10. Stay The Course
11. Deter The Tyrant
12. Avalanche
13. Serenade Of Self-Destruction
14. Nostalgia [bonus]
15. Twin Flames [bonus]

Additional info
Produced by Sascha Paeth & Epica
Recorded at the Gate Studio in Wolfsburg, Germany between September and November 2011
Bass Guitar recorded at The Huts Studio in Antwerp, Belgium
Piano and Key-solo recorded at CFJ Studios in Oss, The Netherlands
Engineering by Miro
Mixed at The Gate Studio & The Pathway Studio in Wolfsburg, Germany, November and December 2011
Mastered at The Gate Studio in Wolfsburg, Germany, December 2011
All music arranged by Epica, Sascha Paeth, Miro and Amanda Somerville
Orchestral arranged by Miro
Vocal lines co-written by Sascha Paeth

Lyrics co-written by Amanda Somerville

Intro riff and verse "Internal Warfare" co-written by Frank Schiphorst and Jack Driessen & midpart "Deep Water Horizon" co-written by Jack Driessen

Latin translation by Gjalt Lucassen & Jaap Toorenaar

Bonus tracks:
14. Deter the Tyrant (Grunt version)(Unreleased)

Digital Version:
14. Nostalgia (03:26)
15. Twin Flames (Regular Version) (04:47)
+ Digital Booklet

Digipack:
14. Twin Flames (Soundtrack Version) (05:02)
15. Nostalgia (03:26)

North America
14. Twin Flames (Soundtrack Version) (05:02)

European & Japan:
14. Nostalgia (03:26)

Other versions from the album:
? The standard edition features the 13 tracks
? The CD + shirt edition contains the standard edition of the album, along with a t-shirt in the size of choice.
? The digipak edition contains the standard album and the bonus track "Nostalgia".
? The 2-LP white vinyl edition is limited to 150 copies and contains an A2-sized poster.
? The 2-LP black vinyl edition contains an A2-sized poster
? The mailorder edition, limited to 500 copies, contains a wooden box, which includes limited digipak, exclusive instrumental CD as bonus, artwork postcards and certificate.
? The American edition features 13 tracks + the bonus track Twin Flames (Soundtrack Version)
? Instrumental 2 LP version (released by Nuclear Blast on 01 June 2012)

IMPORTANT!
On a first version of the album, the song Serenade of Self-Destruction misses Mark's and Simone's vocals.
In apology Nuclear Blast released a free vocal version of "Serenade of Self-Destruction".
It is available for CD owners here:
http://www.nuclearblast.de/de/data/bands/epica/releases/track-download.html

Guest review by
PocketMetal
Rating:
Epica is back with a new album, trying to continue their success over the past years and to satisfy their many fans, even though they're not experimenting with a whole new approach this time; the result is something different from Design Your Universe.

Requiem for the Indifferent is less aggressive and more accessible, but at the end of the day it's just as enjoyable. The album has its flaws like every other Epica album, but almost every song has enough interesting moments to look forward to. It can be the professional choirs, some good riffs and solos, some well timed growls or Simone's amazing vocals. But you also have to endure the average done-to-death stuff that keep appearing throughout your lengthy listen.

Read more ››
published 11.06.2012 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
IanYeara
Rating:
So I've finally marshaled my thoughts on Requiem for the Indifferent. I love Epica, they are my third favorite band, but when I heard this album I didn't fanboy out, I just sat there in confusion unsure of what to think. What's really different about this album is that's it's not as inherently catchy as their previous material, it's slower as well and a lot more progressive. Ultimately this album really doesn't stack up to the rest of their discography and especially not Design Your Universe which is literally one song away from being perfect; they clearly decided to experiment with this album which I have no problem with, but in music one must be careful with experimentation because while in this case it's not completely disastrous it could have been so much worse. In some cases that experimentation on this album works well and it was somewhat refreshing.

Read more ››
published 23.09.2013 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
TheJester
Rating:
The previous Epica album, I can freely say, was a masterpiece. I read a lot of negative reviews on this album so I decided to write a review myself. Is this the weakest Epica album? Yes. Is this a bad album? No!

With this album, Epica decided to change a few things that were significant in previous ones. The album is mostly guitar-oriented; the riffs are good and heavy, but we can sense the absence of symphonic orchestra elements. Also Simone was singing mostly with a clean, non-falsetto voice, which also was one of significant factors, so I can understand why people rage over this album so much. However, Simone did heavenly good vocal melodies even without falsetto. Mark's growls were also on point.

