06. Silent Towers
07. Labyrinth Of London (Horror Pt. IV)
08. Of Death And Corruption
09. April 14th
10. Night Will Forgive Us

Staff review by
D.T. Metal
Rating:
What attracted me to Swallow The Sun in the first place? Hard to say, but it was definitely their take on combining elements of doom and melodic death metal and putting their own spin on the outcome. And while not originators of this not easily defined genre, Swallow The Sun stayed somewhat true to their basic formula over the years.

Read more ››
published 01.08.2012 | Comments (28)

Found in 65 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 154   Visited by: 1787 users
08.05.2011 - 17:14
MechanisT
Account deleted
Hell yeah! Hell yeah! HELL YEAH!
08.05.2011 - 19:13
Rating: 10
MetalSpider
Nice! This should be interesting...and great hopefully.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
10.05.2011 - 09:53
Pankar95
Great news, they are my favourite doom metal band
19.05.2011 - 23:33
OMG cant wait cant wait
22.06.2011 - 00:08
SSM
Massacred
Waiting for strange rhythms, strong music phrases and unpredictable melodies plus unique vocals.
22.06.2011 - 01:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by SSM on 22.06.2011 at 00:08

Waiting for strange rhythms, strong music phrases and unpredictable melodies plus unique vocals.

I think you're waiting for the new Saturnus, not Swallow the Sun.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.06.2011 - 01:50
SSM
Massacred
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.06.2011 at 01:20

I'm not really waiting for anything...
but Swallow the Sun demonstrated that they can be creative.
11.08.2011 - 11:05
AXA
AWESOME
22.08.2011 - 02:18
lord artan
I cant wait
21.09.2011 - 08:35
Rating: 9
Vorgoth
Feb 1st! awwww yeah!
09.11.2011 - 18:50
meadow
Cant Wait That Long!!:wall:
10.01.2012 - 11:01
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Can't wait..Cathedral Walls is brilliant! STS create doom with such elegance and beauty nowhere seen before!!!
10.01.2012 - 11:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by metaleaterr on 10.01.2012 at 11:01

STS create doom with such elegance and beauty nowhere seen before!!!

I would beg to differ.
The first band in your favourtie bands list (Mar De Grises) is an example of a doom band who are way more elegant and more beautiful and vastly superior to the derivative doom StS plays.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2012 - 12:09
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2012 at 11:35

I would beg to differ.
The first band in your favourtie bands list (Mar De Grises) is an example of a doom band who are way more elegant and more beautiful and vastly superior to the derivative doom StS plays.

Well..I have to say I haven't listened to them before. So I can't comment about this until I hear them. But still if you listen to STS as you usually listen to other so-called stereotypical doom metal bands, you won't be able to understand them. Swallow The Sun is not just about music, it's all about that true doom metal feeling that takes you to another level. In fact I would say further that they are the only band that have been able to express doom so well, both lyrically and musically. If you still aren't convinced, go and listen to their album Hope and even New Moon. Not just listen, follow the lyrics and get the feeling and emotions that evoke from their music. I'm not saying melodic, there are far more melodic bands than STS, but the combination of melody, aggression and sorrow intermingled with an aura of menacing atmosphere. Just listen to the tracks 'Doomed to walk the earth' & 'Don't Fall Asleep' to get the idea! And follow the lyrics. Watch the video of Doomed to... get the feeling. Doom and STS is nothing for you if you don't it in the right sense. I'll definitely check out Mar de grises as I've heard much about them but that will not at all lessen my awe, admiration and respect for this great band that got me into true doom metal.
10.01.2012 - 12:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by metaleaterr on 10.01.2012 at 12:09

I would beg to differ.

Well..I have to say I haven't listened to them before. ... I'll definitely check out Mar de grises as I've heard much about them ...

Then why do you have Mar De Grises listed in your favourite bands list if you haven't heard them?

Swallow The Sun is the most prefabricated plastic shallow doom around to my ears. Almost like a pop boyband.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2012 - 13:21
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2012 at 12:15

Written by metaleaterr on 10.01.2012 at 12:09

I would beg to differ.

Well..I have to say I haven't listened to them before. ... I'll definitely check out Mar de grises as I've heard much about them ...

Then why do you have Mar De Grises listed in your favourite bands list if you haven't heard them?

Swallow The Sun is the most prefabricated plastic shallow doom around to my ears. Almost like a pop boyband.

Well..That sounds deliberate Majority of MS members and doom metal fans will disagree with this comment, that's for sure..At least the 'pop boyband' tag is laughable. Anyway, its your opinion and that won't have any effect on the interests of the rest of metal community. And regarding Mar de Grises, I meant to say, I haven't heard it well,i.e I have not listened to any album of theirs, only some samples which I liked and so instantly became one of my faves(as you can see, the list is quite big ) but not to that extent that they be greater than STS. STS RULZZ DOOM!!!! and the whole doom metal community knows that. Even big doom acts like My Dying Bride and Candlemass respect them and personally convey them to let them know how great their music is. What can others say?
10.01.2012 - 13:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by metaleaterr on 10.01.2012 at 13:21

...Majority of ... and doom metal fans will disagree with this comment, that's for sure...

