10. Stay The Course
11. Deter The Tyrant
12. Avalanche
13. Serenade Of Self-Destruction
14. Nostalgia [bonus]
15. Twin Flames [bonus]

Additional info
Produced by Sascha Paeth & Epica
Recorded at the Gate Studio in Wolfsburg, Germany between September and November 2011
Bass Guitar recorded at The Huts Studio in Antwerp, Belgium
Piano and Key-solo recorded at CFJ Studios in Oss, The Netherlands
Engineering by Miro
Mixed at The Gate Studio & The Pathway Studio in Wolfsburg, Germany, November and December 2011
Mastered at The Gate Studio in Wolfsburg, Germany, December 2011
All music arranged by Epica, Sascha Paeth, Miro and Amanda Somerville
Orchestral arranged by Miro
Vocal lines co-written by Sascha Paeth

Lyrics co-written by Amanda Somerville

Intro riff and verse "Internal Warfare" co-written by Frank Schiphorst and Jack Driessen & midpart "Deep Water Horizon" co-written by Jack Driessen

Latin translation by Gjalt Lucassen & Jaap Toorenaar

Bonus tracks:
14. Deter the Tyrant (Grunt version)(Unreleased)

Digital Version:
14. Nostalgia (03:26)
15. Twin Flames (Regular Version) (04:47)
+ Digital Booklet

Digipack:
14. Twin Flames (Soundtrack Version) (05:02)
15. Nostalgia (03:26)

North America
14. Twin Flames (Soundtrack Version) (05:02)

European & Japan:
14. Nostalgia (03:26)

Other versions from the album:
? The standard edition features the 13 tracks
? The CD + shirt edition contains the standard edition of the album, along with a t-shirt in the size of choice.
? The digipak edition contains the standard album and the bonus track "Nostalgia".
? The 2-LP white vinyl edition is limited to 150 copies and contains an A2-sized poster.
? The 2-LP black vinyl edition contains an A2-sized poster
? The mailorder edition, limited to 500 copies, contains a wooden box, which includes limited digipak, exclusive instrumental CD as bonus, artwork postcards and certificate.
? The American edition features 13 tracks + the bonus track Twin Flames (Soundtrack Version)
? Instrumental 2 LP version (released by Nuclear Blast on 01 June 2012)

IMPORTANT!
On a first version of the album, the song Serenade of Self-Destruction misses Mark's and Simone's vocals.
In apology Nuclear Blast released a free vocal version of "Serenade of Self-Destruction".
It is available for CD owners here:
http://www.nuclearblast.de/de/data/bands/epica/releases/track-download.html

Guest review by
PocketMetal
Rating:
Epica is back with a new album, trying to continue their success over the past years and to satisfy their many fans, even though they're not experimenting with a whole new approach this time; the result is something different from Design Your Universe.

Requiem for the Indifferent is less aggressive and more accessible, but at the end of the day it's just as enjoyable. The album has its flaws like every other Epica album, but almost every song has enough interesting moments to look forward to. It can be the professional choirs, some good riffs and solos, some well timed growls or Simone's amazing vocals. But you also have to endure the average done-to-death stuff that keep appearing throughout your lengthy listen.

Read more ››
published 11.06.2012 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
IanYeara
Rating:
So I've finally marshaled my thoughts on Requiem for the Indifferent. I love Epica, they are my third favorite band, but when I heard this album I didn't fanboy out, I just sat there in confusion unsure of what to think. What's really different about this album is that's it's not as inherently catchy as their previous material, it's slower as well and a lot more progressive. Ultimately this album really doesn't stack up to the rest of their discography and especially not Design Your Universe which is literally one song away from being perfect; they clearly decided to experiment with this album which I have no problem with, but in music one must be careful with experimentation because while in this case it's not completely disastrous it could have been so much worse. In some cases that experimentation on this album works well and it was somewhat refreshing.

Read more ››
published 23.09.2013 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
TheJester
Rating:
The previous Epica album, I can freely say, was a masterpiece. I read a lot of negative reviews on this album so I decided to write a review myself. Is this the weakest Epica album? Yes. Is this a bad album? No!

