06. Children Of A Faceless God
07. When All Is Lost

Disc II
01. Electric Messiah
02. Prometheus (I Am Alive)
03. Light Up The Night
04. The Lords Of Chaos
05. Reign In Madness

After a run of hugely successful albums, Symphony X have the expectations of the world on them for the release of album number eight, a concept album on man's growing reliance on technology; Iconoclast. A trademark crushing Michael Romeo riff opens up the album bravely with the eleven-minute long title track.

Iconoclast is a culmination of elements from the band's history with a harder edge than before. Everything that made the last Symphony X albums so enjoyable can be found on here somewhere; the progressive dynamics, Romeo's masterful guitar riffs, or the voice of one of our generation's greatest metal singers. Russell Allen's singing is once again one of the most enjoyable aspects of Symphony X, although at various points he does emulate Ronnie Dio's mannerisms a little too closely.

Each song on the album brings a different element to the final piece, but the real magic happens mostly in the second half of the album. The hard-hitting "Heretic" brings the album to life, but the closing trio of "Electric Messiah", the infectious "Prometheus (I Am Alive)" and nine-minute epic "When All Is Lost" make for the most majestic closing a Symphony X album has ever had in absolutely stunning form.

Although the band made a conscious effort to make Iconoclast an accessible album, it is a progressive metal album of the highest quality at the end of the day - and they don't come readily accessible. Once again Symphony X show us how classy and professional they are; it won't be long before they are recognised as one of progressive metal's all-time finest. Unless that time has come right now with the release of Iconoclast.

--

Progressive metal
U.S.A.
Length: 1:02:54
Nuclear Blast

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 12.06.2011 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Symphony X returns after four years of absence. Iconoclast before the release was regarded as one of the most expected albums of the year. The confirmation of the new direction of the band, in my opinion, was one of my true concerns.

The album is divided in two CDs, the first one a more powerful, progressive, and strong style. For me the band is way better and feels more comfortable in this style. Every performance is really great, combining amazing vocal abilities, strong riffs and fast drum parts. The first CD starts with one of the best songs of the album, the homonymous "Iconoclast" with a great Russell Allen showing that he is one of the best metal singers nowadays. The opening song sets the tone for what comes next, probably the most enraged set of straight songs Symphony X had the talent to compose.

Read more ››
published 24.11.2011 | Comments (14)

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 113   Visited by: 832 users
15.06.2011 - 04:51
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Xtopher on 15.06.2011 at 04:39

If you check the SX forums you will find that the great majority thinks that this is an uninspired album with no heart...

No heart? Ouch. I think that's one of SX's strong points, thanks to Russell Allen. And personally, I think the vocals sound more heartfelt than Paradise Lost's. But eh, to each his own. I can imagine fans being severely disappointed with this release if they think this. :/
15.06.2011 - 05:00
Rating: 10
Xtopher
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 15.06.2011 at 04:51

Written by Xtopher on 15.06.2011 at 04:39

If you check the SX forums you will find that the great majority thinks that this is an uninspired album with no heart...

No heart? Ouch. I think that's one of SX's strong points, thanks to Russell Allen. And personally, I think the vocals sound more heartfelt than Paradise Lost's. But eh, to each his own. I can imagine fans being severely disappointed with this release if they think this. :/

Yeah, they actually are. Its very sad really because we all wanted so much more from a band that is our favorite one you know?
some cant believe the album is getting so high reviews if they even think this album is the worst of their catalog since the self-titled.
imagine that.

the phrase "sold out" has just appeared on the forums as well, so its getting pretty bad over there.
----
15.06.2011 - 05:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Xtopher on 15.06.2011 at 05:00

the phrase "sold out" has just appeared on the forums as well, so its getting pretty bad over there.

I think you're letting other peoples' opinions factor too much into your own.

But that's just my opinion.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.06.2011 - 05:24
Rating: 9
Mr.Wilson
Written by Wes on 15.06.2011 at 01:43

Worst review ever. This album is awful.. come on guys. The band has lost it.

I don't think so dude! the band is better than ever! i think they are evolving in a good direction! the riffs in this album is what Prog metal iss all about. if you were expecting some neo-classic stuff like the old days well..it's not going to happen! so go and listen to some Malmesteen or so!

One thing is not liking the album other is saying the band has lost it, because if you try to be fair you will recognize the effort and the quality it has...just saying...

