04. Blades For Baal
05. I Am Morbid
06. 10 More Dead
07. Destructos VS The Earth / Attack
08. Nevermore
09. Beauty Meets Beast
10. Radikult
11. Profundis - Mea Culpa

More than any other release in recent times, Morbid Angel's Illud Divinum Insanus has polarized our staff members. As anyone familiar with these Floridian death metal forefathers knows, they just came back from a long 8 year absence with a new album that also features their original vocalist, David Vincent, for the first time in 16 years. Due to the notability of this release, we decided to create a collaborative review, which gives all of the staff members to voice their opinions. Here they are, ranging from most negative to quite positive.

jupitreas:

I think there is really only one lesson to be learned from Morbid Angel's latest magnum anus and it is that... Gen, David Vincent's wife, must give a wicked blowjob. If you've ever heard her crappy band Genitorturers, you'd immediately notice that her hubby's band's attempt at inane industrial metal is just a bad copy of an already shitty derivative. Don't get me wrong, I really love the idea that an established band such as Morbid Angel should surprise all of their dumb orthodox fans with a left-field release. But not if they are so shit at it. Besides those awful, stale and flat industrial metal tracks, Illud Divinum Insanus is populated with extremely mediocre death metal that continuously insults the listener's intelligence with inane lyrics and cliche musical passages. Truly, the only impressive thing about this album is its intense Nefilim-style album artwork, the rest of the band's inspiration must have gone down Gen's throat.

Troy Gallant:

Morbid Angel. That name should mean something to you if you consider yourself a metalhead. Altars Of Madness, pioneers of death metal, Trey Azagthoth. Prior to 2011, the worst they could do was Heretic. On June 6th, 2011, everything the metal community knew about this timeless act became a lie. Crushing innovative extreme metal riffing devolved into a "metallic" attempt at covering "Be My Lover". David Vincent's harsh mumbling all but asserts the audience that his talents are waning along with the rest of the band. Rob Zombie actually gained credibility as a musician. Marilyn Manson actually gained credibility as a man! Somewhere in the distance, Till Lindemann can be heard laughing at all the true crusaders. Somewhere further back legions of death metal fans can be seen on their computers purchasing the FutureSex/LoveSounds deluxe edition because iTunes recommends JT as a similar artist. This shit is more viral than "Friday"; and yes, Morbid Angel are well aware of what day comes after...wards. KILL A COP!

DerRozzengarten:

It's been done before by many bands. In one hand common and cheap electronics blend with second league death metal, on the other... Morbid Angel try to make us believe that Illud Divinum Insanus is "Too Extreme!" Well, it is? not. And this song has to be one ugly motherfucker that makes you think your CD player has spikes and lags big time. Concerning the album in general, it's groovy, kind of dynamic, blending a deflowered Morbid Angel sense with mechanical vibes, it's funny and cool to listen to, unless it's not a Morbid Angel one. But it is, damn. A mediocre and funny to hang around buddy that you won't remember after brave doses of alcohol , but he'll be somewhere around. Feeling already genitortured? Then kill a cop! Or Marilyn Manson.

Barry Anderson:

Disappointment from an album is only possible when expectations for it are high. The release of the new Morbid Angel album had been put back so many times over the years that expectations had been subtly lowered, thus resulting in my experience of Illud Divinum Insanus to be one without the expectation of it being a new classic, but rather out of morbid curiosity. Regardless of being a massive Morbid Angel fan, I couldn't help but find this new album bizarrely addictive at first, but after the gimmick wore off I am left with an album albeit enjoyable, with no staying power in the long run.

Bittercold:

"Frankly I'm not sure what the big deal is. If it wasn't Morbid Angel, I don't think anyone would care. The warning signs were all there... their prior album Heretic was mediocre and the worst in their discography. This thing took the better part of a century to record. To me it just sounds like a mediocre continuation of their last album with David Vincent ("10 More Dead" is "Where The Slime Live MMXI"... ) with some oddball tracks. Ok, so they are nothing particularly special or experimental... Radish Kult's lyrics are laughable and "Destructo" sounds like Trey wrote the theme song to an Anime show that does not yet exist. The album isn't that good, but it really isn't that bad, either. It's meh. But let's face it, they are a legendary band returning after a long hiatus, so no matter what they came out with, people were bound to overreact one way or another. The biggest disappointment was the lack of Morbid Angel's infamous, zany liner notes."