With this album, Epica decided to change a few things that were significant in previous ones. The album is mostly guitar-oriented; the riffs are good and heavy, but we can sense the absence of symphonic orchestra elements. Also Simone was singing mostly with a clean, non-falsetto voice, which also was one of significant factors, so I can understand why people rage over this album so much. However, Simone did heavenly good vocal melodies even without falsetto. Mark's growls were also on point.

Read more ››
published 28.04.2020 | Comments (3)

Found in 37 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 118   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1324 users
23.03.2012 - 10:13
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
THERE'S NO VOCALS ON THE LAST SONG.
Sorry, inevitably some idiot would say that, so I thought I'd get in first.
After first listen, on the symphonic metal scale, it's better than Meredead, not as good as The Silent Force.
And I see once again that Amanda Sommerville was involved. Can anyone tell me if she appears as a backing/choir singer on all the other albums? Got Phantom Agony and Divine Conspiricy which both have her, so if she's on all of the albums I'll try to change the profile to show her as a perminent session musician, rather than a separate stint for each album.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
23.03.2012 - 10:13
doomarc

Total eight points :O This is unfair and murder.But i've started to sort out why Epica fans disliked the new album :/ I guess the biggest reason is Simone's voice.She doesn't use opera voice and according to me this is her best performance and she was never good at opera singing on live performances.And second reason : ) we can hear less keyboard melodies in RFTI, because they've prefferred melodic and progressive guitar riffs. They've improved themselves and the album is best of them after DYU.You may listen old albums that were simple keyboard metal.That may be your eartaste, i understand, but it doesn't mean you can't be equitable while voting.
23.03.2012 - 11:29
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Oh, I forgot to ask before. Why did they name the interlude track after Semargl's drummer?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
24.03.2012 - 23:58
Zhazhael
Account deleted
Written by Night Sight on 20.03.2012 at 15:55

I like simone new style of singing .it is better than her operatic singing. it is more natural .i think she is not strong enough in operatic singing as she is in pop singing.overall the music is not as heavy as deign your universe

Can you tell me how to put the rating?
25.03.2012 - 03:40
Lyphiria

Didn't like this one too much, but not because of Simone's vocals (actually I'm very happy that she found herself, and some of the belting parts are as hard as any lyrical pieces in the past albums), but the music, for me, lacks something. The choir is more diverse compared to the last albums, but veeery bad used, it simply doesn't fit in many songs. The symphonic parts lack some originality, very plain, very common. The guitars and drums are awesome and Mark's grunts are...hum...as expected. There are very good songs like "Monopoly on Truth" (The best), "Internal Warfare", "Deep Water Horizon", "Avalanche" and "Nostalgia", but the rest doesn't catch much of my attention
25.03.2012 - 21:58
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by doomarc on 23.03.2012 at 10:13

Total eight points :O This is unfair and murder.But i've started to sort out why Epica fans disliked the new album :/ I guess the biggest reason is Simone's voice.She doesn't use opera voice and according to me this is her best performance and she was never good at opera singing on live performances.And second reason : ) we can hear less keyboard melodies in RFTI, because they've prefferred melodic and progressive guitar riffs. They've improved themselves and the album is best of them after DYU.You may listen old albums that were simple keyboard metal.That may be your eartaste, i understand, but it doesn't mean you can't be equitable while voting.

You are absolutely right, sir.
26.03.2012 - 00:35
doomarc

According to some fans, if a symphonic metal band doesn't use high notes of opera vocal or keyboard, it's bad music. : ) but they missed what actually Epica wanted to do in this album.I accept that Anima and Guilty Demeanor are weak songs, but it's a concept album and i try to see the whole work.There are progressive and melodic masterpieces in RFTI.I'm sorry for Epica that lots of fans didn't like the album.And now, i am afraid of the upcoming album of them.What if they want to satisfy audiences and copy themselves
26.03.2012 - 02:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Agreed. Eight points is absolute murder. You voters should all be sentenced to life in prison (and all you Texan voters should be given the death penalty).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.03.2012 - 12:35
Rating: 6
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by doomarc on 23.03.2012 at 10:13

I find my eartaste to be equitable. The vocals, good as always. The music behind it, pretty darn bland and uninspired. Some have passed it off as 'progressive' in the vain hope that they can validate the flat sound this album has. Nothing in particular strikes me as progressive on this, it just sounds like a boring extension of previous work. The previous album is far superior for me.
26.03.2012 - 17:54
doom777

Boring album!
26.03.2012 - 23:01
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by R'Vannith on 26.03.2012 at 12:35

Some have passed it off as 'progressive' in the vain hope that they can validate the flat sound this album has. Nothing in particular strikes me as progressive on this, it just sounds like a boring extension of previous work.

