16. Snow Bound [Acoustic version] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Kovered In Khaos] [Deluxe/Limited edition bonus]
01. Warning [Discharge cover]
02. Wings Of Tomorrow [Europe cover]
03. The Oath [Kiss cover]
04. The Book Of Heavy Metal [Dream Evil cover]

An open letter to Arch Enemy.

Dear Arch Enemy,

Back where I come from we have this saying; "You can only hate Arch Enemy, if you hate having fun". So obviously I was pretty excited when I heard you were releasing your first studio effort in over six years (unless you want to count the utter abomination that was
Rise Of The Tyrant, which I kind of don't). After a couple of spins though, my excitement gradually turned into concern. Which is why I'm stepping up to lend a helping hand (which I assume was your intent, 'cause I'm just that modest).

Truth be told, I wasn't expecting something cutting-edge in the first place. I mean, you have always been as innovative as this site is called Polka Storm. But
Khaos Legions is just, well, embarrassingly stale. Where did the rebellious character go? Why is it that anything that slightly resembles adventure gets consistently avoided? Is it because some bottled up emotions hinder you from reaching your potential? Why do you keep on recycling all your pet ideas over and over again? Is it a subliminal message to your fans to become more environmentally conscious? So many questions.

Hate to break it to you but everything about the album screams "uninspired". I couldn't even headbang properly because there are just too many downtempo parts... go figure, metal with no headbanging! Are you aware that your songs are so sugary one can scrape cotton candy right off those riffs? Why did you go for the "throw-a-handful-of-shit-to-a-wall-and-see-what-sticks" songwriting formula? You know you can do better than that (remember the "garage days" in that Carcass-band?). Are you suffering from a burn-out? Are you getting old? Am I getting old? Everyone born after 1992 seems to adore you to the point of worship. What's their secret?

And then there are those "plastic" vocals. What's up with that, girl? The bloodthirsty screams with the characteristic throaty rawness made me once believe you had twice the balls most death metal singers could only dream of having. Are you happy with the mainstream finesse that comes with over-polished vocals? Are you?

Maybe you feel like there's no need to take any risks since everything you touch turns instantly into gold. But let me tell you something, your music spawned literally countless of melodic death metal-inspired metalcore offspring that copy Arch Enemy and At The Gates riffs like they're on sale at the 99cent store. Lettuce be serious, this has been done better myriad times before. Look at you, you're losing your mojo! You're back to square one: store-brand Gothenburg metal.

Brutal truth:
Khaos Legions is but a pale shadow of what once was. So for goodness' sake, get your shit together already. Take care of yourself, okay?

Big smooch,
Thryce

Written by Thryce | 02.06.2011

Comments

Comments: 67   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 902 users
02.06.2011 - 12:47
Edmund Fogg
Haha great review. Reflects my feeling about the album and what the band has become.I hate to admit it because Arch Enemy is what got me in the more agressive side of metal, but it seems like they stuck with the same themes. I guess they could say: "That's what I like about my fans, I keep getting old and they stay the same age. Yes they do, yes they do!"
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
02.06.2011 - 13:03
Sasha Batrakov
Account deleted
Completely agree
02.06.2011 - 13:56
Rating: 5
Marios P
+1
02.06.2011 - 14:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Lulz, it's funny coz it's true.
02.06.2011 - 14:37
Rating: 6
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Sadly, I agree. They really need to fix it, because it's obviously broken.

It's everything we have heard before, over and over again. And it's true, there are so many downtempo parts that is hard to find something actually heavy and headbangable in there.

So uninteresting. List of disappointments of the year starts now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.06.2011 - 16:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
One of 2011's worst, by far.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.06.2011 - 18:32
Rating: 7
Dani5050
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.06.2011 at 16:22

One of 2011's worst, by far.

I kind of agreed with the review, the album is forgettable, but Troy the worst album of 2011 is Morbid Angel's Illud Divinum Insanus
02.06.2011 - 18:38
MechanisT
Account deleted
I commend you on your ingenious review. Agree with everything that has been said here.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.06.2011 at 16:22

One of 2011's worst.

I concur.
02.06.2011 - 18:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Dani5050 on 02.06.2011 at 18:32

I kind of agreed with the review, the album is forgettable, but Troy the worst album of 2011 is Morbid Angel's Illud Divinum Insanus

If you check my list you'll notice I have yet to listen to that. (And I still think Devildriver's "Beast" is the worst I've heard thus far.)
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.06.2011 - 18:44
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Edmund Fogg on 02.06.2011 at 12:47

Haha great review. Reflects my feeling about the album and what the band has become.I hate to admit it because Arch Enemy is what got me in the more agressive side of metal, but it seems like they stuck with the same themes. I guess they could say: "That's what I like about my fans, I keep getting old and they stay the same age. Yes they do, yes they do!"

I feel the same exact way about the band and their influence on me. I was kind of disturbed how they kept on borrowing very similar riffs, solos, intros and even ideas from older albums. The only two songs which did it for me (unless you include the cover bonus album, which is actually pretty good) were "Under Black Flags we March" and "Thorns in my Flesh". Sure flags sounds like the riff from "My Apocalypse" but the crushing riffs really work in these songs and made me wish they went in this direction. Sure its not classic Arch Enemy and from a creative aspect may be a step backwards but these two were actually pretty good.
02.06.2011 - 18:51
Tetravirulence
Great innovation and great review, this review worth more than the album!
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
02.06.2011 - 19:08
Cathval
You what the funny part about this review is? I share the exact same sentiments with "Wages of Sin" and everything afterwards. The second Angela jumped on the bandwagon they became a less interesting band.