Excelent Album
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
15.06.2011 - 05:31
Fat & Sassy!
elite

Well, that is just stupid. This album doesn't sound like anything but SX doing what they do best. They are pretty conservative with their sound. >_>

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.06.2011 at 05:15

I see what you did there, and I appreciate it.
15.06.2011 - 06:24
Hammer Pie
Well written review, but I'm shocked that an album this soulless, hollow and repetitive is getting hailed by anyone as a masterpiece.
15.06.2011 - 07:05
Xtopher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.06.2011 at 05:15

im just informing whats going on over there.
I already said i enjoy the new album unlike many of the core fans of the band, but agree with them in some things, like lyrics...
"hit the switch you son of a b!tch", oh come on!
----
15.06.2011 - 09:14
Rating: 8
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Hm, I don't get masturbating over V, too over-the-top and epic to fit my taste. It's awesome, yeah, but too much in one direction for such a versatile band. I've always considered The Odyssey to be their magnum opus, because 25 minutes of over-the-top epicness in shape of the title song is quite enough not to spoil the pleasure for me
----
7.0 means the album is good
15.06.2011 - 13:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Emm... out of the 12 songs on the album, only one is under 5 minutes long, and most are at least over 6 minutes. One is 12 minutes long, and two others are round the 9 minutes mark. ("When All Is Lost" is just over 9 minutes, and "Reign In Madness" is just under) And the album is a concept album. None of those things scream out to me "hey, lets write songs for tv and radio!" lol

Symphony X are a progressive metal band, and the new album does absolutely nothing except solidify that fact. Of course, people are free to dislike it if they wish, but to say they've "sold out" just shows the level of intelligence of those making that comment. Lots of ignorant people cry "sell out!" as soon as a band they love starts making music that they dont like. It's a lazy, and very overused term. As using it against "Iconoclast" is further proof of that. The band have had an aggressive side for most of their career (the intro/main riff to "Into The Dragon's Den" would fit right in with the more aggressive riffs in "Iconoclast" and "Paradise Lost"), the only difference now is, the aggressive style has been incorporated a lot more into their sound. But that doesn't mean that the more melodic side of the band has been ditched, far from it! Even in most of Iconoclast's heaviest moments, there is harmonies, huge memorable choruses, and lighter melodies mixed in with them. And Michael Pinnella's keyboard wizardry hasn't been held back at all, as he has significant parts in just about every song. xD So it's hardly as if they've totally ditched their old sound, and have become a thrash or a death band.

"When All Is Lost" is one of the most beautiful and atmospheric songs they've ever done, with Russell only using his sweeter, clean voice for just about the whole song. I love the old Symphony X, but their new stuff is just as awesome, albeit a little heavier overall, but their roots are still intact. The long songs, the captivating melodies, the amazing vocals of Russell Allen, and the neo-classicalisms of Michael Romeo are all very much still in the band's sound today.

The day they make an album where all the songs are under 5 minutes, have only one or two simplistic riffs in them, and Russell starts singing in a gabba or death metal style, then maybe you might have a point. Until that day comes, Symphony X are still now what they always have been, progressive metal! The new album is not a "sell out" in any shape, form, or way. The people who are saying that are simple minded, and don't know what they're talking about.
15.06.2011 - 14:42
RafaRata
9 for performances and production seems to low for me
15.06.2011 - 16:49
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Best album since V for me... I think they have finally got the production right, Odyssey had that weird drum sound, PL was too light in certain areas. An enjoyable listen from start to finish.
15.06.2011 - 17:23
Tetravirulence
Michael Pinnella is off on this album, last album great keyboards on Set the world on fire, Seven and so on but on this album Pinnella lost it although Romeo is still great and improvising and being the greatest Symphony X fan and been listening to all their albums throughout and note by note, this album lacks old form Symphony X
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
15.06.2011 - 17:39
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Wes on 15.06.2011 at 01:43

Worst review ever. This album is awful.. come on guys. The band has lost it.

Worst comment ever. This album is great... come on dude. The band is at the top of their game.
15.06.2011 - 18:47
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.06.2011 at 13:02

Emm... out of the 12 songs on the album, only one is under 5 minutes long, and most are at least over 6 minutes. One is 12 minutes long, and two others are round the 9 minutes mark. ("When All Is Lost" is just over 9 minutes, and "Reign In Madness" is just under) And the album is a concept album. None of those things scream out to me "hey, lets write songs for tv and radio!" lol

Symphony X are a progressive metal band, and the new album does absolutely nothing except solidify that fact. Of course, people are free to dislike it if they wish, but to say they've "sold out" just shows the level of intelligence of those making that comment. Lots of ignorant people cry "sell out!" as soon as a band they love starts making music that they dont like. It's a lazy, and very overused term. As using it against "Iconoclast" is further proof of that. The band have had an aggressive side for most of their career (the intro/main riff to "Into The Dragon's Den" would fit right in with the more aggressive riffs in "Iconoclast" and "Paradise Lost"), the only difference now is, the aggressive style has been incorporated a lot more into their sound. But that doesn't mean that the more melodic side of the band has been ditched, far from it! Even in most of Iconoclast's heaviest moments, there is harmonies, huge memorable choruses, and lighter melodies mixed in with them. And Michael Pinnella's keyboard wizardry hasn't been held back at all, as he has significant parts in just about every song. xD So it's hardly as if they've totally ditched their old sound, and have become a thrash or a death band.

