Metal Storm logo
BitterCOld's Top 10 Best Covers Of Non-Metal Songs By Metal Bands

Written by: BitterCOld
Published: 04.06.2011

So the Dane Train released his list of favorite metal acts covering non-metal artists, but anything you can do I can do better. Or something. Actually, not better, just different. And by different I mean better. (Provided you're not the poster who thinks we are the same person? in which case your head might just have blown!) In any case, as with the artists on his list and mine, rather than show originality I'm simply going to cover his concept.

So, without further adieu, here is my list of favorite metal acts re-interpreting non-metal songs. There is no particular order here, just 10 tracks that amuse me.

Darkthrone - Love In A Void - much like their (soon to be appearing) Swiss overlords, the Norwegian black metal duo crop their hair up to Flock Of Seagulls heights, break out the black lipstick, and pay homage to the reigning queen of post-punk/new wave, Siouxsie and her Banshees with Love In A Void.

original

Exodus - Low Rider - The SF Thrash stalwarts take on the theme song to the George Lopez show, giving it a bit of a metal kick in the ass. The laid back shuffle gets some swagger and shred.

original

Anthrax - Got The Time - Frankie Bello and company kick the Joe Jackson song into high gear with an awesome bassline and solo with some crushing riffs. Probably the best track on their last album with Joey Belladonna. Sing along now! Chicken on my head! CHICKEN ON MY HEAD!

original

Celtic Frost - Mexican Radio - Wall Of Voodoo was a relatively obscure 80's new wave band which had an unlikely eMpTy Vee hit with "Mexican Radio". No idea why CF covered it? or how the Swissters even heard it. A good cover, even if Tom G. Warrior's vox aren't as cool as Stan Ridgway's quirky style.

original

Ministry - Roadhouse Blues - Somehow seems a fitting cover that Al and Co., known for raising hell, would pick this The Doors song. The original is an awesome beer-swilling, sing-a-long tune. This version isn't just a party, it's a Texas bar-room brawl? Roadhouse Black & Blues.

original

Buzzov*en - Don't Bring Me Down - The original cheery, cheesy ELO song annoys the crap out of me every time it appears on classic rock radio. Buzzers piss all over it and make it a definite, hateful downer that will have ELO fans sticking forks in the nearest light socket and ELOctrocuting themselves.

original

Anathema - Better Off Dead - The Pink Floydian Doomster's entry marks the first metal cover to actually take a fast song and slow it down. They turn the cheeky song mocking the over self-centered and distill it into a beautiful ballad, which thus beautifully mocks, well, pretty much all of Gen X onward.

original

Carpathian Forest - A Forest - CF's cover is another which takes a song and slows it down. In this case, taking a Cure classic with an awesome bass line and cool guitar parts and strip it down to a near dead electronic piece.

original

Danzig - The Hunter - Everyone's favorite Mr Mojo Risin impersonator takes on the Albert King blues classic, slightly altering the lyrics, has Christ stomp on the distortion pedal and turns it to a blues-metal good time.

well, the King's version isn't on youtube, so I linked Born Under A Bad Sign, live, instead. Albert King > this list.

Lawnmower Deth - Kids In America - Yet another metal band going to the 80's music scene to pluck an oddball for covering. This song is infectious, even with the tempo amplified, the guitars distorted as hell, and the sing-a-long bits even more sing-a-long-y.

original

\m/

Written on 04.06.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 38   Visited by: 456 users
20.06.2011 - 09:40
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
The last video seems like something that Fat & Sassy could like... a lot!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
15.08.2011 - 03:21
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Goatlord on 04.06.2011 at 12:42

I always really liked Turisas's cover of 'Rasputin'.

Epic one. It destroys the original IMO. Boney M's version sucks.
29.09.2011 - 23:49
drshred

Low rider is a great cover by exodus! i liked the version of "overdose" they did as well.On a side note- another kisck ass cover is "Frankenstien" done by a band Edge of paradise. the guitar playing is outstanding, and i've always liked the song.Also: Paul gilbert/racer x's version of "godzilla"! very cool. That's my 2 cents!!
02.10.2011 - 05:10
Mattybu

Good list but I'd plop Judas Priest's version of Diamonds and Rust on there too it's a gem!
09.03.2012 - 05:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I really enjoy AC/DC's cover of Baby Please Don't Go.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.03.2012 - 05:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.04.2012 - 02:45
Alexbelletto

Children of Bodom's "Oops I did it again" cover is quite interesting too, not that it belongs on THIS list...
16.05.2012 - 07:09
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
How about Death's cover of God of Thunder?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 13772 | This month: 22