05. Cloaked In Red
06. Perimeter Man
07. Skeleton Smile
08. Isela Vega
09. Lost In Groningen
10. Statuary
11. Man Was Never Meant To Fly
12. Punk / Money

So, this band Coliseum... pretty rock 'n' roll, huh?

The easy way out is to staple that good ol' all-embracing "alternative metal" tag on Coliseum's forehead and just move on with the rest of my review. But things are a tad more complicated than that. What Coliseum have going on here is a mixed bag of post-hardcore-ish punk and groove-laden blues. Make sense much? No? Thought so.

All you got to know is that Coliseum's approach is rock solid... But at the same time also decidedly muscular. And the whole thing is sprinkled over with a generous portion of stoner-like otherworldliness. Which means the atmosphere might get dense sometimes. Don't worry, this stuff is still heavy. The kick-your-teeth-in-for-no-reason kind of heavy. The kind of badass heavy that even puts the word 'badass' with its pants down. Fucking-a right, one might even say Coliseum are putting the 'raw' back in 'rawk'.

Coliseum is your no-dicking-around kind of band. The band's prime asset is their keen understanding how to combine toughness with intellect in their songs. Melodies that are deceptively straightforward yet energy-packed seem to sprout up everywhere. Tracks are catchier than the plague and foot-stompingly entertaining, but when it ends you don't remember a bit. Pretty much like a regular Friday-night-is-bar-night. Might as well glue your finger to the replay button while you're at it. A second trademark of the Coliseum sound is definitely the gravel-throated though understandable-at-all-times caveman-like vocals. The album might get a tad repetitive near the end, though consider it a pimple on an otherwise perfectly apricot-shaped manly ass.

House With A Curse is the kind of record that will give you a strong pat on the back, then grab you by the balls and twist 180 degrees, before buying you an ice-cold beer in a smoky roadside biker bar. A dangerously addictive and decent enough album.

Written by Thryce | 02.06.2011

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 110 users
02.06.2011 - 22:02
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Nice work, like the album. had been toying around with reviewing it myself, but instead of a full plate, i've got a full buffet on my table at the moment.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.06.2011 - 12:23
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by BitterCOld on 02.06.2011 at 22:02

Nice work, like the album. had been toying around with reviewing it myself, but instead of a full plate, i've got a full buffet on my table at the moment.

Heh, I thought it was your review when i saw the band name
Will check this one out. People should start posting bandcamp accounts as well if the band has them, i prefer that to myspace, plus its not blocked at my office
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
03.06.2011 - 17:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, yeah, this sounds like one big song; not much diversity here. I don't know whether to bother "getting into it." The replay button comment is quite suitable by the way.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy

Hits total: 3990 | This month: 17