Release date: December 2010

01. Held Hands
02. Enguelades
03. Missing Time
04. Truth
05. Maya Deren
06. New Bodily Functions
07. Tonality of Despair

You Are Loved by The Death Of Her Money is a bit of a frustrating listen. From a review standpoint, it reminded me a lot of one I did two years ago for Buried Inside's Spoils Of Failure. Both were post-metal. Both have some good music going on. And both have vocals that annoy me to seemingly no end.

So, yeah, as mentioned above, The Death Of Her Money are post-metal in the Cult of Isis vein. Musically the band shows some promise, despite some inconsistencies. They have a decent vibe. In tracks like the opening to "Enguelades" the guitar goes up the neck a bit and adds in a little wah while the bassist and drummer hold the groove. Later in the track, more of the same... the backbone of the band hold Fort Groove while the guitarist hops around on some effects pedals to a cool segue.

In "Truth" they manage to create a somewhat disconcerting edge, in which the vocal shouts don't do the song any damage, while the opening to "Maya Deren" almost feels a bit like 5ive... well, before the vocals.

The clean (and mercifully instrumental) "New Bodily Functions" is three minutes of really low key mellow, fairly stark music, a nice lead in to the slow, building riffing of album closer, "The Tonality Of Despair".

So while perhaps the music isn't original, and not everything is compelling, I've just listed off five tracks that all manage to intrigue this listener through slightly different approaches. To me, it shows some promise.

As for the vocals, I could pretty much end this review plagiarizing the last two paragraphs of my aforementioned Buried Inside. Blah blah harsh shouted/throated vocals that are perhaps a bit loud in the mix, thus burying cool stuff going in the background with something that chaps my ears like leather chaps chap my hide. Fortunately they are absent for huge stretches at a time in this album.

You Are Loved, you are liked. At least musically.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 25.05.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 134 users
25.05.2011 - 06:54
Fat & Sassy!

Nice closing line. ;3 Oh, and the album cover artwork is pretty neat too, I think. Just throwing that out there.
25.05.2011 - 07:11
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.05.2011 at 06:54

Nice closing line. ;3 Oh, and the album cover artwork is pretty neat too, I think. Just throwing that out there.

it is. one of the reasons this album was a bit disappointing, along with the band name. given the first cd's of the trove Solitude Productions sent me, i had high hopes for this one.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.05.2011 - 12:11
Pyramid God

Wow the vocals are terrible. The music isn't bad but its wholly unforgettable. I really don't get what they are going for with the vocals, very unfocused IMO.
25.05.2011 - 14:41
Edmund Fogg

Nice review. The cover could very well be a cover for a Dragon Age game.Really similar styles lol. Judging from the name and I artwork I would be expecting some mellow prog rock à la Tool. Thanks for keeping away from this release
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
01.06.2011 - 22:59
Saeed_p

Written by Edmund Fogg on 25.05.2011 at 14:41

Nice review. The cover could very well be a cover for a Dragon Age game.Really similar styles lol. Judging from the name and I artwork I would be expecting some mellow prog rock à la Tool. Thanks for keeping away from this release

lol dreagon age maybe for the third episode BIOWARE use it hahaha
25.02.2017 - 21:36
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
OMG, band is on here thanks to you. They just released a new album...it's fantastic. They also changed their band name. Can you fix that bud? I will have to check out this album. Great review, have a pos...
bandcamp
----
rekt

Hits total: 4914 | This month: 9