I can guarantee you that the majority of doom metal fans that go to doom festivals and doom concerts and such agree with me
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2012 - 13:40
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
I disagree..May be for the local scene. But for worldwide, Swallow The Sun>>>>>>mar de grises. In fact, there is no comparison b/w the two. They are miles apart. It's for the first time I saw someone making so silly a comparison. This is so awkward.
10.01.2012 - 13:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by metaleaterr on 10.01.2012 at 13:40

I disagree..May be for the local scene. But for worldwide, Swallow The Sun>>>>>>mar de grises. In fact, there is no comparison b/w the two. They are miles apart. It's for the first time I saw someone making so silly a comparison. This is so awkward.

MdG is way better than StS, StS might be more popular but that doesn't make them better. I am talking about doom fans and doom bands worldwide where the majority don't think too highly of StS at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2012 - 13:47
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.06.2011 at 01:20

Written by SSM on 22.06.2011 at 00:08

ha ha...quite true!
10.01.2012 - 13:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Yeah.... People usually lose all the credibility I would give them the minute I see they have an absurd amount of bands in their bandlist and specially if they don't even listen to a band and put them in a list of their favorite bands.

You call the comparison silly... I call your entire list of favorite bands, your (lack of) knowledge of the doom scene and your way of listening to one melody to call a band a favorite being completely silly.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.01.2012 - 14:03
VPeter
Swallow The Sun is just an average band for the Doom metal fan, if you visit any doom metal concert/fest you can go around and ask and they will all most likely say it. Swallow the Sun is popular with the non doom metal, not really surprising as when you come down to it Swallow the Sun is not really Doom metal but more Melodic Death with some Doom in it.
10.01.2012 - 14:25
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.01.2012 at 13:58

Yeah.... People usually lose all the credibility I would give them the minute I see they have an absurd amount of bands in their bandlist and specially if they don't even listen to a band and put them in a list of their favorite bands.

You call the comparison silly... I call your entire list of favorite bands, your (lack of) knowledge of the doom scene and your way of listening to one melody to call a band a favorite being completely silly.

Why not? Its not one melody. Understand what I say fully and then comment. When I add some band in my fave list, it means that I've listened it enough and liked it that much. Otherwise, why would I add it. Everytime It's not a necessary condition that you've to listen to a whole lot of albums or complete discography to add it as favorite. It's a personal choice and if I listen to a few songs and then it becomes an instant favorite, that's not silly. The question was not this one. Rather the argument was the comparison of a mar de grises to STS. That's was silly! If I've a big list, that means I've listened a lot and my opinion should matter and that means I'm a more flexible listener. The problem with you guys is that you don't appreciate good music. Instead you fight and argue over it . That leads nowhere. Go listen to STS and other doom bands I've in my list with your earnest attention and compare. You will know yourself what a silly argument that was and no need to argue for that. And regarding your knowledge of doom scene, its quite apparent to me now, what knowledge you have! By Your deliberate way of negating everything and illogical arguments, whatever respect you had earned in my mind until now, that is lost now. I listen to a lot of metal nowadays and I've heard everything that's included in that list...some less some more..that doesn't matter. But they have quality, that's for sure. Look closely before you judge people btw!
10.01.2012 - 14:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.01.2012 - 14:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I am about 99.999999% certain I listened and heard more bands than you Metaleaterr and I am also certain I have more knowledge of the doom scene than you.

Even though all this is true you are allowed to view StS as the epitome of doom, but also got to respect me and a loads of people like me in the doom scene that don't regard StS highly at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2012 - 14:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by metaleaterr on 10.01.2012 at 14:25
comment

You see dude.... My problem with your comment isn't your opinion of Swallow The Sun, Mar De Grises or the entire doom scene. What forced me to post in the first place was the following:
Quote:
It's for the first time I saw someone making so silly a comparison.

Basically... You are being just as much (if not more) arrogant than you think I am. Even if I didn't know SWT or MDG I would have commented about it if given the chance because if you regard someone's opinion as silly then you obviously will get the same treatment back for not showing respect.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.01.2012 - 15:36
Marillion
I couldn't agree more!!!
10.01.2012 - 16:14
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.01.2012 at 14:53

Written by metaleaterr on 10.01.2012 at 14:25
comment

You see dude.... My problem with your comment isn't your opinion of Swallow The Sun, Mar De Grises or the entire doom scene. What forced me to post in the first place was the following:
Quote:
It's for the first time I saw someone making so silly a comparison.

Basically... You are being just as much (if not more) arrogant than you think I am. Even if I didn't know SWT or MDG I would have commented about it if given the chance because if you regard someone's opinion as silly then you obviously will get the same treatment back for not showing respect.

Now you got me wrong here. I'm not saying his opinion is silly. I was just suggesting that the argument itself is silly as I don't usually compare bands like that. I know Mar de Grises is also a very good band. But comparing it straight with STS is a bit far-fetched as you know what place STS has in doom metal. I usually don't go into such arguments about bands. But what pissed me of was his labeling of such a great band as --- "Swallow The Sun is the most prefabricated plastic shallow doom around to my ears. Almost like a pop boyband." Now any guy who doesn't like STS also won't comment like this. Don't you think this is a bit immature. And he was the first to compare, not me.
10.01.2012 - 16:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by metaleaterr on 10.01.2012 at 16:14
And he was the first to compare, not me.

Everything can be compared tbh... They are in the same genre, of course I can compare them if I feel like it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.01.2012 - 16:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
And I stand by my judgement of StS as coming across as prefabricated plastic shallow doom comparable to a boy band. Just look at how they are marketed by their label and how they dress for photshoots and aso live. Hell, that scream like a by band version of a doom band.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 40454 | This month: 59