06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Bottom 20 albums of all time: 1

Additional info
Composed by Lou Reed with significant arrangement contributions by Metallica.

Produced by Lou Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner and Greg Fidelman.

Recorded by Greg Fidelman and Mike Gillies
Additional engineering by Jim Monti, Dan Monti, Sara Lyn Killion and Kent Matcke.
Mixed by Greg Fidelman.
Assisted by Geoff Neal.

Recorded at Metallica HQ.
Mixed at Sunset Sound.

Mix coordination by Lindsay Chase.

Mastered by Vlado Meller at Masterdisk.

Wax mannequin (about 1900) and other objects: collection of Werkbundarchiv - Museum der Dinge, Berlin.

All music by Lou Reed and Metallica.
All lyrics by Lou Reed.
All Songs © 2011 Lou Reed Music (BMI)/Creeping Death Music (ASCAP).

© 2011 Sister Ray Enterprises Inc/We're Only In It For The Music.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2011 | Comments (163)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments page 18 / 21

Comments: 612   Visited by: 3721 users
04.11.2014 - 04:59
Rating: 1
Sepulnation

IMO, Iced Honey isn't a bad song...
----
fuck shit up!
04.11.2014 - 05:50
Lit.
Account deleted
Technically, it wasn't released in 2011, but I think this single song makes up for this entire album. This is how you do a collaboration with Lou Reed (damn, he actually sounds happy in this):

17.11.2014 - 22:48
Mattybu

This is the most toxic, vile, outwardly atrocious piece of shit that was ever recorded by any human being(s) ever, and all parties involved should be deeply, deeply ashamed of themselves. The standard for horrendousness in not just metal, or even music as a whole, but life itself.

-100000000000000000000000000000000/10

Yes, I am mad. I'm a victim.
18.11.2014 - 01:45
Rating: 3
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
C'mon it can't be that bad. I never listened to it, but I bet it must be just one more average to slightly bad thrash metal, and pepople are overreacting because they were expecting something like what they used to release a long time ago or something... If you want really crap you should probably turn the radio on =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.11.2014 - 02:02
Mattybu

I've never heard anything on the radio even approaching how bad this is.
02.12.2014 - 00:17
Rating: 9
defeat213

This is easily the best release to feature Metallica since RTL. Instrumentals are solid for what is essentially a spoken word album, and Lou is as endearing as ever. Maybe people haven't ever heard anything remotely experimental beyond metal (I know a lot of people who commented on albums like Jane Doe have said to have no experience with hardcore punk so it's not much of a stretch to assume so), but this is a wickedly solid album. Comparing this to an album that is literally just random noise (Metal Machine Music) is idiotic, but then again I doubt most of the votes are by Reed fans.
02.12.2014 - 04:52
defeat213

Nope not high, but I have to ask the same of people who think this album is legitimately the worst album ever.
08.12.2014 - 04:34
defeat213

Not really, I mean I could see how people would not like this, but I don''t see how people could hate it, beyond a personal hatred of any artist they perceive to be "artsy", or a desire for everything Metallica related to sound like MoP (which would be horrible).
20.12.2014 - 19:26
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Overhated.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
20.12.2014 - 22:59
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Overhated indeed. It's a bad album, but definitely not the worst ever
----
- Reimu Hakurei
20.12.2014 - 23:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Karlabos on 20.12.2014 at 22:59

I would say it is indeed one of the very worst albums ever. Even worst than St. Anger.
So what would you say is the worst ever?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2014 - 23:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.12.2014 at 23:13

Written by Karlabos on 20.12.2014 at 22:59

I would say it is indeed one of the very worst albums ever. Even worst than St. Anger.
So what would you say is the worst ever?

In my opinion if one wanted to listen to some of the worst songs ever all he'd had to do is turn the radio on nowadays.

Now the worst one among the metal scene? I don't know... There's so much atrociously bad things, some aren't even music like this or this. Then there's slightly better executed things like this, this or this which is on MS even.

I think people tend to think bad about this release because it's a big band which released it,but just crawl on the underground a bit and you may find a lot of stuff which is worse soundwise.

Yeah, depends on what your definition of "worst ever" is. If you think it has to be released by a big band just because it needs to be impactating, historically bad or something like that, then maybe... As for me, an album which is the worst ever is the one that is most poorly executed, it has the most off-putting vocals, it makes you want to turn it off as soon as possible, regardless of whether it's well known or not.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
20.12.2014 - 23:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I'd listen to autotuned crap on the radio than to Lulu so for me Lulu truly is one of the worst albums ever.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2014 - 23:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Btw Apator is a genius. Seen him live a couple of times But he is not to be taken seriously and that's what he's aiming for whereas Lulu was a serious attempt.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2014 - 23:45
Mattybu

Written by defeat213 on 02.12.2014 at 04:52

Nope not high, but I have to ask the same of people who think this album is legitimately the worst album ever.

