05. The Window
06. Carbonized In Cruciform
07. Den Of The Picquerist
08. Malenchanments Of The Necrosphere
09. The Grave Robber's Work
10. The Raven
11. Great Burning Nullifier
12. Blood In The Ink

Deathcore Hybrid metalcore + melodic death metal - now there's a title that has a really negative stigma surrounding it amongst a large portion of the more discerning metal crowd. Now, normally, I'm against discarding an entire genre, but rather take my sweet time shitting on bands individually. However, considering The Black Dahlia Murder's strangle-hold on being probably the most popular band in the genre, I'm beginning to understand why people are afraid to approach deathcore metalcore + melodic death metal hybrids.

To be fair, these guys appear to be achieving exactly what they are setting out to do; create quasi-extreme music for people who don't normally enjoy extreme music. Admittedly, the first few leads shown in Ritual are actually pretty nifty. Much like eating mini-donuts, the first few are pretty damn good, shortly followed by the realization that you should find other means for sustenance. It seems almost like a compilation of half-assed aspects that are done better by other bands. The blistering extreme thrash moments make me want to listen to Skeletonwitch, the melodic leads make me want to listen to perhaps Arsis, and the "evil" sounding bits make me want to listen to Hannah Montana.

Terrible? Nah. To call Ritual a terrible album would be to say it left some kind of impression. Unremarkable. I like that word; feels comfortable using it on this album. Go eat an entire loaf of white bread with nothing on it, then you'll have an idea of what listening to this album is like. Yeah...it's not a shitty experience, just a pointless one.

Written on 14.07.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 94   Visited by: 381 users
15.07.2011 - 15:01
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 15.07.2011 at 12:18

Wtf are you talking about Doc, this ain't Deathcore, this is clearly Eskimo Influenced Blackened Regressive Homosexual DeathPolkaHeavycore. Jeez, man, get your genres straight and shit.

I approve of your definition
15.07.2011 - 16:59
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Sounds like Buttcore to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
16.07.2011 - 06:23
Mattybu
Good anologies to mini donuts and bread. So easy to understand what you're talking about, more reviews need food metaphors!
16.07.2011 - 08:21
Rating: 9
CrowKiller
Terrible review. I dunno why someone would review an album from a band they obviously don't enjoy. It doesn't matter what genre they are. One must focus on the music unlike you who were trying to take pot shots at "deathcore". This album was great and was really fresh from their previous work. If you knew anything about the band you would notice the differences from their older releases and how much they have developed musically.
16.07.2011 - 08:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by CrowKiller on 16.07.2011 at 08:21

Terrible review. I dunno why someone would review an album from a band they obviously don't enjoy. It doesn't matter what genre they are. One must focus on the music unlike you who were trying to take pot shots at "deathcore". This album was great and was really fresh from their previous work. If you knew anything about the band you would notice the differences from their older releases and how much they have developed musically.

Did you even read the fucking review? Really? Your comment is beyond frustrating based on the complete fallacy of every single sentence you just typed up.

Let's go through this one bit at a time. Let's hope your reading comprehension skills aren't as atrocious as they appear to be based on your initial comment.

Quote:
I dunno why someone would review an album from a band they obviously don't enjoy.

No, I don't enjoy them. I get sent albums by labels to review. If you took the time to read at least one of many posts I've made here, you'll notice I state many times that I had no opinion on the band before hand. This review is about the music found on this album. Nowhere does it state otherwise. If I only reviewed music I enjoyed, reviews would be rendered useless.

Quote:
One must focus on the music unlike you who were trying to take pot shots at "deathcore".

If you read more than a sentence into my opening paragraph, you'll note that I was completely against discarding entire genres, but was merely starting to understand the aversion to certain genres based on their most famous bands.

Quote:
This album was great and was really fresh from their previous work. If you knew anything about the band you would notice the differences from their older releases and how much they have developed musically.

Once again, if you actually read the review you'd notice I was stating how their stale, plain, boring, generic sound was in relativity to metal as a whole. I don't give a fuck how much this album is an improvement of their last one, it still bores the fuck outta me.

