06. Children Of A Faceless God
07. When All Is Lost

Disc II
01. Electric Messiah
02. Prometheus (I Am Alive)
03. Light Up The Night
04. The Lords Of Chaos
05. Reign In Madness

After a run of hugely successful albums, Symphony X have the expectations of the world on them for the release of album number eight, a concept album on man's growing reliance on technology; Iconoclast. A trademark crushing Michael Romeo riff opens up the album bravely with the eleven-minute long title track.

Iconoclast is a culmination of elements from the band's history with a harder edge than before. Everything that made the last Symphony X albums so enjoyable can be found on here somewhere; the progressive dynamics, Romeo's masterful guitar riffs, or the voice of one of our generation's greatest metal singers. Russell Allen's singing is once again one of the most enjoyable aspects of Symphony X, although at various points he does emulate Ronnie Dio's mannerisms a little too closely.

Each song on the album brings a different element to the final piece, but the real magic happens mostly in the second half of the album. The hard-hitting "Heretic" brings the album to life, but the closing trio of "Electric Messiah", the infectious "Prometheus (I Am Alive)" and nine-minute epic "When All Is Lost" make for the most majestic closing a Symphony X album has ever had in absolutely stunning form.

Although the band made a conscious effort to make Iconoclast an accessible album, it is a progressive metal album of the highest quality at the end of the day - and they don't come readily accessible. Once again Symphony X show us how classy and professional they are; it won't be long before they are recognised as one of progressive metal's all-time finest. Unless that time has come right now with the release of Iconoclast.

--

Progressive metal
U.S.A.
Length: 1:02:54
Nuclear Blast

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 12.06.2011 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Symphony X returns after four years of absence. Iconoclast before the release was regarded as one of the most expected albums of the year. The confirmation of the new direction of the band, in my opinion, was one of my true concerns.

The album is divided in two CDs, the first one a more powerful, progressive, and strong style. For me the band is way better and feels more comfortable in this style. Every performance is really great, combining amazing vocal abilities, strong riffs and fast drum parts. The first CD starts with one of the best songs of the album, the homonymous "Iconoclast" with a great Russell Allen showing that he is one of the best metal singers nowadays. The opening song sets the tone for what comes next, probably the most enraged set of straight songs Symphony X had the talent to compose.

Read more ››
published 24.11.2011 | Comments (14)

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 113   Visited by: 832 users
20.06.2011 - 11:39
Slayer666
Written by evoola on 20.06.2011 at 01:57

This shit makes Enslaved look like gay Muppets at recess. American metal dominates once again.

Oh, hi there ponderer. I didn't recognize ya with the sex change and all. How have you been doing, mate? I've missed you a lot.
20.06.2011 - 14:42
Raziel X
Written by Hammer Pie on 15.06.2011 at 22:46

Written by Angelic Storm on 15.06.2011 at 13:02

Of course, people are free to dislike it if they wish, but to say they've "sold out" just shows the level of intelligence of those making that comment. Lots of ignorant people cry "sell out!" as soon as a band they love starts making music that they dont like. It's a lazy, and very overused term. As using it against "Iconoclast" is further proof of that.

You can get upset and call people ignorant if you want, but those who say "sold out" do have a valid point. While Symphony X never really had great songwriting skills to begin with, they've dumbed things down significantly with their last two albums and dropped the neoclassical influence in favor of straightforward, commercial power metal with generic vocals and choir samples. This has won them greater mainstream appeal and a larger audience at the cost of alienating many of their old fans, which is where the "selling out" accusation comes from. If you like the new direction, that's fine, but claims of selling out are always going to accompany a change like this, and you'll have to learn to deal with it without getting angry and offended.

Commercial power metal/generic vocals dude are you reading what you type? Does this sound any close to Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Gamma Ray, or any stuff like that (not saying those bands are bad, but they have their share of generic moments)? Is this some double bass drumming fest with harmonized instruments for most part or Allen singing like his balls are in a clamp? They got mainstream appeal because they worked hard and after long years they reached some. And as for "old fans", if we look at them from narrower perspective, old fans are never going to like a new direction, no matter if it is good or not cos it is different from what they are used to.