Read more ››
published 28.04.2020 | Comments (3)

Found in 37 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 118   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1324 users
11.05.2011 - 17:38
Rating: 6
JosephKobti
Hope it won't be like the last album
27.06.2011 - 03:29
Epica is an unusual example of a band that has gotten better with age (to me, if a band changes much over time, it is usually for the worse)... If they proceed in this direction, I can't wait to see how this album will turn out.

The best thing about their last album was that it sounded... huge. Much better in that dimension that The Divine Conspiracy (which was still very excellent).
04.09.2011 - 14:32
Zender 1.8
Indestructible
Simone Is Getting old :S :S
08.09.2011 - 18:28
Abattoir
staff
Written by Zender 1.8 on 04.09.2011 at 14:32

Well who doesn't

Btw, I think you don't have to worry about her age for quite a while
09.09.2011 - 01:17
Rating: 6
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Simone ain't getting old, she's getting experienced
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
18.09.2011 - 03:23

You know she's only 26, right? :p

If any hot metal frontwomen are getting old, it's Sharon den Adel and Cristina Scabbia, both to hit 40 soon... Not that I necessarily mind...
18.09.2011 - 12:30
Zender 1.8
Indestructible
Written by Sleeping Dragon on 18.09.2011 at 03:23

You know she's only 26, right? :p

If any hot metal frontwomen are getting old, it's Sharon den Adel and Cristina Scabbia, both to hit 40 soon... Not that I necessarily mind...

you are totally correct.... i this Simone is Getting Old Cause i watch UNLEASHED Music Video All The Time....
Look At Her Face ....and Compare it with other music videos....and you will see what i mean!!
\m/
02.11.2011 - 15:32
Rating: 10
Snakull
I can't wait for this album !
19.11.2011 - 15:24
Rating: 7
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Whoever hasn't seen Doro or Liv Kristine live yet, hasn't gazed into the face of age yet.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
02.12.2011 - 13:18
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
The first ever ErnilEnNaur sucky album prediction: This album will be the least acclaimed Epica album on MS since The Score. It will be criticized for repeating the same old ideas lyrically and for going to strange new places musically, but falling flat on it's face when it comes to realizing those ideas. Simone will be great as always.

Time will tell.
07.01.2012 - 17:02
STORM THE SORROW released on yotube
13.01.2012 - 22:12
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Epica is one of those bands that I can't imagine releasing a bad album. But then again I thought the same thing about Evergrey and Kamelot and they eventually fell from grace too. I do not have high expectations for this album but I also don't think I will be disappointed.
----
05.03.2012 - 17:40
AlexisCroze
Account deleted
Ok : the album is bad. Bad production (guitars are down-mixed, totally drowned on the background), Simone is quite often out of tune ("Monopoly on Truth", "Infernal Warfare", "Deter the Tyrant" for example), compositions are mediocre (trying to sound progressive but they're not able to be progressive AT ALL).
Very disappointing after DYU.
06.03.2012 - 04:39
Fred
Album leaked overnight. Very decent songs and nice unexpected variety for a first listen.
Need to give it a few more spins, however doesn't feel like many songs will get me hooked.
Toe to toe with Xandria for the "2012 Best Symphonic Metal Award"?
----
Fred
06.03.2012 - 14:34
Enissa
Really weird album and hasn't to do with their style at all, production sounds weird too...need more listens though!
06.03.2012 - 16:19
Rating: 8
annodomini
Probably a big candidate to disappointment of the year ;// Album sounds like B sides compilation. And probably even Amberian dawn new one is better ;/ Actually, I am shocked.
----
the riddle wants to be...
06.03.2012 - 17:27
Ap46
Pretty pathetic this album... There's nothing complexity can do when your main singer sounds exactly the same in every single track. The best track is Guilty Demeanor, a 3 minute song, the "epic ones" that long more than 6 minutes are plain boring and uninspired. I feared that Mark was more excited about his other project MaYaN, leaving the best for that one. I was right... think now Epica is his side project. Nicely done.
06.03.2012 - 18:22
annodomini
Written by Guest on 05.03.2012 at 17:40

Ok : the album is bad. Bad production (guitars are down-mixed, totally drowned on the background), Simone is quite often out of tune ("Monopoly on Truth", "Infernal Warfare", "Deter the Tyrant" for example), compositions are mediocre (trying to sound progressive but they're not able to be progressive AT ALL).
Very disappointing after DYU.

Well Simone actually isn't out of tune. The thing is that, they tried to make ultra progressive vocal lines, and they failed, because it was forced and unnatural. It reminds me of After Forever's 'Invisible Circles". But difference is that IC was actually a descent album. I couldn't say that Requiem is bad album, it's quite entertaining, but with such a high standarts, that Epica has reached and determined by themselves, in the last few albums, I expected much more.

