Metal Storm logo
Amon Amarth

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 23.05.2011 - 20:20
A brand-new, shiny and thoroughly exciting topic for Amon Amarth! The last question asked on the original topic was:

"So did anyone go to that night with Amon Amarth tour in the U.S. Was it boring? Good?"

Discuss!
25.10.2011 - 21:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by LichBorne on 25.10.2011 at 15:33
even the name of the band (Mount Doom) is took from Lord of the Rings. I think its a name for tower...

Burzum = lotrcore then?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.10.2011 - 11:14
LichBorne
Written by Risto on 25.10.2011 at 18:35

Guys, are Amon Amarth realy Death Metal? they are more singing about vikings, hystory warfare, mythology... then death.
even the name of the band (Mount Doom) is took from Lord of the Rings. I think its a name for tower...

They are melodic death metal. Lyrical themes have hardly any impact on how the genres are defined.

so, if I am playing power metal, and singing on ''whisper'' about satan and antichristianity, I am still a power metal singer?
you know what you should my friend? you should try listen some of this music and then bring us your opinion insteat of just reading whats on metalstorm... the thing ''edit band'' doesnt stand on every band profile just like that. it stands there if there is some mistake they made when they was making that profile.
anyway, I was just asking... I only have ''Twilight of the thunder god'' album ( and that is NOT a death metal! ) I also checked their earlier discography, their lyrics has hardly to do with death...
26.10.2011 - 12:49
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by LichBorne on 26.10.2011 at 11:14

They are melodic death metal. Lyrical themes have hardly any impact on how the genres are defined.

you know what you should my friend? you should try listen some of this music and then bring us your opinion insteat of just reading whats on metalstorm... the thing ''edit band'' doesnt stand on every band profile just like that. it stands there if there is some mistake they made when they was making that profile.

It's not a mistake, but a popular opinion and common consensus. Metal Archives and Wikipedia agree with this website. I've heard four of their albums and I agree with all three sources.

And just so you know, only staff can edit genres of bands.
26.10.2011 - 22:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
It's a pretty pointless argument trying to make the "Amon Amarth is a viking metal band" believe otherwise...

They refuse to understand that a genre isn't made up entirely of lyrical themes. Even if you present them with death metal bands that don't sing about death, black metal bands that...don't sing about blackness? Prog metal bands that don't sing about...being...progressive or something. Or thrash metal bands that don't sing about thrashing. (Okay the last one is a bad example.)

Amon Amarth? Melodic death metal with viking-themed lyrics. That's it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.10.2011 - 22:47
LichBorne
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.10.2011 at 22:11

It's a pretty pointless argument trying to make the "Amon Amarth is a viking metal band" believe otherwise...

They refuse to understand that a genre isn't made up entirely of lyrical themes. Even if you present them with death metal bands that don't sing about death, black metal bands that...don't sing about blackness? Prog metal bands that don't sing about...being...progressive or something. Or thrash metal bands that don't sing about thrashing. (Okay the last one is a bad example.)

Amon Amarth? Melodic death metal with viking-themed lyrics. That's it.

ok. Iooks like I still have to learn about metal...
in my way of thinking, the band can play pure thrash metal, with lyrics about satan, whisper on vocals and they are black metal...
so is the thing with death metal...
I realy didint know there was melodic death metal, or melodic black, gothic, doom... whatever.
to me there is classic heavy metal, thrash, power, black, death and symphonic...
all this other metal geanres i see here on metalstorm (avantgarde, stoner, teutonic, metalcore, nu, suomi, stoner, sludge...) I realy realy dont understand... I realy hope no one will offend becouse of this... this is just my opinion and my ''knowladge'' about metal...
26.10.2011 - 23:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by LichBorne on 26.10.2011 at 22:47

Definitely no offense taken.

In fact, if you want to brush up a little on metal history, try this.

There's some inaccuracies which is to be expected, but you'll get the general idea of how metal genres work with that chart.

Or you could try the Map of Metal.

Either way, by the end of that, you should be able to look at Amon Amarth as simply a melodic death metal band and not a viking metal band.
----
27.10.2011 - 00:02
IronAngel
I still think Amon Amarth is a viking metal band. Though definetely a melodic death metal band as well. The two aren't mutually exclusive. The last I checked, the vikings didn't play epic black metal with overblown synths or something, so the entire label is only sensible as a descriptor of lyrical content and image. Many "viking metal" bands certainly share some moods and vibes, but they can still be reduced to other genres - usually folk and black metal. I mean, if viking metal had defining musical characteristics, they would be from medieval Scandinavian folk music - therefore, the difference between so-called viking metal and simply Nordic folk metal without viking themes would be trivial. And on the other hand, you might have a French band musically derivative of Bathory who nonetheless sing about the problems of capitalism, sport dreadlocks and wear white shirts with ties - calling them viking metal would be comical.

Therefore, viking metal is to be understood primarily as having to do with lyrical content and band image, certainly often sharing some typical musical tendencies but ultimately being an additional descriptor, not something to replace the more fundamental genre label - such as melodic death metal, black metal, folk metal or epic doom metal.

It's not only the lyrical content, stage show and album art that are "vikingish" about Amon Amarth, by the way. Their anthemic sing-along choruses and simple, melodic and epic riffs are exactly the kind of "musical vibes" that often connect viking metal bands, though by no means define them.

All this said, when it comes to popular music I do acknowledge that genre labels are never a matter of purely musical, purely lyrical or purely historical connections. They are categories negotiated in the social space created by all these factors, and strictly seperating one or the other from the "real" definition is a pointless endeavor. The above should therefore be looked at as a matter of degrees and shades, not absolute qualitative differences.
27.10.2011 - 11:19
LichBorne
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.10.2011 at 23:03

Written by LichBorne on 26.10.2011 at 22:47

Definitely no offense taken.