Thanks for coming out, champ. Next time, try reading the review before you post.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.07.2011 - 10:12
Rating: 9
CrowKiller
With my comment I set out to prove that ignorance garners a response. It's purposefully written to show you how frustrating it is to read something and know that this guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. That is the same feeling I get when reading your review. Think about it.

What frustrates me is the fact that you are convinced that this band is valiantly mediocre in spite of the extreme variety they present in this album for a band of this style. Knowledge of the band is of great importance when providing a subjective experience on any piece of work. You have to do your research to understand the mechanics behind the band, the motivation behind creating this type of music, the evolution process from point A (first release) to point B (current release). I don't feel like you can give a solid opinion without having any knowledge in the matter. Fair enough, a review is the subjective experience of the reviewer and you've expressed an opinion. However, there has to be a certain degree of objectivity to give it that element of professionalism. I just think your review lacks that. I think your review was more focused on lables rather than music. The Black Dahlia Murder lives and breathes metal. They are self-proclaimed metalheads. They don't make extreme music for people who don't normally enjoy extreme music.

You say you are bored by this album. That is fair enough. It's your opinion. Yet you still gave it a 6.2? Can I remind you that the absolute average is a 5. If this album is as boring as fuck and unremarkable as you make it out to be, surely it deserves a lot lower than 6.2. I enjoy this album and I think it is one of the albums of the year. If in your eyes that makes me part of a less "discerning metal crowd", then you are clearly as ignorant as you sound. I listen to everything from Black Sabbath to Iron Maiden to 3 Inches of Blood to Kataklysm to even the most generic of Deathcore bands. It's because I love metal. It's because I don't give a shit what genre a band is, as long as they play good music, and this band plays damn good music.

Lastly, if the scratched through "Deathcore" doesn't scream "I have a negative opinion on this genre but you have to read between the lines to understand it" then I don't know what does. Stop contradicting yourself.

Anyway I have no interest in playing Internet War with a keyboard warrior such as yourself who is clearly well below the maturity level of a 21 year old man, especially a keyboard warrior (again, such as yourself) with the temperament of a 14 year old school girl. My comment did not attack you personally so it is pretty sad you had to resort to that to defend your shitty review. Just like you are entitled to your opinion on this album (however shitty it may be), the readers of your review are entitled to an opinion on what you have written (however shitty they may be). Frankly, it makes you come out pretty pathetic if you try and defend every single negative comment you receive. Just accept it man. I am sure that my comment will get deleted or I will get a warning of some sorts for this, but I don't think it would be fair seeing as you took a swipe at me first.

On a side note, my reading and comprehension skills are well beyond the average person's level. I should know, I have an honours degree in English studies. In fact I am involved in a profession where reading and comprehension is of paramount importance...and I am pretty damn good at what I do.
16.07.2011 - 10:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by CrowKiller on 16.07.2011 at 10:12

What frustrates me is the fact that you are convinced that this band is valiantly mediocre in spite of the extreme variety they present in this album for a band of this style. Knowledge of the band is of great importance when providing a subjective experience on any piece of work. You have to do your research to understand the mechanics behind the band, the motivation behind creating this type of music, the evolution process from point A (first release) to point B (current release). I don't feel like you can give a solid opinion without having any knowledge in the matter. Fair enough, a review is the subjective experience of the reviewer and you've expressed an opinion. However, there has to be a certain degree of objectivity to give it that element of professionalism. I just think your review lacks that. I think your review was more focused on lables rather than music. The Black Dahlia Murder lives and breathes metal. They are self-proclaimed metalheads. They don't make extreme music for people who don't normally enjoy extreme music.