Written by Ap46 on 06.03.2012 at 17:27

Pretty pathetic this album... There's nothing complexity can do when your main singer sounds exactly the same in every single track. The best track is Guilty Demeanor, a 3 minute song, the "epic ones" that long more than 6 minutes are plain boring and uninspired. I feared that Mark was more excited about his other project MaYaN, leaving the best for that one. I was right... think now Epica is his side project. Nicely done.

Well it's a matter of taste, because I found MaYan to be a very mediocore album. But yes, Mark will have to choose one, because after Requiem, they will feel the negative response of the fans.
----
06.03.2012 - 18:28
AlexisCroze
Account deleted
They wanted distorsions on her vocal lines : they have, but the result isn't good. Simone is not able to sing her vocal lines (I just can't imagine the live acts ... I've seen them 2 times and it was both a disaster), seriously.
It's a real let-down after Design Your Universe but many people seems to love it because, I quote : "Epica can't fail, Epica is always amazing". True story.

Well, I used to like them before I went to their live shows and listened to RFTI.
Maybe the next one will be better, we'll see ;-)
06.03.2012 - 19:03
Ap46
Written by annodomini on 06.03.2012 at 18:22

Well it's a matter of taste, because I found MaYan to be a very mediocore album. But yes, Mark will have to choose one, because after Requiem, they will feel the negative response of the fans.

You said it, I liked MaYaN, but i like Epica more. I'm afraid that if Mark has to choose he will continue with MaYaN, but i prefer that to wait till 2015 for Epica's next (probably mediocre) release.
06.03.2012 - 20:07
annodomini
Written by Ap46 on 06.03.2012 at 19:03

Written by annodomini on 06.03.2012 at 18:22

You said it, I liked MaYaN, but i like Epica more. I'm afraid that if Mark has to choose he will continue with MaYaN, but i prefer that to wait till 2015 for Epica's next (probably mediocre) release.

I really doubti it, that Mark would choose MaYan to Epica, cause money is important, and epica has a name and a huge fan base, so it would be foolish to get rid off of such a succesful project. But... It would not be the first time (After Forever)
----
06.03.2012 - 20:35
swatata
I did not like the album too. Maybe only 3-4 songs caught my ear. The else is just strange and i dont like it. They tried to do something different but it failed.
06.03.2012 - 22:24
Fred
Thought about giving the album a chance with a second listen, and it's enough: Simone's vocals are so boring and monotonous and choir is excessively used. Mark's growls are highly marked and the music is a bit progressive-oriented. It seems trying to change many things at once hasn't paid off at all.
----
Fred
06.03.2012 - 22:43
|pyro|
This album iz amazing, really progressive and such. I like it.
07.03.2012 - 14:56
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Going for the 3rd listen and I can tell I love the album. Nice progressive approach.
"Water Deep Horizon" is the best track by far.

Did everybody also get "Serenade Of Self-Destruction" as a instrumental? Know that it isn't supposed to be so.
07.03.2012 - 15:33
Rating: 9
PocketMetal
Reading the comments here made me worried , but the album is fine ! I think I only dislike one song ( Guilty Demeanor ) but the rest of the album is awesome .

^Serenade is not instrumental , actually the vocal parts on that song make it the best song on this album for me .
8.5/10 from me .
07.03.2012 - 18:32
Fallen_Angel
Album is great. End of story
08.03.2012 - 10:44
annodomini
Written by PocketMetal on 07.03.2012 at 15:33

Reading the comments here made me worried , but the album is fine ! I think I only dislike one song ( Guilty Demeanor ) but the rest of the album is awesome .

^Serenade is not instrumental , actually the vocal parts on that song make it the best song on this album for me .
8.5/10 from me .

So you already got official cd? Cause while I have to listen to leaked versions, all of them contains Serenada as instrumental.
----
08.03.2012 - 13:21
PocketMetal
Written by annodomini on 08.03.2012 at 10:44

So you already got official cd? Cause while I have to listen to leaked versions, all of them contains Serenada as instrumental.

no I guess I made a mistake , I meant the choir ... didn't know a song with choir can be considered an instrumental song , I really doubt there is another version for this song .
08.03.2012 - 16:13
Abel
I just started to listen to it and yes... It's still Epica, altho, something about the drums sounds different, and it reminds me more to The Divine Conspiracy than Design your Universe for some reason... anyway we'll see...

and honestly ... Simone slowly but surely; it's getting better

Hits total: 37272 | This month: 37