"When you can't be arsed to write songs with some flow and grabbing factor, just slap a prog label on it! Isn't that what "progressive" means? Isn't it????
-I'm afraid you're wrong, sir."

And then you slap them.
----
7.0 means the album is good
27.03.2012 - 06:23
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Milena on 26.03.2012 at 23:01

Some have passed it off as 'progressive' in the vain hope that they can validate the flat sound this album has. Nothing in particular strikes me as progressive on this, it just sounds like a boring extension of previous work.

"When you can't be arsed to write songs with some flow and grabbing factor, just slap a prog label on it! Isn't that what "progressive" means? Isn't it????

And then you slap them.

That's what annoys me, the label 'progressive' is vague enough already without hiding something totally unrelated under it's umbrella. People seem to be saying "Nah man, this isn't crap, it's just progressive you know? Just gotta let it sink in." Bollocks.
27.03.2012 - 09:03
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Epica is one of my favorite bands. and Im not feelin this
----
pewpew.. gotcha
30.03.2012 - 20:48
Anastasia

Just 2-3 good songs i'm disappointed...
02.04.2012 - 19:47
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
To those who call this "prog": hum. No.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
03.04.2012 - 07:06
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by MétalNoir on 02.04.2012 at 19:47

I don't think anyone is calling it prog. Just the usual approaches they have are more evident.
But yeah, labeling the band as prog would be the same as saying it's death metal for Mark's growls.
03.04.2012 - 12:17
FeskarN

There are some good songs on this album but those are few.. Most of the songs are really boring, as a whole im disapointed. Best songs atm are "Monopoly On Truth", "Storm The Sorrow", "Delirium" and "Deep Water Horizon".
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
04.04.2012 - 14:30
CyberSymphony
Ollie
3 full listens and still no improvements or even this slightest of something impressive standing out. Biggest disappointed on the year so far. Monopoly on Truth and Internal Warfare are the only songs worth their weight. IMO
05.04.2012 - 02:42
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Unhealer on 03.04.2012 at 07:06

Written by MétalNoir on 02.04.2012 at 19:47

I don't think anyone is calling it prog. Just the usual approaches they have are more evident.
But yeah, labeling the band as prog would be the same as saying it's death metal for Mark's growls.

Read the comments above, dude. There apparently are people who try to justify this album's un-catchiness with the "it's more prog, more cerebral, y'know" argument. Like boring music always served a higher purpose or I don't know what bullshit...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
05.04.2012 - 03:12
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by MétalNoir on 05.04.2012 at 02:42

Read the comments above, dude. There apparently are people who try to justify this album's un-catchiness with the "it's more prog, more cerebral, y'know" argument. Like boring music always served a higher purpose or I don't know what bullshit...

I see where those comments come from since it happened to me several times. But I agree it shouldn't be used as an argument to defend the album since it's a completely personal thing.
06.04.2012 - 14:17
*!*

Its good but it gets boring a little after a while, through every listen i'd get distracted somewhere on the 2nd half of it and the growls or some riff would be the only thing that would get my attention back, simone's vocals are nice but some how gets dull and brings down the energy of some parts of the album. There are some great tracks here tho. Not a bad album but definitely the worst one i heard from epica.
20.04.2012 - 22:35
Rating: 9
PocketMetal

Written by Milena on 26.03.2012 at 23:01

And then you slap them.

I'd say it's a little different from DYU but in the same direction , from my point of view people say it's kinda proggy because it's different in some parts ... but they don't do that to justify anything , I mean if some people enjoy it let them call it what they want .
it's not like this album is bad for EVERYONE . I didn't force myself to enjoy this ... it just felt good from the first listen .
20.04.2012 - 22:40
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by PocketMetal on 20.04.2012 at 22:35

from my point of view people say it's kinda proggy because it's different in some parts ... but they don't do that to justify anything , I mean if some people enjoy it let them call it what they want .

