11. Embrace The Storm
12. (5772)
13. No One Will Stand
14. Structure Violence (Azzes)
15. (4648)
16. Firestarter [The Prodigy cover] [Deluxe edition bonus]
17. Point Of No Return [Deluxe edition bonus]
+ Making Of DVD [Deluxe edition bonus]

Sepultura's history is common knowledge. For those who didn't write the band off ten years ago, the last two albums Dante XXI and A-Lex were actually worth some time and gave back the Sepultura name some respect. Now with the band's first Nuclear Blast release Kairos has gone and blown it all away again.

Kairos is one of the limpest thrash metal albums you could have the misfortune of hearing. As much as Sepultura were re-building their reputation as fighters against the odds, there is absolutely no excuse for this sorry excuse of an album. The concept behind the album is time, which is probably the most apt theme this album could have had for its ability of making an hour seem like two.

"Relentless", "Born Strong" and "No One Will Stand" are the least bland moments of the album, aside from the cover of The Prodigy's "Firestarter" hidden on the track "4648". None of these songs have any of the conviction found on the band's last two albums, and are openly banal and weak in comparison. Sepultura even manage to conjure an entirely uncalled for lifeless cover of Ministry's "Just One Fix" to add insult to injury.

Kairos is an embarrassing gift to the band's fans for their optimistic support over the last years. Tedious, half-hearted, and just plain flat, Kairos is an album that no one needs to hear and the band would have done better without even releasing.

--

Thrash metal
Brazil
Length: 53:10
Nuclear Blast

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 3
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written on 12.06.2011 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 78   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 641 users
15.06.2011 - 06:34
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 15.06.2011 at 06:31

But Troy admitted that he does not in fact appreciate modern metal, no? Kairos is a shitty album and it being modern or traditional has nothing to with anything. Its just badly written and tepidly performed.

Meh, I don't care about Troy, more your idea that people HAVE to like certain albums if they enjoy a particular style. I find that Dante is a shitty album, and it being modern or traditional has nothing to do with anything. It's just badly written and tepidly performed. But I've had these debates before, and they never end well, so I'll just stop.
15.06.2011 - 06:59
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Guest on 15.06.2011 at 06:34

Written by jupitreas on 15.06.2011 at 06:31

But Troy admitted that he does not in fact appreciate modern metal, no? Kairos is a shitty album and it being modern or traditional has nothing to with anything. Its just badly written and tepidly performed.

Meh, I don't care about Troy, more your idea that people HAVE to like certain albums if they enjoy a particular style. I find that Dante is a shitty album, and it being modern or traditional has nothing to do with anything. It's just badly written and tepidly performed. But I've had these debates before, and they never end well, so I'll just stop.

<sigh> Once again, there is a difference between liking something and appreciating it. Both Dante and A-Lex have many interesting and innovative elements and this is a non-negotiable fact because its observable. You don't have to like those albums but you should give them credit for doing what they do.
15.06.2011 - 17:29
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
I already made my mind up about NOT getting this when they released the first single. Don't remember the name of the song (was it the title track?), but it fucking sucked.
----
THRASH!!!
16.06.2011 - 04:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

For the record jup has a pretty decent understanding of my musical preference, being that he was responsible for sending me reviews that catered to my personal taste. He wasn't implying that I don't like modern metal because I don't like Sepultura's recent offerings; he was saying I don't like them as I'm unable to appreciate modern metal - which he knows to be true.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.06.2011 - 04:25
Cynic Mehtalhead
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.06.2011 at 04:02

For the record jup has a pretty decent understanding of my musical preference, being that he was responsible for sending me reviews that catered to my personal taste. He wasn't implying that I don't like modern metal because I don't like Sepultura's recent offerings; he was saying I don't like them as I'm unable to appreciate modern metal - which he knows to be true.

