Metal Storm logo
Favorite Song On Agalloch's Ashes Against The Grain

Original post

Posted by , 03.06.2011 - 03:29
So which one is your fave?
For me, it's a hard question, as this album is my favorite of all time. Limbs is one of the best album intros which I ever heard. Falling Snow, in my opinion, has the best intro of all time. The clean vocals on Not Unlike The Waves send the chills down my spine whenever I hear them. Our Fortress Is Burning I is a typical Agalloch instrumental, nothing really worth mentioning. The second part, however, is a very good song. The third is something strange. The distortion sound somewhere near the middle of the song produces a great atmosphere, I don't know how they did that, maybe Tremolo Picking, but it's very good. I still have to listen a little more to Fire Above, Ice Below to give my opinion on it, but for now, it's a fine 10 minute composition by these artists called Agalloch. The last track, This White Mountain On Which You Will Die, is a 1:30 minute instrumental, so I don't think anyone will vote it, and I didn't include it in the poll. But in the end, I just voted Not Unlike The Waves.

Poll

Which is the best song off Ashes Against The Grain?

Not Unlike The Waves
Falling Snow
Our Fortress Is Burning II
Limbs
Fire Above, Ice Below
Our Fortress Is Burning I
Our Fortress Is Burning III

Total votes: 119
22.06.2011 - 01:37
SSM
Massacred
Not Unlike The Waves.

The intro is strange, nostalgic and lost.
I like the mixture of clean emotional arpeggio (with added chorus and reverb) and leading riffs;
the arpeggio is deep from the heart, the riff and bass guide the music to be more than just a repeating yesterday.
There's a significant tension in the arpeggio timing which made it depressive and hopeful at the same time.
The key is mastering! The repeating arpeggio is the slave here and encourage the listener to follow it
(Depressive repeating arpeggios psychology rule: If you want the audience to pay more attention to the arpeggio path, make it unattainable!)

After the outlaw drum fill, there's an acoustic part which continues the intro feeling
and then the clean vocals describes all is needed there (the vocal melodies I mean, not the lyrics)
then there's an effective shout... to the solo and repeat all once again.
(The intro arpeggio and riff mixture, which becomes song main part as it move forward,
is so simple and so emotional that the listener want it to be repeated more and more)

Not Unlike The Waves is my favorite song On Agalloch's Ashes Against The Grain .
25.06.2011 - 06:22
TheCryingOrc

This question is impossible to answer, the album is perfect.
----
Amber streams from Sol
Are not unlike the waves of the sea
Nor the endless horizon of ice
28.07.2011 - 09:38
thev_manutop

Fortress2 is jus 2 gud of an instrumental and gives u a lot of feeling...its beautiful n a cut above d rest...but d ones dat cme close are 'not unlike' and 'fire above'...reeli gud album tho i wish dey had cut out 'white mountain' and 'fortress3'...dey r no-nothing songs..oder dan almost perfect
31.07.2011 - 12:59
OpenMind

Yeah is really difficult to choice a song on this album, but i don't know why "Fire Above, Ice Below" sound so fucking perfect in my ears, and make me go in ecstasy
01.10.2011 - 17:06
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by thev_manutop on 28.07.2011 at 09:38

Fortress2 is jus 2 gud of an instrumental and gives u a lot of feeling...its beautiful n a cut above d rest...but d ones dat cme close are 'not unlike' and 'fire above'...reeli gud album tho i wish dey had cut out 'white mountain' and 'fortress3'...dey r no-nothing songs..oder dan almost perfect

"Fortress 2" isn't an instrumental...
02.10.2011 - 10:12
thev_manutop

Written by Guest on 01.10.2011 at 17:06

Written by thev_manutop on 28.07.2011 at 09:38

"Fortress 2" isn't an instrumental...

Well yeah i mean the instrumental part...i mean 80percent of it IS...
07.09.2012 - 19:19
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Not Unlike The Waves is a very catchy song and is perfect for a live format. I've seen videos of Agalloch fans getting pumped and banging their heads at concerts since they're so into the song. It gets me pumped up whenever singing it in my car.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.09.2012 - 19:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Falling Snow's intro riff is the best of all
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.09.2012 - 03:05
cadenceofthewind

I am so happy to see that Not Unlike the Waves is first. It has always been my favourite song of theirs and this is always the first song I recommend to people when they wish to listen to Agalloch for the first time. Nothing beats this masterpiece!
----
"Time contracts, then expands, all in tune with the stirrings of the heart."
16.09.2012 - 03:18
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Ellrohir on 07.09.2012 at 19:59

Falling Snow's intro riff is the best of all

It also has the best last 3 minutes of all.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
16.09.2012 - 08:22
bran

An amazing album from an even more amazing band. i would choose the whole our fortress is burning trilogy but since i cant i go with bloodbirds
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
31.10.2012 - 02:06
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I also love the ending to the song "Limbs", it's amazingly powerful and transitions nicely into "Falling Snow".
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
01.11.2012 - 18:02
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
While i tend to listen to albums as a whole, Not Unlike The Waves definitely stands out in my opinion