Not a single song from any album after the departure of Johan Liiva can top Silverwing. Their best years are far behind them, if they even had "best years" to say the least. Yeah, Ravenous, Enemy Within, We Will Rise, etc...are cool anthems...but I feel as if I've outgrown Arch Enemy and their tired themes.

Overall, the band itself needs to completely remake themselves if they want to survive. But on another note, because of "surface level" of their sound they can infinitely tour with Slayer, Hatebreed, etc, etc. They've reached that level of being a commercial metal band that it no longer matters whether or not they have any creative output left. They'll be successful either way, sadly...
02.06.2011 - 19:10
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Pffhahaha! *Lettuce* give Thryce a big ol' pat on the back for a good review.

(the punz. I appreciate dem)
02.06.2011 - 19:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cathval on 02.06.2011 at 19:08

You what the funny part about this review is? I share the exact same sentiments with "Wages of Sin" and everything afterwards. The second Angela jumped on the bandwagon they became a less interesting band.

Not a single song from any album after the departure of Johan Liiva can top Silverwing. Their best years are far behind them, if they even had "best years" to say the least. Yeah, Ravenous, Enemy Within, We Will Rise, etc...are cool anthems...but I feel as if I've outgrown Arch Enemy and their tired themes.

Overall, the band itself needs to completely remake themselves if they want to survive. But on another note, because of "surface level" of their sound they can infinitely tour with Slayer, Hatebreed, etc, etc. They've reached that level of being a commercial metal band that it no longer matters whether or not they have any creative output left. They'll be successful either way, sadly...

Angela's era was a different style though, Liiva's was much more melodeath, in the sense it was death metal with melodic choruses etc. I think the first couple of Gossow records were great and Doomsday, while being on a downward spiral, had some worthy moments too.
02.06.2011 - 19:28
demonseed
What a waste of a good review..
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
02.06.2011 - 19:48
Rating: 8
neonxaos
Oh dear. I can't stand anything from the Liiva period, and I honestly think this is their best-sounding album to date, although I prefer Doomsday Machine. I have no idea what this review is talking about, but I guess that's the beauty of people being different. Metal is many things.
02.06.2011 - 19:49
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Great review, Thryce!
Written by demonseed on 02.06.2011 at 19:28

What a waste of a good review..

You'd be surprised about how much a bad album can be inspiring!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.06.2011 - 20:01
malaikat
Thryce, you awesome son of a bitch you.
02.06.2011 - 20:24
musicalkaratekid
Great review, and i have to agree that arch enemy have lost their edge,as well as their originality, over the previous decade. But my opinion will always be that they couldn't have got any better than their first three albums-excellent band in Johan liiva era. Dont get me wrong, angela gossow gave as good as she got, and doomasday machine and anthems of rebellion are great albums to be honest. But i feel the band wrote more creatively pre-2000. But thats just me.
02.06.2011 - 20:30
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by musicalkaratekid on 02.06.2011 at 20:24

Great review, and i have to agree that arch enemy have lost their edge,as well as their originality, over the previous decade. But my opinion will always be that they couldn't have got any better than their first three albums-excellent band in Johan liiva era. Dont get me wrong, angela gossow gave as good as she got, and doomasday machine and anthems of rebellion are great albums to be honest. But i feel the band wrote more creatively pre-2000. But thats just me.

I am with you on this one.
02.06.2011 - 20:36
To be Honest i lost all interest in this band since doomsday machine, and im more of an early fan of stigmata and burning bridges, so i like the last Hearse even more than this latter Arch enemy albums.
And Great Review, really enjoyed reading this
02.06.2011 - 20:41
Rating: 7
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
It's definitely their weakest with angela...
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
02.06.2011 - 20:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I have not listened to the album yet, but that's what I expected. Now I will stay from it for some time... There is the new Unexpect waiting to be savored.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
02.06.2011 - 22:27
Rating: 3
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
I think the album is decent.
Sure its not anything too new, creeative or exciting which would have been nice. but i think itsa solid release nonetheless.

The only thing that im disapointed with is Angelas vocals are not nearly as powerful as previous albums, but that can be expected from screamers a few albums deep.

Otherwise i really enjoy the album.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
02.06.2011 - 22:38
Siegreicher
Rise of the Tyrant is AE at their best in my opinion
02.06.2011 - 22:58
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Khaos Legions is as cheesy as it gets.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
02.06.2011 - 23:52
MyNameJeff
Absolutely true, khaos legions sucks.
03.06.2011 - 00:12
Urizen367
Best review ever.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
03.06.2011 - 00:52
Ultraussie
And this is a reasonably popular band, so allot of those sucessfull bands once they have done all their hard work, and released all the good albums, are only in it for the Fun of it, or the Money and Profiteering. Then the Music becomes bullshit, because the band is not doing it FOR THE MUSIC.
They're either slacking off smoking pot, knowing loyal fans will buy the album even if it was called "1 and a half hours of me farting while I tune a banjo", or they're making commericialized mainstream mass produced bull...
03.06.2011 - 02:26
bluegreengod
Account deleted
I thought Rise of the Tyrant was their best album other than Wages of Sin (masterpiece). Judging by this review, KL might just be worth getting after all. I forgot this CD was even coming out.

Hits total: 15405 | This month: 16