Metal Storm logo
New Trends in Metal

14.05.2011 - 09:22
Candlemass
Defaeco
I''m seeing lately many "Math Metal/djent" bands popping like mushrooms after rain - probably thanks to Meshuggah's influence.
Djent from 2010-2011:
Cloudkicker, Chimp Spanner, Periphery, Radiance
Hord, gru, Returning We Hear the Larks, TesseracT
Paul Wardingham, Subversion, Tyrant of Death, Sees
Spiralmountain, Tre Watson, etc.

Deathcore is another, yet more obvious longer trend.
Any one noticed the same trend? Other trends this year? Please shre!
14.05.2011 - 10:17
Yasmine

Math metal has been around for a good long while.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
14.05.2011 - 15:25
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Yasmine on 14.05.2011 at 10:17

The bands which are a part of Djent, are new,
which are influenced by Meshuggah's style.
Would you care to elaborate you're point?
14.05.2011 - 15:43
IronAngel

Trends are rarely new, in any case. Rather they're something that's been established in smaller circles earlier but only recently broke through to hype consciousness.

I have to think about this, but I haven't followed the metal scene closely for a while.
14.05.2011 - 16:20
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I have noticed all those Meshuggah-isms and they seem to be a growing trend and a recent one. The fact that they have come to my attention, given I don't much care for Meshuggah, seems to me to be an indication of the growth of the trend.

Xerath is another one to mention.
14.05.2011 - 18:05
ANGEL REAPER

New trend will be the final death of traditional heavy metal that has been artificially kept alive in last one and half of decade....
Also the lot of softer/more commercial forms of metal that was made as a result of fusion between styles/genre will probably emerge as mainstream metal form
Probably death metal will exist only in melodic and brutal form ,and black metal will be soon become somewhat atmospheric thing....
I also see the upraise of folk/viking oriented bands and their fall ,just like we have survived the flood of nu stuff....
a lot of band will proclaim them self for alternative/progressive/post-something and will have some good songs here and there but will be boring and ultimately vanish from scene as usually ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
14.05.2011 - 18:26
Vikcen
Metálico
In the metal scene of the decade of 2000, I would highlight as something that has emerged more or less new or original, the style played for bands like: Children Of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Suidakra, Kalmah, Finntroll, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Bran Barr, Runic, Whispered, etc, this kind of Melodic Death Metal / "Viking Metal" / "Extreme Power Metal" / elements of Folk and Black Metal, definitely that type of metal that maybe started In Flames, but more enriched, much more, giving as a result this trend in the 2000s for these mentioned bands.
14.05.2011 - 18:41
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 14.05.2011 at 18:05

New trend will be the final death of traditional heavy metal that has been artificially kept alive in last one and half of decade....

Yes, i think the same, which is a shame, it makes me sad... but i hope that is not the trend finally.
14.05.2011 - 20:41
Yasmine

Written by Candlemass on 14.05.2011 at 15:25

Written by Yasmine on 14.05.2011 at 10:17

The bands which are a part of Djent, are new,
which are influenced by Meshuggah's style.
Would you care to elaborate you're point?

I already made the point as simple as possible. Angel, I disagree, it will only push traditional metal further underground. Which sucks.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
14.05.2011 - 22:27
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Traditional metal will never die. Also, there are a fair amount of modern dm bands playing old school style, so it's not dead at all.

I can see metalcore declining in the mainstream and deathcore increasing in popularity in the mainstream. All this djent stuff just seems to 'strange' to become fully mainstream. Maybe it will become big with hipsters, but it won't be melodic metalcore popular.

I'm also curious to see if any bands expand on Ulcerate's style of atmospheric death metal.
15.05.2011 - 02:51
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 14.05.2011 at 22:27

Traditional metal will never die. Also, there are a fair amount of modern dm bands playing old school style, so it's not dead at all.

Note: i understand by "dm" = Death Metal.

So you are speaking about "Traditional Metal" as Metal in general including any genre in its most traditional form, but i was refering only to the genre of Heavy Metal, and both, modern or the most traditional, currently i see the genre Heavy Metal unfashionable, apparently (seems).
15.05.2011 - 04:12
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Vikcen on 15.05.2011 at 02:51

So you are speaking about "Traditional Metal" as Metal in general including any genre in its most traditional form, but i was refering only to the genre of Heavy Metal, and both, modern or the most traditional, currently i see the genre Heavy Metal unfashionable, apparently (seems).

I use trad metal where most metalheads use the term heavy metal. And while trad metal(as most would say, heavy metal)is unfashionable in the mainstream, plenty of metalheads still listen to it.
15.05.2011 - 09:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Probably death metal will exist only in melodic and brutal form

seems like you have no idea of what's currently going on in the underground because there is a resurgence going on of normal death metal and brutal and melodic dm are out atm. In the underground old school dm is immensely on the rise. It won't be long before it breaks into the metal mainstream (more or less) again. The first sign is already there with Century Media releasing Sonne Adam's debut.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.05.2011 - 14:20
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 15.05.2011 at 04:12

Written by Vikcen on 15.05.2011 at 02:51

I use trad metal where most metalheads use the term heavy metal. And while trad metal(as most would say, heavy metal)

Then, why did you put the example of Death Metal? if you are speaking about Heavy Metal.
15.05.2011 - 14:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Vikcen on 15.05.2011 at 14:20

Then, why did you put the example of Death Metal? if you are speaking about Heavy Metal.

