Metal Storm logo
Favorite Metallica Album

Original post

Posted by Metal_4Ever, 08.07.2011 - 00:47
Metallica is the best Thrash Metal band and it's my best Thrash Metal band for this moment and I always want to know what Metallica's fan prefer for them.
For me I'd choose Metallica (The Black Album) I loved all this album's songs from Enter Sandman to The Struggle Within.

Poll

Which one do you prefer? and why?

Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
Kill 'Em All
...And Justice For All
Metallica (The Black Album)
St. Anger
Death Magnetic
Load
Reload

Total votes: 115
19.09.2012 - 23:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.09.2012 at 22:51

It is one of the best metal albums ever created

It's one of my only 5 10s I have awarded and of those 10s 1 isn't even a 10 in its original release format
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2012 - 00:37
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.09.2012 at 21:33

Kill 'em All is really good but RIde The Lightning just blows it out of the ballpark and then comes Master Of P{uppets which just copies Ride The Lightning to the T, you especially notice it when you play the vinyl because of the song placing.

COme ... And Justice For All they really went downhill with that one. My God are most of the songs extremely boring and tedious on that one.

Copies ride the lighting to the "T"? I don't get it....
And AJFA is pretty much the definition of a boring album. Even the production manages to be boring. It's quite the achievement
20.09.2012 - 00:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Alex F on 20.09.2012 at 00:37

the sort of songs on the album and the placing of them on the album. It's more or less the same songs with slightly different arangements and lyrics in the same place.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2012 - 00:41
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.09.2012 at 00:39

Written by Alex F on 20.09.2012 at 00:37

the sort of songs on the album and the placing of them on the album. It's more or less the same songs with slightly different arangements and lyrics in the same place.

Oh I gotcha
20.09.2012 - 02:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.09.2012 at 23:55
It's one of my only 5 10s I have awarded and of those 10s 1 isn't even a 10 in its original release format

You've only awarded 5 10's, and one of those is a Metallica album? Okay, consider me quite a bit shocked at that! Which is the album you wouldn't have awarded a 10 in it's original release format?

And yep, you're exactly right about how in many ways, MOP is just a rehash of RTL. A fast, aggressive track as the opener, epic title track placed second, a slower paced track third, and the "heavy ballad" placed 4th. 2nd side (showing my age here! ) opens with a faster song, and mid-paced 6th song. The only difference between the two, is that the final placings between the instrumental and more aggressive track are reversed. But the progression from KEA to RTL is far greater and more noticeable, than between RTL and MOP. Which is why to me it's not only my fave Metallica album, it's also the most important, and influential release from them. The Metallica on RTL sounded more mature, assured, and more astute musically than on KEA. The Metallica on MOP is virtually indistinguishable from the one that recorded the previous album.
20.09.2012 - 05:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Kill 'Em All... yeah

Masterpiece... Ride The Ligthning's nothing in comparison
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.09.2012 - 11:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.09.2012 at 02:20

Which is the album you wouldn't have awarded a 10 in it's original release format?

Flotsam & Jetsam - Doomsday For The Deceiver. The 20th Anniversary re-release box is as perfect a re-release box as they come. Original recording in there, the remastered version as well, plus loads of other stuff as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2012 - 22:05
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.09.2012 at 11:40

Original recording in there, the remastered version as well, plus loads of other stuff as well.

This should be mandatory for any band that decides to remaster or rerecord older material.
21.09.2012 - 11:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 20.09.2012 at 23:29

But I seriously don't have understanding for Seth (Season Of Mist) for releasing Les Blessures De L'Ame without the original version, which isn't available.

the re-release is just that, a re-release, no remastering and remixing, just the exact same recordings as before but with some bonus tracks and new cover are.
So there is totally no use in including the original album's recording in the case of Seth's re-release. Whereas for DImmu Borgir there is, even though the original might still be available, because then you get the original recording and the re-recording in one package.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.09.2012 - 19:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
If it's a remaster then they should certainly have included the original recording. Somehow I thouaght it was just a re-release. But still even though I enjoy Seth I really can't understand waiting around for Seth's remasters.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2012 - 01:49
Angry Chair

1. Ride the Lightning (only just top)
2. Kill 'em all (nearly won)
3. Master of puppets (at first I thought masterpiece, then I came down from the hype)
4. ...and justice for all (decent)
5. Black album (ok some good songs)
6. Death magnetic (barely enjoyed this)

