Metal Storm logo
Best post Ozzy Sabbath album.

Poll

What is your favorite Sabbath album without Ozzwald on vocals?

Heaven and Hell
The Mob Rules
Born Again
Headless Cross
Tyr
Dehumanizer
Cross Purposes
Eternal Idol
Forbidden

Total votes: 41
26.05.2011 - 05:33
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Simple enough, we have a poll for favorite Ozzy album so why not favorite post Ozzy album? Seventh Star is absent, as I didn't have space, but it was supposed to be a Tony Iommi solo album anyways, so it works out.

Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are often considered classic albums on par with the first 6 Ozzy albums. Born again is a very underrated album, and one of Sabbath's darkest, partially due to the strange production. Ian Gillian is a great singer also. The Tony Martin albums show a more melodic, keyboard influenced side of the band, but is still led by Tony's heavy riffs. Dehumanizer, Dio's return to Sabbath, is possibly the heaviest Sabbath release, and has one of Dio's harshest vocal performances. Cross Purposes continues the style of previous Tony Martin albums, and was the first Sabbath album I heard. Forbidden is often cited as the bands weakest release.
26.05.2011 - 12:29
Reza
Account deleted
Heaven and Hell for me. R.I.P Dio.
26.05.2011 - 15:41
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Heaven and Hell - great album!

BTW, the creator of the poll forgot the album with Glenn Hughes on vocals (Seventh Star).
26.05.2011 - 15:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't get why Heaven and Hell gets significantly more praise than Mob Rules, which I like better, and voted for. It has more of their traditional doom sound
26.05.2011 - 19:15
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.05.2011 at 15:41

BTW, the creator of the poll forgot the album with Glenn Hughes on vocals (Seventh Star).

If you read my post, you would have seen that I didn't have room for that album.
26.05.2011 - 19:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmmm its hard I never liked Ian Gillan, Tonny martin albuns there so much , once Richard told he would say Dehuminazer are best, but I somehow say its be Heaven n Hell, Maybe because I know those more, I dont wanna say others are bed to, but this is maybe better for me, its hard quasten , but no doubt Dio albums
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.05.2011 - 20:21
JD
Account deleted
Heaven and Hell
26.05.2011 - 20:35
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.05.2011 at 19:15

If you read my post, you would have seen that I didn't have room for that album.

sorry, my bad
27.05.2011 - 02:10
Ghostdancer

Heaven and Hell followed closely by Mob Rules.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
27.05.2011 - 11:20
Metal_4Ever

Cross Purposes is kickass
29.05.2011 - 05:47
Richard

Written by Bad English on 26.05.2011 at 19:47

Hmmm its hard I never liked Ian Gillan, Tonny martin albuns there so much , once Richard told he would say Dehuminazer are best, but I somehow say its be Heaven n Hell, Maybe because I know those more, I dont wanna say others are bed to, but this is maybe better for me, its hard quasten , but no doubt Dio albums

You have a good memory! I don't remember saying that on MS before but I must've done, as you're quite right, Dehumanizer is my favourite non-Ozzy Sabbath album. It has a fairly dark and doom-ish feel, and Dio's vocals seem a bit darker as well in their delivery. Certainly, the few Dio albums in general are the better non-Ozzy Sabbath albums - with Gillan, Tony Martin it's not the same.

Seventh Star was OK from what I remember.. I've got the CD but haven't listened to it for years. But it's just ridiculous that it says on the cover "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi", which makes it sound like Tony Iommi is a guest musician or something - but Tony Iommi was the only original member of Black Sabbath who played on that album, and has always been on Black Sabbath albums throughout their different incarnations...
----
29.05.2011 - 13:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 26.05.2011 at 15:54

I don't get why Heaven and Hell gets significantly more praise than Mob Rules, which I like better, and voted for. It has more of their traditional doom sound

Totally agreed. heaven & Hell is way too powerish imo and has quite a lot of boring moments, whereas Mob Rules is way more consistent and less powerish throughout
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.05.2011 - 13:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Seventh Star was actually nto meant to be released under the Black Sabbath name, but to to contract obligations it was. Like Void_Eater said it was supposed to be an Iommi solo album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.05.2011 - 14:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 29.05.2011 at 05:47

Written by Bad English on 26.05.2011 at 19:47

You have a good memory! I don't remember saying that on MS before but I must've done, as you're quite right, Dehumanizer is my favourite non-Ozzy Sabbath album. It has a fairly dark and doom-ish feel, and Dio's vocals seem a bit darker as well in their delivery. Certainly, the few Dio albums in general are the better non-Ozzy Sabbath albums - with Gillan, Tony Martin it's not the same.

Seventh Star was OK from what I remember.. I've got the CD but haven't listened to it for years. But it's just ridiculous that it says on the cover "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi", which makes it sound like Tony Iommi is a guest musician or something - but Tony Iommi was the only original member of Black Sabbath who played on that album, and has always been on Black Sabbath albums throughout their different incarnations...

I remeber you saying it somewhere maybe in OLD forum, Im not shore, and I never also liked after Dio in 80's I think I have those albums in tapes, coppie,s but I odnt know where and if I have I read about it after Mob Rules between Dehuminzarer they leither canceled all albums and wanted or did take out of stores but I cant find if its true, I read it in dial up days stt in 2000

Yes Dehuminzaer is closedt to arly BS how it can be IMO
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.05.2011 - 22:44
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.05.2011 at 13:26

Seventh Star was actually nto meant to be released under the Black Sabbath name, but to to contract obligations it was. Like Void_Eater said it was supposed to be an Iommi solo album.

I know the whole story (and the label calling the album Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi was ridiculous); my bad for not reading the creator's post carefully.
29.05.2011 - 22:50
Void_Eater
Account deleted
What a suprise, Heaven And Hell is winning I think H&H is somewhat overrated. Neon Nights, Die Young, COTS, and the title track are classics, but the other four songs are nothing special. Mob Rules is superior.

After a fair amount of thinking, I'll vote for TYR. I like the atmospheric style of all the Martin albums, but simply find this one to be the best. Cross Purposes and Mob Rules come close though, with Born Again trailing just behind those.

@JohnDoe, it's all good, this is an internet forum, most people don't read the post
21.07.2011 - 09:53
JCJen7

I voted Mob Rules. I mean, for me it is definately between Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules, as the other albums (imo) just don't stand up as absolute classics, even if they are pretty underrated. However, Heaven and Hell seems to really lack powerful riffs like most of the great Ozzy albums, and is really only saved by Dio's great vocals. Mob Rules on the other hand has a lot heavier guitar work, and is probably a top 3 Sabbath record for me (Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath being my other 2 favorites).
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
21.07.2011 - 13:19
listmor

I must be quite the unusual sabbath fan because depending on my frame of mind I often consider Born Again to be their best Album and usually in the top four. When i was a teen I rated it Number 1 for years.

Furthermore I have never really rated anything after it as being up to the standard of Born Again or the albums before it.
22.07.2011 - 08:16
Jirpo

Headless Cross followed by Heaven and Hell.
25.07.2011 - 09:17
ToMegaTherion

Got to be Heaven and Hell, it is my favourite Black Sabbath album. Dio is one of my favourite singers of all.
06.10.2012 - 06:49
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Mob Rules followed closely by Heaven and Hell.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.10.2012 - 13:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I love Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules, and also the first two albums with Tony Martin, also I feel Born Again is quite underrated. My fave post-Ozzy Sabbath album though, has to be Dehumanizer. It has to be in my top 10 most underrated albums of all time to be sure! It deserves the classic status afforded to the previous two Dio-Sabbath albums, though it is generally not as highly regarded. For me, it is actually slightly better than those two albums, and out of all the post-Ozzy albums, it's the one that comes closest to re-capturing the immense doom vibes of the best Ozzy Sabbath albums.