09. Out On The Tiles [Led Zeppelin cover]
10. Shotgun Logic
11. Time After Time
12. Think That

Top 20 albums of 1989: 15

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
I don't know about you, but I consider Toxik's debut release World Circus almost a masterpiece of an album. Consequently, as I was getting ready to make friends with their second album Think This I was expecting something as stunning. Unfortunately, I didn't get what I anticipated, and my original dissatisfaction spoilt the impression about this album for a long time. Think This is still a very solid Progressive/Technical Thrash album, which I'm in no position to bash.

Read more ››
published 15.10.2008 | Comments (5)

An old album from a band that has only just recently come into my attention. This is the band's second album and probably the most solid. This is thrash metal, but is also very melodic and speed metal-like in places with the clean vocals, as it is also somewhat progressive in places. If this sounds like something that might appeal to you, definitely go for it.

Baz Anderson's picks | More picks ››

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 555 users
26.06.2011 - 12:51
JÄY
Metal slave
I should like this, but its not doing it for me.....riffs dont seem complex or imaginiative to these ears. sounds like a watered-down, more progressive artillery
13.08.2011 - 19:20
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 26.06.2011 at 12:51

I should like this, but its not doing it for me.....riffs dont seem complex or imaginiative to these ears. sounds like a watered-down, more progressive artillery

Exactly.
22.06.2013 - 12:03
D. Monique

I like the album but I wouldn't call it thrash metal. It sounds more like progressive power metal to me. It reminds me of bands like Sanctuary or Psychotic Waltz.
22.06.2013 - 22:48
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by D. Monique on 22.06.2013 at 12:03

It sounds more like progressive power metal to me.

Seriously, dude?
Dude?
Seriously?
23.06.2013 - 01:30
D. Monique

Lit.:
When I wrote power metal I was thinking about bands such as Vicious Rumors, Conception, Helstar, Lääz Rockit, or Evergrey (not Gamma Ray or Nightwish). I think that music on this album is much closer to these bands than to e.g. Sodom, Exodus and Razor. Nevertheless, I can still call it thrash metal if it makes you happy. ...or let's just call it good music.
23.06.2013 - 01:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
This is 100% pure technical thrash
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.06.2013 - 14:43
D. Monique

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.06.2013 at 01:41

This is 100% pure technical thrash

OK, OK, you won. I'm just curious - what's the difference between technical thrash and progressive thrash and where is the line between thrash metal and power metal (according to you)? How would you define thy style of bands such as Sanctuary, Lääz Rockit, or Helstar?
By the way, I was browsing the Internet and I found out that I am not the only idiot who mentions power metal in connection with Toxik.
23.06.2013 - 15:07
TrollandDie

Even by 80's standards the production is pretty weak.

It's an improvement over their first album in this regard but still lacks any real 'punch' to it. Shame.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
23.06.2013 - 15:30
TrollandDie

Quote:
Written by D. Monique on 23.06.2013 at 14:43

OK, OK, you won. I'm just curious - what's the difference between technical thrash and progressive thrash and where is the line between thrash metal and power metal (according to you)? How would you define thy style of bands such as Sanctuary, Lääz Rockit, or Helstar?
By the way, I was browsing the Internet and I found out that I am not the only idiot who mentions power metal in connection with Toxik.

Prog thrash and tech-thrash are generally the same thing and people freely use both terms to describe the same area of music. If there is *any* difference, then it's that prog-thrash emphasises the progressive elements much more (song structure, more ecclectic sound, time signatures) and is often very melodic in terms of thrash. Hence that might explain why there is a whole ''power or thrash'' enquiry.

Tech-thrash is often used to simply describe typically-aggressive thrash with a more intricate flair to it.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
23.06.2013 - 15:58
D. Monique

Written by TrollandDie on 23.06.2013 at 15:30

Prog thrash and tech-thrash are generally the same thing and people freely use both terms to describe the same area of music. If there is *any* difference, then it's that prog-thrash emphasises the progressive elements much more (song structure, more ecclectic sound, time signatures) and is often very melodic in terms of thrash. Hence that might explain why there is a whole ''power or thrash'' enquiry.

Tech-thrash is often used to simply describe typically-aggressive thrash with a more intricate flair to it.

TrollandDie:
Thanks for the explanation but could you name some examples. So Coroner and Sadus are tech-thrash and Mekong Delta and Anacrusis are prog-thrash according to your definition. Am I right?
23.06.2013 - 16:29
TrollandDie

Written by D. Monique on 23.06.2013 at 15:58

Written by TrollandDie on 23.06.2013 at 15:30

TrollandDie:
Thanks for the explanation but could you name some examples. So Coroner and Sadus are tech-thrash and Mekong Delta and Anacrusis are prog-thrash according to your definition. Am I right?

Correct! Those are exactly the bands I would give examples for. However, I must say again that people usually don't differentiate between saying 'prog' or 'tech'. I for example, just use eitheir term in regards to complex thrash metal.
----
23.06.2013 - 16:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
You could also call it prog thrash if you like. Why I keep on using the term tech thrash instead of prog thrash is because at the time that this album was released the term prog thrash wasn't around and tech thrash was the term used for music such as this. (And yes I discovered all those bands when they released their debuts) Coronor, Watchtower, Osiris, Mekong Delta, Anacrusis, Genetic Wisdom, Donor, Aftermath, Imperium, Believer, Paralysis and such were all tech thrash, no matter how much they veered towards the more US power side of things.

As for Sanctuary, Lääz Rockit or Helstar? Sanctuary and Helstar US Power Metal and Laaz Rockit's early work US Power Metal, 'Know Your Enemy' some US Power and some thrash, everything after that album thrash metal/
Btw US Power metal does border on thrash.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.04.2014 - 12:19
Rating: 10
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Something interesting I caught on Youtube comments. Track 7 WIR NJN8/In God misspelled here, it's "WI⌠ NJ∩8", which if you read upside down reads Burn Jim - evangelist priest Jim Swaggart paid for a prostitute from time to time and had fun.
----
06.09.2017 - 21:14
Maco
Pvt Funderground
This has become one of my favorite thrash metal albums ever. The energy, the technique. Band was on the top of their game by 1989.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.07.2020 - 04:06
Rating: 10
Metal Rasputin

I was reminded of the genius of this album when i just found guitar tabs for some the these songs. Think This is seriously one of the sickest and most unique tech thrash albums ever made, there's nothing like it. Josh Christian especially is one crazy shred machine.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
30.03.2021 - 14:19
Rating: 9
BennyMetGer

This is so underrated. One best thrash music ive listened.
15.11.2022 - 23:26
Rating: 8
Joppe
Steelemeister
Is the album calling out the brainwashing/conditioning in the 80s through the medium of thrash metal like Jiddu Krishnamurti was calling it out decade(s) before through his talks/books? It does seem so. While I do prefer the JK way, this should awaken some lads who have ventured to read the lyrics than those who didn't. Songwriting-wise I personally prefer the debut, but this album is of course more technically impressive. Spontaneous stands out as best song
----
My vision is augmented

Hits total: 12757 | This month: 49