7. Load (pile of shit)
8. Reload (even shitter)
9. St. Anger (unlistenable)
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
22.09.2012 - 02:20
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I voted for Master of Puppets, but tbh, I'm never really in the mood for Metallica anymore, not even for their classic works. I give the band credit for helping me get into metal music in the first place and I still have much respect for Cliff Burton, but its either because I had grown out of their music or the music just kept getting shittier as time went on (i used to actually enjoy Load, Reload, and St. Anger when I was like 14 or 15 tbh, now they're just shit).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
22.09.2012 - 14:09
Abattoir

Kill 'Em All above all. I prefer this good old speed/thrash to all other stuff they have release. It wasn't realy a tough decision, while the other close option would be probably Ride The Lightning and after that a big gap of void.
30.09.2012 - 19:59
SuicidalPunk
Account deleted
Kill Em All has always been my favorite, mainly because thats the first Metallica album listened to, but And Justice For All is when i think they were at their best musically. That album is probably better than any other album they have put out imo, and i like it more than any other, maybe besides Kill Em All.
01.12.2012 - 16:31
megadeath13
Account deleted
RTL for me!
09.09.2013 - 07:20
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
You know what, after going through their albums again, I wish I could change my vote to Ride the Lightning, that album is absolutely brilliant.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.09.2013 - 10:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Whenever i see Metallica, my mind painfully strike with the name of "Lulu".

Initially, it was Kill 'Em All. It's a fantastic record.

my vote goes for Kill.
09.09.2013 - 20:20
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Ride the Lightning. An album so good the band spent the rest of the decade trying to remake it.
09.09.2013 - 20:33
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Ride The Lightning for me too
10.09.2013 - 13:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Azarath on 09.09.2013 at 20:20

Ride the Lightning. An album so good the band spent the rest of the decade trying to remake it.

not really, only with Masters Of Poppuets did they try to remake it Just look at how that album is set up. With ...And Justice they didn't try and remake it, which shows because it is immediately the weakest album of their first four
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2013 - 21:17
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2013 at 13:34

not really, only with Masters Of Poppuets did they try to remake it Just look at how that album is set up. With ...And Justice they didn't try and remake it, which shows because it is immediately the weakest album of their first four

Justice still has the same basic structure as Lightning (by way of Puppets). The fast, aggressive opener followed by the long epic title track, the slower heavier 3rd song, the "ballad" in 4th place. And then there's the instrumental followed by the thrashy closer (since Puppets reversed them). There may be more.

Justice is not as close to Lightning as Puppets is, but there are still some pretty significant similarities. A "structural blueprint", if you will.
10.09.2013 - 21:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Azarath on 10.09.2013 at 21:17

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2013 at 13:34

Justice still has the same basic structure as Lightning (by way of Puppets). The fast, aggressive opener followed by the long epic title track, the slower heavier 3rd song, the "ballad" in 4th place. And then there's the instrumental followed by the thrashy closer (since Puppets reversed them). There may be more.

Justice is not as close to Lightning as Puppets is, but there are still some pretty significant similarities. A "structural blueprint", if you will.

Somehow never noticed that with And Justice But did immediately when Master came out. Maybe why I ddin't notice it with And Justice is that And Justice was originally released as 2LP unlike Ride and Master which both were originally just a single album. Other easons could well be that And Justice has 9 songs instead of 8, like on the two precious ones, and the most glaring diference between Justice and Master and Ride is of course the quite terrible production of And Justice.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2013 - 22:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've always been aware of the structural similarities between Justice and the preceding two albums (aside from Justice having one more song), but I still see it as quite a separate entity. Which is due to the fact that Puppets and Lightning sound very similar production wise as well as being structurally similar, whereas Justice sonically, sounds nothing like the previous two albums.
12.09.2013 - 06:51
Mattybu

Written by Angelic Storm on 11.09.2013 at 22:00

I've always been aware of the structural similarities between Justice and the preceding two albums (aside from Justice having one more song), but I still see it as quite a separate entity.

Me too, and you know it's been said a billion times but I do think part of it is the bassist change. Due to the fact that I really have no other way to explain it, I will just put it this way, there was definitely some magic in the air around Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning... Even at times on Master of Puppets too. For me AJFA has some great moments but it doesn't have the magic moments. I probably sound like a 10 year old.