Found in 12 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 547 users
22.05.2011 - 16:57
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I really though this was going to be Epica with less female voices, but this turned out to be a nice piece of raw death metal

The orchestra and the clean voices are not overused, they appear just when the song is begging for them
23.05.2011 - 17:26
Rating: 9
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Surprisingly, not a copy of Epica, considering the band memebers. Melodic and yet more death than mentioned Epica. I expected good album, since I am a fan of Mark Jansen, but this is different enough to be considered quite good and different enough. As always not dissapointed with Jansen's work.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
17.06.2011 - 03:48
metaalerik

I'm really glad it indeed turned out to be a nice death metal oriented release with a lot of details. I'm not a big fan of operatic singing in general, so I'm glad they're not so prominent. But I have to admit, it does give something extra to the songs. Moreover, I think the various types of death growls also make this album more interesting.

It's a great album and it deserves some more attention. So why is this album not in the top of 2011?
11.07.2011 - 17:44
Megi

It seems to take a few listens to get into, but I'm liking it more and more each time. No doubt that Mark Jansen is a great musician
12.07.2011 - 05:15
Destructo

Written by Megi on 11.07.2011 at 17:44

It seems to take a few listens to get into, but I'm liking it more and more each time. No doubt that Mark Jansen is a great musician

Very true. At first listen, I was like - "What's so great about this ?"......with more listens, I'm actually starting to understand and appreciate this album.
24.07.2011 - 12:21
Rating: 6
beyondtehdarksun

This is some awesome stuff... I'd say they invented "symphonic death metal"
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
26.08.2011 - 22:09
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I accidentially came across this album after watching some youtube videos with Floor Jansen recording vocals for it.... And well, I'm quite surprised, I though it was gonna be Epica#2 minus femme vox and wasn't even trhilled about it, cause Epica just isn't my piece of cake.... But I am pleasantly surprised by this album, not bad at all, harsh and melodic, like the extreme vocals and of course, Floor's too She just sounds so awesome no matter in which genre of metal she is in.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.09.2011 - 20:39
Night Sight

It sounds like epica very much.and sometimes it is similar to dimmu borgir.
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
21.10.2011 - 04:25
Rating: 10
bloodysystem

This is what i waited for ! Epica with more grunts (don't get me wrong, i do like Simone's voice, but it has become a bigger part in Epica as back then). Then I heard "Drown the Demon" on an internet radio and i was like "can it be?" and yes it was her: Floor . Later on they sing together and before they even finished their duet the album was already in my virtual shopping cart

The narrators voice is a bit disturbing though (IMHO)
12.12.2011 - 19:10
StRicardo6

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNXH9OpeE48
I did this for all Mayan lovers(on PowerDirector 9) enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Riko
12.12.2011 - 19:11
StRicardo6

I realy love this band and album!!!!!!!
17.12.2011 - 20:53
Rating: 9
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Really good album, the only downside is that sounds like epica a bit without female vocals, and that it lacks one song to make it thru, a sort of hit single but as usual, quality stuff from Mark Jansen.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
15.01.2012 - 01:00
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by beyondtehdarksun on 24.07.2011 at 12:21

I'd say they invented "symphonic death metal"

Hum nope.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
15.01.2012 - 01:05
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Unhealer on 22.05.2011 at 16:57

I really though this was going to be Epica with less female voices.

Isn't it exactly what it is??? Veeery similar orchestration and the same kind of clean yet bombastic prod... It's like Mark took all the heaviest moments of Epica's discography and recycled them into this album. Not that it's a bad album, but the Epica factor is enormously obvious.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
15.01.2012 - 15:24
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by MétalNoir on 15.01.2012 at 01:05

Isn't it exactly what it is??? Veeery similar orchestration and the same kind of clean yet bombastic prod... It's like Mark took all the heaviest moments of Epica's discography and recycled them into this album. Not that it's a bad album, but the Epica factor is enormously obvious.

I think the Epica factor comes from the musicians rather than from the music itself... but yeah, it is present.
Of course it is going to sound similar coming from the same people, but I personally think 90% of Mayan's compositions wouldn't go with Epica. At least the Epica people are used to.
20.03.2012 - 06:52
Ap46

Agressive Masterpiece!
23.11.2012 - 22:14
xclaw

I liked everything except the spoken dialogue in the tracks near the end of the album. Otherwise a solid listen.
12.09.2013 - 11:41
Rating: 5
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by beyondtehdarksun on 24.07.2011 at 12:21

This is some awesome stuff... I'd say they invented "symphonic death metal"

Oh really? listen to Spetic Flesh
27.07.2014 - 19:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I'm assuming people are mentioning Epica because this is some side project from one or more band members, but I came here to see how JPT did.

Unfortunately not well enough to prevent this from being anything but unmemorable background music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.12.2016 - 19:07
Rating: 7
Reaper_Redeemer

This album had some good moments in my opinion. Tracks like:
01. Symphony Of Aggression
02. Mainstay Of Society - In The Eyes Of The Law: Corruption
04. Course Of Life
08. Drown The Demon
had well-composed elements, riffs, death metal passages, vocals were well performed and it was especially good when it switched to groovy.
But the rest of the album was unremarkable and I don't think Mayan have anything special to show in the future.

Hits total: 11672 | This month: 16