Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Album Ready To Be Mastered

Nightwish keyboardist and main composer Tuomas Holopainen recently issued the following update regarding the forthcoming album Imaginarium, slated for an early 2012 release:

"After three years of brainstorming and songwriting, over a year of rehearsing, arranging and studio work, this triumph of musical passion and piety is finally ready to be mastered. Yesterday, after a six-week mixing session in Studio C at Finnvox, I listened the whole thing from start to finish alone for the first time, and couldn't make heads nor tails of it. It's the same old story - the same feeling of bottomless emptiness that has marked the completion of all previous albums.

We could have honed the songs till Armageddon, but at some point you just have to let go and start admiring the scenery. This time, the landscape consists of 13 songs totalling 75 minutes. I think I'll probably be able to savour the end result only after a couple of months of mixing detox, but the encouraging comments by those near to me assure that it is a decent album. One person who heard Imaginarium called it "the greatest adventure he ever heard with his two ears".

There's clearly more grin to the new album than on the last one, more funfair, Moomins, smoky taverns, and twisted landscapes. It equals the Milky Way in width and breath, even according to our standards.

As Markus Selin put it: "Now you've really gone and emptied the bag of tricks!"

We're now going to get some distance to the album before mastering it later in the autumn. Meanwhile, we're going to be busy designing the cover, completing the instrumental and orchestral versions of the album, planning the upcoming tour, shooting the movie, and digesting the audio bloat. An excellent cure for the latter should be peaceful country atmosphere, fishing, and following the games of the current pesäpallo season. (By the way, during the home games of Kiteen Pallo, the entry music will be a remix consisting of the main riff and chorus of song number 11 off Imaginarium).

Big thanks and bear hugs to the whole band for their patience; to Mikko Karmila and Tee Cee Kinnunen for their forbearance, craftsmanship and enormous amount of work; and in advance to Mika Jussila for the finishing touch! It's been a magnificent journey so far. Big thanks to you, too, for living with us through this process and having faith in what's to come. I'm sure you won't be disappointed."

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 12.06.2011 by Array

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 16   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 167 users
12.06.2011 - 13:23
Enissa

This album should be gooooood...!!!
12.06.2011 - 13:43
Metal Invader

Well i like them and i hope it will be better album then previous one wich i didnt like much!
12.06.2011 - 14:32
ANGEL REAPER

CroBoy i agree....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.06.2011 - 15:21
Jiri

I love Tuomas' attitude towards his own album.
12.06.2011 - 15:27
Windrider
Raureif
This landscape stuff and smoky taverns sounds good!
12.06.2011 - 17:59
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Moomins lol
----
loves 小巫
13.06.2011 - 11:18
Warman
Erotic Stains
I actually look forward to this one, I still - after all these years - refuse to call it Nightwish though.
----
13.06.2011 - 16:21
Metal_4Ever

I think that album will be AWESOM!!
13.06.2011 - 20:29
ImNotMetal

But it still will be released next year
14.06.2011 - 11:47
renai

He surely a good marketter as well...
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
14.06.2011 - 22:12
Anibx

Written by Irritable Ted on 12.06.2011 at 17:15

A bit worrying that he doesn't like the recordings.

The Moomins were weird too.

Me too, but at least he doesn't go like Luca Turili and his "masterpiece, wonderfull, top album in the history of humankind" thing that he say with every album rhapsody release.

Tuomas say the album is decent, I get from that than it will be awesome.
27.06.2011 - 10:04
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Warman on 13.06.2011 at 11:18

I actually look forward to this one, I still - after all these years - refuse to call it Nightwish though.

Why, because they changed singer?
So, Black Sabbath weren't Black Sabbath with Dio, Candlemass arn't Candlemass with Robert Lowe, Mayhem arn't Mayhem with Attila Cshir.
And I liked Iron Maiden with Blaze Bayley. It may have sounded different, but it was still the same band. The singer is NOT more important than any other member.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
27.06.2011 - 19:38
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by M C Vice on 27.06.2011 at 10:04

So, Black Sabbath weren't Black Sabbath with Dio, Candlemass arn't Candlemass with Robert Lowe, Mayhem arn't Mayhem with Attila Cshir.
And I liked Iron Maiden with Blaze Bayley. It may have sounded different, but it was still the same band. The singer is NOT more important than any other member.

