Metal Storm logo
Bal-Sagoth

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 23.09.2006 - 06:09
Well, the thread for this excellent british band.
I post a part of an article of wikipedia: Byron Roberts formed Bal-Sagoth in 1993 in an attempt to form what he called "A sublimely symphonic black/death metal band swathed in a concept of dark fantasy/science-fiction and ancient myth & legendary." Drawing inspiration from such writers as Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Frank Herbert, J.R.R. Tolkien, Shakespeare, Arthur C. Clarke, David Gemmell, George Lucas, and Stan Lee, Byron set out to create his own dark fantasy universe, with tales told through the music of Bal-Sagoth. Dubbed "The Multiverse", the lyrical world of Bal-Sagoth is a vast landscape of fantasy/science fiction, ranging from intergalactic tales of gods and cosmic empires, to sword and sorcery style epic battles.

They're one of the bands I admire the most because of the fantasy and the great music, they have a unique style.
So, what do you think about them?
28.03.2009 - 19:03
Lord_Regnier

Written by Daru Jericho on 25.09.2006 at 01:14

I think the narration in their songs kills it at times.

Exactly why I can't enjoy this band. This narrative voice is quite boring after a few songs and make their music sound as a cheesefest.

It's a pity, because I believe I could like this band, if it wasn't for that ridiculously cheesy narrative voice. It really kills the atmosphere for me.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
31.03.2009 - 23:02
Midnight Walker

Yeah, they're OK. I have a couple of their albums, and I listen to them at times, they have some good stuff, but by and large they just sound a bit cheesy.
----
16.07.2009 - 21:23
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Awesome band. So heavy, yet melodic too, with some of the most original melodies and riffs Ive cam across. They lyrics are great, when I first read them, I said "wtf, this cant be a US band, what a vocabulary..." Than I came here and saw they are British. That explained a lot. Absolutely great lyrics and concept(s), it feels as if Shakespeare had a metal band...
I also like the way how their music "follows" the lyrics in some places, its hard to explain but I hear that on The Power Cosmic mostly, which is alongside the Battle Magic my favorite of Bal-Sagoth.

And yeah, just to mention that I got into this band when I first saw the title of the song "The Dark Liege Of Chaos Is Unleashed At The Ensorcelled Shrine Of A'Zura Kai (The Splendour Of A Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath The Blazon Of The Hyperborean Empire Part II)" , and I thought, wow, this title is longer than the lyrics of some songs. lets check it out
----
16.07.2009 - 23:51
Piro

They can sound very cool when you are in the mood for them. Certainly some truly epic moments in their music.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
28.08.2009 - 07:52
ComePierrot

Amazing band! The music theorist's wet dream.
31.08.2009 - 01:34
Galar
Wicked Mung
Haha that sponsorship that they have with that armor and sword company made me laugh, although it was not unexpected
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
31.08.2009 - 09:15
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Damn, i need to listen to Black Magic once again soon...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

31.08.2009 - 19:55
Galar
Wicked Mung
Written by Midnight Walker on 31.03.2009 at 23:02

Yeah, they're OK. I have a couple of their albums, and I listen to them at times, they have some good stuff, but by and large they just sound a bit cheesy.

this band wouldn't be good if they weren't cheesy imo
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
08.03.2011 - 00:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Indar Productions just recently finished up their new Bal-Sagoth leather accessories.

A catalog of their leather items (including Emperor, Ihsahn, While Heaven Wept, etc.) can be found as a PDF here.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2011 - 08:12
Yasmine

Written by ComePierrot on 28.08.2009 at 07:52

The music theorist's wet dream.

Bingo, and it makes them better than 90% of the stuff out there. People who like to nitpick the narration, etc are generally the exact opposite of a music theorist, I don't need to say what that is.

Cheese comments are lame, it's a man's way of saying "I'll be embarassed if someone catches me doing this".
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
22.03.2011 - 21:52
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 22.03.2011 at 08:12

Bingo, and it makes them better than 90% of the stuff out there. People who like to nitpick the narration, etc are generally the exact opposite of a music theorist, I don't need to say what that is.

Cheese comments are lame, it's a man's way of saying "I'll be embarassed if someone catches me doing this".

And the narration is what makes Bal-Sagoth so incredible...it's like riding a cosmic wave with a storyteller on the side speaking of entities and galactic battles...how can that NOT be awesome??
22.03.2011 - 22:41
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 22.03.2011 at 21:52

And the narration is what makes Bal-Sagoth so incredible...it's like riding a cosmic wave with a storyteller on the side speaking of entities and galactic battles...how can that NOT be awesome??

It's part of the mystique.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
24.03.2011 - 17:58
MetalSpider

Im just waiting to hear a new album from these guys!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
31.03.2011 - 05:51
Draick117

Hey folks, first post here. Was browsing the forums when I saw this thread and had to respond.

I stumbled upon Bal-Sagoth only less than a year ago, and they've become one of my favorite bands. I'm no music theorist, not by a long shot, and I don't get any "cheese" from them. Metal, in my opinion, will always come with a hint of cheese, but we as fans have blocked out the majority of that particular stench.