Darkside Momo:

Be it as it may, I'm a huge fan of death mixed with industrial, so I'm quite easily drawn to the indus tracks. But, my oh my, "Too Extreme" is fucking boring, there's no soul, no energy, nothing. Too Extreme Boredom indeed. "Destructos", if you forget the lame name, is infinitely better (and maybe Mr Coldy is right with his 'anime soundtrack' idea). And, yes, "Radikult". Well, I'll just say that when I manage to ignore the lyrics, I kinda like the track.
The death songs are a mixed bag as well. Many people seem to like "I Am Morbid" or "10 More Dead", but I'm usually bored before the track ends. "Blades For Baal" is another matter, really, and the album's highlight as far as I'm concerned.
Also, no one really mentioned the drums. The insanely boring, mechanical, soulless drummer. Tim "The Missile" Yeung could as easily be replaced by a drum machine, we wouldn't hear any difference. Or maybe that's because of the over-slick production by Erik Rutan?
Oh, and did I mention that, while I understand the outrage, I'm not one of you? No, I'm not a lifelong MA fan. Shame on me. And While I hugely respect the band (and somehow still do), I only a like a few songs here and there. So, guess what? There's no difference, in the end.

Mr. Doctor:

It's definitely NOT a good album... But it's not completely awful either. I don't mind experimentation at all but only when it's done well. Morbid Angel couldn't make this whole "industrial/death metal" concept work at all if we look at the great picture. I have to admit that I enjoy some moments from time to time but it's only because of the huge feeling of the album being "so bad that is good"... Like a shitty horror B-movie. Some death tracks aren't a completely a waste of time... I believe songs like "Existo Vulgore" and "Nevermore" really work if only they were a bit more aggressive and with a more ambitious songwriting (this last thing is something the album lacks a lot IMO).
The reason to why the fans are overreacting is understandable. No matter if the album was good or bad, the fans would exaggerate to epic proportions. Morbid Angel released an album after 8 long years. The possibility of failure was right there... But the music being completely different of what they used to make AND being bad at it feels like a double failure for the fans, giving them more reasons to bash it completely.

daniell_p

It would seem that people's expectations about music are directly proportionate to time. The longer the wait for an album, the more people expect of it. It would seem that an 8 year hiatus somehow obliged Morbid Angel (at least in the eyes and ears of the fans) to make a groundbreaking masterpiece that would re-define death metal, metal in general, and maybe even the music in general. It was supposed to be better than Black Sabbath, Slayer, Death and Nile put together! I'd say this is the main reason why fans are so disappointed with the album. They expected too much.
Another reason is that some of the songs on Illud Divinum Insanus are actually pretty bad. I can't imagine anything that would defend songs like "Too Extreme!", "Destructos..." and "Mea Culpa". Especially the first one easily ranks among the worst fucking shitty sound bits that ever saw the light of day. On the other hand, many other songs on this album (the more "traditional" ones) are actually very decent, even excellent - "I Am Morbid", "10 More Dead" stand out the most. All in all, Illud Divinum Insanus is a good release on the traditional side, but it fails miserably on the experimental side. It depends on a listener which side he will let prevail.

Richard:

It's too early for me to give a definite opinion, but I've found myself going back to some of these songs quite a lot already - originally from 'morbid' curiosity at how unexpected it was, but gradually they become more appealing with more listens. Sure, there's some shockingly non-'traditional' sounding stuff on the new album - but MA have always experimented to some extent. Domination used to get slagged off by some people saying it was too commercial, that some bits sounded like Pantera, and such like - and even the masterpiece Blessed are the Sick received negative criticism from some due to having a few 'different' songs.

Oh, and he's blatantly saying "killer cult", not "kill a cop", for pity's sake! Just goes to show that some people aren't bothering to listen to it properly!

Thryce:

What some of you don't see is that, at least from a business point of view, releasing a boundary-pushing beast of an album like Insanus makes perfect sense. Think about it. Those ABC albums may have been way ahead of their time and flat-out bitching and all, but it pretty much went downhill from there. So, after some mediocre releases and eight years of silence, how do you (as in: first-waver defending your reputation as 'notorious' death metal act) stay relevant in an overly saturated scene with countless of copycats that do exactly the same and in some cases even better than you (think Deicide or Arsis)?

Answer: you strategically differentiate yourself from the pack. Not by living up to the ridiculously high expectations set forth by elitist metal douches roaming internet forums all day, but by doing something interesting for a change. Y'know, experiment a bit, let the creative juices flow (like Paradise Lost or Darkthrone did). Until you get a sky-melting mix of influences that range from old school death metal to cutting-edge extreme indus metal (perhaps a bit too extreme though). Unlike you, Morbid Angel stopped being stuck in the past and modernized their shit, setting new standards for the next generation of death metal bands to come. Elitist haters gonna hate.

