11. Embrace The Storm
12. (5772)
13. No One Will Stand
14. Structure Violence (Azzes)
15. (4648)
16. Firestarter [The Prodigy cover] [Deluxe edition bonus]
17. Point Of No Return [Deluxe edition bonus]
+ Making Of DVD [Deluxe edition bonus]

Sepultura's history is common knowledge. For those who didn't write the band off ten years ago, the last two albums Dante XXI and A-Lex were actually worth some time and gave back the Sepultura name some respect. Now with the band's first Nuclear Blast release Kairos has gone and blown it all away again.

Kairos is one of the limpest thrash metal albums you could have the misfortune of hearing. As much as Sepultura were re-building their reputation as fighters against the odds, there is absolutely no excuse for this sorry excuse of an album. The concept behind the album is time, which is probably the most apt theme this album could have had for its ability of making an hour seem like two.

"Relentless", "Born Strong" and "No One Will Stand" are the least bland moments of the album, aside from the cover of The Prodigy's "Firestarter" hidden on the track "4648". None of these songs have any of the conviction found on the band's last two albums, and are openly banal and weak in comparison. Sepultura even manage to conjure an entirely uncalled for lifeless cover of Ministry's "Just One Fix" to add insult to injury.

Kairos is an embarrassing gift to the band's fans for their optimistic support over the last years. Tedious, half-hearted, and just plain flat, Kairos is an album that no one needs to hear and the band would have done better without even releasing.

--

Thrash metal
Brazil
Length: 53:10
Nuclear Blast

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 3
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written on 12.06.2011 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 78   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 641 users
12.06.2011 - 16:04
Kingface
Ouch! Sounds like one to avoid big time!
12.06.2011 - 16:22
oroboros
That bad huh...
12.06.2011 - 19:22
Rating: 7
Athropos
Burning inside
Looks like the Cavalera brothers now write reviews for Metal Storm!
12.06.2011 - 20:05
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Not too surprising really. Although I'd say you're being too kind to their last two albums!
12.06.2011 - 20:40
Rating: 9
godisdead
I really liked their last two albums ....I was hoping this would change everything.
12.06.2011 - 23:05
terrorist
What happened to them....
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
12.06.2011 - 23:09
Rating: 5
Razorback
I was expecting more,this is disappointing..
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
13.06.2011 - 03:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
"...the last two albums Dante XXI and A-Lex were actually worth some time and gave back the Sepultura name some respect..."

If you thought those pieces of crap were any good and you gave this a 4, I'm thinking I don't even wanna waste my time checking it out even just so I can give it a low rating.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.06.2011 - 03:38
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.06.2011 at 03:13

"...the last two albums Dante XXI and A-Lex were actually worth some time and gave back the Sepultura name some respect..."

If you thought those pieces of crap were any good and you gave this a 4, I'm thinking I don't even wanna waste my time checking it out even just so I can give it a low rating.

Those two albums were good, you're just unable to appreciate modern metal.
13.06.2011 - 03:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by jupitreas on 13.06.2011 at 03:38
You're just unable to appreciate modern metal.

Hm, I'll allow that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.06.2011 - 04:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
He likes the last Meads of Asphodel album though ;] Can't get much more modern than that.
13.06.2011 - 04:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 13.06.2011 at 04:04

He likes the last Meads of Asphodel album though ;] Can't get much more modern than that.

Don't forget the Candy Cane / Oranssi Pazuzu split.
----
13.06.2011 - 04:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.06.2011 at 04:09

Written by Guest on 13.06.2011 at 04:04

Don't forget the Candy Cane / Oranssi Pazuzu split.

Actually I didn't even know that existed. I should probably grab that asap.
13.06.2011 - 07:18
The Voyager
The Table
I posted it once, I'll post it again. Sepultura: Just stop.
13.06.2011 - 08:54
demonseed
Worst year in metal.
WTF with all this shitty covers?????
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
13.06.2011 - 10:34
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Worst album ever... Big fail Sepultura... i don't understand why they choose to continue after Max left... All the albums they did after he left sucks big time
13.06.2011 - 10:37
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by The Voyager on 13.06.2011 at 07:18

I posted it once, I'll post it again. Sepultura: Just stop.

+1... Sepultura:Just fucking stop, will ya!!

i better go listen to some Shcizophrenia and beneath the remains
13.06.2011 - 10:39
Rating: 7
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
I really find it a real good album, one of the best Sepultura albums in the post-Max era.
13.06.2011 - 11:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by godisdead on 12.06.2011 at 20:40

I really liked their last two albums ....I was hoping this would change everything.

