[2004 re-release bonus tracks]
14. Trust [spanish version]
15. Evil That's Within
16. Vortex [alternate version]
17. Bullpick

Guest review by
Gorey
Rating:
1997 was the year of the renewal for Megadeth. Dave Mustaine and his three mates came back after three fabulous albums. Yet it must be said that since 1994 and Youthanasia, there had been a period of scarcity. So Megadeth hired a new producer , Dan Huff, a strange choice, for he was mainly known for his work in country-music. At the first listening, the word renewal seems wrong, while summary sounds righter. Cryptic Writings is actually the album of maturity.

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (9)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
This album seems to separate the two sounds of Megadeth in the 90's, with the radio rock and thrash sounds being confined to their own songs rather than Megadeth trying to mix (or abandon one of) the two. This makes for an album that shifts gears every once in a while, with thrash tracks punctuating the more radio-oriented efforts. It also ends up with an album of two halves being merged together, rather than creating one strong whole.

Read more ››
published 07.04.2020 | Comments (3)

Found in 35 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 44   Visited by: 918 users
06.05.2011 - 04:41
Rating: 8
megametallic0710

I personally think this album is one of their best. It has such catchy tunes such as Trust, she-wolf and a secret place. I give this album an 8.5 out of 10
28.08.2011 - 01:58
ThisIsEndgame

It seems a lot of people think megadeth declined right after RIP. They were not as thrashy but the new albums they experimented with still gave us some great songs. I'd give it a 8.4
----
\m/ Next thing you know they'll take my thought away! \m/
03.11.2011 - 02:56
masterofpeace95

I really like this album. Some filler songs but it has some very catchy songs.
26.01.2012 - 19:01
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
For me, this type of song is more enjoyable in megadeth discography than the older thrash sound.
15.02.2012 - 13:06
Immortal

In my opinion this is the best Megadeth album, wanna fight about it?!
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
06.08.2012 - 17:07
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
/\ 'Cause it's a Jazz album.
14.11.2013 - 18:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by salah mustain on 14.11.2013 at 18:20

Awesome album

Let me guess? Any album which Mustaine performs on you think is awesome?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.11.2013 - 18:58
Rating: 5
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.11.2013 at 18:41

Let me guess? Any album which Mustaine performs on you think is awesome?

that's the case for many Megadeth lovers.
----
The Fangirl.
14.11.2013 - 18:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This is a more adventurous, and more varied album than it's predecessor "Youthanasia", but it's less consistent in terms of overall quality. Songs like "The Disintegrators", "Use The Man", and "Vortex", are really great, but a couple of iffy tracks brings this one down a bit. It's not one of Megadeth's best albums, but it is far superior to "Super Collider" at any rate.
14.11.2013 - 19:03
Rating: 5
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.11.2013 at 18:59

This is a more adventurous, and more varied album than it's predecessor "Youthanasia", but it's less consistent in terms of overall quality. Songs like "The Disintegrators", "Use The Man", and "Vortex", are really great, but a couple of iffy tracks brings this one down a bit. It's not one of Megadeth's best albums, but it is far superior to "Super Collider" at any rate.

which one you would say as an iffy track in this album ?

I'd say it is slightly superior to Super Collider, having less awful tunes.
----
The Fangirl.
14.11.2013 - 19:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by angel. on 14.11.2013 at 19:03
which one you would say as an iffy track in this album ?

I've always found "Have Cool, Will Travel" to be a bit silly, and "Sin" is overall, a dull track, although I like the mid-section and the solos. I just wish they'd been attatched to a better song. lol Lyrically I find "Trust" to be cringeworthy, which definitely brings that song down a bit for me, although musically it's decent. But a terrible choice for an opening track, due to it's lack of energy.
15.11.2013 - 18:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Oh brother...
15.11.2013 - 19:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by salah mustain on 15.11.2013 at 18:33

you like voivod so it's gonna be normal to give 5 to that album

what does me liking VoiVod (btw there's loads of their stuff I don't like) have to do with Megadeth?

