Metal Storm logo
List Of Essential Power Metal Albums

Original post

Posted by , 16.05.2011 - 02:27
I want to compile a list of the 100 most essential power metal albums (1 ALBUM PER BAND). I scavenged the internet looking for such a list, but I found nothing for power metal, only death and thrash essentials. PLEASE HELP!!!! Give me some suggestions, and I 'll make them into a list. I really want some alot of power metal to LISTEN to.
27.05.2011 - 05:07
GroundZero

Written by Metal_4Ever on 27.05.2011 at 04:58

I don't that is Kamelot's Album "The Forth Legacy" that much of brilliant...

Yeah, I was about to ask you whether you agree or not with my list!
27.05.2011 - 05:15
Metal_4Ever

Written by GroundZero on 27.05.2011 at 05:07

Written by Metal_4Ever on 27.05.2011 at 04:58

I don't that is Kamelot's Album "The Forth Legacy" that much of brilliant...

Yeah, I was about to ask you whether you agree or not with my list!

Funny..;D but that is just my opinion...
28.05.2011 - 02:20
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I think making a top list is hugely subjective to listeners individually. To put down a bands 'best' album is going to be hugely debated. Most people here have listed decent albums, but for bands like Blind Guardian - there is no choice as there are usually 3-4 albums most consider their best. In the end though i guess your list will still be cool.

I'll just add a few:
Edenbridge - Sunrise in Eden
Wuthering Heights - Far from the Maddening Crowd
Communic - Conspiracy in Mind
Dragonland - Holy War
Dungeon - A Rise to Power
Black Majesty - Sands of Time
Eyefear - The Unseen
Falconer - Chapters of a Vale Forlorn
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free
Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider
Jag Panzer - Thane to the Throne
Helstar - Distant Thunder
Kamelot - Karma
Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Persuader - Evolution Purgatory
Rhapsody - Legendary Tales
Sonata Arctica - Silence
Stratovarius - Visions
Symphony X - V
02.06.2011 - 06:23
Pazu

Hm, I'd say the only Power albums everyone needs to listen to are Helloween's 'Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1' and Blind Guardians 'Imaginations From the Other Side'. They pretty much define the genre in my opinion. Still my personal favorite is 'The Black Halo' from Kamelot, but I don't really consider it essential, since it is a very specific type of Power Metal. Maybe you could add Children of Bodom's 'Hatebreeder' to the list to represent Extreme Power as well, but then again I don't know whether I'd call Extreme Power essential, too. Now that I think about it, maybe Gamma Rays 'Somewhere Out in Space' would be a nice addition, since it's the pinnacle of cheesy european Power for me. And if we're that far already, we can go the extra mile and also represent Symphonic Power with 'Symphony of Enchanted Lands' by Rhapsody and 'Oceanborn' by Nightwish, wich is still pretty different from Rhapsody although being symphonic as well. To sum up my thoughts:

Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the other Side
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keyes Part 1
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Rhapsody of Fire - Symphony of Enchanted Lands
Maybe: Kamelot - The Black Halo
02.06.2011 - 17:04
Zombie94

I'd be interested in seeing the list on here when you've finished it so i could listen to some of those albums
02.06.2011 - 22:00
NyarlathoTim

Perhaps it would be better to start with a list of bands then narrow it down to albums.

Pretty much all of the albums people have listed are fantastic, but I wouldn't call most of them "essential."
----
Burning Shadows - US Power Metal
Recently Vacated Graves - Zombie Metal
Isenmor - Folk Metal
04.06.2011 - 09:42
JÄY
Metal slave
As far as US power goes, lets not forget Omen....weve got 3 incredible albums by those guys
04.06.2011 - 21:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Nobody mentioned Vicious Rumors?? For shame! "Digital Dictator" and "Welcome To The Ball" are must haves for any US power metal fan imo. The self titled is pretty great also, if sandwiched between 2 slightly greater albums. xD

"Night Of The Stormrider" and "Burnt Offerings" by Iced Earth are absolute classics as well.

These are also essential really:

Helloween: Walls Of Jericho, Keepers: 1 & 2
Gamma Ray: Somewhere Out In Space, No World Order, Land Of The Free
Blind Guardian: Imaginations From The Other Side, Tales From The Twilight World, Somewhere Far Beyond
Nightmare: Genetic Disorder
Angra: Holy Land, Temple Of Shadows
Freedom Call: Eternity, Legend Of The Shadowking
Edguy: Theater Of Salvation, Savage Poetry, Hellfire Club
Galneryus: Reincarnation
Rage: Black In Mind
Symphony X: The Odyssey, Paradise Lost, The Damnation Game

There's loads more, but thats it from me for now.
07.06.2011 - 05:40
bj_waters

Interesting. The list is vast so far and there's no mention of DragonForce at all. Curious. I know that DragonForce is very divisive (either you love it or you hate it) but they're the poster child of Power Metal for a reason, and I think that makes them pretty essential For my money, I think I'd put Sonic Firestorm over Inhuman Rampage.