In fact, if you want to brush up a little on metal history, try this.

There's some inaccuracies which is to be expected, but you'll get the general idea of how metal genres work with that chart.

Or you could try the Map of Metal.

Either way, by the end of that, you should be able to look at Amon Amarth as simply a melodic death metal band and not a viking metal band.

Lol, this is just too complicated for me xD
anyway, thanks a lot. cheers
28.10.2011 - 01:56
Savopipo
He's got a great throat though!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
28.10.2011 - 02:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Savopipo on 28.10.2011 at 01:56

That was a poor choice of words...
----
28.10.2011 - 12:46
RockeRoy
I thing the vikings did play heavy metal... with electric guitars:) Amon amarth would get their heads chopped of by the vikings
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
31.10.2011 - 08:38
Savopipo
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.10.2011 at 02:02

It's quite deep and everything!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
20.11.2011 - 11:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I attended their show last night here in Bucharest. I had already seen them live so everyone around me was much more stoked than I was. Support bands were:

- Septic Flesh, which thanks to the amazing skills of the organizers, I managed to miss almost entirely and the sound was quite bad, still a good show with lots of crowd participation. Definitely didn't cross out this band out of my "should see" list for the future.

- As I Lay Dying, which were great and extremely energetic. The guys started so quickly after SF that people were still sipping beer when they came on stage and the vocalist asked for a circle pit. In the end the audience got into it and got some moshing done (in my area of the crowd by some drunk hardcore dancing asshole) and even a wall of death. "The Anodyne Sea" was especially epic and awesome, as was "Through Struggle". The bassist provided clean vocals which were quite bad lol, some drunk dude shouted that they should mute his mic.

Amon Amarth was great, but I couldn't help but cringe at how much stuff from their new album they played, which sound quite bad live with the over-amplified double bass. The third song, namely "Destroyer of the Universe" was my mandatory bathroom-break. Lots of crowd participation, lots of headbanging and jumping around. "Ride for Vengeance" and "Embrace of the Endless Ocean" were especially epic moments which I didn't actually expect. Their show was a bit too short, only 16 songs.
06.12.2011 - 19:30
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I consider the early band work ( before "Versus The World" ) just good, nothing "great" like the new material. Maybe because of the vocals. Still, worth checking the debut.

EDIT: I loved the new album, "Surtur Rising".
06.12.2011 - 19:34
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.10.2011 at 02:02

Agreed....
26.04.2012 - 17:37
Written by LichBorne on 26.10.2011 at 11:14

Guys, are Amon Amarth realy Death Metal? they are more singing about vikings, hystory warfare, mythology... then death.

so, if I am playing power metal, and singing on ''whisper'' about satan and antichristianity, I am still a power metal singer?
anyway, I was just asking... I only have ''Twilight of the thunder god'' album ( and that is NOT a death metal! ) I also checked their earlier discography, their lyrics has hardly to do with death...

You think death metal's only lyrical theme is death ? So Death wasn't a DM band ? Anyway, AA are melodeath. Viking Metal is a subgenre of BM and Amon Amarth = Mount Doom, which is a mountain in lotr.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
26.04.2012 - 18:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Infernal Eternal on 26.04.2012 at 17:37
Viking Metal is a subgenre of BM and Amon Amarth = Mount Doom, which is a mountain in lotr.

Failing to see what your point is here.
----
26.04.2012 - 18:42
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 18:27

Written by Infernal Eternal on 26.04.2012 at 17:37
Viking Metal is a subgenre of BM and Amon Amarth = Mount Doom, which is a mountain in lotr.

Failing to see what your point is here.

Someone said Mount Doom is a tower. I thought he also said that AA are a viking metal ban.
----
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
26.04.2012 - 18:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Infernal Eternal on 26.04.2012 at 18:42
Someone said Mount Doom is a tower. I thought he also said that AA are a viking metal ban.

Oh, I thought you were trying to illustrate some point about AA being black metal simply because of their name.
----
26.04.2012 - 19:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 18:48

Written by Infernal Eternal on 26.04.2012 at 18:42

Oh, I thought you were trying to illustrate some point about AA being black metal simply because of their name.

That'd be almost as bad as me thinking Slayer was Blackened Thrash due to the pentagrams
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.06.2012 - 02:49
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 06.12.2011 at 19:30

I consider the early band work ( before "Versus The World" ) just good, nothing "great" like the new material. Maybe because of the vocals. Still, worth checking the debut.

I think that's because of the very raw production on their older albums.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
12.12.2013 - 23:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
When will new Amon Amarth video be out? I remeber band talk in august ''soon'' I ams till waiting
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.12.2013 - 23:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
When will new Amon Amarth video be out? I remeber band talk in august ''soon'' I ams till waiting
----

apos;'
[image]
13.12.2013 - 00:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]
21.01.2014 - 19:46
We need an Amon Amarth European Tour! I unfortunately missed them last year.
----
21.01.2014 - 19:46
Come on guys! Let's live it up on this thread for one more time!
----
05.12.2014 - 01:26
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Here's a pretty interesting article regarding Amon Amarth's frontman Johan Hegg's opinion on the tag "viking metal"
05.12.2014 - 01:37
Ilham
Giant robot
Maybe that will put an end to that stupid discussion everytime AA is mentioned.
05.12.2014 - 02:03
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by deadone on 05.12.2014 at 01:48

I just sold my copy of The Crusher for $2. I ripped the guy off.

Haha yeah that album's worth about $0.50 in my opinion. I used to actually enjoy this band, but now I can barely sit through an entire album of theirs...
05.12.2014 - 02:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 05.12.2014 at 02:03

their's.

We need to work on your possessives =P