Metal Storm logo
Then and Now - How Your Musical Taste(s) Has Changed

Original post

Posted by JCJen7, 10.05.2011 - 03:49
I was just wondering how everyone elses' musical tastes have changed since they joined their sight, and what are your first comments on this sight pertaining to?
I ask this because I was looking over my earliest posts (which were only about a year ago!) and snickering to myself at how much I have changed. My first posts were on a Megadeth vs Metallica thread, and I am embaressed to have ever said what I did LOL. I was basically argueing that the only decent Megadeth albums were Killing is My Business and Rust in Peace, while Metallica was far superior. Today, about a year later, I don't know if I could decide which band I like better.

Also, one year ago, I had never even heard of black metal, doom metal, sludge metal, I though melodic death metal was the same thing as folk metal, and the only death metal band I could name was Cannibal Corpse, and I thought they were laughably bad.

My tastes have obviously changed, I am still not a big doom or sludge metal fan, but I really enjoy some good 90's melodic dm, the occasional black metal, and I really enjoy death metal.

So, looking back at your earliest posts on this website, how has your musical tastes changed since than? Did you make any arguments that you now consider ridiculous?
(I would like to apologize to Doc Godin, as I believe that is who I was trying to convice that Megadeth were a subpar band )

(P.S. - If this thread has already been made, I am sorry, I couldn't find it. Simply delete it, and maybe link me to the original if you'd be so kind.)
15.02.2012 - 17:03
FOOCK Nam
Written by RetardedByMetal on 15.02.2012 at 03:19

Can you recommend some underground good "suicidal black metal" band to me ? I am really interested to know as I am not that familiar with that.

here . Check out Lifelover, or the song Mental Central Dialog and others too
15.02.2012 - 17:29
dr.doom

Can you recommend some underground good "suicidal black metal" band to me ? I am really interested to know as I am not that familiar with that.

Drudkh
Shining
Leviathan (the USBM band, there are other bands under "Leviathan")
(Older) Nachtmystium
Judas Iscariot
Twilight
Murmur

I enjoy the USA Chicago BM scene a lot though :/
21.05.2012 - 02:47
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
I used to listen to a shitton of thrash. Now I seldom pick up thrash albums at all.
----
21.05.2012 - 15:44
Thrashette
I joined this site during my thrash-obsessed days hence the username... Prior to that, I would have considered myself a power/symphonic/gothic metal person. Now I'm more into death/black metal, but still listen to other types occasionally. I don't think MS affected my taste that much compared to other sites, it's just useful for following the metal scene and keeping track of band activities and events... Before joining MS, Vampirefreaks was the forum I was addicted to. The forum on that site was actually full of metalheads (especially the butthurt elitist type) and I discovered so much music there.
21.05.2012 - 19:38
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Thrashette on 21.05.2012 at 15:44

Before joining MS, Vampirefreaks was the forum I was addicted to. The forum on that site was actually full of metalheads (especially the butthurt elitist type) and I discovered so much music there.

Sounds cool, lots of butthurt elites types sounds relatable for me
----
21.05.2012 - 20:03
Thrashette
Written by Nosurper on 21.05.2012 at 19:38

Written by Thrashette on 21.05.2012 at 15:44

Before joining MS, Vampirefreaks was the forum I was addicted to. The forum on that site was actually full of metalheads (especially the butthurt elitist type) and I discovered so much music there.

Sounds cool, lots of butthurt elites types sounds relatable for me

Haha They aren't so bad if you ignore them bashing everyone's music taste and just take recommendations from them. Some of them really are useful for spreading the word about good music. And I assume a good amount of them are only posting on Vampirefreaks because they got the shit flamed out of them on Metal Archives and it's easier to impress angsty teens with metal knowledge than fellow butthurt elitists I haven't checked out Vampirefreaks forum for a while now, but it wasn't so bad last time I checked...
22.05.2012 - 19:33
arwestromen
Come to think of it I have been all over the place when it comes to genres (not really ALL over but quite a bit over the place) When joined MS I was pretty much into Power Metal especially from scandinavia including Finnland. Then I started listen to more "extreme" stuff mostly melodeth and black metal from norway.....then came a nostagic era with alot of Maiden, Metallica and other classic bands. Now I'm not really into any speciffic genre, I just enjoy bands and the music that I like
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
22.05.2012 - 23:54
DeadHeadPunk
Account deleted
Well thrash has always been my favorite and still is but i got into punk awhile ago. Back in the day i hated the stuff. Ive always liked death metal and classic rock too but im starting to listen to a bunch of stoner and doom metal stuff.
24.05.2012 - 07:00
MetalSpider
When I first started listening to metal, I listened to bands like In Flames, Soilwork, Children of Bodom (plus some nu-metal). From there my taste expanded to many different genres. Folk metal, Death metal, Prog metal, Power metal, Symphonic metal, Black metal (mainly black mixed with folk and/or death...never really listened to straight up black metal). Over the years I continued to search for bands from all these genres.

Now, I still listen to a bit of everything from every genre but at the moment I find myself more into the death metal side of things. But that could change eventually or soon...who knows.