Written on 13.06.2011 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 60   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 985 users
13.06.2011 - 03:52
Void Eater
Account deleted
It's not the fact that they experimented that makes it bad, it's the fact that the entire album comes off as extremly bland. The death metal songs are all boring and generic, and the 'experimental' stuff just sounds half assed like Rob Zombie b-sides. Too Extreme in particular is dreadfully boring. At least Blades for Baal is good, and hell Destructos is decent for what it is.

Also, it seems like Thryce cares far more about how modern and 'with the times' music is than the quality of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwLZVrKECcs
13.06.2011 - 04:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Personally I can't wait to get stomping to Radikult at my local metal club
13.06.2011 - 05:19
wormdrink414

Probably the best way to handle a review for this.
13.06.2011 - 05:22
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Too Extreme?

I Am Morbid?

Beauty Meets Beast?

What the Fuck is wrong with Morbid Angel, i got turned-off by the track titles even before i started listening to the album, and you guessed it, after listening only got more disgusted.

This is a piece of shit not worth wasting your money on !
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
13.06.2011 - 06:44
Rating: 4
HellHammerBR

There´s no excuse to release a crap like that. How Pete let it happen?? If there´s no good ideas to record, do not! We would wait one more year. More two. Why some bands do not loose their essence? Their brutality? Maybe because the play what they like, they sound like they seem to understand that is agressive, cool and nasty to their metaleers ears... It´s simple. Pete, you must honor your metal deeds, you must honor your legacy spanking the drums, don´t let a stupid member fuck your honor with your fans. Light and small electronic passages, backgrounds, ok, we let it pass, but PLEASE, don´t do like Samael. Blast beats and lots of double bass, naturals, painfull, please.
13.06.2011 - 08:41
BudDa

I don't mind this album. Its not as terrible as alot of people make it out to be. Compared to Altars of Madness is falls short..but its ok. Its an average album
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
13.06.2011 - 15:14
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by Guest on 13.06.2011 at 03:52

Also, it seems like Thryce cares far more about how modern and 'with the times' music is than the quality of it.

Why would I even want to care about discussing the quality of an album that is so 'controversial' everybody and their dog are bound to have a different opinion about it? Just pointing out there's a different angle from where releasing such an album makes perfect sense.

And yes, modern shit is usually more interesting. Because it still has some fresh taste, bite and the ability to stick on your shoes. Old shit is mostly fossilized and boring.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
13.06.2011 - 17:01
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Death metal, (along with Melodeath (or whatever it's called) and power metal) seems to be the most exhausted sub-genre of metal. The so-called brutal death bands sound like machines that churn out sounds that are mathematically correct, but have no feeling or soul whatsoever. Pushing death metal towards some techno bullshit is even worse. That's probably why I see the "experimental" tracks on IDI as such huge failures.
13.06.2011 - 17:37
Tetravirulence

Looks like Trey Azagthoth wrote the songs for himself, MA is not fans band anymore. Also when Blessed Are The Sick came out ppl hated it like crazy after Altars but then after one year ppl started to realize the album and appreciated it much better
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
13.06.2011 - 18:54
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
I wasn't disappointed by the wait per se. In fact, as a relatively new metal fan I can honestly say that I was only aware of Morbid Angel about...4 years ago (and only in passing). When I experienced MA later and saw Morbid Angel had a new album coming out just last year, I was pumped.

Unfortunately, it really IS as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Bland. Terrible lyrics. Boring drums. Maybe one or two redeeming riffs in the whole record.
13.06.2011 - 20:29
Rating: 6
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Tetravirulence on 13.06.2011 at 17:37

Looks like Trey Azagthoth wrote the songs for himself, MA is not fans band anymore.

Usually being a "fans' band" instead of using music as a means of artistic expression is called being commercial...

Not saying that this album is any good though. It isn't. Whoever claims that Morbid Angel tried to push some boundaries here, hasn't been aware of bands like The Monolith Deathcult, The CNK or Tristwood who have excelled in creating industrial-tinged extreme metal in the last few years.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
13.06.2011 - 22:33
Rating: 9
Kub

Err... How moronic can you be to mistake "KillerKult" with "Kill a cop"?...
13.06.2011 - 23:04
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Kub on 13.06.2011 at 22:33

It is an understandable mistake. Not only does it really sound like he's saying that, but once you get to that song on the album, you've had such mind-numbingly boring and retarded music and lyrics shit into your ears, it makes it much more believable that he is in fact saying "kill a cop".
13.06.2011 - 23:09
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 13.06.2011 at 23:04

Written by Kub on 13.06.2011 at 22:33

It is an understandable mistake. Not only does it really sound like he's saying that, but once you get to that song on the album, you've had such mind-numbingly boring and retarded music and lyrics shit into your ears, it makes it much more believable that he is in fact saying "kill a cop".

