Metal Storm logo
Most Influential Metal Band

Original post

Posted by MickeyDeez79, 11.07.2011 - 09:24
Which Band is the Most Influential To Metal In Your Opinion?

Poll

What is the most influencial metal band?

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Led Zeppelin
Judas Priest
Slayer
Motörhead

Total votes: 362
15.09.2012 - 13:23
Aristarchos

Here you can find my attempt to rank the top 100 most influential metal bands: http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2413
27.09.2012 - 05:17
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by selken on 22.04.2012 at 06:39

I'll go with Metallica, maybe Iron Maiden or Judas Priest are the most influential inside the metal world, but Metallica's influence goes beyond Metal and even beyond Rock...

wtf do you mean ? As if Iron Maiden wouldn't go beyond that aswell lol. C'mon, they sold ALOT MORE albums than metallica worldwide, if you combine Judas Priest and Metallica together they maybe sold like 5 - 7 millions more than Maiden ALONE which is roughly around 85 million copies... with less media/radio support than both bands. So I don't get your statement. Plus how could Metallica go beyond rock compared to Maiden I mean they sold mainly albums from their Thrash Metal years and are known for these more than anything else they did *except black album*... so thats their first 4, and Maiden's older and alot more influenced by hard rock/prog rock elements than Metallica is... Metallica is probably one of those bands that used the METAL term as a sole definition for their music.

Anyways I just don't see your point.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.09.2012 - 16:06
Fredd
Account deleted
I went with Led Zeppelin.
28.09.2012 - 21:47
helofloki

I gave Slayer some love. Not my personal favorite, but I feel like a lot of bands, not just thrash bands, but lot's of metal genre's draw from their style of heaviness. And I'm pretty sure Death Metal as a genre would not exist without them. The other bands are certainly influential, it's really hard to pick one over the other.
29.09.2012 - 15:11
Angry Chair

Metallica because they changed the sound of heavy metal into thrash and influenced many band such as slayer that would help create different genres of metal.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
01.10.2012 - 11:12
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin for starting it, and Iron Maiden for bringing it to a whole new level of awesome for the coming decades.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
01.12.2012 - 16:30
megadeath13
Account deleted
Is this even a question? For sure Black Sabbath. They influenced every possible detail of Metal.
23.01.2013 - 00:47
John Sandman

Easy. Black Sabbath.
Zeppelin was very influential as well although I don't like them very much.
24.01.2013 - 01:20
king_matt

Led Zeppelin isn't metal.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
24.01.2013 - 10:41
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by king_matt on 24.01.2013 at 01:20

Led Zeppelin isn't metal.

You aren't metal
28.03.2013 - 14:12
Metal_Elle

Iron Maiden.
17.04.2013 - 14:44
Edible Autopsy

Black Sabbath.

Tough call with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden on the list. But definately Black Sabbath.

Led Zeppelin was never really metal, though they did influence a lot of metal bands around their time.
----
So let it be written
So let it be done
I've be sent here by the chosen one

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born pharoah son

I'm Creeping Death
25.07.2013 - 18:37
Infernal Eternal

Of course it is Black Sabbath. This thread has an easy question.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
26.07.2013 - 08:20
DyingWorld

Black Sabbath for inventing metal and pushing it's boundaries in the 70's. And once again, revamping it during the Dio years, along with Priest, Scorpions and the NWOBHM. Their influence can still be felt to this day. Of course, if it weren't for Slayer (or Venom for that matter), there would be no black or death metal. All of these bands are important though.

I wouldn't have included Zeppelin though since they aren't really a metal band, other than a few songs. Even if they are influential. No disrespect to them though as they deserve all the respect in the world.
01.08.2013 - 06:57
UPDIRNS

I voted Zeppelin because of Bonham's killer double bass and some of their more fast paced at for the time heavier songs. They came before Black Sabbath who would be my close #2.