16. Snow Bound [Acoustic version] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Kovered In Khaos] [Deluxe/Limited edition bonus]
01. Warning [Discharge cover]
02. Wings Of Tomorrow [Europe cover]
03. The Oath [Kiss cover]
04. The Book Of Heavy Metal [Dream Evil cover]

An open letter to Arch Enemy.

Dear Arch Enemy,

Back where I come from we have this saying; "You can only hate Arch Enemy, if you hate having fun". So obviously I was pretty excited when I heard you were releasing your first studio effort in over six years (unless you want to count the utter abomination that was
Rise Of The Tyrant, which I kind of don't). After a couple of spins though, my excitement gradually turned into concern. Which is why I'm stepping up to lend a helping hand (which I assume was your intent, 'cause I'm just that modest).

Truth be told, I wasn't expecting something cutting-edge in the first place. I mean, you have always been as innovative as this site is called Polka Storm. But
Khaos Legions is just, well, embarrassingly stale. Where did the rebellious character go? Why is it that anything that slightly resembles adventure gets consistently avoided? Is it because some bottled up emotions hinder you from reaching your potential? Why do you keep on recycling all your pet ideas over and over again? Is it a subliminal message to your fans to become more environmentally conscious? So many questions.

Hate to break it to you but everything about the album screams "uninspired". I couldn't even headbang properly because there are just too many downtempo parts... go figure, metal with no headbanging! Are you aware that your songs are so sugary one can scrape cotton candy right off those riffs? Why did you go for the "throw-a-handful-of-shit-to-a-wall-and-see-what-sticks" songwriting formula? You know you can do better than that (remember the "garage days" in that Carcass-band?). Are you suffering from a burn-out? Are you getting old? Am I getting old? Everyone born after 1992 seems to adore you to the point of worship. What's their secret?

And then there are those "plastic" vocals. What's up with that, girl? The bloodthirsty screams with the characteristic throaty rawness made me once believe you had twice the balls most death metal singers could only dream of having. Are you happy with the mainstream finesse that comes with over-polished vocals? Are you?

Maybe you feel like there's no need to take any risks since everything you touch turns instantly into gold. But let me tell you something, your music spawned literally countless of melodic death metal-inspired metalcore offspring that copy Arch Enemy and At The Gates riffs like they're on sale at the 99cent store. Lettuce be serious, this has been done better myriad times before. Look at you, you're losing your mojo! You're back to square one: store-brand Gothenburg metal.

Brutal truth:
Khaos Legions is but a pale shadow of what once was. So for goodness' sake, get your shit together already. Take care of yourself, okay?

Big smooch,
Thryce

Written by Thryce | 02.06.2011

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 67   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 902 users
03.06.2011 - 03:25
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi
Congratulations on a marvelous review, you should send it to the band. I actually liked parts of Rise of the Tyrant, so maybe their something in this for me, but you didn't exactly get my hopes up.
03.06.2011 - 03:37
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I haven't heard this album yet, and reading this makes me feel it doesn't matter if I do or not.

Really nice review man. Cheers.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
03.06.2011 - 05:38
Morgion
Excellente review Thryce,

Honest, ruthless, kindness sarcasm for an old shit formula, for all those who have not heard this album yet, I can tell you that it is not a masterpiece, please continue with your life, life goes on and better albums will come out soon.
03.06.2011 - 05:55
I agree with Cathval. Arch Enemy has been utter shit without Liiva. In fact, the albums with Liiva I regard as the greatest melodic death metal albums in existence. Then Gossow ruined it all. Unfortunately, though...Liiva was not completely responsible for all of the band's greatness, as it is evident (in my opinion) that none of his other projects compare to Arch Enemy when he was in it. The sad truth is that Arch Enemy is nothing without Liiva, and Liiva is not nearly as good without Arch Enemy (although all of his side projects are leagues better than anything with Gossow).

Plus Gossow just gives me the creeps. Makes my willy shrivel up and hide.
03.06.2011 - 06:07
Rating: 6
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Great Album! I like the Riffs pretty much different from what Arch's other album has!!

\m/
03.06.2011 - 09:42
Rating: 8
Cyroth
I can agree with the review, still I do like this album.
----
03.06.2011 - 09:55
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Edited comment: Agree with the review but the album is not bad at all. The best art comes from demons, they say, so maybe Arch Enemy as a big happy family doesn't work musically.
----
7.0 means the album is good
03.06.2011 - 15:36
Lachy
Account deleted
I like the album, its not ground breaking or anything, basically exactly the same as the last album. The guitar playing is excellent but that's Michael and Chris for you, but some of the songs were quite bland. With 18 tracks there had be a few that i liked XD
03.06.2011 - 16:06
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi
You were right, this was a really weak effort. Just listen to City of the Dead. Excellent example of how to ruin a song that seemed promising.
03.06.2011 - 16:51
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I like a lot the style of this review! good work! bad album...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
03.06.2011 - 18:50
Rating: 5
Nihillus
I agree is't a little bit recycled... but I still really like this album
04.06.2011 - 00:37
Rating: 9
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Nihillus on 03.06.2011 at 18:50

I agree is't a little bit recycled... but I still really like this album

Same, I still liked it.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
04.06.2011 - 15:43
Zeh
Sounds like they have the same problem as In Flames has. Not the alcohol addiction, I mean lack of inspiration, originality and mainstreamness.
----
Zeh
04.06.2011 - 16:44
Libishomen
True, true....I miss the Black Earth era:(
04.06.2011 - 17:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Zeh on 04.06.2011 at 15:43

Sounds like they have the same problem as In Flames has. Not the alcohol addiction, I mean lack of inspiration, originality and mainstreamness.

...and probably alcohol addiction.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.06.2011 - 19:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.06.2011 at 17:20

maybe they should try heroin. megadave put out his best work when loaded.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.06.2011 - 06:51
Pyramid God
Written by BitterCOld on 04.06.2011 at 19:31

maybe they should try heroin. megadave put out his best work when loaded.

Not that I'm a fan, but good ol' Keef Richards did too. Perhaps heroin is creativity in a convenient brown solution.
06.06.2011 - 16:26
immortal78
Hey with all the respect but I don't think that "Khaos Legions" deserves for less than 8.5.:banger: Most people believe that "KL" is to melodic. Is it bad ? Don't think so, but now they have the most melodic LP in their discography. Awsome job !!
07.06.2011 - 00:52
imdaemon666
Great album! One of their best . It reminds me of Wages of Sin and Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction. I'm not sure what people who are hating on this mean or what they expect. In Flames changes too much, Arch Enemy doesn't change. damned if you do damned if you don't. Grow up, people. Or you can always listen to techno music if you don't like metal. I recommend the new "Morbid Angel" album for a essential techno, non-metal release. I will be buying Khaos the first day it comes out, these guys have yet to disappoint.
07.06.2011 - 01:03
Rating: 4
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Actually I interviewed Michael Amott last year and he seemed to put an emphasis on the care he takes with what he puts into his body...Maybe he should get hooked on something?

Hard to say whether I should disregard this review or not. It seems like everyone agrees with it, yet he also bashes Rise Of The Tyrant, which I found to be their best work...Conundrum. I'll probably get off my ass and listen to it in like 5 months or something.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.06.2011 - 01:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 07.06.2011 at 01:03

Hard to say whether I should disregard this review or not. It seems like everyone agrees with it, yet he also bashes Rise Of The Tyrant, which I found to be their best work...

I think Rise is slightly better than this (which isn't saying much for me), but if you liked it you'll probably end up giving this a 7 or so.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.06.2011 - 01:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I found this as saccharine and forgettable as Rise, probably slightly more so actually. If I was just getting in melodeath and the like this would probably be a great album to listen to.
07.06.2011 - 21:38
neonxaos

Actually I interviewed Michael Amott last year and he seemed to put an emphasis on the care he takes with what he puts into his body...Maybe he should get hooked on something?

Hard to say whether I should disregard this review or not. It seems like everyone agrees with it, yet he also bashes Rise Of The Tyrant, which I found to be their best work...Conundrum. I'll probably get off my ass and listen to it in like 5 months or something.

Believe me, I could not agree less with this review, but to each his own. I loved Doomsday Machine to bits, and although I find KL to be a less impressive effort, I like it slightly better than Rise. Yeah, it's melodic and even catchy, but that's what I like in my Gothenburg metal, thank you very much I do feel they could have gone further with the material and churned out some more solos and melodic passages that didn't sound THAT similar to the earlier stuff. And I think that although I like the sound of Angela's voice now (I don't understand the "plastic vocals" thing at all), she could really come a long way by trying out some new rhytms and doing some more adventurous stuff - hell, maybe even some clean singing.

Having said that, the album also contains some truy glorious moments and some earth-shattering riffs. It is just a whole lot of fun for me, and I genuinely like it.
13.06.2011 - 01:52
I really like Arch Enemy, but i can say i don't care if they release another studio album. Rise of the Tyrant had its moments, Really great riffs, but with that said, I cant remember a damn thing about it in particular. They've become very stale indeed. They got plenty of good material from years past, so ill just stick to Anthems of Rebellion and Burning Bridges.
15.06.2011 - 15:42
Night Sight
Arch enemy is my favorite band
but this time their new album is really awful
the best albums by arch enemy that was Rise of the Tyrant and Domsday Machine in my opiniion
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
05.07.2011 - 23:12
Spanishkiller
They are definately not as inspired as when they released Bruning Bridges or Wages of Sin.
19.11.2011 - 06:24
sepulkisser
This album is AWESOME... I give a big 10!!!

Like any album that recorded Michael Ammott!!
27.04.2012 - 04:53
Rating: 3
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor

Hard to say whether I should disregard this review or not. It seems like everyone agrees with it, yet he also bashes Rise Of The Tyrant, which I found to be their best work...Conundrum.

Rise of the Tyrant is one of my favorite worx by AE as well but I also find this album terrible.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
27.04.2012 - 04:58
Rating: 4
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by AngelofDeth on 27.04.2012 at 04:53

Hard to say whether I should disregard this review or not. It seems like everyone agrees with it, yet he also bashes Rise Of The Tyrant, which I found to be their best work...Conundrum.

Rise of the Tyrant is one of my favorite worx by AE as well but I also find this album terrible.

Yup. Bought the album against my better judgement a few months ago. It's not very good. Maybe 1 or 2 songs I like.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.01.2013 - 05:12
Nemesis7575
You reviewers always have something negative to say about Arch Enemy. Perhaps it is your taste in music that is bad. They are the ONLY band i listen that i find every song, every album, every riff amazing! Michael Amott is a musical genius. All the "experimental and technical" stuff on the market is crap.
I like alot of metal but there's no one that's been as consistent at putting out good material as Arch Enemy. No one!

Hits total: 15407 | This month: 18