05. Swine
06. Chatter
07. Dragging My Casket
08. Hopenosis
09. Immortal Wounds
10. Behind The Mask
11. Inhuman Race
12. Omega Wave

It would be fair to say that, back in the day, under-appreciated thrash titans Forbidden were just victims of misfortune, releasing a masterful debut at a time when thrash was at the height of its popularity. It was sadly overlooked within the torrent of thrash acts that were around at the time. However, unlike most of these other bands who were totally generic, Forbidden were clearly a class above many of their fellow 2nd/3rd tier thrash acts. This fact was cemented with their brilliant (and more mature sounding) 2nd album, Twisted Into Form. Unfortunately, they then lost their talented drummer Paul Bostaph to Slayer, and then tried to move musically with the times, slowing down and modernizing for 1994's Distortion, and finally, producing a very misguided attempt at Machine Head worship, with 1997's Green. It wasn't the style of these albums that were the problem, it was their lack of quality. Perhaps not surprisingly, the band eventually folded, which at the time seemed like a merciful fate.

Fast forward to 2007 where, once again, there is a vibrant thrash scene and Forbidden decide to make a comeback. A comeback that resulted in this, their brand new studio album released in 2010. The big question was, could they really capture the spirit of their glory days again, in a manner that Exodus did in 2004, or Heathen, at the start of this year? Or would they fall flat on their face as Nuclear Assault did with their ill-fated comeback album? Happily, I am pleased to report that the band have returned to vintage form. And managing to do so while still clinging to a small amount of the modern influences they adopted for most of the 90's. The opening of the album is a clear indication of the band's 2010 mission statement. In a true old school style, matters proceed with a melodic, instrumental opener before tearing into the unbridled chaos of the 2nd track "Forsaken At The Gates." And in one fell swoop, the cobwebs from the last 18 years are blown apart as if they never existed! The track itself features the slightly obtuse carnage they unleashed on their 2nd album, and some great guitar work from founding member Craig Locicero, and new boy Steve Smyth. I am sad about the latter's exit from Nevermore, but their loss is Forbidden's gain, and the shredding on this album would certainly give Jeff Loomis a run for his money. I'm also going to add here that new drummer, Mike Hernandez, shows he is more than the equal of his awesome predecessor. Giving a massive performance behind the kit.

Elsewhere, they finally show the right way to do modern metal, with the pounding "Overthrown." This one features the first high notes from vocalist Russ Anderson, who is just mind-melting on this album. He has so many facets to his voice: harsh old school thrash vocals, a haunting and beautiful melodic voice, piercing falsettos, and he's now added some great death growls to the mix as well! He was always one of my favorite metal singers and he proves here he really is in the top-tier. He's even better now than he was 20 years ago, which really is an achievement.

In closing, it's fair to say that this album exceeded my expectations. And maybe now, finally, Forbidden will get the respect and dues that eluded them in the late 80's/early 90's. Its been a fantastic year for vintage thrash acts delivering the goods, and showing the young thrash upstarts how it really should be done. And the best compliment that I can possibly give Forbidden, is that their album is probably the finest of 2010's thrash lot. And definitely worthy of the cover artwork done by none other than the same guy who painted their first 2 covers. Welcome back guys!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Angelic Storm | 01.06.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 121 users
18.05.2011 - 11:14
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Yeah nice album actually..Definitely enjoyable....and nice review btw, exactly my thoughts on this album
18.05.2011 - 12:01
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Maxx666 on 18.05.2011 at 11:14

Yeah nice album actually..Definitely enjoyable....and nice review btw, exactly my thoughts on this album

Thanx. xD I thought the review might have been a bit long winded, and I'm surprised it's been published without being heavily edited. But it's been left as is, aside from minor punctuation edits. lol
18.05.2011 - 16:17
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.05.2011 at 12:01

Written by Maxx666 on 18.05.2011 at 11:14

Thanx. xD I thought the review might have been a bit long winded, and I'm surprised it's been published without being heavily edited. But it's been left as is, aside from minor punctuation edits. lol

As a matter of fact i find great interest in reading long detailed reviews, the kind you've written..It helps me to understand the music i'm listening to in-depth.....And i don't think there is any urgent need of editing it, there are only some minor mistakes which are overlooked by most readers.
01.06.2011 - 07:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Actually, and oddly, this review was still in the editing process, yet apparently somehow prematurely visible. we'll see about cleaning it up.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.06.2011 - 10:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BitterCOld on 01.06.2011 at 07:08

Actually, and oddly, this review was still in the editing process, yet apparently somehow prematurely visible. we'll see about cleaning it up.

When I first submitted the review, I was sent a PM from a moderator showing my review had been heavily edited, and saying if I didn't approve it, it wouldn't be published. I didnt approve the edited version, and therefore, the review was never published. What's happening now is baffling me.
01.06.2011 - 10:55
fabregassed
Account deleted
Sounds like a good album. Nice review.

I saw Forbidden live a few years ago, and Russ Anderson's voice was completely gone. But still, can't wait to see em at bloodstock this year.
01.06.2011 - 17:10
Rating: 7
Vikcen
Metálico
Nice review Angelic! But i had made a mention to Hopenosis, hehe i love this song.
01.06.2011 - 23:05
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Great Review for a great album.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
03.06.2011 - 01:01
Farzin paydar

Like it
15.06.2011 - 19:07
Rating: 8
The Galactician

Great review! They may not have gotten broad attention elsewhere but growing up in the Bay Area we sure paid attention there.
29.11.2012 - 23:53
John Shock

Love the review!

Hits total: 5982 | This month: 8