on 24.08.2012 at 19:02

Hell of an album!

nice try, Petri

I'm thinking the same "apparently Ensiferum has lost their power but still the album is really nice".
24.08.2012 - 22:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am happy you are happy...because i am like
----

24.08.2012 - 23:33
LittleDreamer

Just finished the album. IMO it is the worst Ensiferum album but it is not that bad. I really liked some songs like In my sword I trust and Pohjola. But overall it is disappointment. Maybe my expectations were just too high. Have to listen it couple more times before rating it.
24.08.2012 - 23:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Maybe best album from band, some songs was epic, good one and in sword we trust, I like opart about solders, also some medley, slow songs and finish elent, good album, it overjump previusly predditions
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.08.2012 - 00:45
Rating: 6
Risto
Wandering Midget
So it indeed is Kasper Mårtenson on PPP... I thought I was hallucinating at first
25.08.2012 - 05:50
Rating: 3
moonsorrow1992

Their worst album so far, worst Petri's vocals ever, PPP is a total mess even the narrator sounds uninspired/dull. I didn't have high expectations but I was expecting for something better than FA. Now I know their career has been on a downhill since VS. A shame really
25.08.2012 - 11:57
Death

Written by Aw Yiss on 24.08.2012 at 19:09

There's a little preview of Time I here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9XDXvqTcCY
"Time" sounds awesome, that part was also played in Heidenfest 2011. And "Sons of Winter and Stars" reminds me "Starchild" a bit. I'm sure Jari won't disappoint me

Yeah, I just listened to "The Way of The Fire". I'm sure Time will not be disappointing. (at least for me )
25.08.2012 - 14:19
Lit.
Account deleted
I wish this album remained unsung.
There I said it and it felt good.
25.08.2012 - 21:17
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Another disappointment of the year, next to Epica and Nile.
26.08.2012 - 05:42
Rulatore

Written by Guest on 25.08.2012 at 14:19

I wish this album remained unsung.
There I said it and it felt good.

+1

Weird album, still I want to read the lyrics

Edit: Finally with lyrics and I must say that I like them (not all the songs), quite fit the songs.

Also the cover is very funny
26.08.2012 - 14:26
petermlm

Great work from Ensiferum. I enjoyed the Folk sound of the album, vocals, guitars and theme. This album is a good example of one of my favorite genres of Metal.
26.08.2012 - 17:09
jp

I can't believe my ears.

This album has no catchy/beautiful melodies, no speed, and doesn't have the traditional ensiferum-sound. The guitar sound is different (seems somewhat cheaper)

At the beginning I thought ok, In my sword I trust is nice, catchy refrain with a very nice melody, good sound. a bit slow, but ok.

the rest was boring.

Passion Proof Power has a cool part from 9:00. but it still not very catchy in the sense that we could hum the melody along.

I'm quite sad about it.
26.08.2012 - 19:18
Fredd
Account deleted
It started good actually, then I dont know what happened. But it's not THAT bad.
26.08.2012 - 19:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by jp on 26.08.2012 at 17:09

At the beginning I thought ok, In my sword I trust is nice, catchy refrain with a very nice melody, good sound. a bit slow, but ok.

the rest was boring.

my words, man
----

27.08.2012 - 07:04
Wow their worst album so far IMO! I really love all the other albums and think From Afar was really good, so I was expecting something similar to that album. Unfortunately it doesn't live up to my expectations at all.

I'm missing the good guitar riffs and I find they were going a bit too much folky. I always liked that they found a good balance between this melodic death metal sound and folk elements. But there is too much choir etc here.

The album started good and the songs In My Sword I Trust, Unsung Heroes and Burning Leaves really sound like Ensiferum but I don't know what happened with the rest! Especially PPP! What is up with that song? The whole mixing sounds off and very random as a whole.

What I miss most are all the catchy guitar riffs and licks which are almost non-existent on this one....

The acoustic guitar in Last Breath is pretty nice but the vocals on that one aren't really great.

All in all the songs are very average and none really stand out
Well I would give it 6/10 if I'm being generous and I hope they do better on their next album!
27.08.2012 - 09:28
cadenceofthewind

I kinda like it so far... although I understand why so many people would dislike it. I was expecting much worse (especially after reading this page).

EDIT: WTF is up with PPP? D:
----
"Time contracts, then expands, all in tune with the stirrings of the heart."
27.08.2012 - 11:42
jp

I still can't believe it. Ensiferum normally gives the listener a certain feeling of combined strength and esthetics.

I think the problem is that they went soft and maybe they are out of melodies. They also went too progressive, meaning, in this case, that they stepped too much off of the formula of a catchy couplet followed by an even more catchy refrain. In my sword I trust is still humming in my head, and that's good!

7:30-7:53 of passion proof power is just ridiculous. celestial bond too. star queen too, the guitarsound in Retribution is crappy, pohjola is also crappy, and last breath isn't the last crap.

By the time I heard Bamboleo I was thought of destroying my computer, but I had to post this.
27.08.2012 - 13:53
moribun

The guitar in the beginning of "In My Sword I Trust" sounds like "Burn It To The Ground" - Nickelback.
27.08.2012 - 15:19
moe5512

The album good, but there are 3 + intro that are only folkish songs without any dist guitars and stuff. I don't really like the clean singing except the choirs, but overall it's and enjoyable album
27.08.2012 - 20:16
FeskarN

Worst Ensiferum album by far. Huge disappointment for me.. Where are all the good riffs and melodies they are known for? Sometimes I don't even reconize the band. I will give it some more spins to make a rating out of this mess.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
28.08.2012 - 01:53
Risto
Wandering Midget
Well, Burning Leaves is a good song and almost the only one that lives up for its length. On the opposite side, "Star Queen" is one of the most pointless songs I've heard in a long time, simply because it all would've been used better in "Celestial Bond". Singing performance in "The Last Breath" is poor and "PPP" just doesn't belong. Probably the worst stuff Kasper Mårtenson has ever touched.
28.08.2012 - 06:24
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Annnnnnd Folk is officially a dying genre!
----
pewpew.. gotcha
28.08.2012 - 11:31
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 28.08.2012 at 02:07

The point in Celestial Bond is that those who sing aren't together. So there's no point to put the material into one track, it would ruin the idea.

I know that, but the execution is terrible. Star Queen is not musically interesting enough to be a separate track.

Hits total: 35934 | This month: 28