This is from a strictly metal standpoint. Before metal, it was more radio rock and even before that hip-hop, rap and r&b...which were at the time, just a phase for me. But now I find myself listening to a little bit of hip hop and rap again.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
24.05.2012 - 09:42
bran
When i first got into metal it was strictly clean vocals. now im really getting into harsh vocals
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
28.10.2012 - 11:21
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Before I would typically listen to whatever happened to be playing on mainstream pop/rock/r&b radio at the time. Then over time, I would gradually get into Progressive rock (with getting into Stravinsky in third grade possibly a subconscious catalyst), and more extreme forms of metal (i was aware of Metallica, Queensrÿche, and Iron Maiden for quite a while until hearing bands like Opeth), and by the end of 2010, I became much-more well-rounded in my musical tastes, primarily in metal and have been expanding my palette ever since.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
29.10.2012 - 16:31
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I could write a thousand of words about how my musical taste has evolved, but I'll try to summarize it.

First was Hardcore/Punk and some mainstream Alternative Metal.
Then Hard Rock and Heavy Metal
And then Black metal
and then almost every rock shit

and today electronic/new wave/synthpop/post-punk.
12.11.2012 - 07:11
PrinceLink
I listen mainly to extreme metal these days, though I'm open to any metal genre except deathcore and grindcore
13.01.2013 - 22:46
Capt. Fluntas
I started off with Sabbath and power metal stuff, then went on to Metallica. I found growling in death metal or black metal vocals difficult to listen to at first, but I got used to them and started liking stuff like Burzum and death metal. At the moment I'm exploring death metal extensively
----
Life is one big meme.
14.01.2013 - 14:55
triptych
My 1st metal experience was with Zeppelin and Black Sabbath of course........I was looking for HIGH emotions back then......I still am today :):)
----
Wine, WOMEN and rock/metal:)
20.01.2013 - 11:22
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Used to be interested in extreme, brutal and primitive stuff. Nowadays it's more like listening to emotional songs, but not the ones about despair and hopelessness.
20.01.2013 - 21:03
Dinruth
I started with Rammstein and Rhapsody ... then I got into the extreme scene .. first with melodeath, then a little black, a little death/doom, a little extreme progressive, ... still not a fan of pure Death metal, but that's probably because I have not dedicated enough time to listen to it
21.01.2013 - 07:04
Before I got into metal, I listened to a lot of pop/rock and classic rock, mainly stuff like Nirvana, Breaking Benjamin and the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. After I was introduced to Iced Earth, Into Eternity, Blind Guardian and Kamelot by my boyfriend, I had a hard time going back to that kind of music, it started to bore me with its monotony . I started listening to mainly Power metal, some progressive and now, a year later, I'm starting to get into Black, Gothic and Doom. My new absolute favorite band is Primordial and I'm starting to get into Woods of Ypres, Tiamat and Novembers Doom. I've started to really appreciate the musical atmosphere produced by many of the metal styles.
22.01.2013 - 01:41
squidrick420
Written by dr.doom on 15.02.2012 at 17:29

Drudkh
Shining
Leviathan (the USBM band, there are other bands under "Leviathan")
(Older) Nachtmystium
Judas Iscariot
Twilight
Murmur

I enjoy the USA Chicago BM scene a lot though :/

i would also check out add Xasthur and Striborg if your after depressive/suicidal BM.
22.01.2013 - 02:16
ChromaBlue
Written by bran on 24.05.2012 at 09:42

When i first got into metal it was strictly clean vocals. now im really getting into harsh vocals

Absolutely the same. Took a good few years to appreciate the harsh, but love it now.
----
Sick sick band: facebook.com/ArtemisRedeemer
22.01.2013 - 12:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by squidrick420 on 22.01.2013 at 01:41

... and Striborg if your after depressive/suicidal BM.

the guy asked for good depressive/suicidal BM not for crap
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.01.2013 - 12:26
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Before, I did not listen to anything special, I just listened to everything that I liked back then (my theory is that I didn't knew exact what I liked or not, I just heard to like.. everything) Then I got into the Norwegian hard / poodel rockers Wig Wam. Listened only to them for like 1 year. Then I discovered Lordi, and listened to them for a while.

Found Dream Evil, which opened my eyes for metal in general. Moved on to powermetal, like Hammerfall and Powerwolf. Got into Sabaton after a while.

Found Kalmah - Hades on Youtube, and I loved the music so much that I forced myself to listen to it, because I really HATED screams and growls back then. I listened so much to it that I got used to the vocals, and I found the amazing-ness in this vocal style.

Today I am a big fan of bands like Insomnium, Kalmah, Ne Obliviscaris, Xantochroid and so on. Metal with emotions is what I prefer ( I guess). I do also enjoy Alcest a lot.
10.03.2013 - 00:41
skrog1
I've become more acceptant of things that aren't metal. Like, just recently I went out and got a bunch of '80's pop hits. Love that stuff. I may even go through an MC Hammer phase soon. lol. As far as metal goes, I mean I get pretty bored with a lot of the same music that keeps coming out. "Blast beat, blast beat, hang on the ride, epic fill, blast, blast, solo, blast, done." I just described over 89% of the bands that people listen to on these forums. That being said, if there's a creative or powerful way to do it, then fine. The greats are the greats because they do what they do the best. But there are a TON of dm, bm, tm bands that just keep pounding out the same crap album after album and it gets really old fast.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband