Mitochondrion - Parasignosis review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

72 users:
Band: Mitochondrion
Album: Parasignosis
Style: Blackened death metal, Progressive death metal
Release date: January 2011

01. Plague Evockation (Pestilentiam Intus Vocamus, Voluntatem Absolvimus Part I)
02. Lex Ego Exitium (Pestilentiam Intus Vocamus, Voluntatem Absolvimus Part II)
03. Tetravirulence (Pestilentiam Intus Vocamus, Voluntatem Absolvimus Part III)
04. Trials
05. Rift / Apex
06. Parasignosis
07. Banishment (Undecaphosphoric)
08. Kathenotheism
09. Untitled
10. Untitled
11. Untitled

So this ridiculously complex name Mitochondrion is supposed to be an organelle which is used as a source of chemical energy but this time it is in the form of blackened death metal hailing from Canada. As quoted by the guitarist and vocalist Shawn Hache, "this is not an easy listen," He was right. The moment you turn on the cd, it grasps you like a never ending sheer force with constant hammering. When you listen to a record like this, it is difficult to write a review without being the typical fan-boy attitude but surely it is worth this.

Parasignosis is their first album for Profound Lore, and certainly it takes material from their previous full length effort Archaeaeon but this time to a more concise vision. The songs are executed perfectly after one another imposing very thick sort of futuristic machinery atmosphere. The vocals of Shawn Hache are very deep and mixed low as if another instrument has been used occasionally letting loose gruesome growls. All these are accompanied with backup by the fellow guitarist and bassist Nick Yanchuk making the songs to take abrupt brute changes while underneath lie those discernible blackened riffs with blasting chaos and versatile drumming. Also to mention those crushed out utters like some ritual performance is carrying on with occultism or apocalyptic lyrical themes on which they rely heavily.

Their ability to grip the listener for song after song is very noticeable throughout. Take the opening song "Plague Evockation" and its immediate follow up "Lex Ego Exitium" for example as the crunch-layered riff continues from the first passage or "Tetravirulence" which certainly grows deeper and deeper creating some sort of hallucinogenic aura; also Banishment (Undecaphosphoric) crafts into a dramatic ending to give birth to a monstrous instrumental piece "Kathenotheism" followed by three hidden tracks without which the whole mission certainly would not have been carried out.

Parasignosis really needs to be heard to believe. Whether it becomes the record of the year or not, it certainly makes fifty-five minutes of epic soul crushing journey awaiting to take us into immense devouring abyss. This is certainly a masterpiece; highly recommended for death metal heads out there!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Tetravirulence | 05.06.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 124 users
05.06.2011 - 13:05
(((O)))

Great review and this album is probably my favorite of 2011 right now.
05.06.2011 - 14:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Great review, though I still prefer Ulcerate and Owl over this myself.
05.06.2011 - 17:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
For death metal I've got this situated between Benighted and Obscura - more popular bands for sure, but Mitochondrion definitely know how to mix modern and old school death metal. It's brutal, technical, atmospheric, grimy, catchy, everything good that death metal fans look for in a death metal album.

The rating does this album justice for sure. It's easily worth a 9+ rating.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.06.2011 - 21:01
Rating: 9
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
I agree with the rating, this is definitely one of my favorite albums of the year so far.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
05.06.2011 - 21:04
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.06.2011 at 17:09

For death metal I've got this situated between Benighted and Obscura - more popular bands for sure, but Mitochondrion definitely know how to mix modern and old school death metal. It's brutal, technical, atmospheric, grimy, catchy, everything good that death metal fans look for in a death metal album.

The rating does this album justice for sure. It's easily worth a 9+ rating.

Since you like it so much, you might want to buy it - the booklet is impressive. Definitely a top 5 booklet in my collection

I gave it a 7 for now, but I definitely plan on revisiting it
06.06.2011 - 01:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Dangerboner on 05.06.2011 at 21:04

I gave it a 7 for now, but I definitely plan on revisiting it

I just spent over 200 bucks about two weeks ago, but I'll definitely get my copy asap.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.06.2011 - 13:18
Rating: 10
Tetravirulence

Written by Death To Posers on 05.06.2011 at 21:01

I agree with the rating, this is definitely one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

I would like to add some very interesting infos about the album which I could not fit into the review:

1. Play Track 1- 0.02 Sec- The vocal utters a word like "VISHNU" or may be "WISHNU" i cant make out what he exactly utters however you will notice at Track 11(hidden track)- 8.03 Sec exact words are uttered which is the very end of the album. The album starts and ends with same fashion.

2. Play Track 1- 3.52 Sec, a riff starts which continues to track 2 upto 0.45 Sec. Track 2 Starts In Track 1.

3. Track 3 is also a continuation of Track 2 in which vocals kick in

4. Track 4 is also continuation of Track 3 and at Track 4, 0.18 Sec, the guitar notes pattern [ palm muted heavily on track 3 than track 4] are same to Track 3's end portion. Track 3 ends at Track 4's 0.56 Sec. Then on you see the song completely changes to a different direction and Track 4 begins.

5. Then likewise Track 5 is continuation of Track 6 and 7 is from 6.

6. At Track 7, 6.12 Sec there is a pause, its a bit too much long pause for a breakdown, may be the track 7 ends there, track 8 starts then in Track 7.

7. Track 8 is not entirely instrument cause Vocals are used as another instrument, play at 2.25 sec you can hear vocals.

8. Through Track 9,10,11 vocals can be heard as an ambient instrument.
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
07.06.2011 - 19:37
Rating: 9
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Tetravirulence on 07.06.2011 at 13:18

Written by Death To Posers on 05.06.2011 at 21:01

I would like to add some very interesting infos about the album which I could not fit into the review:

1. Play Track 1- 0.02 Sec- The vocal utters a word like "VISHNU" or may be "WISHNU" i cant make out what he exactly utters however you will notice at Track 11(hidden track)- 8.03 Sec exact words are uttered which is the very end of the album. The album starts and ends with same fashion.

2. Play Track 1- 3.52 Sec, a riff starts which continues to track 2 upto 0.45 Sec. Track 2 Starts In Track 1.

3. Track 3 is also a continuation of Track 2 in which vocals kick in

4. Track 4 is also continuation of Track 3 and at Track 4, 0.18 Sec, the guitar notes pattern [ palm muted heavily on track 3 than track 4] are same to Track 3's end portion. Track 3 ends at Track 4's 0.56 Sec. Then on you see the song completely changes to a different direction and Track 4 begins.

5. Then likewise Track 5 is continuation of Track 6 and 7 is from 6.

6. At Track 7, 6.12 Sec there is a pause, its a bit too much long pause for a breakdown, may be the track 7 ends there, track 8 starts then in Track 7.

7. Track 8 is not entirely instrument cause Vocals are used as another instrument, play at 2.25 sec you can hear vocals.

8. Through Track 9,10,11 vocals can be heard as an ambient instrument.

Wow, I'll have to listen to it again with this in mind. You should submit this as trivia as well
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
19.01.2012 - 08:57
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Hell of a ride...... really worth every penny. And what an awesome album cover.. it gets 10/10 from me
03.12.2012 - 06:26
TheIllusiveGreg

Interesting, I'll have to give it a look!

Hits total: 5622 | This month: 12