"When All Is Lost" is one of the most beautiful and atmospheric songs they've ever done, with Russell only using his sweeter, clean voice for just about the whole song. I love the old Symphony X, but their new stuff is just as awesome, albeit a little heavier overall, but their roots are still intact. The long songs, the captivating melodies, the amazing vocals of Russell Allen, and the neo-classicalisms of Michael Romeo are all very much still in the band's sound today.

The day they make an album where all the songs are under 5 minutes, have only one or two simplistic riffs in them, and Russell starts singing in a gabba or death metal style, then maybe you might have a point. Until that day comes, Symphony X are still now what they always have been, progressive metal! The new album is not a "sell out" in any shape, form, or way. The people who are saying that are simple minded, and don't know what they're talking about.

Can not say it better =)
15.06.2011 - 22:14
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Xtopher on 15.06.2011 at 07:05

im just informing whats going on over there.
I already said i enjoy the new album unlike many of the core fans of the band, but agree with them in some things, like lyrics...
"hit the switch you son of a b!tch", oh come on!

Imo, SX has *never* had thought-provoking lyrics or anything. I mean, they sometimes paint some good imagery with their epics, but I don't see what the big deal is.

Oh, and this "Symphony X selling out" crap is bull.

"Boohoo, I don't like the album. Why is this? It can't just be my tastes! Something must be wrong with the band. They've sold out, because *I* am not pleased!"

How lame.
15.06.2011 - 22:46
Hammer Pie
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.06.2011 at 13:02

Of course, people are free to dislike it if they wish, but to say they've "sold out" just shows the level of intelligence of those making that comment. Lots of ignorant people cry "sell out!" as soon as a band they love starts making music that they dont like. It's a lazy, and very overused term. As using it against "Iconoclast" is further proof of that.

You can get upset and call people ignorant if you want, but those who say "sold out" do have a valid point. While Symphony X never really had great songwriting skills to begin with, they've dumbed things down significantly with their last two albums and dropped the neoclassical influence in favor of straightforward, commercial power metal with generic vocals and choir samples. This has won them greater mainstream appeal and a larger audience at the cost of alienating many of their old fans, which is where the "selling out" accusation comes from. If you like the new direction, that's fine, but claims of selling out are always going to accompany a change like this, and you'll have to learn to deal with it without getting angry and offended.
15.06.2011 - 23:21
Fat & Sassy!
elite
So people think Symphony X are out to "win" more fans by making their music more "accessible"? I used to think Symphony X had a pretty cool and level-headed fanbase for a metal band. Guess I have been proven wrong. *le sigh*
15.06.2011 - 23:22
Rating: 5
Wes
Written by Hammer Pie on 15.06.2011 at 06:24

Well written review, but I'm shocked that an album this soulless, hollow and repetitive is getting hailed by anyone as a masterpiece.

EXACTLY

This album, and Paradise Lost are just terribly uninspired.

4/10
16.06.2011 - 03:08
opeth771
I have found elements of all albums mixed into this one, I don't get why would people be upset. This is album is very good, but it is true that some riffs are repetitive and some songs are boring.

I don't see how The Odyssey or IV could ever be beaten.
16.06.2011 - 06:26
VanHelsing
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 15.06.2011 at 23:21

So people think Symphony X are out to "win" more fans by making their music more "accessible"? I used to think Symphony X had a pretty cool and level-headed fanbase for a metal band. Guess I have been proven wrong. *le sigh*

Every band has fans like that hah.

That said, I really enjoyed the album. Definitely one of the best releases of the year.
----
-V
16.06.2011 - 07:31
Stabby
Account deleted
Paradise Lost was better, but they bring something new to the table and I enjoyed it a lot.
16.06.2011 - 14:39
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Symphony X are a very intelligent band. They are aware that they can't produce album after album in the same style.
So they took a slight turn on "Paradise Lost", and followed that path, developing it even more, on "Iconoclast" - the latest release is a logical continuation of "PL" - harsher, heavier, but still retaining all the qualities of older SX releases.