I love GOOD Megadeth, which is the first four albums. But after that it just got weaker and weaker and weaker. Trying to copy Metallica's success by first selling out by playing way more melodic and then that weird experiment Risk, but failing dismally at even getting close to Metallica's popularity.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.11.2013 - 23:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by salah mustain on 15.11.2013 at 18:26
god of metal

People still think this about Megadave? Why? I understand he's responsible for helping the thrash movement and he's a metal icon (for better or for worse), but he's an ego-maniacal little man with severe jealousy issues (re: what Marcel mentioned about his attempt to profit based on the success of Metallica's various changes in direction). I don't think someone with his personality type should be hailed as a "god of metal", if such a thing exists.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.11.2013 - 00:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.11.2013 at 23:10
People still think this about Megadave? Why? I understand he's responsible for helping the thrash movement and he's a metal icon (for better or for worse), but he's an ego-maniacal little man with severe jealousy issues (re: what Marcel mentioned about his attempt to profit based on the success of Metallica's various changes in direction). I don't think someone with his personality type should be hailed as a "god of metal", if such a thing exists.

100% correct. Dave was an immense talent, but he's also always been an idiot personality wise. Even back when he was writing classics like "Peace Sells". And he allowed his personal beef with Metallica to affect his own writing, which tainted his legacy. At least when Metallica "sold out", they did it on their own terms. Whereas Dave was simply following Metallica's lead.
16.11.2013 - 00:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.11.2013 at 00:05
Dave was an immense talent...

This is something I feel like a lot of metalheads (or at least those who aren't Megadeth fanboys) overlook about him. This album certainly doesn't act as any kind of evidence that Mustaine knows a thing or two about composition, but his talent level in his prime was pretty obvious. As you said, his legacy would have been held intact if not for his personal struggles with Hetfield's success with Metallica - not to mention instances like the one involving the tour with Rotting Christ.

Glen Benton is another example of a frontman who let his personality override his mark on the scene. Whenever I read a thread about Deicide these days, nobody's commenting on Benton's iconic status or the band's influential back catalog. They just make jokes about his behavior and call him out for being an asshole to generally everyone around him. A good example of this is the latest fiasco involving the guys in Broken Hope.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.11.2013 - 03:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by salah mustain on 16.11.2013 at 03:23
i am not gonna say anything to someone who likes a band like systeme of a down

You should join your local debate team; that was a really well-constructed argument.
----
16.11.2013 - 11:06
Rating: 6
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2013 at 03:27

You should join your local debate team; that was a really well-constructed argument.

Yeah in fact I'm gonna give CW a 10 because now I rated SOAD 5.
16.11.2013 - 20:18
Lit.
Account deleted

System Of A Down > Megadeth (At least anything after Rust In Peace)
16.11.2013 - 20:28
Uldreth

Please comment more, I had a bad day and could use some laughter.
16.11.2013 - 21:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2013 at 00:17
This is something I feel like a lot of metalheads (or at least those who aren't Megadeth fanboys) overlook about him. This album certainly doesn't act as any kind of evidence that Mustaine knows a thing or two about composition, but his talent level in his prime was pretty obvious. As you said, his legacy would have been held intact if not for his personal struggles with Hetfield's success with Metallica - not to mention instances like the one involving the tour with Rotting Christ.

Glen Benton is another example of a frontman who let his personality override his mark on the scene. Whenever I read a thread about Deicide these days, nobody's commenting on Benton's iconic status or the band's influential back catalog. They just make jokes about his behavior and call him out for being an asshole to generally everyone around him. A good example of this is the latest fiasco involving the guys in Broken Hope.

Yep. He is someone probably more well known these days for his irrational behaviour than the mark he left on the metal scene with his music. Of course, he had personality issues back in the 80's as well, but at least back then he was making music that made people overlook them. And you could at least blame drugs and booze for his antics back then.