-Terrible, grating, lazy "riffs"
-Every song overly long with no good moments in it
-Horrendous homeless-person-with-downs-syndrome, nonsensical vocal delivery
-James Hetfield screaming he is a table 1000 times
-Terrible lyrics
-Torture-tier album length and lack of variation
-Colored man's dick

COLORED MAN'S DICK, PLEASE DEFEND THIS LYRIC

My friend and I had a contest to see who could get through more of this album a few months ago, I made it about half an hour and was literally getting aggravated by it. Most depressing piece of shit album ever made. Cringeworthiest thing is the people who defend it saying "this is good musicsz did u expect another MOP>>>??" and "U just dont appreciate Lou Reeds genius". Outside of any expectations, this album is the most horrendous piece of crap I have ever heard. I'd go as far as to say this is the only album in existence I could call objectively bad music. I would take shitty autotune R&B like Chris Brown or Justin Bieber or any terrible rap like YG or Lil Wayne nowadays or any shit autotune pitch corrected pop song on the radio nowadays over this no hesitation. Audio torture.
20.12.2014 - 23:54
Mattybu

Lyrical excerpts:

"If I waggle my ass like a dark prostitute
Would you think less of me"

Deep!

"I will swallow your sharpest cutter
Like a colored man's dick"

Not retarded at all.

"I beg you to degrade me
Is there waste that I could eat"

s/o to Germany!

"If you make others feel like jam
Poured on a piece of charbroiled lamb"

Jam rhymes with lamb... GENIUS

"A puny body and a tiny dick
A little dog can make you sick"

Animal genitals are artsy as fuck, right?

"The taste of your vulva, everything on it
The hair on your shoulders
The smell of your armpit"

These are real lyrics from the album. Like come on man.
21.12.2014 - 00:24
defeat213

Lulz, I'd care about lyrics if it weren't for the fact that guitar-based music is easily one of the least lyrical genres out there. C'mon man, there's whole genres dedicated to mindless gore. Phobophile has some of the most mindless lyrics I've ever heard and that's easily one of Cryptopsy's best works. This isn't hip-hop where lyrics are actually remotely important, instead it's an old Lou Reed talk-singing over backing instrumentals). And I don't know what you expected riff-wise, this wasn't meant to be an in-your-face thrasher of an album, it's composed much like a spoken word album, so of course the riffs aren't going to exciting, but they serve their purpose well. Also, if 68 minutes is "torture-length" to you then I'm also assuming Dopethrone, Terria, The Call of the Wretched Sea, Paragon of Dissonance, and the Galilean Satellites are all tortuous for you as well. Plus, The View is only one song, and the infamous "table verse" is a small part of the song, complaining about it makes you look like every 14-year old Metallica fan that slams Lulu despite having not heard it (and apparently you haven't even heard the whole thing). I still can't get over the fact that I just typed up that response to a baby's first Pentagram-clone fan. But please, tell me more about how lyrics are actually important to you, a user on the same site that collectively gave Molesting the Decapitated an 8.2 out of 10.
21.12.2014 - 00:26
defeat213

Written by Mattybu on 20.12.2014 at 23:54

Lyrical excerpts:

"If I waggle my ass like a dark prostitute
Would you think less of me"

Deep!

"I will swallow your sharpest cutter
Like a colored man's dick"

Not retarded at all.

"I beg you to degrade me
Is there waste that I could eat"

s/o to Germany!

"If you make others feel like jam
Poured on a piece of charbroiled lamb"

Jam rhymes with lamb... GENIUS

"A puny body and a tiny dick
A little dog can make you sick"

Animal genitals are artsy as fuck, right?

"The taste of your vulva, everything on it
The hair on your shoulders
The smell of your armpit"

These are real lyrics from the album. Like come on man.

Do you listen to music for music or do you listen to for the lyrics? Because lyrics are literature, not music. I mean I could point out how weak Ghost B.C is lyrically, but that's not really necessary because they're boring musically as well.
21.12.2014 - 00:49
Mattybu

Written by defeat213 on 21.12.2014 at 00:24

Lulz, I'd care about lyrics if it weren't for the fact that guitar-based music is easily one of the least lyrical genres out there. C'mon man, there's whole genres dedicated to mindless gore. Phobophile has some of the most mindless lyrics I've ever heard and that's easily one of Cryptopsy's best works. This isn't hip-hop where lyrics are actually remotely important, instead it's an old Lou Reed talk-singing over backing instrumentals). And I don't know what you expected riff-wise, this wasn't meant to be an in-your-face thrasher of an album, it's composed much like a spoken word album, so of course the riffs aren't going to exciting, but they serve their purpose well. Also, if 68 minutes is "torture-length" to you then I'm also assuming Dopethrone, Terria, The Call of the Wretched Sea, Paragon of Dissonance, and the Galilean Satellites are all tortuous for you as well. Plus, The View is only one song, and the infamous "table verse" is a small part of the song, complaining about it makes you look like every 14-year old Metallica fan that slams Lulu despite having not heard it (and apparently you haven't even heard the whole thing). I still can't get over the fact that I just typed up that response to a baby's first Pentagram-clone fan. But please, tell me more about how lyrics are actually important to you, a user on the same site that collectively gave Molesting the Decapitated an 8.2 out of 10.