It seems to me that all those who are so disappointed in the album are those who expect SX to churn out the same stuff over and over again. Guess what, after a few more albums similar to "V" you'd be complaining about stagnation and lack of new ideas. When you do get new ideas, you're not happy... It's up to you of course, and I respect your disappointment.
I for once understand and accept the changes the band made to their music. They don't want to do the same all the time. Their new sound is as fantastic as the old sound, and "Iconoclast", at least to these ears, is SX's best album since "V", hence their second best ever.

EDIT: I read somewhere here that SX's new release is a bow to wider audience, aimed at winning the charts. I don't know about others, but the heavier side of SX seems a lot less crowd-appealing to me...
16.06.2011 - 16:16
BlankFile
Written by Daniell on 16.06.2011 at 14:39

Symphony X are a very intelligent band. They are aware that they can't produce album after album in the same style.
So they took a slight turn on "Paradise Lost", and followed that path, developing it even more, on "Iconoclast" - the latest release is a logical continuation of "PL" - harsher, heavier, but still retaining all the qualities of older SX releases.

It seems to me that all those who are so disappointed in the album are those who expect SX to churn out the same stuff over and over again. Guess what, after a few more albums similar to "V" you'd be complaining about stagnation and lack of new ideas. When you do get new ideas, you're not happy... It's up to you of course, and I repect your disappointment.
I for once understand and accept the changes the band made to their music. They don't want to do the same all the time. Their new sound is as fantastic as the old sound, and "Iconoclast", at least to these ears, is SX's nest album since "V", hence their second best ever.

EDIT: I read somewhere here that SX's new release is a bow to wider audience, aimed at winning the charts. I don't know about others, but the heavier side of SX seems a lot less crowd-appealing to me...

I couldn´t agree more with you. I really think V is really a unique album in lots of aspects and almost impossible to surpass in my opinion. And of course is perfectly understandable that the band wanted to make a change after that release. In The Odissey we can see that change already, altough not clearly enough, only to be confirmed in Paradise Lost. Iconoclast follows the vibe of PL, and in my opinion is a great release. I think it has one or two inconsistencies, but in general is a grandious SX release. It has lots of tecnichal and heavy riffs, great solos and choruses, wonderful vocals as usual and spectacular production. In a way i understand some of the older fans dissapointment, because they wanted SX to release similar albums like V, but in other hand you have to understand that´s not an easy task for a band to play the same style of sound every time. SX felt that they were needing a slight change in their style, and i think it turned out really good.
For me the highlights in Iconoclast are: Iconoclast, Heretic, Electric Messiah, When All is Lost and Prometheus (I´m Alive).
16.06.2011 - 22:07
Rating: 8
Milena
gloom cookie
staff

It's a bit proggier than PL, and also, you can hear a lot of influences in one song, while Paradise Lost was more in style of 'one song contains mixes of a couple of styles, the second song contains some other two vibes' etc. Blah, my communication skills suck today -.-
----
7.0 means the album is good
16.06.2011 - 23:51
Glabrezu
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.06.2011 at 14:22

Written by Daniell on 13.06.2011 at 14:11

So how do you know if you haven't listened yet? What does it say about your assessment of the album if you judged it before hearing it?

I think it says that he doesn't believe anything they release will trump V, given that it's probably one of his favorite albums.

Exactly

I also preordered Iconoclast without hearing it, I trust in MS reviews and I trust in Symphony X!!

Hails!!
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
17.06.2011 - 15:14
MechanisT
Account deleted

It seems to me that all those who are so disappointed in the album are those who expect SX to churn out the same stuff over and over again. Guess what, after a few more albums similar to "V" you'd be complaining about stagnation and lack of new ideas. When you do get new ideas, you're not happy... It's up to you of course, and I respect your disappointment.
I for once understand and accept the changes the band made to their music. They don't want to do the same all the time. Their new sound is as fantastic as the old sound, and "Iconoclast", at least to these ears, is SX's best album since "V", hence their second best ever.

Absolutely spot on, my friend.
In addition, I'd just like to say that the change in music is pretty minimal to my ears. it's not like they ditched their trademark sound in order to pursue something absolutely new. That's relieving to say the least. The new Symphony X is heavier, no doubt, but it still carries the soul of its past in exemplary fashion.
20.06.2011 - 01:57
evoola
This shit makes Enslaved look like gay Muppets at recess. American metal dominates once again.
20.06.2011 - 02:06
(((O)))
I can feel the presence of ponderer.
20.06.2011 - 03:08
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by (((O))) on 20.06.2011 at 02:06

Now what would make you say that?

On subject, a concept album about gay Muppets at recess sounds a lot more interesting than an album about machines taking over the world. >:[ At least it'd be original.
20.06.2011 - 09:12
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by (((O))) on 20.06.2011 at 02:06

You're spot on my friend.

Hits total: 25651 | This month: 33