I wont go calling ppl ignorant or so, but it would be nice if they did give it proper share of listens without having bias before first song is done, and stop making judgements after first minute and jumping right into using terms "commercial" or "sold out".

My opinion is that they kinda took PL sound and polished it using some elements from earlier albums, and added some new heaviness and stuff into it. Not a revolution, but IMO an evolution in the right direction.
20.06.2011 - 15:23
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
The fact that some people consider this 'commercial' is ludicrous.
20.06.2011 - 16:04
Rating: 8
Warman
Erotic Stains
I gotta listen to this one!
----
20.06.2011 - 16:42
Rating: 10
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Raziel X on 20.06.2011 at 14:42

And as for "old fans", if we look at them from narrower perspective, old fans are never going to like a new direction, no matter if it is good or not cos it is different from what they are used to.

I agree 100%. This is also true about any band and any album that is something different.

Written by Raziel X on 20.06.2011 at 14:42

I wont go calling ppl ignorant or so, but it would be nice if they did give it proper share of listens without having bias before first song is done, and stop making judgements after first minute and jumping right into using terms "commercial" or "sold out".

Careful mate Whenever I say what you said here, and I say it a lot since I also think that poeple don't really listen to stuff before bashing it, I get attacked
20.06.2011 - 16:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by R'Vannith on 20.06.2011 at 15:23

The fact that some people consider this 'commercial' is ludicrous.

Exactly. I fail to see how this album is any more "commercial" than anything they've done before. As I said before, there's no two ways about it, the new album is progressive metal, the genre that they've always been. If they are "commercial" now, that must mean that they always have been. You can say you don't like it, and that it's not a good album, thats fine, as its just an opinion that everyone entitled to. But saying they've "sold out" is like trying to state a fact, when it's not true in the slightest.

lol @Ponderer:
20.06.2011 - 23:52
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
If a band releases something that is not 100% of what people want it to be, they will call it one of 3 things: sell-out, commercial, or shit. Usually halfway through their first (and last) listen.
There, I did it again.
22.06.2011 - 06:14
BloodFireDeath
I don't really think this is a very commercial release. The songwriting is tighter and more cohesive which could give the impression of accessability. Now remember these boys are musical giants of thought and prowess. What may be commercial to them could be deep and ornamented to us. I am adjusting to the new sound but honestly I am glad that SX has evovled to a point where they have made themselves a standout band from all else. I really enjoy the concept of the album as well. It really feels like machines and a dystopic society.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
22.06.2011 - 07:00
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
This review describes the album as 'accessible' and I agree with this but I think this may be an ambiguous term to use. As I understand it 'accessible' means music which draws on the best elements of the bands sound and places emphasis on these while leaving out other elements. This is basically simplifying the bands sound so that it may appeal to a wider fan-base. For me at least this album has everything which is good about the bands sound, while leaving out new or additional elements.
This may seem to be contradictory to the label of 'Progressive' but this album builds on the best elements of Symphony X's sound and in this sense I guess it can be called 'Progressive'.
I think this is where this ridiculous idea that the album is 'commercial' is coming from. The fact that the album doesn't bring in new elements to their sound and focus on enhancing what made their sound so good on previous albums, this to me means that the album is more 'accessible'. The idea that this music is 'commercial' comes from an inability to distinguish this from what is 'accessible'. When the reviewer says that the band are attempting to make 'Iconoclast and accessible album' this doesn't mean 'commercial' at all.
Simply because this album is perhaps more streamlined than previous ones doesn't make it 'commercial', the band are deliberately focusing on what they think their fans like about their music. Sure you might prefer the sound the band had on earlier albums, like the neo-classical touches, but simply because this album lacks these elements doesn't make it 'commercial' in any way.