I thought "Dante XIII" was a great album, definitely the best Seps release with Derrick on vocals. xD I thought "A-lex" had some very good moments, but it was way too long, and bogged down by too much filler. Definitely a step backwards after Dante for me. And "Kairos" seems to have continued that devolution still further. It has 1 or 2 decent songs, but is totally devoid of the explosive moments that "A-lex" had, and is almost up there with "Sepulnation" as the worst album to bear the Sepultura name. Ive always tried to stick up for latter day Sepultura, but like the review, I can't really defend "Kairos". It's a terrible, highly dull album that makes "Against" seem like an absolute classic in comparison. Another album like this, and I'll be calling for the reunion!
13.06.2011 - 12:32
Huntteri
Kairos is a lot better than A-lex! this is clearly on of the better Derrick albums, I like this even more than Chaos A.D! the reason for that is that I hate Max's vocals in that album, reminds of Prong, ugh
13.06.2011 - 12:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
Too bad. I thought A-Lex had it's moments and I absolutely loved Dante XXI. Wonder if there's some hope for this album then, after reading this review it doesn't sound like it.
But I'll give it a try.
----
13.06.2011 - 15:05
Rating: 4
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Give it a miss is better option!!

14.06.2011 - 06:00
Ritual_Suicide
Account deleted
This review basically sums up my opinion of this band since at least Chaos AD.
14.06.2011 - 07:29
Johnra
Not everyone hates this album: http://www.onemetal.com/2011/06/12/sepultura-kairos/
14.06.2011 - 12:40
Papanilala
What can I say....it's better than the new Morbid Angel....but then...any album is.
15.06.2011 - 02:12
Void Eater
Account deleted

Yes, anybody who disagrees with you is unable to apreciate modern metal, is a close minded elitist, only listens to black metal bands with one demo limited to limited to 666 coppies, and hates everything post 1994. Did I cover everything? Oh yeah, some people just think that those two albums are shit, myself included. Kairos however was far superior, you're just a butthurt elitist and need to open your mind up. Or you just don't like the album, and the whole 'open minded' thing is just stupid.
15.06.2011 - 03:09
nb
That is too bad, I was just listening to Dante XII and I thought: "wow that is a cool album, the only one worth listening to after Chaos AD". But I did not like A-Lex at all. I will check the samples of this one later just to know what they are up to, but really no hopes for good stuff.
15.06.2011 - 06:16
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.06.2011 at 02:12

Yes, anybody who disagrees with you is unable to apreciate modern metal, is a close minded elitist, only listens to black metal bands with one demo limited to limited to 666 coppies, and hates everything post 1994. Did I cover everything? Oh yeah, some people just think that those two albums are shit, myself included. Kairos however was far superior, you're just a butthurt elitist and need to open your mind up. Or you just don't like the album, and the whole 'open minded' thing is just stupid.

Not entirely sure what you tried to say here. Seems the inbreeding in your family really got to you, it might be the right time to consider cyanide. Also, before you go, check out the definition of 'appreciate' in the dictionary.
15.06.2011 - 06:21
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 15.06.2011 at 06:16

Not entirely sure what you tried to say here. Seems the inbreeding in your family really got to you, it might be the right time to consider cyanide. Also, before you go, check out the definition of 'appreciate' in the dictionary.

You said that Troy didn't like the album only because he can't appreciate modern metal, not considering the possibility that people can enjoy modern but still dislike those two albums. It's just incredibly irritating that people like you can't accept that people can dislike certain albums/bands and still be open to the style.

And obviously, Kairos is a good album, you're just unable to appreciate modern metal.
15.06.2011 - 06:31
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.06.2011 at 06:21

Written by jupitreas on 15.06.2011 at 06:16

You said that Troy didn't like the album only because he can't appreciate modern metal, not considering the possibility that people can enjoy modern but still dislike those two albums. It's just incredibly irritating that people like you can't accept that people can dislike certain albums/bands and still be open to the style.

And obviously, Kairos is a good album, you're just unable to appreciate modern metal.

But Troy admitted that he does not in fact appreciate modern metal, no? Kairos is a shitty album and it being modern or traditional has nothing to with anything. Its just badly written and tepidly performed.

Hits total: 18087 | This month: 28