He's saying "traditional" or "old school" forms of metal, and in particular "traditional metal" (heavy metal), will never die. Genres like that do not cease to exist, they are simply expanded upon. The only trend that will take place, that has continued to take place since Black Sabbath released their debut, is the trend of evolution.

Metal will change as much as it stays the same.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.05.2011 - 14:38
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.05.2011 at 09:26

Probably death metal will exist only in melodic and brutal form

seems like you have no idea of what's currently going on in the underground because there is a resurgence going on of normal death metal and brutal and melodic dm are out atm. In the underground old school dm is immensely on the rise. It won't be long before it breaks into the metal mainstream (more or less) again. The first sign is already there with Century Media releasing Sonne Adam's debut.

well i am not that interested in dm or underground dm either so if you are more interested i will take your word.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.05.2011 - 14:53
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.05.2011 at 14:30

Written by Vikcen on 15.05.2011 at 14:20

He's saying "traditional" or "old school" forms of metal, and in particular "traditional metal" (heavy metal), will never die. Genres like that do not cease to exist, they are simply expanded upon. The only trend that will take place, that has continued to take place since Black Sabbath released their debut, is the trend of evolution.

Metal will change as much as it stays the same.

I understand, but i don't see it, if you use "Traditional Metal" grouping the genres (i mean traditional form of a genre in particular), well it is ok, but if you use "Heavy Metal" with the same meaning, in my opinion it is wrong said, but i know that the words "Heavy Metal" is used to refer simply to "Metal", and then it depends of the context, so the term "Heavy Metal" can be ambiguous.
15.05.2011 - 14:59
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Yasmine on 14.05.2011 at 20:41

Angel, I disagree, it will only push traditional metal further underground. Which sucks.

well it may exist in underground but it is a damn time to "somebody put the last nail into its coffin " as a mainstream form of metal,especially because there were no evolution in its form since....well .... 80's.
----
15.05.2011 - 15:03
ANGEL REAPER

Btw guys by term traditional metal i mean traditional heavy metal from the 80's....sorry if i was not clear on that....
----
15.05.2011 - 23:37
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by R'Vannith on 14.05.2011 at 16:20

I have noticed all those Meshuggah-isms and they seem to be a growing trend and a recent one. The fact that they have come to my attention, given I don't much care for Meshuggah, seems to me to be an indication of the growth of the trend.

Heard of Scamp? Groove+djent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=767Cz2n1G-o
15.05.2011 - 23:56
IronAngel

The first sign is already there with Century Media releasing Sonne Adam's debut.

Which is, by the way, an awesome album. I'm not usually into death metal, but I really liked it.

Seems there's a lot of "back to the roots" and retro trends going on in music at large, including metal. Lots of psychedelic stuff and stoner metal on the surface right now. At least in Finland, doom metal in general has had a lot of publicity and activity in the last year or two. There have been dozens of concerts, many of them actually sold out.
16.05.2011 - 00:05
Sammol

10 string-bass/Sweep-Picking Death Metal with Deathcore Vocals = TREND.
16.05.2011 - 00:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by IronAngel on 15.05.2011 at 23:56

The first sign is already there with Century Media releasing Sonne Adam's debut.

Which is, by the way, an awesome album. I'm not usually into death metal, but I really liked it.

Seems there's a lot of "back to the roots" and retro trends going on in music at large, including metal. Lots of psychedelic stuff and stoner metal on the surface right now. At least in Finland, doom metal in general has had a lot of publicity and activity in the last year or two. There have been dozens of concerts, many of them actually sold out.

yeah that Sonne Adam album is indeed awesome.

Like you say there's a lot of back to the roots and retro bands going on.

Concerning doom metal here... ony shit such as My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost sells out and generic poster boys Swallow The Sun comes near.
But when we have a festival consisting of Akem Manah, Faal, Hooded Priest, Spina Bifida (reunion gig after 18 years), Pantheist, Officium Triste, 40 Watt Sun such as last Saturday only 60 paying visitors show up (and of those quite a few were from abroad such as a couple of guys from Ophis and Mourning Beloveth) Doom is truly the single most underground metal subgenre here in The Netherlands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2011 - 03:37
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Candlemass on 15.05.2011 at 23:37

Written by R'Vannith on 14.05.2011 at 16:20

Heard of Scamp? Groove+djent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=767Cz2n1G-o

Hadn't heard of them actually. Definitely not to my liking I have to say, Xerath is the better djent band i've heard so far. Chimp Spanner is quite good too imo.