Nonetheless, I've had a hard time finding other people who have heard of Bal-Sagoth and so felt the need to post here. I'm a big H.P. Lovecraft fan, and as such found "The Chthonic Chronicles" particularly amazing. As stated before, the music coincides with the lyrics a good deal of the time, which many bands have a difficult time pulling off effectively, whereas I find Bal-Sagoth very capable in this area.
----
"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls" - George Carlin
31.03.2011 - 05:55
Yasmine

Written by Draick117 on 31.03.2011 at 05:51

Hey folks, first post here. Was browsing the forums when I saw this thread and had to respond.

I stumbled upon Bal-Sagoth only less than a year ago, and they've become one of my favorite bands. I'm no music theorist, not by a long shot, and I don't get any "cheese" from them. Metal, in my opinion, will always come with a hint of cheese, but we as fans have blocked out the majority of that particular stench.

Nonetheless, I've had a hard time finding other people who have heard of Bal-Sagoth and so felt the need to post here. I'm a big H.P. Lovecraft fan, and as such found "The Chthonic Chronicles" particularly amazing. As stated before, the music coincides with the lyrics a good deal of the time, which many bands have a difficult time pulling off effectively, whereas I find Bal-Sagoth very capable in this area.

I completely agree, I had theory 1-4, playing guitar since I Was 6, and I'm always entertained by these guys, and also.....welcome to MS.
----
01.04.2011 - 13:35
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by MetalSpider on 24.03.2011 at 17:58

Im just waiting to hear a new album from these guys!

I doubt we'll see another album, their story is complete, and they were always a 6-album project.
01.04.2011 - 13:46
Baz Anderson

Yes, I think I mentioned that a while back too. Although it would be nice, I don't know if there will ever be another Bal-Sagoth album.
01.04.2011 - 20:13
MetalSpider

Really? damn! that makes me sad

But their 6 albums are spectacular no doubt.
----

02.04.2011 - 04:13
Yasmine

Written by MetalSpider on 01.04.2011 at 20:13

Absolutely, I'd love to do some music like that.
----
02.04.2011 - 06:33
MetalSpider

Written by Yasmine on 02.04.2011 at 04:13

Yeah same! Although for me, Septicflesh (their last album Communion) is the closest in terms of music to what I would like to write. But Bal-Sagoth is definitely awesome!
----

02.04.2011 - 06:42
Yasmine

Written by MetalSpider on 02.04.2011 at 06:33

Yeah same! Although for me, Septicflesh (their last album Communion) is the closest in terms of music to what I would like to write. But Bal-Sagoth is definitely awesome!

I'll check it out too, if you ever get around to it I started a thread to share riffs and put a song together. We could certainly do it again and see if we can't make us an epic song!
----
02.04.2011 - 08:02
MetalSpider

Written by Yasmine on 02.04.2011 at 06:42

I'll check it out too, if you ever get around to it I started a thread to share riffs and put a song together. We could certainly do it again and see if we can't make us an epic song!

Awesome! I'll check out the thread. If I ever get the time to really sit down and write something then I definitely will.
----

02.04.2011 - 08:07
Yasmine

Written by MetalSpider on 02.04.2011 at 08:02

Awesome! I'll check out the thread. If I ever get the time to really sit down and write something then I definitely will.

I like the music, the only thing I didn't much like was the clean vocals, the guy didn't have the voice for it. If we did that I'd want to use a real singer, vibrato, etc.
Misanthrope is another great reference for prog that's one the harsh side of things.
----
02.04.2011 - 08:40
MetalSpider

Written by Yasmine on 02.04.2011 at 08:07

Written by MetalSpider on 02.04.2011 at 08:02

I like the music, the only thing I didn't much like was the clean vocals, the guy didn't have the voice for it. If we did that I'd want to use a real singer, vibrato, etc.
Misanthrope is another great reference for prog that's one the harsh side of things.

I agree 100%...the clean vocals are the weakest part.

I'll check out Misanthrope tomorrow. Right now...I need some sleep! Night! lol
----

15.05.2011 - 18:23
ComePierrot

Agreed! I don't listen to them *solely* for the complexity of their arrangements but I have a whole different level of appreciation for those who can make music as nuanced as Bal-Sagoth while writing breathtaking melodies/riffs etc. People who complain about the narration probably want interminable screaming to drown everything else out, which would detract from the composition as a whole. And besides, listening to Starfire Burning promotes penis growth.
21.05.2011 - 07:32
Hylia

I started listening to A Black Moon Broods over Lemuria about 5 years ago when I first started getting into black metal and I loved it! But until recently maybe one year, I started listening to their newer and more symphonic albums and they are even better in my opinion. I can honestly say I listen to Bal-Sagoth everyday I heard they are doing more shows in the UK and it is too bad I cant see them I'm hoping for a North American tour sometime.
21.05.2011 - 09:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
How in the hell is this in extreme? only thing extreme about this is the boredom...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.05.2011 - 18:12
Yasmine

Extremely complex which I am beginning to think someone here hates. lol
----
21.05.2011 - 19:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 21.05.2011 at 14:59

Written by BitterCOld on 21.05.2011 at 09:15

How in the hell is this in extreme? only thing extreme about this is the boredom...

well, that's certainly more extreme than the over-indulgent battle magic.

as for 'extremely complex' - complexity doesn't make it extreme. lol.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.05.2011 - 20:09
Yasmine

Over-indulgent doesn't mean it's not "extreme". lol
----