In any case this is a solid album
22.06.2011 - 20:53
Raziel X
Written by BloodFireDeath on 22.06.2011 at 06:14

I don't really think this is a very commercial release. The songwriting is tighter and more cohesive which could give the impression of accessability. Now remember these boys are musical giants of thought and prowess. What may be commercial to them could be deep and ornamented to us. I am adjusting to the new sound but honestly I am glad that SX has evovled to a point where they have made themselves a standout band from all else. I really enjoy the concept of the album as well. It really feels like machines and a dystopic society.

"Accessible" / "commercial"... ooofff... well, thats something that could be said about most of stuff that blends power, neoclassical and prog metal. If we call this prog power metal, then prog power metal takes the complexity of prog metal while giving it seemingly more accessible sound... pretty much every prog power metal band is more accessible, but srsly, are you going to call bands like Anubis Gate, late Angra, Dreamscape and such bands "commercial" because of that? dont make me laugh ))

when lady gaga does manage to play the simplest solo from this album on guitar, then I will admit this is commercial
24.06.2011 - 11:11
BloodFireDeath
Written by Raziel X on 22.06.2011 at 20:53

"Accessible" / "commercial"... ooofff... well, thats something that could be said about most of stuff that blends power, neoclassical and prog metal. If we call this prog power metal, then prog power metal takes the complexity of prog metal while giving it seemingly more accessible sound... pretty much every prog power metal band is more accessible, but srsly, are you going to call bands like Anubis Gate, late Angra, Dreamscape and such bands "commercial" because of that? dont make me laugh ))

when lady gaga does manage to play the simplest solo from this album on guitar, then I will admit this is commercial

So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? I do say that you are right. Blending certain genres can make a winning combination of great music in the world of metal especially.
----
25.06.2011 - 00:32
thehondo
Written by evoola on 20.06.2011 at 01:57

This shit makes Enslaved look like gay Muppets at recess. American metal dominates once again.

pahaha! Dude...you just made my day! Thats friggin hilarious! I just listened to the whole thing all the way thru for the fist time. Oh.....my.......GOD!!! Ladies and Gentlemen, we may have the new kings of Progressive Heavy Metal.
----
No time like the present
26.06.2011 - 06:37
Soulhole
Quote:
Quote:

pahaha! Dude...you just made my day! Thats friggin hilarious! I just listened to the whole thing all the way thru for the fist time. Oh.....my.......GOD!!! Ladies and Gentlemen, we may have the new kings of Progressive Heavy Metal.

New kings? They ARE kings.
26.06.2011 - 06:49
Soulhole
The Odyssey still F&*%$ all my holes...
26.06.2011 - 08:11
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Finally managed to give it a couple of listens, I loved it, solid album
28.06.2011 - 17:53
Raziel X
Written by BloodFireDeath on 24.06.2011 at 11:11

Written by Raziel X on 22.06.2011 at 20:53

So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? I do say that you are right. Blending certain genres can make a winning combination of great music in the world of metal especially.

I am agreeing with you while making a point of disagreement at one or couple previous comments of someone else who said this is commercial etc
29.06.2011 - 10:01
BloodFireDeath
Ahhh ok. Yes I have digested the music of this album and I have to say the "accessable" elements of the album lie in the choruses which I must say takes away much of the edge of a symphony x album.
----
29.06.2011 - 11:10
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Do you mean they're too catchy or something? It's funny that you say that. The "catchiest" moment in the history of Symhony X, by far, it the glorious ending part of "The Odyssey", starting with the words "Triumphant, champion of Ithaca...". I doubt you would say that that song is "without edge" due to it's chorus.
I've been listening to Symphony X a lot recently - what better reason to go back to old releases than a new release? In my opinion, what they did on "Paradise Lost", and continued on "Iconoclast" is the only logical thing they could have done. Just look at it. "The Odyssey" (at least the normal edition that I own) ends with the monstrous, 24-minutes-long title track. It contains everything that Symphony X have ever done: metal, neoclassical elements, progressive parts, fantastic vocals, solos - all alloyed into absolute perfection. When the song ends, you might as well pierce your eardrums, because you're highly unlikely to hear anything better in the field of progressive metal.

