05. So Close
06. Monster
07. In My Room
08. Rullo
09. Spaceman
10. W.I.T.M. (When I Touch Myself)
11. Ruska
12. Outro

Spellbound Dazzle? Really? Are we actually that short on unused band names now? Fair enough, the name actually makes sense in context with the music. It's clearly a band with a sense of humour. No, we're not talking about humorous music with abysmal results (ie Nanowar or Steel Panther). These guys manage to make extremely entertaining music, while still retaining the chops to be taken as a serious musical entity. Think Mr. Bungle meets Protest The Hero.

Eclectic. That's the word to describe this album. To pin this band down to one style is nigh impossible. Unreal Fairy Tales reaches out between AC/DC influenced blues rock, then jumps over to some of those cool, jazzy moments you come to expect from Protest The Hero, then bounces between some thrash, power, metalcore and traditional heavy metal. Oh yes, and some Spanish acoustic bits here and there. Oh yeah, and some polka or something...and barber shop quartet vocal bits. You know what?! Fuck it! If you can think of any type of melodic metal, chances are it's in here.

The beautiful part? They manage to tie everything together smoothly, without having to resort to silly prog-wankery to make the pieces fit. Unreal Fairy Tales is astonishingly clever - too frequently these spastic eclectic bands seem to lack the skill to bring their scattered ideas into a coherent flowing song, then it just becomes a bit too overwhelming. Spellbound Dazzle (yes, I'm still having a difficult time saying that out loud) just make everything work.

Ignore the atrocious name for 5 minutes and give this a listen. If you're into any type of melodic metal or hard rock, there will be something appealing in this album, if not the whole thing.

Written on 29.06.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 36   Visited by: 434 users
12.08.2011 - 15:12
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Excellent. Kinda addicted to "Goodbye My Love 1" and "W.I.T.M. (When I Touch Myself)" right now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.01.2012 - 11:40
Rating: 7
Qube

The enthusiastic review made me listen to it a few times. It does have its moments of wacky goodness but they are drowned in long passages of "average".

I'll keep an eye on the band in the future, but this is not a great release.
02.02.2012 - 18:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I can understand the appeal... but I sure as hell can't understand the rating.

Needless to say that I felt nothing while listening to this... Only some annoyment from time to time. They definitely know how to play though, cool songwriting and performance. But I just don't like it at all.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2012 - 18:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.02.2012 at 18:30

I can understand the appeal... but I sure as hell can't understand the rating.

Needless to say that I felt nothing while listening to this... Only some annoyment from time to time. They definitely know how to play though, cool songwriting and performance. But I just don't like it at all.

Probably my least favourite of all the albums I heard last year.
02.02.2012 - 18:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 02.02.2012 at 18:41
Probably my least favourite of all the albums I heard last year.

Yeah, I dunno about that in my case but it definitely has the first spot in my list of "albums I never understood people went batshit crazy about".
It just gets worse with every listening I give it.. I tried a lot of times because a part of me wanted to like it but no... It's awful.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.03.2012 - 17:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
9.8??? O.o

I need to hear this.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse