08. Shaping The Masterpiece
09. Dissimulation
10. Automatic Motion
11. The Omniscient (An Interlude)
12. Last Straw
13. Regenerate
14. XIV
15. Behold

If you strongly believe deathcore isn't worth a damn, well congratufuckinglations, you're officially a total tool who doesn't know what's good for him. Here's how the rest of the "I hate deathcore because I'm a wuss"-scenario plays out: soon you become the laughing stock of your friends (even the ones you made up), your loving mommy and daddy think you're a disgrace and kick your ass out of the house and eventually you end up being that weird guy in the subway who does headbanging tricks for a nickel. All this because you refused to listen to some hq deathcore shit... like Born Of Osiris' latest.

All exaggeration aside, the new Born Of Osiris album is probably the most forward-thinking deathcore album since, well, pretty much the dawn of fucking time. The Discovery is all things deathcore - i.e. mutilating br00tality - though served with a strong-tasting progressive and keyboard-driven sauce. The album shows a band giving in to their compulsive need to cram a fuckload of short-circuiting melodies in the listener's ears. The outcome is plain br00tal, be it in an intelligent way and without ever getting generic or repulsive. In fact, it's probably the tremendous amount of technicality and virtuosic skills along with the syncopated rhythms and uncountable progressive outbursts that are responsible for melting off your face. Either way, shit is tight.

A delightfully complicated and intense listening experience awaits you. Even if you were already familiar with the works of Born Of Osiris (brofist) this blistering album will still be an eye-opener. This six-piece band really stepped it up a couple of notches and made a huge improvement since 2009's slightly monotonous and rather cliché-ridden A Higher Place. God knows where they found it, but I'm really digging their new bag of devastating tricks.

In conclusion Born Of Osiris are hotter than a black leather couch in hell. You can either believe me or completely miss out on one of the best releases this year. Your choice, gay boys.

Written by Thryce | 30.05.2011

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 66   Visited by: 504 users
31.05.2011 - 22:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Thryce wins for referencing, then tubing Ken Jeong.

non-malfeasance, bitch!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.06.2011 - 01:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Thryce on 31.05.2011 at 22:23

So long, gay boys!

I actually read the ending of the review in that voice subconsciously and gave you a brofist for the sole purpose of making me do that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.06.2011 - 01:37
LuCaSs

This album change my 2011!! It's a fucking great album!!!
01.06.2011 - 02:20
ShakenBake

I know its the way its been done in the past, but in some cases its not the best way to do things by comparing previous albums to their new counterparts nor pigeonholing a band into a genre and therefore because theyve played whats considered a br00tal style this must be br00tal as well without deviation, especially when they could be in the transition of changing their sound.

If you take this album on it's own merits, its got a sound that is perhaps a bit different compared to most deathcore-type music while also introducing sampling and keyboards with a leaning towards a meshuggah-esque guitar sound in some tracks and odd-time signatures . Some may say that the guitars are bland and the drumming is bland, but not all metal is supposed to grab you by the throat with the riffage/solos, send you into heart-palpitations from blastbeats nor supposed to create epic soundscapes with the keyboards, it could have been a concerted effort to make the sound like that as this is the sound they were looking for.

As with all metal, its not for everyone (and that includes not being for every metal fan). Because the sound isn't to your tastes doesnt necessarily mean its a bad album/band, it's just not to your specific tastes, we're all different. This whole trend of discounting a band because 1, 3 or 100 people think it's crap or because it's music has been called -core in the past is stupid, espicially when you consider the fact that metal as whole, while popular, is no means mainstream and all our tastes as metal fans are just as diverse as each others.
01.06.2011 - 02:36
wormdrink414

@the complaints about vulgarity: It's the ol' Lee Ving approach. Call the audience gay and the meatheads will get riled up while the others appreciate the humor in it. Everyone leaves entertained.

So the complainers are either incapable of understanding humor, or they're just ashamed of being entertained. Either way, fuck em.
01.06.2011 - 03:08
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Written by The Voyager on 31.05.2011 at 03:53

In my honest opinion, this is really, really bland. Bland guitars, bland synths, bland vocals. Just bland. I know I'm in the minority here, but that's my stance on it.

Thats deathcore in a nut shell.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
01.06.2011 - 03:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by wormdrink414 on 01.06.2011 at 02:36

So the complainers are either incapable of understanding humor, or they're just ashamed of being entertained. Either way, fuck em.

Fuckin' a.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.06.2011 - 03:33
wormdrink414

Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.06.2011 at 03:22

Fuckin' a.

Idea for a band name: Fuckin' A-bbreviations...

... I need to sleep more...

Edit:
01.06.2011 - 07:05
BloodFireDeath

Written by NocturnalStalker on 31.05.2011 at 07:09

Written by The Voyager on 31.05.2011 at 03:53

In my honest opinion, this is really, really bland. Bland guitars, bland synths, bland vocals. Just bland. I know I'm in the minority here, but that's my stance on it.

Actually I second that.

I third that. This band is a bland butter sandwich
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
01.06.2011 - 12:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

...or don't have a single clue what's relevant in today's metal scene.

Even though this album and band may be relevant in today's metal scene that doesn't make it any less bland.
Hell, Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are relevant in the bigger music scene, but does theat make them any better?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.06.2011 - 13:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.06.2011 at 12:59

Even though this album and band may be relevant in today's metal scene that doesn't make it any less bland.
Hell, Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are relevant in the bigger music scene, but does theat make them any better?

You gave Unholy Sermon's debut 8,3.... I can't take seriously your views of what "bland" means.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.06.2011 - 13:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.06.2011 at 13:07

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.06.2011 at 12:59

You gave Unholy Sermon's debut 8,3.... I can't take seriously your views of what "bland" means.

That album at least has bite and is way better played. This one is like a toothless dalmation
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.06.2011 - 13:50
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Another staffers fight..woohoo
Anyway will check this one out. I remember their debut being quite decent, though it gets boring after a couple of listens
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
02.06.2011 - 00:04
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I read the first paragraph and stopped. Just because somebody doesn't like deathcore it automatically means that they're 'to pussified' and just trying to be cool? Goddamn sir, you are an idiot. Whatever, can't waste your time, you're probably preparing to 'fuck it up in da pit' with your friends at an Emmure show.

EDIT: And as far as these tr00 people that people are complaining about, I have never encountered one, in person or on the internet. They seem like something that core fans made up in an attempt to make everybody who dislikes their music seem like idiots.
02.06.2011 - 01:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 02.06.2011 at 00:04

And as far as these tr00 people that people are complaining about, I have never encountered one, in person or on the internet.

Aren't you the guy who was banned from Metal-Archives?
----
02.06.2011 - 02:18
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.06.2011 at 01:42

Written by Guest on 02.06.2011 at 00:04

And as far as these tr00 people that people are complaining about, I have never encountered one, in person or on the internet.

Aren't you the guy who was banned from Metal-Archives?

Yeah, and the steryotype of an MA users hating all things core because it's popular is false. There's a fair amount of core fans there, most people there really don't give two shits about it, and nobody there hates it just because it's popular. Actually, there was one person a year ago, but he got banned I'm pretty sure. And for what it's worth, I like Born of Osiris just fine. Nothing great, but as far as deathcore goes, it's pretty good.
02.06.2011 - 02:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If people don't want to accept that there's a hate culture surrounding -core bands then that's their ignorance. It's the done thing to shit on deathcore, it's patently fucking obvious that people's opinions are far more influential on these matters and as long as most webzine-lurking metallers hate deathcore people will continue to think that way without even realising it. On the internet ego is king.
02.06.2011 - 02:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 02.06.2011 at 02:31

If people don't want to accept that there's a hate culture surrounding -core bands then that's their ignorance. It's the done thing to shit on deathcore, it's patently fucking obvious that people's opinions are far more influential on these matters and as long as most webzine-lurking metallers hate deathcore people will continue to think that way without even realising it. On the internet ego is king.

This mini-rant herps my derp.
----
02.06.2011 - 03:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.06.2011 at 02:48

This mini-rant herps my derp.

Disgusting child.
02.06.2011 - 16:02
Rating: 9
Mikyz

Couldn't have said it better. It isn't limited to the internet though, society is driven by image, hating deathcore boosts these people's egos, on the internet or not. But there is some truth to it though most deathcore bands are beyond mediocre, this however is one of the exceptions, I've been listening to this non stop for a while, their debut wasn't impressive, but it was tolerable, The Discovery however is awesome.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
03.06.2011 - 00:09
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.05.2011 at 20:35

Written by MétalNoir on 31.05.2011 at 19:32

This band, along with All Shall Perish, is one of the very few deathcore acts worth listening. The review is pretty stupid though... If you lack vocabulary, try a dictionnary instead of replacing words with "fuck", "shit" or "gay"...

Somehow I don't understand why I'm trying to explain the obvious but I will anyway:

Most of Thryce's reviews are like this and I love them that way because they are trashy on purpose, completely over-the-top and mostly tongue-in-cheek. I can bet money he wrote "Gay" just to piss people off. Quite down-to-earth instead of the classic pretentious description of the music (like... a huge amount of reviews here and other music forums).

I understant but no, it's not "obvious" if you're not used to his reviews, eh...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
03.06.2011 - 00:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by MétalNoir on 03.06.2011 at 00:09

I understant but no, it's not "obvious" if you're not used to his reviews, eh...

Oh yes, we're on the internet, it's already obvious just by realizing that Words like gay or fuck are pretty much 100 times less impressive on the internet.
I'm seriously not trying to be a smartass here but I'm just astonished over the amount of people that commented on the review being offensive while the internet is sooooo much more offensive, the tv is more offensive.. Pfff even real life is more offensive XD. We've seen so many trolls here and many other reviews that are similar in nature without any comments, so why now?

I stand by what I said to some fellas a whie ago, if this wasn't a deathcore album no one would have cared about the language at all. Even the contrary...
Another one: This review > any other review that has an emotionless vibe to it. Reviews are just opinion, if they are just informative... they are so meh they shouldn't really be featured sometimes Like soneone said before... even if it sounds cheesy: it's all about passion.
Meh, that's all there is to this discussion, cheers.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.06.2011 - 01:57
Oriax

Written by Tetravirulence on 31.05.2011 at 15:02

All I understand from the review is that its a death- core band

Yeah me too. Maybe if one listens to deathcore regularly this is the way you start to think...
03.06.2011 - 04:46
Ultraussie

Metalcore is basically Hardcore music with distortion, so whats the deal with Deathcore?
I have a problem listening to straight up Death Metal, it has to be either Technical or Melodic.
I hate Hardcore music. I hate Metalcore music....
So whats the dealio with BOO?
03.06.2011 - 11:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ultraussie on 03.06.2011 at 04:46

Metalcore is basically Hardcore music with distortion, so whats the deal with Deathcore?
I have a problem listening to straight up Death Metal, it has to be either Technical or Melodic.
I hate Hardcore music. I hate Metalcore music....
So whats the dealio with BOO?

I'm pretty confused here, you say you hate metalcore music and Trivium is one of your favorite bands.
BoO is basically progressive music, pretty neat stuff imo. If you can handle some synth based music with a lot of progressive stuff and growls and clean vocals... then check their myspace or something, it won't hurt.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.06.2011 - 16:21
Rating: 6
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Progressive Deathcore? Sounds like an oxymoron to me, then again I know next to nothing about this type of music, will give this one a go.

Also who cares about the way the review is written, it clearly serves it's purpose...
03.06.2011 - 20:11
DahliaRock

Gay

offended? I lackz vocab? rock on!
03.06.2011 - 20:14
Paradox Lover
Account deleted
I'll check this out, although you seem to be exaggerating ... or the "shit" is really worthy? Will see/ listen to it now
04.06.2011 - 01:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by R'Vannith on 03.06.2011 at 16:21

Progressive Deathcore? Sounds like an oxymoron to me

That's what I thought too. We'll see I suppose...
----
04.06.2011 - 01:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.06.2011 at 01:29

That's what I thought too. We'll see I suppose...

I dunno, there are bands like Ion Dissonance and protest The Hero being around for a while now
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 12378 | This month: 7