Glen Benton is similar. The first two, maybe 3 Deicide albums are generally regarded as classics of death metal, but that fact is very rarely discussed these days when people comment on Deicide. Glen's ridiculous behaviour attracts far more comment than his band's music. And again, at least back in the day, Deicide were making music of such a high quality, that Glen's headline attracting behaviour, was more like sideshow, the music was still the main attraction. These days, Deicide don't make classic music to distract from Glen's stupidity, so now, it's the music that's the sideshow, and his personality is the main thing commented on... it's sad really. lol

By the way, I haven't seen you around here in ages. Welcome back!
16.11.2013 - 21:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.11.2013 at 21:26
it's sad really. lol
By the way, I haven't seen you around here in ages. Welcome back!

You pretty much nailed it. All good things must come to and end, and when it comes to these metal "legends", they certainly come to an end in the worst possible fashions.

I just got back from a pretty lengthy hiatus. Thanks for the welcome, I've missed your insights.
----
16.11.2013 - 22:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2013 at 21:41
You pretty much nailed it. All good things must come to and end, and when it comes to these metal "legends", they certainly come to an end in the worst possible fashions.

I just got back from a pretty lengthy hiatus. Thanks for the welcome, I've missed your insights.

Yep, there's very few legendary bands who haven't tarnished their legacy in some way, but it's always saddest when a musician's bizarre antics gets more press than their music... At least bands like Iron Maiden have their dignity intact, even if the quality of their current music isn't up to the standards their classic output.

You're very welcome, and thanks! I appreciate you saying that.
17.11.2013 - 00:45
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by salah mustain on 16.11.2013 at 23:59

you understand nothing in metal. rubbish like systeme of a down are better than megadeth that's so stupid ( rust in peace ,countdown ..,youthanasia...) alot of albums not only rust in peace and guitarists like friedmann ,dave ..
ah i remember that song : Such a lonely day ............ oh my heart
i advice to quite metal storm and go creating an acount in a rap or pop forum music
and in the end megadeth are hard to undestand poser

God, your spelling sucks. I can't understand shit of what you're saying. Maybe I'd actually take what you're saying seriously if I could read it.
Pretty sure whatever you said is still wrong though.
17.11.2013 - 01:02
Uldreth

you understand nothing in metal. rubbish like systeme of a down are better than megadeth that's so stupid ( rust in peace ,countdown ..,youthanasia...) alot of albums not only rust in peace and guitarists like friedmann ,dave ..
ah i remember that song : Such a lonely day ............ oh my heart
i advice to quite metal storm and go creating an acount in a rap or pop forum music
and in the end megadeth are hard to undestand poser

Whatever you say, broseph.
17.11.2013 - 01:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
you understand nothing in metal...

Please teach the rest of us about the greatness of Megadeth and how we're all wrong for having a different opinion than you.
----
17.11.2013 - 04:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Hahahahahhahahahaahahhaha Salah Mustain is clearly a total metal NOOB and blinded by Mustaine fanboyism
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2013 - 07:44
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2013 at 04:24

Hahahahahhahahahaahahhaha Salah Mustain is clearly a total metal NOOB and blinded by Mustaine fanboyism

I'm pretty sure there was a connection between Salah "Mustain" and Dave "Mustaine".
17.11.2013 - 13:06
Uldreth

Written by Monolithic on 17.11.2013 at 07:44

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2013 at 04:24

I'm pretty sure there was a connection between Salah "Mustain" and Dave "Mustaine".

Pretty sure he keeps a photo of Dave under his pillow all the time.
17.11.2013 - 13:15
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Uldreth on 17.11.2013 at 13:06

Pretty sure he keeps a photo of Dave under his pillow all the time.

Well can't blame the guy for being so dedicated except for the fact that blind fanboyism is lame.

Hits total: 18665 | This month: 81