08. To Burn The Eye
09. Falling To Grey
10. My Hatred
11. When All Light Dies
12. A View Of Burning Empires
13. Blinding Tears Will Break The Skies [bonus]
14. The Deceived [demo] [bonus]
15. Demon [bonus]

Ok, not considering the short low-quality EP Trivium put out, Ember to Inferno would be their first studio full-length album. Well, for starters Trivium can be categorized in a thrash/metalcore branch with typical growling/screaming vocals for this album. The band introduces itself with an atmospheric instrumental and kick off more or less what they'll be doing for the rest of the album with "Pillars of Serpents" and I must say they do a decent job of it. The first thing to strike me is the POWER. Matt Heafy's vocals, the riffs and drum beats rife with double-bass gives a very powerful sound and each element complements the other which is a rarity these days. That, accompanied with timely intervals of clean singing and melodic solos, makes each song worth listening to a few times.

The best part of the album are the riffs. There are many anthemic riffs and headbangers and thrash-lovers will be pleased with songs such as "Pillars of Serpents," "My Hatred" and "If I Could..." There are also many songs that boast of a wider variety of talent on display including clean choruses and melodic rhythms like "Fugue" and "To Burn The Eye" (which is to me the best song on the album).

The down-sides include repetitiveness in terms of lyrics and drumming. Travis Smith is not the most intelligent drummer. Though powerful, he brings a unidimensional edge to Trivium's music. The lyrics are not something you can think too much about. So, fans who enjoy deep and meaningful songs may get put-off after a few songs. Also, Heafy's growls could also become better.

All in all, Ember to Inferno is a good introduction for an aggressive band. Though not a classic in itself, it does entertain and makes you look forward to their next work. If you are in the mood for new thrash/metalcore, here is a place you can start.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written by thev_manutop | 12.07.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 69 users
13.07.2011 - 20:46
Nergal Is God
Account deleted
Good review, I totally agree with you!
14.07.2011 - 06:44
Rating: 7
thev_manutop

Thanks man
22.08.2012 - 13:04
machiavelli
Account deleted
Get Pillars Of Serpents and dont bother with the rest unless you have to have the whole record.
28.07.2013 - 16:56
Rating: 9
Sword_Chant

I like every album by Trivium, despite the drastic change of sound in every release. Ember to Inferno is a good debut, probably not the best but without a doubt an important part of their discography. The 6.8 'overall' rating is ridiculous!

Hits total: 4630 | This month: 5