Agreed. I still hear it as "kill a cop."
14.06.2011 - 02:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
"kill a cop" is the metal "wrapped up like a douche"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.06.2011 - 10:17
c.metallerstein

I Just wanna Ask Morbid Angel Somthin: HAVE YOU LISTENED TO THIS SHIT BEFORE U RELEASED IT ??!!!!!!

and after so many years.................. WTF is this??????? i think morbid angel fans might find that Korn is more extreme and interesting and more professional than this.........
i think I'm going to start listening to three days grace , Evanescence and Rebbecca black .......better than this shit!!!!!!
SWITCH!!! SWITCH!!! SWITCH!!! SWITCH!!! SWITCH!!! SWITCH!!! SWITCH!!! SWITCH!!! SWITCH!!! SWITCH!!!
14.06.2011 - 10:31
Daniell
_爱情_
Take a chill pill dude. It's only music.
14.06.2011 - 12:37
Papanilala

I don't mind experimentation at all. I remember how Celtic Frost's experimental album got such bad critics...whereas looking back it was a prefectly enjoyable album that set new standards for the scene. The new MA just doesn't set new standards...it's a bad mix of music that was fresh 10 years ago. I understand the need for a band to grow. No musician/artist wants to repeat him/herself. Drudkh, Lifelover, Burzum, Shining all bands that changed their music over time. The latest MA album doesn't set new standards and is not brilliantly experimental...it's an abomination. Just wait and see how MA will keep bringing up excuses for this record 10 years from now.
14.06.2011 - 12:52
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Well, I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but this album sounds so boring. And when I hear some riff that reminds me of their old stuff it makes the experience even worse. Maybe it's just my personal impression but it seems like an experimentation for the sake of experimentation...
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
14.06.2011 - 13:07
Rating: 3
Warman
Erotic Stains
Don't know what to think after the review really, I guess I actually have to listen to it myself. Morbid Angel was one of the bands which got me into metal. No expectations for this one though.
----
14.06.2011 - 14:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Papanilala on 14.06.2011 at 12:37

Drudkh, Lifelover, Burzum, Shining all bands that changed their music over time.

Morbid Angel isn't a black metal band; that kind of experimentation is easier within the black metal genre.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.06.2011 - 14:39
Baz Anderson

I heard "killer carp" or "kill a carp" the first time I heard it...
14.06.2011 - 17:00
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Thryce actually said something.
----
14.06.2011 - 18:19
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Wasn't there a similar reaction when Paradise Lost released Symbol Of Life?
14.06.2011 - 18:57
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Introspekrieg on 14.06.2011 at 18:19

Wasn't there a similar reaction when Paradise Lost released Symbol Of Life?

Nope, by the time they released Symbol Of Life all the dumb orthodox fans were long gone. It was One Second and Host that scared them off. The difference here is that those Paradise Lost albums are great and this is shit.
14.06.2011 - 19:12
fabregassed
Account deleted
I'd take this album over the rest of their discography ( excluding ABC). I don't wanna hear the same mediocre shit over and over again, what they did here was the right thing, albeit the execution was terrible.

I'd probably rate the album a 7.
14.06.2011 - 20:14
Rating: 7
Mikyz

I'd agree with Thryce on this one, and I've said it before this album has too much unwarranted hate, it has more good than bad.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
14.06.2011 - 22:39
Papanilala

Richard is completely wrong, it's not kill a cop or kill a cult...I can clearly hear them sing: Let's kill our band...kill our band
15.06.2011 - 05:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Papanilala on 14.06.2011 at 22:39

Richard is completely wrong, it's not kill a cop or kill a cult...I can clearly hear them sing: Let's kill our band...kill our band

Well played.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.06.2011 - 09:37
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Funny how people get so worked up because a band makes an album that doesn't fit snugly into the cozy little Morbid Angel-shaped box that they have waiting for it when it comes out. If this was an album from some unknown band, it would not receive the lambasting that this one has. Lots of decent bands have that one odd album in their discography and over time, people either begin to accept it or simply pass it by when looking for something good to listen to. I didn't like this one, personally. I'll just stick with Covenant and call my MA discography sufficient.

Hits total: 16112 | This month: 58