Metal Storm logo
Machine Head - New Single Out Next Week, Sample Online

Original news, posted on 08.06.2011

Machine Head will be releasing their highly anticipated follow up to The Blackening this September. The band will release a new single, Locust, on iTunes on June 14th. The single is an advance mix of a song from the band's as-yet untitled upcoming album, set for release September 27th through Roadrunner Records.

The as-yet untitled new album is being recorded at JingleTown Studios in Oakland, with frontman Robb Flynn producing, and it is sure to level anything and everything that happens upon its path.

Said Machine Head vocalist/guitarist Robb Flynn: "We've been working on the record for a few weeks now, and when the opportunity to be a part of the free Rock Star Energy Drink Mayhem Festival sampler came up, we did not want to pass up the chance. We're so pumped for our fans to hear the new music that we're so proud of."

Flynn went a little deeper about the meaning of the song, saying, "Locust is a metaphor. Locusts fly in a swarm, but they can't control which direction they fly; they float on the wind, they land, cause massive destruction, and then float away on the wind to leave you in the aftermath. The song is a metaphor for a type of person that sometimes comes into your life and has a similar effect."

Musically, the song is the essence of what Machine Head have been doing for nearly two decades. "It feels like the culmination of what we've been doing for the last 17 years: power grooves, patented Machine Head harmonics, crushing guitars and dark melodies, but taken to a new level," Flynn said. "It's a natural progression from The Blackening, but different than anything on that record. In the past, when we debuted a new song, it was usually the fastest, thrashiest tune. This time we wanted to go with something just straight-up heavy."

The song is eight minutes in length, which is not unfamiliar territory for the band. Flynn even joked, "We still can't seem to write a damn song under six minutes. But Machine Head aren't writing music for the radio or MTV. This is for us. This is for the metalhead who let's music take him on a journey. This for the metalhead for whom music is the only thing that matters, to whom music is a savior. The music fan who's going to study every detail of the artwork, go online and find the lyrics and memorize every word, and let it take them away from their fucked up life for a while. It's for the music freak, who maybe just wants to get hammered, air-guitar and sing at the top of his lungs, and act like an friggin' idiot while starting a moshpit in their living room with reckless abandon. Because that's who wrote this song, and that is the only people we care about connecting with."

Flynn finished, "We know you'll be as excited about it as we are, so Head Cases, on June 14th, check out Locust."

UPDATE (thanks to Cynic Metalhead)

A 20-second sample of the forthcoming Machine Head single Locust is available for streaming over at Amazon.de.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Machine Head
Posted: 11.06.2011 by RcK

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 115 users
08.06.2011 - 23:57
bluegreengod
Account deleted
I like what Flynn has to say about their audience -- that's truly what metal is all about IMO. The Blackening is a damn fine album and no doubt the new one will be as well.
09.06.2011 - 00:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"The Blackening" was surprisingly awesome, and easily up there with "Burn My Eyes" as the best thing the band has ever done. Hopefully this one will be as good, or even better. xD Bring on the Locust! \m/
09.06.2011 - 00:29
JD
Account deleted
Great news!
09.06.2011 - 01:31
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I loved the Blackening, so I have high expectations for this song and album.
09.06.2011 - 02:17
ryche76

"The Blackening" was a big surprise to me and how good it was, so I am eagerly awaiting what Rob and the band can produce this time around. Cant wait !!!
09.06.2011 - 03:52
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Awesome news! The Blackening was a great surprise, and it's probably my favourite Machine Head album. Powerfull thrashy tunes; dark melodies; and long length songs.
So the fact that new next single will be a 8 minute song makes me happy already. I hope it's accurate what Rob says about everything else about it. I'm sure he is.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
09.06.2011 - 04:50
godisdead

I cant wait for this!
09.06.2011 - 05:08
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Yupieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........Great News!

\m/
10.06.2011 - 17:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New single

10.06.2011 - 22:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Hmm... "Locust" is interesting, I think it'll take another play or 2 to fully sink in. Loved the solo though! xD
11.06.2011 - 04:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Their 30 second preview song "Locust" was on Youtube. I dont know why it is blocked. Well, pretty excited from the Rob's army!!!

Lets see how they gonna blast!!

\m/
11.06.2011 - 04:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Respect for why they do what they do. Nothing better than reading comments like that, especially from a more popular band

You can never forget where you come from.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.06.2011 - 16:13
Pyramid God

Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.06.2011 at 04:17

Respect for why they do what they do. Nothing better than reading comments like that, especially from a more popular band

You can never forget where you come from.

I sure hope they forget The Burning Red part of where they came from.

Last album was good, I'll check the new stuff out.
12.06.2011 - 01:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Pyramid God on 11.06.2011 at 16:13

I sure hope they forget The Burning Red part of where they came from.

As much as I despise that album, I'm admittedly a huge fan of the self-titled track.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 3771 | This month: 4