04. We're Leaving Satan
05. Judgement Night
06. Light
07. Tales Of A Hero
08. My Heart Is Burning
09. Protectors Of The Sky
10. It's My Time
11. My Own Personal Hell

On the few occasions that I actually put a power metal album on, the first things I usually say to myself are, "Yeah, yeah. I get it. Those guitarists are skilled. They can sweep pick all fast like. I can't. Should I be curtsying for them or something? Do they want an award?"

Well, that isn't what I think when I listen to Twins Crew's Judgment Night. I think, "Shit. I believe I will curtsy for this." And that's because it's solid. And its Twins Crew's first full-length nonetheless, so a tip of the hat is in order for that too.

So that's a tip of the hat and a curtsy, if you're keeping track.

Twins Crew doesn't play pure power metal. I like that about them. Sure, there's enough melody to satisfy those gaahl derned power metal fans, but there's enough pounding to keep those with more extreme musical tastes interested as well. Take a slice of Iron Maiden, a slab of Nevermore, a little Mercyful Fate, and a fistful of Helloween. Proceed to blend this with, as the band's official biography says, Pantera. Not really early, spandex-wearing Pantera, but the Cowboys From Hell, Chunky McChunk Pantera. It might go unnoticed with a quick first listen, but the slight Dimebag influence it has adds a lot of attitude to an album that does, at times, get a bit too up its ass with being 'epic'.

But Judgment is still, first and foremost, a heavy/power metal album. Silliness is abundant in it. But if you really do care about that, you might want to find a new genre of music to follow. There'll be talk of hell, metal, and heroes. Like it or not.

But my biggest complaint about this album is that, after three or four spins, you'll likely be ready to move on. Probably won't come back either. That said, after putting it away, you'll almost certainly remember the name Twins Crew. I'm pretty excited to hear what they might do in the future.

Written on 17.05.2011 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 143 users
17.05.2011 - 13:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Quote:
A mix of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Helloween, but also bits of Hammerfall, Saxon, Grave Digger, Edguy, Manowar and even some Metallica should give you a very close idea what this band is about.

- Bas (on the Twin Demon EP)

Quote:
Take a slice of Iron Maiden, a slab of Nevermore, a little Mercyful Fate, and a fistful of Helloween. Proceed to blend this with, as the band's official biography says, Pantera.

Doesn't sound like they've grown at all.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.05.2011 - 14:06
wormdrink414
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2011 at 13:44

Quote:
A mix of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Helloween, but also bits of Hammerfall, Saxon, Grave Digger, Edguy, Manowar and even some Metallica should give you a very close idea what this band is about.

- Bas (on the Twin Demon EP)

Quote:
Take a slice of Iron Maiden, a slab of Nevermore, a little Mercyful Fate, and a fistful of Helloween. Proceed to blend this with, as the band's official biography says, Pantera.

Doesn't sound like they've grown at all.

Shit. That looks like plagiarism to me. Apologies to Bas.

But no, they haven't developed much. They might soon though. they have the skill.
22.05.2011 - 18:28
Bas
Retired Staff
elite
Written by wormdrink414 on 17.05.2011 at 14:06

Shit. That looks like plagiarism to me. Apologies to Bas.

Dude.
I think we have a problem here...

Jokes aside, I suppose this simply isn't the kind of music in which bands usually develope a lot. Sad but true. And if we independently reached the same conclusions that just further validates our proficiency as metal journalists, no?
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
22.05.2011 - 20:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Bas on 22.05.2011 at 18:28

And if we independently reached the same conclusions that just further validates our proficiency as metal journalists, no?

That, or it just further validates Twins Crew haven't grown at all.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 6722 | This month: 12