Metal Storm logo
What allows you to sit through an extensively long song?

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 14.07.2011 - 09:23
I am a fan of music, be it long or short, cheesy or profound. But there is a sort of a paradox when it comes to individual songs with a length of 10 minutes or more. I seem to encounter this length with bands like Moonsorrow or While Heaven Wept but it also extends to more droning styles that I am not familiar with like Warning. I am just curious to know what allows you, the listeners, to be able to sit through songs of this length, even if they are really 3 or 4 songs melded into one in a tenuous attempt to make a song sound more (and I hate to use this word) "epic".

Explain.
12.09.2012 - 05:31
Patrick.

Written by RavenKing on 29.07.2011 at 04:54

Looks like I'm in a little minority, because I generally prefer long songs. My favorite songs on an album are generally the longest ones.
I think long songs give more place to tempo changes and build-up. You can develop further than with a short song.

I agree, that's the case with me as well. Longer songs are often what draw most attention because you immediately wonder if they'll be able to pull it off and keep it interesting all the way through. Some might not be "instant pleasers" but in time the magic is revealed. Because of the variety/structure/arrangement it continues to grow.

On roadtrips you stop for a moment to grab a tasty hot-dog, I love that stuff. But there's something special about sitting down with a healthy cooked meal. It feels complete and you end up satisfyingly full afterwards. A song stretching up to 10+ minutes is a crucial testament to how good and mature you are as a songwriter.
22.10.2012 - 12:27
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
SERIOUSLY HOW THE FUCK CAN ANYONE SIT THROUGH SONS OF WINTER AND STARS?!
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
22.10.2012 - 13:00
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by LeChron James on 22.10.2012 at 12:27

Well, it's the best song on Time I I needed a few listens to get enough over the sonic mass and figure out how prominent certain musical themes actually are - it's way beyond the halway point when the intro theme returns as the chorus.
23.03.2013 - 07:32
camilord

I love long lenghts songs. if these are no monotonous and with rithm changes. my favs are: rime of the ancient mariner, halloween (helloween), the oddyssey (symphony x), a change of seasons (dream theater; the ivory gates of dreams (fates warning, keeper of the seven keys (helloween)
27.03.2013 - 14:22
Jtbmetal123

The longer the songs. The better. You get more music.
01.04.2013 - 22:32
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
If you find a great song that's over ten minutes long, it'll be some of the fastest ten minutes of your life. It'll hardly feel like it was over ten minutes; usually it'll feel like it only took five minutes to get through. If it is a horrible 10 minute song, it'll stretch on forever.
----
01.04.2013 - 22:47
Mrs Revolverhead

Written by Jaeryd on 01.04.2013 at 22:32

If you find a great song that's over ten minutes long, it'll be some of the fastest ten minutes of your life. It'll hardly feel like it was over ten minutes; usually it'll feel like it only took five minutes to get through. If it is a horrible 10 minute song, it'll stretch on forever.

I completely agree, I think it mostly depends on whether the song is interesting or not. Though I usually find the experience more pleasant with a good cup of tea or beer and a blank piece of paper at my side. : D
01.04.2013 - 22:55
AIIendeXSiempre

Written by Mrs Revolverhead on 01.04.2013 at 22:47

I completely agree, I think it mostly depends on whether the song is interesting or not. Though I usually find the experience more pleasant with a good cup of tea or beer and a blank piece of paper at my side. : D

Lo que me mantiene escuchando es el hecho de saber que mi lucha no es en vano.
----
EL PUEBLO UNIDO JAMAS SERA VENCIDO
04.04.2013 - 22:44
Mr. Blonde

A long drive, on a snowy afternoon. I have some friends that live almost 2 hours away, and that sort of thing is perfect for the trip.
04.04.2013 - 23:03
ANGEL REAPER

What make me sit trough long song? INSOMNIA! No ,seriously i have literary listened to hours of music on some nights because i have problems to fall asleep...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.04.2013 - 09:23
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Mr. Blonde on 04.04.2013 at 22:44

A long drive, on a snowy afternoon. I have some friends that live almost 2 hours away, and that sort of thing is perfect for the trip.

A long drive is different though. But be real, would the new Wintersun gonna be what you would play if you decide to embark on a long drive tomorrow?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
05.04.2013 - 11:34
Hellbrann

With doom metal, I like to sit in my couch and just listen. Just complete surrender to the flow of the music. With progressive or other songs I just listen while surfing or cleaning. If I travel while listening I just gaze out of the window of train or bus.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
05.04.2013 - 20:20
Patrick.

... Because it's an amazing song, that's why! I think that song is actually so freakin' good, the other two tracks on the album (Land Of Snow And Sorrow and Time) actually falls just a tad short (literally too since it's the longest one) when standing neck to neck with it (though I absolutely love that whole "album", "EP" or whatever the heck you wanna call it. ).
05.04.2013 - 20:29
Patrick.

Written by Hellbrann on 05.04.2013 at 11:34

With doom metal, I like to sit in my couch and just listen. Just complete surrender to the flow of the music.

This is the exact same way I feel with most of what I listen to, but especially Progressive Metal. I find that it's so easy to miss out on some of the stuff that is going on in there, if I don't sit down and really listen. Then on the contrary If it's something like Hard Rock or Pop Metal, I enjoy it more if I'm not sitting still and go for a walk or do some cleaning instead.
16.04.2013 - 12:32
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

Because it's heaps better than the song that comes after it?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
20.04.2013 - 15:53
AdamosMakis

When a song has great lyrics i like long songs. Take Dante's inferno by iced earth. 16 minute song and i can listen to it 3-4 times continually and i still wanna listen to it again