Oh man, not even going to go into this. Call of the Wretched Sea is a great album though.

I think you misunderstood a great deal of what I said and you devolved straight into the MS-douchebag "pick someone's favourite bands and divert the conversation by attacking them", and additionally the whole "you have to hear a whole album to have an opinion on it". People like you are why I hardly post on this site anymore.
21.12.2014 - 00:58
defeat213

Quote:
Quote:

Oh man, not even going to go into this. Call of the Wretched Sea is a great album though.

I think you misunderstood a great deal of what I said and you devolved straight into the MS-douchebag "pick someone's favourite bands and divert the conversation by attacking them", and additionally the whole "you have to hear a whole album to have an opinion on it". People like you are why I hardly post on this site anymore.

Didn't mention your love for the Pentagram-clone until the very end. You kind of do need to hear more than half of an album to rate it properly, because you know, there's still half of the content left. You were very clear in your criticism. You thought the riffs were "lazy", despite the fact that riffs obviously aren't the focal point, you thought the lyrics were laughable, which isn't much of a point for most music unless we're talking hip-hop. You also thought it was "torture length" which makes no sense given that 68 minutes really isn't that long, especially if you've ever sat through multi-hour monoliths. You said that James Hetfield saying he is a table was a major downside, even though that's less than 45 seconds of the whole album. You complained about a lack of variation which actually makes no sense given that The View and Pumping Blood (I'm assuming you at least made it this far) sound quite different. Also, you haven't even heard over 50% of the album (that's not even all of the first disc). The only thing that I could see making sense as a criticism is the vocals, but they're not the worst thing I've ever heard, so to me they aren't much of a negative.
21.12.2014 - 01:00
defeat213

And I wouldn't have brought up Ghost B.C if it weren't for the fact that you think "lazy" riffs are a downside of Lulu, despite the fact that Ghost B.C's existence is an example of laziness. It would be like if I said that I only like music with good vocals and rated a slam album as a 10.
21.12.2014 - 01:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
What band that Matty loves is aan Pentagram clone?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2014 - 01:03
Mattybu

Written by defeat213 on 21.12.2014 at 00:58

Didn't mention your love for the Pentagram-clone until the very end.

Makes it no less irrelevant. I made my other points, and you didn't understand them/took them personally (and I'm certain you would be too stubborn to engage in a worthwhile discussion about them), so there's no point in further conversation. Have a nice day.
21.12.2014 - 01:04
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.12.2014 at 01:00

He's talking about Ghost. He went into my album votes and saw a 10 and can't seem to get off that topic, which I repeat is 100% irrelevant to the conversation at hand
21.12.2014 - 01:04
defeat213

Ghost B.C is what I imagine a boring version of Pentagram would sound like.
21.12.2014 - 01:05
defeat213

Quote:
Quote:

He's talking about Ghost. He went into my album votes and saw a 10 and can't seem to get off that topic, which I repeat is 100% irrelevant to the conversation at hand

So far I've devoted maybe 45 words to them. Most of my responses have been about Lulu, but evidently the moment someone suggests that Ghost is blahverage you shut down.
21.12.2014 - 01:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by defeat213 on 21.12.2014 at 01:04

Ghost B.C is what I imagine a boring version of Pentagram would sound like.

Ghost can be called a more or less Blue Oyster Cult wannabe but not a Pentagram clone. Hell Pentagram is more a Black Sabbath clone than that Ghost clones them.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2014 - 01:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Logical fallacies abound. I love it when people, in serious tone, use someone's taste to invalidate a personal opinion. That's what it looks like to me, anyway.
21.12.2014 - 01:10
defeat213

Quote:
Ghost can be called a more or less Blue Oyster Cult wannabe but not a Pentagram clone. Hell Pentagram is more a Black Sabbath clone than that Ghost clones them.

I mean you're not wrong, but I'm not sure if you're 100% right. Regardless, Ghost has always struck me as a very bland group. If I'm going to listen to revivalist music then I'd rather listen to modern day trad-doom.
21.12.2014 - 06:37
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by defeat213 on 21.12.2014 at 00:24

Lulz, I'd care about lyrics if it weren't for the fact that guitar-based music is easily one of the least lyrical genres out there.

No words...

Hits total: 80241 | This month: 110