Oh, so it was intended personaly as you? Alright, I was thinking he was impying everybody who dislikes those albums can't appreciate modern metal. Apologies to the guy I was being a douche to.
16.06.2011 - 10:14
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Baz gave it a try and still he thinks this album is awful, then I'm 99% sure I won't like this; it was very hard for me to digest "Dante XXI" so I don't think I'll be able to listen to this without throwing up or falling asleep, so bad, their vocalist is quite good, I really enjoyed his work with Musica Diablo
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
17.06.2011 - 20:14
fduba

Well, if you are:

a) Expecting something like BtR, Arise or Chaos A.D.;
b) Still mourning about the Cavaleras leaving the band;
c) A lover of cooked-over-metal and refuses to get something that's not in the Menu... "Waiter, I want the Cliché of the day, please. And a bottle of cheap wine."

You will indeed hate this record.

I can't believe people will just accept a review like this (4? Haha Are you kidding?) and not even check the record out for themselves.

Kairos is a strong album backed up by a very experienced and talented band.
It's far from reinventing the wheel or to live up to the band's true classics - but that's just impossible, anyway... They did both already

8 out of 10.
17.06.2011 - 22:35
RuiQuental

Reviews are opinions, i like this album, so fuck off.
18.06.2011 - 20:35
DNorbs

This album is by no means terrible..definitely better and more listenable than the last two...I'd say it's at least in the 6-7 range. This is one of the few reviews I have seen that is completely negative..
18.06.2011 - 21:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Quote:
I'm thinking I don't even wanna waste my time checking it out even just so I can give it a low rating.

I'll be a monkey's uncle. I actually gave this a serious spin today and found it quite enjoyable. Nothing amazing, but seriously...it's been so long since I actually liked a Sepultura release I gave up and just checked out newer releases for the pain of it. (I'm a masochist, whatevs.)

This album has quite possibly rejuvenated my faith in the band.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.06.2011 - 21:40
Rating: 7
Athropos
Burning inside
Finally gave it a try and it's not as bad as I expected after reading this review. I'll give it a 6 I think.
28.06.2011 - 22:18
broken_guitar

Come on! This is one of the best Sepultura records after Max departure.

Unfortunately, the guy who wrote this review did not really listened to the record.
Spectrum, Mask and Seethe - in addition to Kairos - are kick-ass songs that really embody a heavy metal spirit that won't disappoint any true headbanger.

Don't rely on this review alone. Truly listen to the record before you judge it!
28.06.2011 - 22:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Still better than anything SOulfly ever did.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.06.2011 - 23:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2011 at 22:24

Still better than anything SOulfly ever did.

Pfff like if that is a real challenge XD

The album is far from being as bad as the rating it got though... I would give it something between 5-6 depending on the mood.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.06.2011 - 23:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.06.2011 at 23:15

Pfff like if that is a real challenge XD

Exactly

All of post-Max Sepultura beats the crap out of Soulfly. but it seems like some people are fixated on the idea that Max was Sepultura when in fact the three remaining members had a larger input musically in Sepultura than Max.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2011 - 02:30
Rating: 6
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Meh.

I thought relentless was okay.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
01.07.2011 - 02:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2011 at 23:23
but it seems like some people are fixated on the idea that Max was Sepultura when in fact the three remaining members had a larger input musically in Sepultura than Max.

That's true, and not just musically... some of the best Seps songs had lyrics written by Andreas, like "Desperate Cry", "Altered State", and "Territory".

Actually, that whole "Max is Sepultura" thing is part of the reason that he ended up leaving. The other 3 members felt that Gloria was just promoting Max, and promoting the band as being him, so they wanted to fire her. Max obviously wasnt happy with them wanting rid of his wife, so off he went. lol I do wish Max had stayed in Sepultura, but they have made some good stuff with Derrick, especially "Roorback" and "Dante XII", which are actually pretty great albums, especially the latter one. xD
01.07.2011 - 02:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.07.2011 at 02:41

Actually, that whole "Max is Sepultura" thing is part of the reason that he ended up leaving. The other 3 members felt that Gloria was just promoting Max, and promoting the band as being him, so they wanted to fire her. Max obviously wasnt happy with them wanting rid of his wife, so off he went. lol I do wish Max had stayed in Sepultura, but they have made some good stuff with Derrick, especially "Roorback" and "Dante XII", which are actually pretty great albums, especially the latter one. xD

I'm completely ignorant here: What influence put Max's wife into Sepultura?
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.07.2011 - 03:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.07.2011 at 02:59

Max's wife Gloria was the band's manager.
01.07.2011 - 03:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.07.2011 at 03:04

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.07.2011 at 02:59

Max's wife Gloria was the band's manager.