You say you are bored by this album. That is fair enough. It's your opinion. Yet you still gave it a 6.2? Can I remind you that the absolute average is a 5. If this album is as boring as fuck and unremarkable as you make it out to be, surely it deserves a lot lower than 6.2. I enjoy this album and I think it is one of the albums of the year. If in your eyes that makes me part of a less "discerning metal crowd", then you are clearly as ignorant as you sound. I listen to everything from Black Sabbath to Iron Maiden to 3 Inches of Blood to Kataklysm to even the most generic of Deathcore bands. It's because I love metal. It's because I don't give a shit what genre a band is, as long as they play good music, and this band plays damn good music.

It's all in the review. I actually found the first 2-3 tracks pretty good, then it quickly spirals downhill into mediocrity. Objectivity? Why? So I can make my reviews as dry & sterile as this album? Sorry, I don't have time to listen to their whole discography before deciding these guys deserve a positive review for just tryin' their darndest. I listened to this album, found it to be dry, safe sounding music, all aspects can be found in other bands, doing it better. I'm reviewing this album, not their career. That seems to be the distinction you fail to make here. I don't see how the fact that I haven't been bothered to listen to their previous albums somehow makes my opinions any less valid?

How about you try this - eliminate the first paragraph. Then re-read it. Perhaps then you'll start seeing things differently.

Quote:

Lastly, if the scratched through "Deathcore" doesn't scream "I have a negative opinion on this genre but you have to read between the lines to understand it" then I don't know what does. Stop contradicting yourself.

It's actually a lot easier to read the intent of the paragraph, which is something you completely failed to do...twice now. Try reading it a 3rd time maybe?

Quote:

Anyway I have no interest in playing Internet War with a keyboard warrior such as yourself who is clearly well below the maturity level of a 21 year old man, especially a keyboard warrior (again, such as yourself) with the temperament of a 14 year old school girl. My comment did not attack you personally so it is pretty sad you had to resort to that to defend your shitty review. Just like you are entitled to your opinion on this album (however shitty it may be), the readers of your review are entitled to an opinion on what you have written (however shitty they may be).

The difference is I'm responding mostly to the comments that seemed to have completely twisted the point I was trying to make in order to defend their butthurt fanboy viewpoint. I'm fine with someone saying "yeah, I can't say I agree, this is why ____" but it's a little different when someone basically shits all over something I wrote then supports their backhanded comment by twisting the point, I think I have a right to defend myself.

Quote:
Frankly, it makes you come out pretty pathetic if you try and defend every single negative comment you receive. Just accept it man. I am sure that my comment will get deleted or I will get a warning of some sorts for this, but I don't think it would be fair seeing as you took a swipe at me first.

Nah, I'm not a mod, and I have no interest in banning you or deleting comments, you just seem to have a really one-sided, pre-conceived notion of what the point I was trying to make in the review was. Also, first swipes?
Quote:

Terrible review.

Contrary to what you may believe, I actually do put work into my reviews, and though I can't say I'm really "hurt" by any comments over the internet, I think I have every right to defend myself against a backhanded comment like that made from a viewpoint of complete misinterpretation.
Quote:

On a side note, my reading and comprehension skills are well beyond the average person's level. I should know, I have an honours degree in English studies. In fact I am involved in a profession where reading and comprehension is of paramount importance...and I am pretty damn good at what I do.

I find this very difficult to believe, seeing as you still fail to see really any point that I've tried to make thus far, and your entire critiquing of my review seems to be based entirely off the first paragraph.
----
- George Carlin
16.07.2011 - 11:03
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by CrowKiller on 16.07.2011 at 10:12

Can I remind you that the absolute average is a 5(?)

My turn! My turn!

It's 6 that translates to average here. Look i t up.
16.07.2011 - 16:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I can't friggin believe this, a huge load of posters just getting all butthurt because of a friggin GENRE NAME. How fucking braindead people can be here? And going all "excuse me guy but I have this degree on X so therefore you're just an immature 14 year old girl because your FIRST paragraph is bad man, bad." is just unbelievable, specially on the internet.