So the question is - where does a band go after such a crowning accomplishment? Do they try to surpass it? It's virtually impossible. So they made the only sensible decision - instead of rehashing their own ideas and re-recording the same songs under different titles, they decided to switch to something different. "Paradise Lost" was the first step, "Iconoclast" is the second. The music is less complicated? Of course! How the hell were they supposed to make it even more complicated than "The Odyssey"? Make an hour long song with more parts? They realized that it'd be pointless, so they did what they did. And they did it in style - "Iconoclast" is utterly briilliant. Not up to your expectations - I understand and respect it, but it's still fantastic music. You'll see it when you look at it without bias caused by what YOU want to hear as opposed to what THE BAND is proposing this time. I'm sure you can do it
29.06.2011 - 23:53
BlankFile
This album is another spectacular release of SX. Period.
05.07.2011 - 08:10
Hammer Pie
Written by Daniell on 29.06.2011 at 11:10

So the question is - where does a band go after such a crowning accomplishment? Do they try to surpass it? It's virtually impossible. So they made the only sensible decision - instead of rehashing their own ideas and re-recording the same songs under different titles, they decided to switch to something different. "Paradise Lost" was the first step, "Iconoclast" is the second. The music is less complicated? Of course! How the hell were they supposed to make it even more complicated than "The Odyssey"?

Awww, don't be upset. Honestly, Symphony X hasn't made a good album since Divine Wings of Tragedy, but I guess if you really liked the Odyssey I can understand how you'd enjoy this.
05.07.2011 - 11:08
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I'm not upset

Since Divine Wings you say? I'd say 99,9% of fans will disagree.
05.07.2011 - 16:27
Bart Simpson
I love it when at least one staff member at MS finally comes to his or her senses and does an honest review. It's about time. Not that Baz has ever let anyone down

Symphony X has never needed to dye their hair, wear eyeliner, or sacrifice animals onstage to produce heavier and heavier music each offering. Their level of musical prowess puts pretty much everything else in the same category to shame with few exceptions. American prog metal is without any doubt the heaviest, most talented music on the planet. Hail the return of Symphony X!
05.07.2011 - 23:05
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Bart Simpson on 05.07.2011 at 16:27

I love it when at least one staff member at MS finally comes to his or her senses and does an honest review.

Yeah, like 100% of the time on this site? >_>
07.07.2011 - 13:04
Bart Simpson
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.07.2011 at 23:05

I love it when at least one staff member at MS finally comes to his or her senses and does an honest review.

Like rarely since the makeup wearing Eurotards have taken over this site.
07.07.2011 - 15:22
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Bart Simpson on 07.07.2011 at 13:04

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.07.2011 at 23:05

My fine-tuned nose is starting to smell a familiar reek...
07.07.2011 - 16:58
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Bart Simpson on 07.07.2011 at 13:04

We may be wearing make-up, but at least we know how to keep the sand out of our vagina... Learn from it.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
07.07.2011 - 22:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I am now adding Ponderer/alt account whining about factually incorrect shit to the drinking game. as well as us banning him.

he is the kenny to this site's south park. he keeps resurfacing, mumbling something incoherent, and getting blown up.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.07.2011 - 00:36
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Oh, how obvious. I should have known. =_= le sigh... *facepalms*
14.07.2011 - 02:19
Winterthrone
Yeah right! Commercial lol...Songs lasting over 5 minutes blending elements of Metal, Progressive rock, neoclassical and more aren't what I call Commercial and POnderer, lolk, you make my day...The point is I like both Enslaved and SX for different reasons you are truly one immature asshole nhot able to accept others musical tastes. Get a life man! Oh and if you watch my profile pictures you'll see I wear makeup too and I'm not European, I'm from Quebec...lol
14.07.2011 - 09:24
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
He can't read your words, at least until he makes another account that we will ban anyway.

Hits total: 25657 | This month: 39