Aw fuck so she went all Yoko Ono on the band?! fuck women... Ok have to fix that, sorry:
Fuck gfs that get in the fucking way.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.07.2011 - 03:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
@Mr. doc Gloria was Sepultura's manager. That's how she and Max met. But once they got into a relationship he kept her on instead finding a new manager.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2011 - 16:55
Hugoj33

Gaypultura
18.09.2011 - 23:18
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.06.2011 at 03:13

"...the last two albums Dante XXI and A-Lex were actually worth some time and gave back the Sepultura name some respect..."

If you thought those pieces of crap were any good and you gave this a 4, I'm thinking I don't even wanna waste my time checking it out even just so I can give it a low rating.

"A-Lex" was such an unlistenable piece of crap that if this album is much worse, I'll be sure to stay as far as possible from it.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
18.11.2011 - 04:40
sepulkisser

HAHAHA... This review makes me laugh!!!! Absolutely blinded by the past!

2 last albums was really AWESOME... because have an insane drummer like Jean Dolabella. That added the heavy side that Seps needed!!

Igor was tired to play heavy music and now he wants to become the best DJ on the world! And that's the real reason why he leaves Sepultura... The Cavalera Conspiracy project is only for money... no more! In fact, he doesn´t made music or lyrics... he only played that Max made!

Back to the review... KAIROS is a Metal Album. In the line of Chaos AD, or maybe better, because Chaos was written with a lot of hardcore influence!

The only problem here is that all the haters missing Max & Igor... And maybe you've got all the reason.
But the album is fucking insane!

And last but not least... I never liked Sepultura for Cavaleras, I was and I'm still fan of Andreas Kisser... The real spirit of the band!! And I'm very happy that he can demonstrate day by day a Brazilian Fans Quote: "WHO NEEDS CAVALERAS?"

Sepultura is Kisser... SEPULKISSER!!

P.D. For all the haters.... ¡¡¡É SEPULTURA CARALHO!!!
27.11.2011 - 01:00
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by sepulkisser on 18.11.2011 at 04:40

2 last albums was really AWESOME... because have an insane drummer like Jean Dolabella. That added the heavy side that Seps needed!!

Igor was tired to play heavy music and now he wants to become the best DJ on the world! And that's the real reason why he leaves Sepultura... The Cavalera Conspiracy project is only for money... no more! In fact, he doesn´t made music or lyrics... he only played that Max made!

Back to the review... KAIROS is a Metal Album. In the line of Chaos AD, or maybe better, because Chaos was written with a lot of hardcore influence!

The only problem here is that all the haters missing Max & Igor... And maybe you've got all the reason.

And last but not least... I never liked Sepultura for Cavaleras, I was and I'm still fan of Andreas Kisser... The real spirit of the band!! And I'm very happy that he can demonstrate day by day a Brazilian Fans Quote: "WHO NEEDS CAVALERAS?"

27.11.2011 - 01:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 27.11.2011 at 01:00
laugh harder

I've tried responding to him before but that video is honestly everything I wanted to say. Will be jacking that for future arguments as well, thanks.
----
27.11.2011 - 01:05
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2011 at 01:02

laugh harder

I've tried responding to him before but that video is honestly everything I wanted to say. Will be jacking that for future arguments as well, thanks.

Always happy to help.
26.12.2011 - 03:25
Rating: 8
A New Enemy

03.01.2012 - 18:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

when are they bringing that show back

as for the album, i can sum it up with two characters...

:/
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.01.2012 - 20:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

No idea who the drummer is on the last two albums but live it's the 20 year old Eloy Casagrande who is vastly superior to anything Igor could ever do. Live Sepultura nowadays is also vastly superiro than to what Sepultura live ever was with Max and Igor. I am sure Max is crying his eyes out that he could never even managed to get near to the live level of current day Sepultura
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 18082 | This month: 23