This is obvious now... Metalheads are.....are:

----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.07.2011 - 17:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Wow. ForlornSky, for a "master of comprehension" it's more than a little amusing how you fail to comprehend why someone would review something they don't like. Reviewers are not incumbent in reviewing only genres they enjoy. To do so would result in a critical breakdown across publications, the term "critic" would likely lose some of its meaning. Not liking and not understanding are not the same spheres of meaning. Degree holder or not you have no business casting judgement on critical discourses if you can't grasp such a simple paradigm. You can wrap your comment up in a nice little package if you want but I think it's fairly apparent your disdain stems from the reviewer not liking something you regard highly, so please stop attacking his presentation because it's nothing more than a cheap shot. Your proclivity toward enjoying music that is often poorly received critically should be taken into account here methinks, not to mention that your puerile comments mar your apparent lofty academic status and serves to highlight a distinct odor of the "butthurt" axiom. I'd say THAT's what you're damn good at.
16.07.2011 - 17:23
I liked the food analogies.
16.07.2011 - 17:25
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
What Jooe said, or, alternatively, you could try being a human being instead of a cockwobbling tosser.
16.07.2011 - 18:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
And as for the en masse derision of Doc's genre classification I think it's a safe bet to surmise that a good 90+ percent majority of those partaking in the bitch-fest gleaned their superior genre knowledge not from careful examination of the music at hand but simply glancing at popular sources of such classification such as Last.fm tags, Metal Archives etc, and passing off those lovely spoonfed nugget sized morsels of information off to others as if they came to the conclusion themselves. If those websites said this was chicken-fagcore you'd probably relay that information here like the network of morons that typify the internet's metal population. More examples of popularised mass opinion being propagated with an arrogant swagger by those who can't be arsed to think outside the box. In other words: shut the fuck up, y'all. You is well boring innit.
16.07.2011 - 21:25
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
This album did nothing for me. I did enjoy a couple of their previous releases but this album just doesn't sound new to me. Already to many bands out there doing this sound. Its good yes, but is it Black Dahlia Murder worthy? Nope.
19.07.2011 - 00:33
sordid
I think 6.2 it's very low for this album,doc.it's your opinion,ok,but let me tell you something... there are a lot of bands playing similar sound,but none does it like or even better than black dahlia.they have always a different approach from album to album,without losing their "brandmark".

most of TBDM albums need some time to digest and to see the difference between the common and boring stuff.this album has a lot of great stuff.
i think you voted this album with the syndrome of deathcore style,without knowing what's TBDM and without knowing this album!
19.07.2011 - 00:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by sordid on 19.07.2011 at 00:33

I think 6.2 it's very low for this album,doc.it's your opinion,ok,but let me tell you something... there are a lot of bands playing similar sound,but none does it like or even better than black dahlia.they have always a different approach from album to album,without losing their "brandmark".

most of TBDM albums need some time to digest and to see the difference between the common and boring stuff.this album has a lot of great stuff.
i think you voted this album with the syndrome of deathcore style,without knowing what's TBDM and without knowing this album!

No, I didn't actually. The title of deathcore had nothing to do with my judging of this album. I gave it plenty of listens actually, and quite frankly it got progressively more boring the more I listened to it.
----
- George Carlin
27.07.2011 - 00:40
sordid
Written by Doc G. on 19.07.2011 at 00:46

Written by sordid on 19.07.2011 at 00:33

No, I didn't actually. The title of deathcore had nothing to do with my judging of this album. I gave it plenty of listens actually, and quite frankly it got progressively more boring the more I listened to it.

lol.ok,that's your oppinion.anyways,do you like any band you could say it's similar to TBDM?
02.08.2011 - 15:45
Ander
Pretty disappointing review.

I don't care about genres, I'm not a huge TBDM fan and I have nothing personal against the reviewer.

It's just extremely poor for a very simple reason: Doc Godin gives an entirely polarized point of view, with close to nothing of the structure and method appropriate when professionally reviewing a piece of music. Oh yeah, the sound is described with a couple of interesting comparisons... and absolutely nothing but personal impressions to back it up. I wouldn't have reacted if this was an amateur review, but I had to comment this as a staff review because it truly is of amateur level (and PLEASE, avoid the sempiternal "then write it yourself" answer) and simply doesn't give any objective assessment of the band's performance, creativity and evolution over time. You may view this album as unremarkable, which is perfectly acceptable, unfortunately your review was quite remarkably pointless as well.
02.08.2011 - 17:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
^ Yawn
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.08.2011 - 18:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So this guy wants reviews that aren't polarized? That's a new one.