Other than that, I generally agree. I'd probably go with Episode for Stratovarius, Ecliptica for Sonata Arctica, Once for Nightwish (I know, shut up), Karma for Kamelot, and Legacy of Kings for Hammerfall. For Helloween, it's tough to choose between Walls of Jericho and Master of the Rings and for Edguy, Theatre of Salvation or Mandrake. The whole idea of only one album per artist makes it tough when you want 100 albums (and essentially 100 different bands). I think if this ban was lifted we'd have a better list because I believe that after about 30 or 40 bands, it's kind of hit or miss (Metallium? Gaia Epicus? Thunderstone?). If we have to stick to the limitation, then perhaps a top 25 would be more realistic.
18.06.2011 - 05:28
Vacant Throne

Haven't seen these ones

Fifth Angel - Fifth Angel
Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory
Crimson Glory - Transcendence
19.06.2011 - 18:35
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by bj_waters on 07.06.2011 at 05:40

Interesting. The list is vast so far and there's no mention of DragonForce at all. Curious. I know that DragonForce is very divisive (either you love it or you hate it) but they're the poster child of Power Metal for a reason, and I think that makes them pretty essential For my money, I think I'd put Sonic Firestorm over Inhuman Rampage.

Other than that, I generally agree. I'd probably go with Episode for Stratovarius, Ecliptica for Sonata Arctica, Once for Nightwish (I know, shut up), Karma for Kamelot, and Legacy of Kings for Hammerfall. For Helloween, it's tough to choose between Walls of Jericho and Master of the Rings and for Edguy, Theatre of Salvation or Mandrake. The whole idea of only one album per artist makes it tough when you want 100 albums (and essentially 100 different bands). I think if this ban was lifted we'd have a better list because I believe that after about 30 or 40 bands, it's kind of hit or miss (Metallium? Gaia Epicus? Thunderstone?). If we have to stick to the limitation, then perhaps a top 25 would be more realistic.

What's wrong with Once?
20.06.2011 - 00:44
bj_waters

Written by Guest on 19.06.2011 at 18:35

What's wrong with Once?

Maybe this deserves some clarification. One of the first things I did when I came to Metal Storm was I read all the "Rules of Metal." When I recommended Once, I was thinking of one of those rules (specifically #58 of The Epic Sequel to the 101 Rules of Power Metal: "Oceanborn was so much better than Once"). I understand that those lists of rules are totally for laughs and entertainment, this rule (as well as other statements around the web) left me with the impression that Once wasn't the favorite of longtime Nightwish fans and was (arguably) their most commercial to that point. However, Once was one of the first metal albums I listened to and still consider it the iconic Symphonic Power Metal album (Rhapsody of Fire seems a little too over-the-top) which is why I recommended it. I added the aside to try and mitigate anyone who wouldn't want Once to be the representative album for Nightwish due to its more commercial style from previous albums. Perhaps I'm assuming too much and for that I apologize.
20.06.2011 - 01:12
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by bj_waters on 20.06.2011 at 00:44

What's wrong with Once?

Maybe this deserves some clarification. One of the first things I did when I came to Metal Storm was I read all the "Rules of Metal." When I recommended Once, I was thinking of one of those rules (specifically #58 of The Epic Sequel to the 101 Rules of Power Metal: "Oceanborn was so much better than Once"). I understand that those lists of rules are totally for laughs and entertainment, this rule (as well as other statements around the web) left me with the impression that Once wasn't the favorite of longtime Nightwish fans and was (arguably) their most commercial to that point. However, Once was one of the first metal albums I listened to and still consider it the iconic Symphonic Power Metal album (Rhapsody of Fire seems a little too over-the-top) which is why I recommended it. I added the aside to try and mitigate anyone who wouldn't want Once to be the representative album for Nightwish due to its more commercial style from previous albums. Perhaps I'm assuming too much and for that I apologize.

Thanks for making it clear.
20.06.2011 - 13:49
Daniell
_爱情_
Not a big fan of power metal right now, but I did dig the genre for many many years, so I can rememeber something I'm mostly skipping lots of great releases because they have already been mentioned. So here's what I think should be mentioned in such a thread:
Rage "Soundchaser"
Running Wild "Under Jolly Roger"
Demons & Wizards "Demons & Wizards "
Scanner "Hypertrace"
20.06.2011 - 18:30
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Dark Cornatus on 28.05.2011 at 02:20

Eyefear - The Unseen
I love that one! *thumbs up*
I think there are enough people mentioning Blind Guardian, Avantasia, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Stratovarious and Sonata Arctica (not that I am a huge fan).

Here are the select few that I keep turning to despite not really being into this sub-genre any more, starting from the more well known ones.

Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper
Nightwish - Once
Kamelot - Black Halo
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Helloween - The Dark Ride
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Tarot - Crows Fly Black
Eyefear - The Unseen
Beautiful Sin - The Unexpected
Keldian - Journey Of Souls
Karelia - Restless
----
loves 小巫
20.06.2011 - 18:35
Vacant Throne

I think Cage definitely needs some recognition here, I was blasting this one non-stop for months:

Cage - Astrology

Here's a preview:

21.06.2011 - 00:52
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by bj_waters on 20.06.2011 at 00:44

What's wrong with Once?

