08. Cryptogenic Desires
09. Acquired Taste
10. Painful Detour

Top 20 albums of 2011: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 180

Guest review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
2011 proved to be a smorgasbord of interesting progressive metal acts, so much so that it was extremely difficult to keep up with the near constant influx of exhilarating, perplexing and fascinating material. When a progressive metal band attempts to release their own music into such a diverse and lively atmosphere one thing above all else is imperative to their receiving of your attention. Mushrooms! But seriously while that is some eye grabbing cover art which adorns Leprous' latest album Bilateral what is it about the music within that brings the band to the forefront of such a prosperous year for progressive metal?

Read more ››
published 14.01.2012 | Comments (6)

A highly anticipated release from this up-and-coming Norwegian outfit, Leprous has exceeded almost insurmountable expectations. Their previous effort, Tall Poppy Syndrome, was thoroughly enjoyable but somewhat derivative (...Opeth). The off-beat brilliance hinted at before is fully realized and really shines with the dynamics of beautiful production. As the touring band for Ihsahn recently, it is appropriate that the man himself would make an appearance to add to the intensity of it all. Soaring vocals, great atmospheres, and techie musicianship make this a recommendation for fans of Arcturus, Devin Townsend and Shaolin Death Squad. (And Opeth... duh.)

Introspekrieg's picks | More picks ››

Found in 75 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 1263 users
15.07.2011 - 06:25
Rating: 9
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Yes! New song online: Restless
19.07.2011 - 18:11
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Mm... I don't really like the song. The cover art is great though.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.07.2011 - 19:16
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Oh sweet! didn't know a new one would be coming out soon. Tall Poppy Syndrome was a fab album of prog

EDIT: new song sounds pretty good too, but how do I bloody adjust the volume on facebook's player?
----
loves 小巫
30.07.2011 - 16:05
MechanisT
Account deleted
I just discovered Leprous with Tall Poppy Syndrome and their music is awesome! Looking forward to the new one. Nice cover, btw.
02.08.2011 - 23:25
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Ok, now this song is undeniably awesome: Thorn (ft. Ihsahn)

It figures Ihsahn would lend a hand eventually, considering Leprous were his touring band last year

Trumpets? FTW
05.08.2011 - 10:30
qlacs
"The Quaker"
These new songs are even more complex than on the debut
----
20.08.2011 - 22:55
qlacs
"The Quaker"
We got a leak, and the album - is awesome.
----
21.08.2011 - 01:58
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Look what just came in the mail!
21.08.2011 - 09:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Introspekrieg on 21.08.2011 at 01:58

Look what just came in the mail!

one day earlier? cool. so how is it? I can't really get into either of the two songs. I actually have sort of a problem with Leprous. I listened to Tall Poppy Syndrome for many times, and it seems that I like it, but I somehow cannot remember it. To put it the other way, when listening to the album I sort of enjoy each song quite a lot but then when I finish listening I don't feel any satisfaction or something. Maybe I should listen to it more attentively...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

21.08.2011 - 10:11
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 21.08.2011 at 09:49

one day earlier? cool. so how is it? I can't really get into either of the two songs. I actually have sort of a problem with Leprous. I listened to Tall Poppy Syndrome for many times, and it seems that I like it, but I somehow cannot remember it. To put it the other way, when listening to the album I sort of enjoy each song quite a lot but then when I finish listening I don't feel any satisfaction or something. Maybe I should listen to it more attentively...

I don't know, this album is a bit different, much better imo. Tall Poppy Syndrome was great, but far too reliant on influences. This one incorporates the best refreshing parts of TPS with a much more focused songwriting.
22.08.2011 - 21:01
AXA
This album for relax ,awesome tune and strong voice vocalist , nice album from 1 moment to the end .
23.08.2011 - 09:15
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Finally, a stand out prog album from 2011!
----
loves 小巫
24.08.2011 - 15:45
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by AXA on 22.08.2011 at 21:01

This album for relax ,awesome tune and strong voice vocalist , nice album from 1 moment to the end .

Einar is an amazing vocalist, he really stands out on this recording. Here's some behind the scenes:
25.08.2011 - 00:18
silenius
Eargasm all the way, awesome album
25.08.2011 - 02:39
AXA
Written by Introspekrieg on 24.08.2011 at 15:45

Written by AXA on 22.08.2011 at 21:01

Einar is an amazing vocalist, he really stands out on this recording. Here's some behind the scenes:

hi thanks for this video . good voice ,Awesome vocalist , this video in Ihsahn studio .
25.08.2011 - 12:46
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I really like the first 4 songs and Painful Detour. I can't really get into the others.
----
28.08.2011 - 15:59
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Not bad at all. Waste Of Air is my fav so far.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
28.08.2011 - 16:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
One of the great prog albums of the year. Definitely.

Also, this is my first Leprous album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.08.2011 - 00:37
Awesomesaurus
Bilateral is very listenable but also very complex and multi-layered album. I love it.

Personal favorites: Mb. Indifferentia and Painful Detour.
----
Always be a poet, even in prose.

A man who wants to lead the whole orchestra - must turn his back to the crowd.
10.09.2011 - 10:15
Night Sight
I love "thorn".specially when ihsahn sings
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
14.09.2011 - 08:29
AXA
I really love this album more than opeth new album , and i prefer hear this album its very good sound
and nice stuff , every think new , its normally a greatfull album .
16.09.2011 - 13:51
dizzl
I was like, wtf, they from norway?? I was not bored 1sec through this album, cool riffs, good vocals and overall energetic music. its like they have not taken the "prog" label to serious, which is a good thing.
22.09.2011 - 06:19
Soulhole
I've never heard of these guys until Bilateral hit the MS charts a few days ago. All I can say is wow! Reminds me of Riverside, no wonder they share the same label. Totally awesome!
28.09.2011 - 15:00
Rating: 10
DrM
DreaMutilated
Written by dizzl on 16.09.2011 at 13:51

I was like, wtf, they from norway?? I was not bored 1sec through this album, cool riffs, good vocals and overall energetic music. its like they have not taken the "prog" label to serious, which is a good thing.

Not necessarily, the very first song has a 7/8 time signature and this is just them warming up (as a drummer myself I really like unusual time signatures). I'd say that's a pretty proggy album.

In my view it's not that they're not taking Prog too seriously, it's like they don't force it like most bands nowadays do (ironic that one of the songs is actually called "Forced In"), they just flow with the music. The result is a complex yet addictive and catchy album.
29.09.2011 - 16:44
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
The first five listens I was trying to understand this album, and the first two or three I did not like it at all. Now, the last two or three listens I have actually been enjoying it. I am still amazed at how perception changes with time.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.10.2011 - 03:01
Soulhole
Whoa! The last half of Forced Entry is fucking amazing. This guy can belt it out
09.10.2011 - 22:21
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Just gave it the third spin.
I can now say this album is excellent, the vocalist steals the show IMO. Very Muse/Tool influenced.
11.10.2011 - 00:06
The Benighted
This is definitely their best album. Only reason this is lower is because of idiot downvoters trying to boost albums.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
15.10.2011 - 23:44
Czerny Reiter
So sugary, so mellow, so powerful, so all of that and more, blended thoroughly in an excellently paced, diverse and entertaining record. Contender for top prog this year.
25.10.2011 - 14:16
Risto
Wandering Midget
I'm going to buy this album. I thought this year's personal top 3 would be unchallenged, but Bilateral disagrees!

Hits total: 27623 | This month: 55