03. And Then You Go
04. A Hand Of Awful Rewards

Disc III [deluxe edition bonus]
01. The Music Of Flesh
02. Seven Times She Wept
03. The Burning Coast Of Regnum Italicum
04. She Heard My Body Dying
05. And All Their Joy Was Drowned

I don't think I should say anything concerning My Dying Bride, you all know who they are and what they accomplished, but most and above all you still recall the company they kept you throughout the years; that is indispensable. Yet, neither they possess the Papal infallibility nor do I grant indulgence.

Up to Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light, even A Line Of Deathless Kings, I used to worship them, to a welcome extent of course, it always depends on the album and everything it has to say. Then, the big "surprise" came with For Lies I Sire, it wasn't even memorable, an album whose existence I nearly ignore, third class uninspired My Dying Bride just for the sake of it, nothing less, nothing more, a mediocre sculpture of what they once were. Two years later, the band itself prepared the world for something different through statements, something that was waiting for a long time to be accomplished and fulfilled, now it is awakened. Of course I'm referring to Evinta, a wannabe magnum opus of familiar and renowned My Dying Bride melodies transformed into pieces of classical/symphonic music.

The truth is, they never got through "Black God" it seems, one of their most exceptional tunes throughout the years and everything in Evinta sounds like its immature niece. Of course it's not all that bad, there are moments that send you to outer space with their immense beauty and fragile nature, in the end though there are not so many things to recall, it's like a repeated amorphous maze that flows with ultra few escalating moments that make the album reach a redeeming climax. There are many bands around that move in neo-classical/dark ambient/spoken word soundscapes doing this successfully for years and the differences between them and Evinta are inspiration, experience and purity. My Dying Bride seem to have forced themselves so much to do something "different" that they kind of failed at it, at least this is the impression they gave me. And I insist, it has its moments on every song, yet, a few moments won't make an album worth of your money. It could have been great, but...

Then, I have to admit we're talking about a mood album, you have to be in the ideal psychological condition to let it get closer to you, otherwise either you will change it or you will fall asleep before its nearly 90 minutes of duration have passed. Everything you might had thought of finding in here are present, the piano, the violin and other classical instruments partaking in the main structure, spoken word parts from Aaron Stainthorpe and even less singing that sounds quite whiny to my ears for the first time, accompanied by a soprano.

I'd recommend you give Evinta a chance to find out what words it may whisper to you, in person. As for me, I guess I'll have to go back to the albums that wrote their own history in the generally speaking atmospheric metal scene of the 90s rather than cherish deflowered melodies of a once unuttered greatness. As for My Dying Bride, I hope this ill-natured period they're running ends soon and get back with something worth of their radiance. "What is it you hope for, even though you are dying?"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 05.06.2011 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 508 users
05.06.2011 - 20:13
MechanisT
Account deleted
Oh my! I've been meaning to check this one out, but I guess I'll take my time. A shame, really. I used to like My Dying Bride a lot until mediocrity crept in, starting from "A Line of Deathless Kings". Oh well.
05.06.2011 - 20:16
Rating: 7
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
My feelings regarding "For Lies I Sire" were almost the same (though I was able to find some nice moments there). I just hope it won't be so with this album. I wouldn't want to get disappointed with MDB for the first time...
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
05.06.2011 - 20:43
Kenos
Account deleted
Perfect review.
This is an inoffensive record, very few good moments scattered here and there in an ocean of *meh*... It could have been really great, and it's a shame that, according to the band, this special project took even 15 years (figure it out, FIFTEEN YEARS!) to get accomplished.

However, one of the worst things on "Evinta" is Aaron singing in "Of Lilies Bent With Tears". Awful. (un)Fortunately, he will just keep speaking for the rest of the album. Which isn't a good thing either...
05.06.2011 - 21:06
Rating: 6
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Metal has nothing to do with my personal opinion in this review; i don't listen only to metal anyway.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
05.06.2011 - 22:11
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by HolyandFallen on 05.06.2011 at 21:01

I don't understand what is everyone complaining about.
This is not a MDB full length, this is a compilation based on 20 years of MDB and it involves three people, two of which are not even from the band (the french soprano and Bal Sagoth keyboard player).
Evinta is all about creativity, taking doom metal and making it instrumental pieces. MDB told us from the start that Evinta won't be a metal album.

I don't see any 'true defender' complaining that it isn't a metal album; all the criticism towards "Evinta" is about its quality.
06.06.2011 - 01:07
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I agree with most of the review, actually, even being myself a long time MDB fan and knowing that they never make the same record twice. This record sounds weird and sometimes directionless, puzzling together some old and new tunes and stitch them with the soprano voice. Though some songs work very nicely (That Dress And Summer Skin), most of them are somewhat deprived of emotion, which is the main key to MDB songs.
Already bought it. I give it a 7 out of 10.
06.06.2011 - 02:38
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Wow, a 3 disc My Dying Bride record. That is not ridiculous overkill in any way at all! Fantastic!
06.06.2011 - 02:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by jupitreas on 06.06.2011 at 02:38

Wow, a 3 disc My Dying Bride record. That is not ridiculous overkill in any way at all! Fantastic!

Man you should have reviewed it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.06.2011 - 03:35
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.06.2011 at 02:54

that would have been fun indeed
----
loves 小巫
06.06.2011 - 04:58
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
How about I say MDB rules but you can't rule all the time. Just look at the new morbid angel. I hear it has hip hop beats in it. no shit.
06.06.2011 - 08:10
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.06.2011 at 02:54

+1
----
7.0 means the album is good
06.06.2011 - 13:52
NyarlathoTim
It seems to me all MDB albums have a handful of amazing songs and a bunch of okay-at-best songs.

But when I heard was Evinta was actually going to be, I was less than thrilled. I think I'll pass on this one.
----
Burning Shadows - US Power Metal
Recently Vacated Graves - Zombie Metal
Isenmor - Folk Metal
06.06.2011 - 15:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 06.06.2011 at 15:20

especially 'cause we know this band once covered Roads and Some Velvet Morning

I'm still amazed with the youtube people wh like the cover of Roads... Alon fucking wishes he had the piercing sadness in his voice that Beth Gibbons has. They managed to fucked up one of my favorite Portishead songs and there are people who claim his voice is better?! Wow!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.06.2011 - 23:41
I've never been a fan of Aaron's singing and on this one he should just shut up...
07.06.2011 - 04:47
Rating: 10
AXA
Awesome project ... i think very cool work ,,,
i love it so much \../
my best song (The Music of Flesh ) greatfull song \../
this top doom metal album i hear it \../
07.06.2011 - 19:56
eximius
You just don't like it because it's not metal
07.06.2011 - 20:00
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Written by eximius on 07.06.2011 at 19:56

Of course, even Manowar say it, if you're not into metal you are not my friend! This album can't be my friend
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
07.06.2011 - 20:06
eximius
Written by KwonVerge on 07.06.2011 at 20:00

Of course, even Manowar say it, if you're not into metal you are not my friend! This album can't be my friend

Manowar are self-proclaimed gods of metal, makes it so less true

if you confine to just metal you lose too much my friend
07.06.2011 - 20:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by eximius on 07.06.2011 at 20:06

You might wanna do some research into our friend here buster. I'll go out on a limb and say that metal is definitely not his favourite genre of music.
07.06.2011 - 20:08
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Written by eximius on 07.06.2011 at 20:06

I was just kidding I'm not only into metal, i judged the album for what it is and it didn't appeal to me :/
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

07.06.2011 - 20:16
eximius
Sorry to misjudge then
still probably most of the others dislike it for this reason.
"you" from "You just don't like it because it's not metal" was impersonal tho
07.06.2011 - 20:18
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Written by eximius on 07.06.2011 at 20:16

Sorry to misjudge then
still probably most of the others dislike it for this reason.
"you" from "You just don't like it because it's not metal" was impersonal tho

I really think they could have made something great with Evinta, but it didn't turn out well to my ears No prob mate!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

10.06.2011 - 20:08
Rating: 7
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I don't think it's very interesting either, gotta admit :/ but it's an experiment, so there was that risk. i really don't see why people began complaining abou my dying bride after songs of darkness, words of light. i still find the lies i sire to be a great album
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
11.06.2011 - 05:04
AXA
There is some story in this album ,,, only for metal heads
\../ awesome on ,,,,
nice album ... greatfull ....:suicide:
12.06.2011 - 02:11
Fucking horrible album. To have a Soprano does not always means a great idea!!!
16.06.2011 - 17:05
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I like this kind of music, but I got bored very easily with this.
22.07.2011 - 02:31
AXA
I dont have many words ....

but this album is a great revolt (in doom metal)

new Elements (unusual )

very deep ......

this is smart music \../

thanks my dying bride for this pure doom metal album
22.07.2011 - 02:34
AXA
This album just work many years ....
very deep ....
only for metal heads \../
i can tell him open your minds ,,,,this not usual album ,,,,
this awesome work ...
i like it very much
i hear it in one day 10 time .... this is fucking great
01.10.2011 - 17:13
Kenos
Account deleted
I've recently listened to the "extra" disc of the deluxe edition, hoping to find something that could redeem this disaster. I thought the second disc ruined the entire project, but man, the third one just makes it all even worse! That's disgusting, I mean SERIOUSLY bad! What a shame...
14.10.2012 - 17:39
NikolaFranquelli
Account deleted
All bands, all individuals come to a time in their life when ideas dilute, but that is no ground to use such language as you have in this review of yours. You are a fan? I sincerely doubt that.

Hits total: 14931 | This month: 24