It's funny because Once is one of their greatest albums. I agree it is not better than Oceanborn, but i tihnk it deserves second or third. It's their heaviest album, and nearly all songs are good.
21.06.2011 - 00:58
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Angelic Storm on 04.06.2011 at 21:14

Nobody mentioned Vicious Rumors?? For shame! "Digital Dictator" and "Welcome To The Ball" are must haves for any US power metal fan imo. The self titled is pretty great also, if sandwiched between 2 slightly greater albums. xD

"Night Of The Stormrider" and "Burnt Offerings" by Iced Earth are absolute classics as well.

These are also essential really:

Helloween: Walls Of Jericho, Keepers: 1 & 2
Gamma Ray: Somewhere Out In Space, No World Order, Land Of The Free
Blind Guardian: Imaginations From The Other Side, Tales From The Twilight World, Somewhere Far Beyond
Nightmare: Genetic Disorder
Angra: Holy Land, Temple Of Shadows
Freedom Call: Eternity, Legend Of The Shadowking
Edguy: Theater Of Salvation, Savage Poetry, Hellfire Club
Galneryus: Reincarnation
Rage: Black In Mind
Symphony X: The Odyssey, Paradise Lost, The Damnation Game

There's loads more, but thats it from me for now.

I completely forgot about Edguy and Angra in my list, i agree with the albums you chose for those bands too.

I never liked Freedom Call though, so much of a Gamma Ray rip off for me (not the Gamma Ray ripped off other bands too lol).
Also Symphony X - Paradise Lost, it's just one of those albums i just could never get into. It has a decent rating on here and has a really strong song (Set The World on Fire), but i find it is weak besides that... i think it is just me on that one.

I'm not criticizing your list btw
29.06.2011 - 13:39
Aristarchos

Written by Guest on 16.05.2011 at 02:27

I want to compile a list of the 100 most essential power metal albums (1 ALBUM PER BAND). I scavenged the internet looking for such a list, but I found nothing for power metal, only death and thrash essentials. PLEASE HELP!!!! Give me some suggestions, and I 'll make them into a list. I really want some alot of power metal to LISTEN to.

Where do I find such a list for most important thrash and death metal?
29.06.2011 - 13:40
Aristarchos

Maybe the US bands like Savatage, Manowar and Fates Warning should be on the list too.
02.07.2011 - 23:00
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by Aristarchos on 29.06.2011 at 13:39

Death:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/roby72/100_essential_death_metal_albums
Thrash:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/roby72/100_essential_thrash_metal_albums
Good luck with these.
03.07.2011 - 10:41
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Guest on 02.07.2011 at 23:00

Death:
Thrash:
Good luck with these.

HOLY SHIT THOSE ARE GOOD!
03.07.2011 - 14:32
Grum

Well, everything I was considering has already been mentioned, haha...but i'll just back-up a few bands
Falconer - Falconer
Wuthering Heights - Salt/Far From the Madding Crowd
Running Wild - Black Hand Inn
Dragonforce - Valley of the Damned
Rhapsody of Fire - Symphony of Enchanted Lands/The Frozen Tears of Angels
Angra - Temple of Shadows
and...and...Powerglove
03.07.2011 - 15:03
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 03.07.2011 at 10:41

Written by Guest on 02.07.2011 at 23:00

Death:
Thrash:
Good luck with these.

HOLY SHIT THOSE ARE GOOD!

You like 'em? I'm currently working on collecting as much as possible from the death list.
03.07.2011 - 20:57
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Dark Cornatus on 28.05.2011 at 02:20

I think making a top list is hugely subjective to listeners individually. To put down a bands 'best' album is going to be hugely debated. Most people here have listed decent albums, but for bands like Blind Guardian - there is no choice as there are usually 3-4 albums most consider their best. In the end though i guess your list will still be cool.

I'll just add a few:
Edenbridge - Sunrise in Eden
Wuthering Heights - Far from the Maddening Crowd
Communic - Conspiracy in Mind
Dragonland - Holy War
Dungeon - A Rise to Power
Black Majesty - Sands of Time
Eyefear - The Unseen
Falconer - Chapters of a Vale Forlorn
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free
Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider
Jag Panzer - Thane to the Throne
Helstar - Distant Thunder
Kamelot - Karma
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Persuader - Evolution Purgatory
Rhapsody - Legendary Tales
Sonata Arctica - Silence
Stratovarius - Visions
Symphony X - V

I think sonata arctica "Ecliptica" is better than "Silence".

(Just my opinion!)
03.07.2011 - 21:00
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I absolutely say Sabaton "Primo Victoria". I know they sound more "Heavy" than "Power", but it's power anyway!

In my opinion, the album "Metalizer" is the album of the band with more "Power Metal Spirit"