Haha damn, how many times have people been offended here on MS, every f-ing time someone (or me myself) have mentioned that one does not like Anette? I really don't want to have this discussion again, even though it was probably as long as 2, maybe 3 years ago I had it last time.

I never said Tarja was more important than the others. Tarja is/was IMO the most talented female vocalist there is in metal. Anette on the other hand, is kinda shitty if you ask me. I have a hard time calling the band Nightwish because it doesn't sound like Nightwish to me with Anette in the band. For the same reason I refuse to call "Cold Lake" a Celtic Frost album, because it doesn't sound like it. For the same reason it hurts to call todays In Flames for In Flames, when I listen to their old stuff. The same goes for today's Queensrÿche.
I can go on forever.

Quote me back if you want, I probably will not answer you. Because, as I said, the whole Metal Storm had this discussion years ago and it bores me. So I'm really not interested in having it again. I totally respect you who likes Nightwish with Anette. It doesn't matter to me. I know how some (many) on these forums work and if you're one of those who don't respect my opinion (which I don't know, could be, could be not), I really don't care and you don't have to answer me.

Cheers!
----
27.06.2011 - 19:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Warman on 27.06.2011 at 19:38

For the same reason it hurts to call todays In Flames for In Flames.

Well, if you ask a couple from the staff (myself included), their latest is sort of a comeback... Sounds like stuff from Reroute To Remain or Soundtrack To Your Escape (and I like those albums quite a bit).

That is all... offtopic but yeah... Hi Warman, long time no see.

.... I don't care for Nightwish, I'm just that random.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.06.2011 - 10:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Warman on 27.06.2011 at 19:38

Written by M C Vice on 27.06.2011 at 10:04

Haha damn, how many times have people been offended here on MS, every f-ing time someone (or me myself) have mentioned that one does not like Anette? I really don't want to have this discussion again, even though it was probably as long as 2, maybe 3 years ago I had it last time.

I never said Tarja was more important than the others. Tarja is/was IMO the most talented female vocalist there is in metal. Anette on the other hand, is kinda shitty if you ask me. I have a hard time calling the band Nightwish because it doesn't sound like Nightwish to me with Anette in the band. For the same reason I refuse to call "Cold Lake" a Celtic Frost album, because it doesn't sound like it. For the same reason it hurts to call todays In Flames for In Flames, when I listen to their old stuff. The same goes for today's Queensrÿche.
I can go on forever.

Quote me back if you want, I probably will not answer you. Because, as I said, the whole Metal Storm had this discussion years ago and it bores me. So I'm really not interested in having it again. I totally respect you who likes Nightwish with Anette. It doesn't matter to me. I know how some (many) on these forums work and if you're one of those who don't respect my opinion (which I don't know, could be, could be not), I really don't care and you don't have to answer me.

Cheers!

Actually, I also prefer Tarja's voice to Anette's, although not to the sometimes rabid extent that some oters do (probably cause I heard Dak Passion Play 1st and worked my way backwards). I just think it's a bit harsh to say a band isn't the same band anymore just cause there was a change in lineup.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.06.2011 - 12:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by M C Vice on 28.06.2011 at 10:05

Actually, I also prefer Tarja's voice to Anette's, although not to the sometimes rabid extent that some oters do (probably cause I heard Dak Passion Play 1st and worked my way backwards). I just think it's a bit harsh to say a band isn't the same band anymore just cause there was a change in lineup.

Yeah, could be it's a bit harsh. And I think I forgot to mention that I actually like Dark Passion Play, it just doesn't sound like Nightwish to me. When people ask me if I've seen them live I'm always about to say "no", just to suddenly remember that I have seen them, but with Anette as a vocalist.

Oh, and a hi to Mr. Doctor who also quoted me. Trying to get back into MS this summer, I had just had to much to do last fall and spring with my university studies. It was insane.
----

Hits total: 2534 | This month: 3