01. No Grave Deep Enough
02. Lain With The Wolf
03. Bloodied Yet Unbowed
04. God's Old Snake
05. The Mouth Of Judas
06. The Black Hundred
07. The Puritan's Hand
08. Death Of The Gods

Primordial is one of those bands that don't have to change their sound. It was this heart-felt marriage of epic grandeur and bitterness that granted them the distinctive sound they possess throughout the years. As a result many people got to cherish their work and dive into a maelstrom of intensity and emotions. You don't have to expect progress and they don't have to prove anything. What really matters in this specific case is everything Primordial have to say and the way they express it through their music. It's all about spirit and sound dynamics and by dynamics I mean the way the spirit comes into a sound life form of existence making the listener get closer to it. Of course I don't mean that I wouldn't like to hear progress from them, it would be interesting to see how it works to say the least, but this is Primordial, just like Iron Maiden is Iron Maiden, as simple as that.

So, Redemption At The Puritan's Hand is the 7th chapter in the book of Primordial, the long-awaited successor of To The Nameless Dead (2007). Four years later, the Irish flotilla of "The Coffin Ships" returns with an album that blends the darker vibe of Spirit The Earth Aflame with the lyrical fury of its predecessor. Inside its sound corridors you will find bitterness, sorrow, death, but you will also shake hands with anger, this is what actually happens when you get affiliated with the aforementioned emotions.

No, you won't find in here anthemic stand out tracks like the astonishing "Empire Falls", "Sons Of The Morrigan" etc, Redemption At The Puritan's Hand is targeting more to the point and the centre of the target rather than the circle itself. And the point is the unity of the compositions as they surpass you one by one like the float of the river, sometimes calm, others rough and in the end there's always a cataract. This time you won't get stuck in one song or two that will play ideal tricks on your mind. Either the album will conquer you gently for everything it represents or you've lost the battle in terms of comprehending the fact that Redemption At The Puritan's Hand is the epitome of everything Primordial have been so far. Something like a summary of their work and the epitome of it at the same time.

Alan Nemtheanga depicts his most sincere and heart-rending interpretation to date, he doesn't just sing the lyrics, he breathes through them, without forgetting his rougher edge of expression whenever required. The guitars keep their renowned traditional, electric tone, well-accompanied by the bombarding or marching rhythm section, but there's not a single chance you won't bear witness of their weeping this time. And there's always this unique contradiction of no matter how much disheartenment you might receive through Primordial's tunes , there's always a glimpse of hope lying in the corner.

"So here's to comrades near and far," this is what Redemption At The Puritan's Hand is. "And this is the death of the Republic?"

"And I say to my people's masters: beware, beware of the thing that is coming,
beware of the risen people, who shall take what we would not give.
Did ye think to conquer the people, or that law is stronger than life and than men's desire to be free?"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 07.05.2011 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 472 users
07.05.2011 - 01:09
Mikrokosmos
Account deleted
I feel the same way about that album, though I tend to prefer "Bloodied Yet Unbowed" and "The Mouth Of Judas". I love all the album though, yet perhaps a little bit less "God's Old Snake" (I find the rythmic a bit boring at some point)

and like you said, A.A.N.'s singing here is just awesome, such emotion in his voice...
07.05.2011 - 01:19
RavenLord

Amazing album. You make a good point about their sound being very consistent, but it's in no way repetitive. They have their distinctive (and pretty unique) blend of 'early Sabbath, Candlemass, Maiden, Lizzy, Bathory and 2nd Generation Black Metal', as A.A. once described it, but this isn't just 'To the Nameless Dead, Pt. II'.

I think they lyrics are possibly even stronger in this album than the last. The delivery on 'Bloodied Yet Unbowed' is pretty much a perfect summary of what Primordial are all about - the concept of having your heritage suppressed and rewritten, of being alienated and isolated, yet never losing hope and never giving ground to the forces that seek to homogenise and sweep away your culture.

Forget your Turisas and your Korpiklaani, this is what 'pagan' metal should be about. An absolutely solid sense of national identity and cultural heritage, without needing to resort to twee instrumentation or bawdy battle/drinking songs.

Oh, and the references to Pearse and W.B.Yeats in the lyrics were a very nice touch, as well.
----
07.05.2011 - 01:19
Rating: 9
ravendeath

Awesome album! Can't agree more with the review. DerRozzen... is the reviewer no.1 of the...
07.05.2011 - 01:26
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by ravendeath on 07.05.2011 at 01:19

Awesome album! Can't agree more with the review. DerRozzen... is the reviewer no.1 of the...

+1.
07.05.2011 - 02:09
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Spot on review. Good job!

Edit: This album just gets better and better each time I listen to it.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
07.05.2011 - 10:17
Merchant of Doom

I just found it incredibly boring and repetitive, the same rehashed soup, but I've never been a great Primordial fan.
07.05.2011 - 13:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 07.05.2011 at 10:17

I just found it incredibly boring and repetitive, the same rehashed soup, but I've never been a great Primordial fan.

I echo these sentiments. I liked them back when they were a bit more dynamic but I find them incredibly sterile these days. I suppose they're just extolling a particular sound they're known for and if you like that sound then I guess you're gonna love this (as DerRozz says) but I too find little of interest here.
07.05.2011 - 15:17
DarkSwan

Hate these guys....they can't do a bad album:) amazing:)
07.05.2011 - 16:03
Merchant of Doom

Written by Guest on 07.05.2011 at 13:57

I echo these sentiments. I liked them back when they were a bit more dynamic but I find them incredibly sterile these days. I suppose they're just extolling a particular sound they're known for and if you like that sound then I guess you're gonna love this (as DerRozz says) but I too find little of interest here.

Nemtheanga even managed to spoil one of my favourite bands, Void Of Silence...
07.05.2011 - 19:11
Mikyz

Agreed. It's not a bad album nor is it a great one, it's standard Primordial issue. Kinda like Amon Amarth. The best song on here is definitely "The Mouth of Judas", the other don't compare.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
07.05.2011 - 22:19
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie

Yes! So glad others share these feelings on Primordial.
08.05.2011 - 00:51
flamey

I guess it's a love or hate band, I'm on the loving side. This will be in my top 10 list at the end of the year for sure. I think it's not as good as To the Nameless Dead, but still awesome. Filled with epic Primordial style riffs that I can't get enough, and emotional singing, well thought out lyrics. Although at some points I had the feeling that some vocal parts were too forced, like in Lain with the Wolf, it disturbs a bit.
God's Old Snake stands out from the other tracks I think, it's kinda different, has this catchy rhythm and a sweet solo at the end. Generally I really like the drumming too.
Anyway, most of the things has been said in the review, no need to write more, just another high quality album from Primordial. Just what we need in a scene full of gimmicky bands.
09.05.2011 - 15:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
This is one of the best reviews I have ever read in my life... let's see what the album sounds like.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
11.05.2011 - 10:12
Rating: 8
Yojimbo

Can't stop listening to this album. The first and last two songs are incredible.
20.02.2012 - 08:16
ivulv

From Autumn's Blaze forward everything sounds sold not gold...my two cents
02.02.2017 - 02:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like opening part, I agree band should not prove much, name just stands high as flag in a rain, snow, or sun shine, its forever there and strong symbol of what so ever
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 9941 | This month: 11