"Well this album is pretty fantastic, it does everything extremely well whilst maintaining its integrity and originality. But then again you could argue that it's pretty terrible. Poorly constructed and clearly ripping off its contemporaries"

Yeah that would work.
02.08.2011 - 21:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
You know what would be swell?

if average album ratings by user were displayed below their name when commenting on album reviews... much like the user's score for the album is displayed when commenting on the album thread.

that way you could immediately discount the opinion of anyone who has an average album score of, say, 8.91.

if someone thinks that pretty much anything recorded is the best album ever, obviously they aren't going to react at all well to anyone who uses MS criteria (6 = average, 7 = good, etc) when rating an album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.08.2011 - 22:27
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
I like eating white bread with nothing in it, but i don't think i'll enjoy this album as much as I enjoy my bread
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
08.05.2012 - 11:04
Bones222
Interesting review... entitled to your opinion, find it interesting that we went through a similair scenario labelling genres (and bagging out) during the mid 90's when nu- metal became popular. Mello death, metalcore etc, etc. I'm just thankful music has taken a turn towards the extreme again and as many people have posted on the site all genres can be regarded as "metal". I have a few friends who take offence at what "metalcore" has become, but would rather be listening to some of the latest releases than "Usher" or "Lady Gaga" but then again maybe it's me whose being bias?
13.06.2012 - 21:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I love reading the comments on some reviews, more than the actual review
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.06.2012 - 21:39
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by CrowKiller on 16.07.2011 at 08:21

Terrible review. I dunno why someone would review an album from a band they obviously don't enjoy.

So let's go around and give out ten's all day! Yeah! Then we can eat Lollipops and Ride Unicorns too!

If we didn't have negative reviews (even though this is an "average" review) they would become REALLY boring, and I mean, I think I prefer reading reviews that don't like an album, for they usually are more descriptive (of why it sucks )

The guy who wrote

Quote:
Oh No! Someone on the internet has an Opinion!

was completely right, It's just someones opinion, and if it's different than yours, deal the fuck with it.

My two cents on the album is exactly the same as the review, boring and stale.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.06.2012 - 17:21
Rating: 10
This review is shit. This was a genre judgement. You should not be reviewing this album at all...waste of my time to read it.
25.06.2012 - 18:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by RationalGaze713 on 24.06.2012 at 17:21

This review is shit. This was a genre judgement. You should not be reviewing this album at all...waste of my time to read it.

Agree and disagree. Disagree, it's not a genre judgement. Agree, it probably is a waste of time to read...well, anything really, if your reading comprehension is that poor. Try omitting the first paragraph perhaps.
----
- George Carlin
04.07.2012 - 18:16
metalistmental
Account deleted
I feel as if these music reviews are a bit pointless. Everyone has different tastes.
I mean, it's fine to have opinions...but people get paid for this stuff? I don't know if this reviewer gets paid or not, but people do and it's kind of stupid. I really liked this album, but Doc Godin didn't, I don't understand why that has to have an entire thread.
Sure, it's cool to share opinions and discuss bands etc. But it's pretty ignorant to disregard something someone else might like. I think it is a hypocrisy in the name of the definition of music.
04.07.2012 - 18:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 04.07.2012 at 18:16
I mean, it's fine to have opinions...but people get paid for this stuff?

Some people still do, but none of us here get paid to write reviews. We're all volunteers.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.07.2012 - 18:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 04.07.2012 at 18:16
I mean, it's fine to have opinions...but people get paid for this stuff?

Like Troy pointed out, we don't get paid... The bands and labels ask the official reviewers to review albums and that's it.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 11037 | This month: 28