That is an incorrect usage of that tag we just commented on how it is fast becoming one of the more popular tags to apply to bands that actually don't know what they're doing and how we're annoyed by that. R'Vannith thinks Epica is such a band, you think they aren't. And it's all fine and dandy, really.
----
20.04.2012 - 22:47
PocketMetal

Written by Milena on 20.04.2012 at 22:40

That is an incorrect usage of that tag we just commented on how it is fast becoming one of the more popular tags to apply to bands that actually don't know what they're doing and how we're annoyed by that. R'Vannith thinks Epica is such a band, you think they aren't. And it's all fine and dandy, really.

maybe you're right , I'm a Prog fan myself and I don't find any progressive music in this album . but I was mainly referring to the "validate the flat sound " part , people don't need to validate something in their brain to enjoy it. they just do that when they are trying to convince others ... and sometimes they use the wrong word
20.04.2012 - 22:49
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by PocketMetal on 20.04.2012 at 22:47

people don't need to validate something in their brain to enjoy it. they just do that when they are trying to convince others ... and sometimes they use the wrong word

I was actually talking about press people and band people, perhaps R'Vannith meant also the fans anyway, you'd be surprised at how some people need to validate everything they do.
----
27.04.2012 - 10:01
The Melting Snow

A bit of a let down, i had high hopes after "Design your Universe". but Epica have greatly improved their instrumental work. enjoyed the riffs and solos.
27.04.2012 - 12:39
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by PocketMetal on 20.04.2012 at 22:47

Written by Milena on 20.04.2012 at 22:40

maybe you're right , I'm a Prog fan myself and I don't find any progressive music in this album . but I was mainly referring to the "validate the flat sound " part , people don't need to validate something in their brain to enjoy it. they just do that when they are trying to convince others ... and sometimes they use the wrong word

Just noticed this discussion now, you are right of course. If you're just listening to an album for the enjoyment then you don't tend to 'validate' it to yourself as such, though I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some people do this. When I said that others had been using the label progressive as validation of the flat sound I was referring to what seems to me to be the general consensus, and I suppose you could question whether that's because I've focused on occasions where people have used that label.
29.04.2012 - 00:12
Rating: 10
Tiglath Pileser

I can't stop listening to this record. I have been following Epica closely from the moment I saw them at a small gig in town, and it is great to see how this once small band has evolved into a huge act (I live in the area where they originated). Something people in the 80's would've had with Iron Maiden et al, I guess. Nevertheless, I have been enjoying their music for quite some time and it is amazing to see how each new release in some way manages to surpass its predecessor. This of course also applies to Requiem for the Indifferent, which, although it required some time, is quite a lot better than Design Your Universe. Granted, that latter record was amazing and one of the best of 2009, but on Requiem Epica manages to enhance their sound by reducing the bombast a little and let the metal parts overtake. Both albums are huge, but Requiem definitely gets the upper hand. That Nuclear Blast deleted the vocals in on the last track is actually one of those few points that help make this a better record. I've listened to the intended version on YouTube and on an MP3 I received as compensation, but the instrumental version really makes this album special. A beautiful symphonic outro that leaves the listener in a state of dream, only wanting more. No surprise that I haven't listened to anything else for the last month. Next month there's another gig nearby, time to see them again.
02.05.2012 - 19:02
PocketMetal

Written by Tiglath Pileser on 29.04.2012 at 00:12

I can't stop listening to this record. I have been following Epica closely from the moment I saw them at a small gig in town, and it is great to see how this once small band has evolved into a huge act (I live in the area where they originated). Something people in the 80's would've had with Iron Maiden et al, I guess. Nevertheless, I have been enjoying their music for quite some time and it is amazing to see how each new release in some way manages to surpass its predecessor.

oh finally someone who thinks it's better than DYU , I agree Epica only got better with each album ...
03.05.2012 - 10:45
Rating: 10
Tiglath Pileser

Written by PocketMetal on 02.05.2012 at 19:02

oh finally someone who thinks it's better than DYU , I agree Epica only got better with each album ...

Haha. It is actually hard to believe. Though now I've been listening to their first albums a few times I think they have some kind of atmosphere the newer ones lack, though in terms of quality they're certainly better.

Hits total: 37259 | This month: 24